PDA

View Full Version : Drivers who sign waaay in advance

Mark
6th November 2007, 13:43
Dzeidzei's crazy thread did make me think of situations where drivers have signed with other F1 teams, sometimes more than a year before they are due to start driving for them.

Sometimes this is announced at the time, sometimes it is kept secret.

Ones I can think of are:
Heinz Harald Frentzen signed for the 1997 season with Williams at the end of 1995. But this wasn't revealed until the end of 1996 when Damon Hill was dumped.

Raikkonen signed for Ferrari possibly as soon as early 2005.
Alonso announced his intention to drive for McLaren in 2007 before the 2006 season.
Montoya announced before the start of the 2004 season that he was to drive for McLaren in 2005.

What other drivers have confirmed they are driving for another team the year after before the current season had even started?

passmeatissue
6th November 2007, 14:22
Fernando, Ferrari 2009 ???

ioan
6th November 2007, 14:50
Fernando, Ferrari 2009 ???

I thought the question was about who CONFIRMED such moves, not what some believe! :p :

Mark
6th November 2007, 15:17
Well it is also about those who kept it secret, but I'm talking about in the past, not future!

Wilderness
6th November 2007, 16:16
Unless it's a "dream job" at Ferrari, sighning a contract over 8-12 months in advance is plain stupid. Too much can happen in that span of time, engines deals fall through, rules changes on a daily basis (one tire supplier rule comes to mind), sponsors business decisions, etc., that can drastically change the outlook for a team.

I don't recall anyone who signed that far ahead other than those examples... :p :

6th November 2007, 17:45
I have no link to prove it, but I'm fairly certain that Alain Prost had signed for Williams-Renault to drive in the 1993 season before the start of the 1992 season. His deal for 93 was announced around the Portugeuse GP of 92, but I reckon he'd signed long, long before that.

I know he tested a Ligier-Renault in the close season, but then opted to sit out the 92 season.

It was pretty obvious why he decided to do that, and it was pretty obvious all that season where he was going in 1993.

Like I said, I have no evidence that Williams had signed him that early, but I would be very surprised if they hadn't.

Dave B
6th November 2007, 19:32
Hugo Hakkinen will be a McLaren driver in 2021. You read it here first ;)

BDunnell
6th November 2007, 20:21
Jacky Ickx signing for Lotus in 1974 was a disastrous failure. When he signed, the Lotus 72 was one of the cars to have and Ferrari was on a downturn. When 1974 came around, the Lotus 72 (in spite of Ickx's brilliant Race of Champions win) was on a downturn and Ferrari was on the up again. His F1 career never recovered.

inimitablestoo
6th November 2007, 20:27
Technically I suppose Villeneuve was signed for BAR long before BAR had finalised its very existence - I first saw that story in what was then Motoring News in mid-1997, and they didn't even take over Tyrrell until December that year. Beat that - a driver signs for a team so early, the team doesn't even exist yet...

Valve Bounce
6th November 2007, 22:34
Unless it's a "dream job" at Ferrari, sighning a contract over 8-12 months in advance is plain stupid. Too much can happen in that span of time, engines deals fall through, rules changes on a daily basis (one tire supplier rule comes to mind), sponsors business decisions, etc., that can drastically change the outlook for a team.

I don't recall anyone who signed that far ahead other than those examples... :p :
The car can become a pig; as bunsen found out when he reneged on his Williams contract. To make it worse, now that Frank has Toyota Power for his tanks, Franks cars seem to be powering on.

Juts goes to show.

However, Barrichello signing ahead of time may just work out as the Honda simply cannot be that bad and can only improve. He also got himself locked into an F1 drive for next year. So some signings work out, others don't.

Wilderness
6th November 2007, 23:10
Yes, in this case if Wubens doesn't lock in, he's out of F1.

Dzeidzei
7th November 2007, 08:18
Dzeidzei's crazy thread did make me think of situations where drivers have signed with other F1 teams, sometimes more than a year before they are due to start driving for them.

Sometimes this is announced at the time, sometimes it is kept secret.

Ones I can think of are:
Heinz Harald Frentzen signed for the 1997 season with Williams at the end of 1995. But this wasn't revealed until the end of 1996 when Damon Hill was dumped.

Raikkonen signed for Ferrari possibly as soon as early 2005.
Alonso announced his intention to drive for McLaren in 2007 before the 2006 season.
Montoya announced before the start of the 2004 season that he was to drive for McLaren in 2005.

What other drivers have confirmed they are driving for another team the year after before the current season had even started?

This is a very valid topic as you have to think about consequences. Will the driver give 100% for the old team, will he be able to join technical meetings etc.?

IŽd be very uncomfortable on either side of the pitwall in a situation like that. Now it seems quite clear that RD knew about KimiŽs Ferrari deal already in 2005. I think thats the reason for talking to FA.

As a team owner Id kick this kind of driver out immediately. I couldnt act for a year talking about good relationships and improving the car while I knew that was bs all day long.

But bs is the 2nd language in the paddock, isnt it?

SteveA
7th November 2007, 09:30
Well it is also about those who kept it secret, but I'm talking about in the past, not future!

Then shouldn't this thread be in History and Nostalgia?

;)

wedge
7th November 2007, 13:31
I have no link to prove it, but I'm fairly certain that Alain Prost had signed for Williams-Renault to drive in the 1993 season before the start of the 1992 season. His deal for 93 was announced around the Portugeuse GP of 92, but I reckon he'd signed long, long before that.

I know he tested a Ligier-Renault in the close season, but then opted to sit out the 92 season.

It was pretty obvious why he decided to do that, and it was pretty obvious all that season where he was going in 1993.

Like I said, I have no evidence that Williams had signed him that early, but I would be very surprised if they hadn't.

It's true.

It's in Mansell autobiography. At the start of '92 season Frank asked Nigel if he minded if Prost would be his team-mate. Nige thought he was kidding and said no and they never touched the subject until that summer because Frank knew Nige would go mental and probably wouldn't be able to concentrate to fight for WDC.

Frank is a canny operator. He said he doesn't like big egoes and their inflated salaries and yet he has the habit of going behind people's backs and paying 'inflated' salaries for big names - which happily brings us to Senna. He signed to Williams at the start of 1993 when he decided to stay in F1.

Mikeall
9th November 2007, 17:42
Shouldn't this be in nostalgia?

truefan72
9th November 2007, 20:44
I think Button signed early with Williams resulting in his fiasco

Yes and I agree that signing very early is never a good idea.
It does give the driver some insurance and a guranteed seat for the next year, but might diminish his value within his current team as well as his motivation.

wedge
10th November 2007, 15:13
I think Button signed early with Williams resulting in his fiasco

Yes and I agree that signing very early is never a good idea.
It does give the driver some insurance and a guranteed seat for the next year, but might diminish his value within his current team as well as his motivation.

You're slightly wrong there.

JPM was originally with Williams, was supposed to drive in 2000 but decided to stay in the US to win Indy that year. That meant Frank had no driver for that season hence the test showdown of Button vs. Junquira and therefore a guaranteed short term race seat. Button impressed Williams greatly and was farmed out whilst still under contract because Button turned down a test seat. At the time JPM and Ralf were Frank's choice of top drivers - hence the fiasco that followed.

truefan72
10th November 2007, 20:20
You're slightly wrong there.

JPM was originally with Williams, was supposed to drive in 2000 but decided to stay in the US to win Indy that year. That meant Frank had no driver for that season hence the test showdown of Button vs. Junquira and therefore a guaranteed short term race seat. Button impressed Williams greatly and was farmed out whilst still under contract because Button turned down a test seat. At the time JPM and Ralf were Frank's choice of top drivers - hence the fiasco that followed.

i stand corrected :)

jwhite9185
12th November 2007, 12:31
Wasn't Zanardi supposed to be still under contract to Williams in 2000? Then when he left in late 99 Frank had an empty seat to fill.

jens
12th November 2007, 17:21
Zanardi had a 3-year-deal (Frank was so convinced in the Italian after his back-to-back CART titles), but he was forced out already after first year. A good lesson - never sign anyone with a long-term contract unless you are sure in the driver's abilities.

Hondo
12th November 2007, 17:59
On the flip side, I remember Senna contracting with McLaren for one Gran Prix at a time, always ready to go if a better offer came along. Smart man.

ArrowsFA1
13th November 2007, 08:22
It's true.

It's in Mansell autobiography. At the start of '92 season Frank asked Nigel if he minded if Prost would be his team-mate. Nige thought he was kidding and said no and they never touched the subject until that summer because Frank knew Nige would go mental and probably wouldn't be able to concentrate to fight for WDC.
Mansell certainly wanted the team to remain as it had been in 1991/2, but as far as Patrese was concerned Williams in 1993 would be Prost & Mansell so he signed for Benetton. Very soon after that Mansell announced his move to the States. Had he known of the doubts over Mansell's position, or had Mansell given him any indication he may not be staying then the Williams 1993 line-up would have been Prost/Patrese.

It's funny how these things happen, and yet how significantly they can affect so many peoples careers.

Mark
13th November 2007, 08:24
Much like how Renaults momentary uncertainty over their future in F1 resulted in Alonso jumping to McLaren.