PDA

View Full Version : Michael Schumacher to test Ferrari at Barcelona tests...

Giuseppe F1
6th November 2007, 10:26
Helping Ferrari with the transition to non-TC cars from 2008. Good move IMO, if he can benefit the team with his experience in this period of technical transition and is still on the Ferrari payroll as it were, then why not? Look forward to see how he goes:

================================================== ===
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071106092650.shtml

Schumacher to test F2007
To take part in Barcelona tests (06/11/07 09:26)

Michael Schumacher will drive Ferrari's 2007 formula one car at the upcoming post-season test at Circuit de Catalunya.

The retired seven time world champion has ruled out wild speculation that he might replace Fernando Alonso at McLaren next year.

But it did emerge late on Monday that Schumacher, who raced for the Italian team between 1996 and last year, will emerge from the Ferrari garage early next week at the wheel of the championship-winning F2007 in Barcelona.

At Valencia where the German impressively tested Ducati's MotoGP bike on Monday, Schumacher told the newspaper Bild-Zeitung that he would test the Ferrari not for fun but to contribute to the team's development programme ahead of the traction control ban in 2008.

"I am glad that I can help the team," he said.

Source GMM
© CAPSIS International

pino
6th November 2007, 10:49
Welcome back Michael :D

555-04Q2
6th November 2007, 10:57
Kimi must still be in the pub then if they need MS :p :

Mark
6th November 2007, 11:00
The current world champion and a world class driver.. no we won't bother with either of our current drivers we'll get someone who hasn't driven one of our cars in over a year.

Smart :s

555-04Q2
6th November 2007, 11:03
The current world champion and a world class driver.. no we won't bother with either of our current drivers we'll get someone who hasn't driven one of our cars in over a year.

The most successful driver of all time in F1 testing for you is smart if you ask me :s tareup:

pino
6th November 2007, 11:04

This someone is MS... remeber that ;)

Valve Bounce
6th November 2007, 11:57
This someone is MS... remeber that ;)

WHO?? :confused:

Giuseppe F1
6th November 2007, 12:31
LOL! Nice :)

ArrowsFA1
6th November 2007, 12:51
Good move IMO, if he can benefit the team with his experience in this period of technical transition and is still on the Ferrari payroll as it were, then why not?
Michael himself has said that his knowledge of driving has become quickly out of date given the rapid pace of developments so it's difficult to see what the aim of his run in the car will be. I guess his knowledge of cars without electronic aids may help the team, but whether Michael's suggestions match Kimi & Felipe's (as well as testers Luca & Marc's) is another question, and they will be driving the car in 2008...won't they :crazy: :p

"I have to admit that my knowledge is restricted by time. I would have to freshen it up constantly in order to be of help. I see many former drivers who try to comment on what is going on but they are struggling. They are simply no longer deep in the business anymore."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61266

Garry Walker
6th November 2007, 13:39
Great news

ioan
6th November 2007, 15:16
Wonderful news!
Good to see him back! :)

Donney
6th November 2007, 15:58
He might be out of date, but I'm sure his feedback is as useful as ever. Good move by ferrari.

Roamy
6th November 2007, 16:19
basher here !! But I think it is great to put him back in the car. The question is will they publish the times. It could be a good check on the current car

93VTEC
6th November 2007, 16:25
Just a PR stunt.

ioan
6th November 2007, 16:45
Just a PR stunt.

Yeah, that's what a team that just won both Championships needs! :rolleyes:

Wilderness
6th November 2007, 16:56
I guess his knowledge of cars without electronic aids may help the team...
You mean knowledge from the guy who ahad TC and other banned electronics at his disposal from 1994 on? ("but never proven to have used them in racing conditions...") His vast F1 experience is probably 13 years with drivers aids, not without them!

DonJippo
6th November 2007, 17:11
Yeah, that's what a team that just won both Championships needs! :rolleyes:

It is said to be one-off test so what real development you are expecting to happen as a result of it?

Sounds more like a joy ride for Michael and the expected media coverage will not do any harm either I'm sure...

ioan
6th November 2007, 17:16
You mean knowledge from the guy who ahad TC and other banned electronics at his disposal from 1994 on? ("but never proven to have used them in racing conditions...") His vast F1 experience is probably 13 years with drivers aids, not without them!

And you, like fousto, have plenty of proof but decided to keep it for yourself! :rolleyes:

akv89
6th November 2007, 17:22

I don't know about Massa, but I remember Kimi saying that he does not intend to test at Barcelona.

Wilderness
6th November 2007, 17:31
And you, like fousto, have plenty of proof but decided to keep it for yourself! :rolleyes:
Here's a start:
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=655&FS=F1

janneppi
6th November 2007, 18:11
It is said to be one-off test so what real development you are expecting to happen as a result of it?

Sounds more like a joy ride for Michael and the expected media coverage will not do any harm either I'm sure...
It's simple really, Schumcher has signed for McLaren alongside Hamilton, but is still contracted by Ferrari and can't drive the McLaren until next year, he'll need all the laps he can get. ;)

Wilderness
6th November 2007, 18:12
It's a three way seat swap, MS to McL, FA to Toyota and Ralf to pasture...

rabf1
6th November 2007, 18:18
This seems crazy to me. From MS's perspective, why take the risk? Foolish.

Juppe
6th November 2007, 18:56
Michael just wants to have a taste, what its like to drive a title winning car, cause its been a while. :)

Nothing wrong with that and if he can contribute some insight, its even better. But I think this is more out of Michaels desire to have a taste than an actual need from Ferrari's part.

But Michael driving has got plenty of PR-value, so its good in many respects.

JovialJooles
6th November 2007, 23:28
I'm obviously missing something here.

MS is doing a one off test.

Why all the posts about it being wonderful news?

It's meaningless, he's not coming back and as someone has pointed out, he himself has admitted he is already out of touch with developments.

Your delight at the news he is doing a one off test is such a vote of confidence for the new world champion.

Wilderness
7th November 2007, 00:05
ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

ten-tenths
7th November 2007, 01:33
["Michael has a big experience in driving cars with no traction control and no electronic aids, so it makes sense for him to give his input," said Schumacher's spokeswoman.

Although Schumacher said in May he had no desire to step back into a Formula One car, team boss Jean Todt has made clear that the offer was always there. ]

seems like the article states he will have some input into next years car, someone else mentioned this but shouldn't kimi have a greater say into how the car should be to fit his style? (he also had expierence w/o traction control f1 cars). i thought next year kimi would repeat because he would have more say in car development to better to fit his style of driving, but now i think massa will benefit more because of shumi's input. shumi can't stay away and let kimi alone! :)

ten-tenths
7th November 2007, 01:36
oh, and i like the irony of the spokeswomans statement.... shumi had electronic aid.... it was called OPTION 13! but i digress

555-04Q2
7th November 2007, 06:48
Your delight at the news he is doing a one off test is such a vote of confidence for the new world champion.

:erm: If you can get Kimi to come out of the pub and actually attend the Barcelona tests, then we will have more confidence :s tareup:

DonJippo
7th November 2007, 07:15
:erm: If you can get Kimi to come out of the pub and actually attend the Barcelona tests, then we will have more confidence :s tareup:

Why bother? Didn't do that last year either and it did turn out all good for the season :D

wmcot
7th November 2007, 07:44
Whatever the reason - PR stunt or actual test for data - it will be interesting to see how he performs in the car.

Before you all bash this, you ought to remember Mika Hakkinen doing something similar for McLaren a couple of years ago! And don't forget Nigel Mansell in the Jordan!

Juppe
7th November 2007, 07:58
Whatever the reason - PR stunt or actual test for data - it will be interesting to see how he performs in the car.

Before you all bash this, you ought to remember Mika Hakkinen doing something similar for McLaren a couple of years ago! And don't forget Nigel Mansell in the Jordan!

Mika Häkkinen drove McLaren less than a year ago! It was a PR-stunt (as well), but also to keep Mika out of F1 driving for a lesser team.

555-04Q2
7th November 2007, 08:19
Why bother? Didn't do that last year either and it did turn out all good for the season :D

Touche :up: :p :

Giuseppe F1
7th November 2007, 09:52
basher here !! But I think it is great to put him back in the car. The question is will they publish the times. It could be a good check on the current car

Of course they will as its a public F1 test where there will be many teams in attendance.....not as if this is a secret, foggy day at Fiorano or Mugello

ShiftingGears
7th November 2007, 09:57
Schumacher to MotoGP 2008 :up: :p :

SteveA
7th November 2007, 10:23
Just a PR stunt.

Is that rhyming slang for something?

jas123f1
7th November 2007, 12:55
I think there are two aspects to MS testing. The first is that team like to use everything possible to improve. The other one is to show that Ferrari is a team "for ever". I think also Kimi has very difficult to even think to drive to some oyher team. He said in Brazil "i love the team", can any one think he would say that about McLaren? I think "Ice Man" melt for a moment.. :) in Brazil..

ioan
7th November 2007, 13:52
I think there are two aspects to MS testing. The first is that team like to use everything possible to improve. The other one is to show that Ferrari is a team "for ever". I think also Kimi has very difficult to even think to drive to some oyher team. He said in Brazil "i love the team", can any one think he would say that about McLaren? I think "Ice Man" melt for a moment.. :) in Brazil..

You're right, Ferrari are the team where there is passion! That's why they have so many supporters (not around here obviously)!

SGWilko
7th November 2007, 15:17
I guess his knowledge of cars without electronic aids

Did he actually ever drive a car that did not have TC (legal or otherwise)?

I seem to remember there was always contoversy over the acoustics/harmonics recorded of his team's 'non TC' cars accellerating, and how they uncannily sounded like there was a form of TC being employed.

Edit - oh yes, the 1991 Jordan, but the clutch got fried, so that doesn't count.

SGWilko
7th November 2007, 15:25
Is that rhyming slang for something?

Dick Emery! (OYAA,BILY)

Firstgear
7th November 2007, 15:45
MS has said himself that he is already out of touch with development, so I think it's just for PR. But his eagerness to attend races and now to get back into the car do help confirm one thing. He didn't want to retire, he was pushed aside last year to make room for Kimi.

ioan
7th November 2007, 16:17
Getting up to date with the development isn't that much complicated for someone who quit only at the end of last season and has attended several races with the team this year.

If it would be that difficult than young drivers coming from GP2 or lower formulas would never adapt to F1, and that isn't the case.

He has the technical knowledge and the driving skills to be up there after a day or two of testing.

ioan
7th November 2007, 16:18

I seem to remember there was always contoversy over the acoustics/harmonics recorded of his team's 'non TC' cars accellerating, and how they uncannily sounded like there was a form of TC being employed.

Edit - oh yes, the 1991 Jordan, but the clutch got fried, so that doesn't count.

Still controversy is no proof for anything but bias.

OmarF1
7th November 2007, 16:56
I think it's a fair move for MS, remember since Michael and his technical team from Benetton joined Ferrari back in '96, the team has produced a lot of winning cars, this year's ferrari was a consequence of MS's talent to develop cars, In mi honest opinion, Kimi owns Michael a lot for his championship, he arrived to a really well structured team, and this year's car it is a product of a 10 year work for Ferrari that starded with the arrival of MS, remember that it took 4 years to Michael to win a WDC, and it is no casualty that Kimi wins in his first attempt....

With this I'm in no way taking credit from Kimi's achievements, but I would like to see a real Kimi-Massa-Ferrari team and let them build their own success and not being carried by Schumi's wave, Schumy will not be there forever, in fact Ferrari must search in a short term an independence from the Schumacher era if you know what I mean..

SGWilko
7th November 2007, 17:47
Still controversy is no proof for anything but bias.

Controversial!

JovialJooles
7th November 2007, 22:07

So winning the World Championship isn't good enough for you?

He won the world championship in the 2007 car. What the hell does he need to test it for in winter?

Funny, I seem to remember MS used to take a holiday from the end of the season until January.

I suppose now Ferrari have won both Championships and there is no new McLaren controversy, you can now turn on Kimi. Who next? Ross? Jean?

Strewth...

7th November 2007, 22:23
I seem to remember MS used to take a holiday from the end of the season until January.

He did, after about 2002.

The thing that strikes me as obvious but nobody seems to have realized it yet is it is precisely because the current world champion is on holiday that Michael is testing next week.

It's called 'Holiday Cover'.

bblocker68
7th November 2007, 22:49
I dont see how one of the greatest drivers could hurt anything by giving Ferrari good telemetry. He was "pretty good" when the cars didn't have TC once upon a time.....

aryan
8th November 2007, 00:01

Well.. the current world champion and the world class driver is... still in the pub :D He said he won't be driving in November and will take the time out. Well good for him.

This is a one-off test, in the 2007 car. No real development can happen with a driver who has not driven the car.

aryan
8th November 2007, 00:12
Did he actually ever drive a car that did not have TC ?

:laugh:

Well... Kimi might not have much experience driving without TC either, after all he was driving a Ferrari-built car in 2001! ;-)

ten-tenths
8th November 2007, 00:47

oh and then there was this:

In July 1991 Tom Walkinshaw was appointed Engineering Director of Benetton. He immediately set about establishing a new purpose-built facility for the team and began hiring a new generation of engineers to meet F1's new challenges. One of these new men was Czapski, hired by Walkinshaw in the autumn of 1992 to work on Benetton's advanced electronics systems which included active suspension, automatic gearboxes, ABS and traction control. He was responsible for control systems in the Benetton-Ford B193 transmission. In October 1993, however, the FIA voted to ban all electronic systems and introduced a rule which said that the driver must drive his car "alone and unaided".

The 1994 season began with much suspicion that, despite the ban, some teams were still using electronic systems. The wrangling came to a head in August that year when the FIA announced that it had analyzed the software of Michael Schumacher's Benetton at the San Marino Grand Prix and discovered that the system included a "launch control" feature which could be activated with a laptop computer using a mysterious "option 13" on a list of 10 options. The FIA investigation concluded that there was "no direct evidence" of traction control having been used - although Benetton was fined $100,000 for failing to supply the governing body with access to its systems within the time limits dictated.

Czapski followed Michael Schumacher to Ferrari but after Schumacher won the World Championship in 2000, Czapski decided to return to Britain and took a job back at Benetton. He is now head of research and development at Renault Sport.

and yes there was talk of TC on the bennetton in 94. no definite proof tho. but for sure at least the car was equipped with a remote launch control software/hardware built into the bennetton.

tinchote
8th November 2007, 01:27
and yes there was talk of TC on the bennetton in 94. no definite proof tho. but for sure at least the car was equipped with a remote launch control software/hardware built into the bennetton.

That's sounds like a very appealling conspiracy theory. Then you look at the starts of the races in 94 and you do not see any car wheelspinning, and you don't see the Benettons doing particularly well. So, if they were running a launch control system, it was worse than most of the drivers of the other cars ;)

ShiftingGears
8th November 2007, 06:02

I thought the '91 Jordan did?

In any case, Schumacher has a huge ability to feel and balance out what the car is doing. So he's a great test driver TC or not.

555-04Q2
8th November 2007, 06:41
So winning the World Championship isn't good enough for you?

He won the world championship in the 2007 car. What the hell does he need to test it for in winter?

Funny, I seem to remember MS used to take a holiday from the end of the season until January.

I suppose now Ferrari have won both Championships and there is no new McLaren controversy, you can now turn on Kimi. Who next? Ross? Jean?

Strewth...

:erm: The comment was made in jest but I dont expect you to understand something so complicated. Get some legover, have a drink and enjoy yourself ;)

wmcot
8th November 2007, 07:09
You're right, Ferrari are the team where there is passion! That's why they have so many supporters (not around here obviously)!

But that passion is a two-edged sword! It inspires Ferrari fans and pi$$e$ off other teams' fans. Kind of like the "dark side" of the "force!"

ioan
8th November 2007, 10:14
oh and then there was this:

In July 1991 Tom Walkinshaw was appointed Engineering Director of Benetton. He immediately set about establishing a new purpose-built facility for the team and began hiring a new generation of engineers to meet F1's new challenges. One of these new men was Czapski, hired by Walkinshaw in the autumn of 1992 to work on Benetton's advanced electronics systems which included active suspension, automatic gearboxes, ABS and traction control. He was responsible for control systems in the Benetton-Ford B193 transmission. In October 1993, however, the FIA voted to ban all electronic systems and introduced a rule which said that the driver must drive his car "alone and unaided".

The 1994 season began with much suspicion that, despite the ban, some teams were still using electronic systems. The wrangling came to a head in August that year when the FIA announced that it had analyzed the software of Michael Schumacher's Benetton at the San Marino Grand Prix and discovered that the system included a "launch control" feature which could be activated with a laptop computer using a mysterious "option 13" on a list of 10 options. The FIA investigation concluded that there was "no direct evidence" of traction control having been used - although Benetton was fined $100,000 for failing to supply the governing body with access to its systems within the time limits dictated.

Czapski followed Michael Schumacher to Ferrari but after Schumacher won the World Championship in 2000, Czapski decided to return to Britain and took a job back at Benetton. He is now head of research and development at Renault Sport.

So in the end all we have is some suspicions about the 94 season.
Still can't see how people get to saying he always had TC in his F1 cars?!

If only some could start throwing smelly stuff around, they might even be able to have a clearer view of the situation themselves! ;)

As for the test, what's that difficult to understand, he did drove F1 cars in the non TC era for lots of seasons, while FM never did and KR only did in his rookie season (when he had very little technical knowledge about F1 cars). So they get the best one available to test their TC-less car.

ten-tenths
8th November 2007, 23:06
So in the end all we have is some suspicions about the 94 season.
Still can't see how people get to saying he always had TC in his F1 cars?!

If only some could start throwing smelly stuff around, they might even be able to have a clearer view of the situation themselves! ;)

As for the test, what's that difficult to understand, he did drove F1 cars in the non TC era for lots of seasons, while FM never did and KR only did in his rookie season (when he had very little technical knowledge about F1 cars). So they get the best one available to test their TC-less car.

hey i understand the love that michael gets. he is great. but there are several reasons i am not his biggest fan. one was he was caught with illegal software in his car, yet the FIA decided that they couldn't prove that he actually used it. it's like a tour de france rider caught with next gen EPO in his luggage. highly suspicous and leads one to doubt about their performance. and i never said he was caught with TC. i just said there were talk that his car was suspected due to wierd harmonics from his exhaust/car noise that strangely sounded like the banned TC that season.

i hope schumacher's technical feedback helps the team, i just hoped that kimi would have had a greater say this season as to how the car would better tailor to his driving style instead of massa's who probably adopted shumacher's style. i am sure ferrari in the end will let kimi determine what works for him as well, i hope.

JovialJooles
9th November 2007, 01:23
:erm: The comment was made in jest but I dont expect you to understand something so complicated. Get some legover, have a drink and enjoy yourself ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I just got the joke! I need to go and change my pants now!

Slap a my thigh; you're such a wheeze! ;)

ioan
9th November 2007, 12:27
i hope schumacher's technical feedback helps the team, i just hoped that kimi would have had a greater say this season as to how the car would better tailor to his driving style instead of massa's who probably adopted shumacher's style. i am sure ferrari in the end will let kimi determine what works for him as well, i hope.

Kimi said he won't test for a while because he wants to take a break from the track.

He'll have plenty of time to have his say in the ulterior development of the car, a car that we shouldn't forget that is already designed and put together with Kimi and Felipe's requirements.

So don't worry, MS isn't there the usurp Kimi, just to help the team while the Finn is in holiday.

ten-tenths
10th November 2007, 02:32
Kimi said he won't test for a while because he wants to take a break from the track.

He'll have plenty of time to have his say in the ulterior development of the car, a car that we shouldn't forget that is already designed and put together with Kimi and Felipe's requirements.

So don't worry, MS isn't there the usurp Kimi, just to help the team while the Finn is in holiday.

ahh yes, i wonder if kimi knew before if michael was testing and he decided to take a break, or if kimi decided first to take a break and michael decided to test. i have a feeling if michael just won the last title, he would not have been statisfied and he would have tested just to make sure he had a firm control for next title challenge. man there i go getting worried again. haha

ioan
10th November 2007, 12:19
ahh yes, i wonder if kimi knew before if michael was testing and he decided to take a break, or if kimi decided first to take a break and michael decided to test. i have a feeling if michael just won the last title, he would not have been statisfied and he would have tested just to make sure he had a firm control for next title challenge. man there i go getting worried again. haha

I think I'll just let you calm down by yourself! ;)

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 12:27
Again, I don't see why this should be considered in any way strange, or a slight against Raikkonen. It's not as if all of Schumacher's abilities suddenly deserted him when he drove his last F1 race. I'm still rather unsure as to whether what he's contributed to Ferrari this year justifies whatever salary he's been on, but why shouldn't he test the car? He's surely a valuable asset to the team still.

tinchote
13th November 2007, 18:53
First day of testing, and at least MS is not too rusty:

Schumacher fastest in testing (http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2007/11/13/F1-Schumacher-fastest-in-testing/)

woody2goody
13th November 2007, 19:33
This proves he's still unbelievably good, despite not driving the car for a year!

Really good performance. I think he should drive in F1 again, just to see what he could do maybe in a bad car would be interesting as he's never had a car that he couldn't win with with the possible exception of '05 where he 'won' at Indy and had one or two other chances.

ioan
13th November 2007, 20:38
:eek:
I was expecting him to be fast, but he really exceeded my expectations.
One year out of F1 cars, he comes back and is as fast as ever! :)

It really looks like he can help Ferrari develop the car, even after being one year away, and "not up to date with what happened"!

I would really love to see him race again, his last race was fabulous, and there clearly is still lots of fire in him, not to mention his ability! :D

f1rocks
13th November 2007, 20:39
Stunning performance from the 7 time Champ. He would have taken the 2007 WDC with so much ease really. I wish he gets too bored and decides to come back for 2008 season. Absolutely amazing having not driven a F1 car for over a year.

Tazio
13th November 2007, 20:43
Nothing I’ve read discloses whether Mike was using TC or not!
Most the other drivers have been quoted as saying that they ran without TC,
although we can't be sure if it was for the entire session?
Anyone have a link in this regard as it refers to Mike?

W8&C
13th November 2007, 20:47
0.7 s faster than Massa´s fastet racelap this year. Unbelievable.

passmeatissue
13th November 2007, 20:57

There's an RAI TV clip on the Atlas F1 forum that shows Michael tail-sliding it out of a bend, definitely no TC! At that time anyway.

ioan
13th November 2007, 21:08

That's a bit down to the car too, it's been 6 months since than, and I would not believe however that Badoer is 0.5 seconds faster than Felipe.

Anyway, after we've seen JV's poor come back, as well as MH being way out of pace when he tested after retiring, MS is surprisingly still up there, right from the start.

SGWilko
13th November 2007, 21:21
That's a bit down to the car too, it's been 6 months since than, and I would not believe however that Badoer is 0.5 seconds faster than Felipe.

Anyway, after we've seen JV's poor come back, as well as MH being way out of pace when he tested after retiring, MS is surprisingly still up there, right from the start.

Speaking as someone who is not a great 'fan' of Michael, I have to admit that his performance is quite impressive indeed.

There, I said it!

passmeatissue
13th November 2007, 21:27
The video of MS is at http://www.rai.tv/mpplaymediageneric/0,,News%5E0%5E42032,00.html

(it starts with a BMW ad...)

Tazio
13th November 2007, 21:39
There's an RAI TV clip on the Atlas F1 forum that shows Michael tail-sliding it out of a bend, definitely no TC! At that time anyway.Thanks!

tinchote
13th November 2007, 22:08

All drivers have always been unanimous in that TC does not increase speed. It reduces the chances of making mistakes, by making the use of the accelerator a little simpler. So I don't think it would have been a huge difference.

mstillhere
13th November 2007, 22:17

Actually I have some interesting news. According to Marca http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/motor/formula1/es/desarrollo/1057058.html
(and I know that some of our Spanish friends say that's not a reputable newspaper), it looks like MS used the TC.
According to the Spanish site, he will test again on Tuesday (is there an other test scheduled on Tueday?) and this time without TC.
But then again, somebody else wrote on this thread that on the RAI site a video clip shows MS doing some stuff proving that he was not using it. I am a little confused.

Andy65
13th November 2007, 22:24
Stunning performance from the 7 time Champ. He would have taken the 2007 WDC with so much ease really. I wish he gets too bored and decides to come back for 2008 season. Absolutely amazing having not driven a F1 car for over a year.

So how do you know this for sure ? he didn't take it in 2005 and he didn't take it in 2006, so why would have done do in 2007 ? I'll take it as an opinion and not as a fact !!

Andy65
13th November 2007, 22:32

Yes looks good on paper so to speak but when you look Badoer was only 0.207 slower than schumacher, so even he would have been the best part of half a second faster than Massa !? as has been said so many times before, never read too much in to testing times !!

passmeatissue
13th November 2007, 22:40
Actually I have some interesting news. According to Marca http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/motor/formula1/es/desarrollo/1057058.html
(and I know that some of our Spanish friends say that's not a reputable newspaper), it looks like MS used the TC.
According to the Spanish site, he will test again on Tuesday (is there an other test scheduled on Tueday?) and this time without TC.
But then again, somebody else wrote on this thread that on the RAI site a video clip shows MS doing some stuff proving that he was not using it. I am a little confused.

Maybe he was doing both, switching it on and off, trying to match TC with his right foot. For sure he wasn't doing the whole day with TC, anyway.

ioan
13th November 2007, 22:42
What is the most impressive is how fast he adapted to the 2007 spec Bridgestones, tires that he never used before, compared to some of the drivers that were complaining for half a season about this.

passmeatissue
13th November 2007, 22:52
What is the most impressive is how fast he adapted to the 2007 spec Bridgestones, tires that he never used before, compared to some of the drivers that were complaining for half a season about this.

I agree. It was class. Makes me try to remember how old Mansell was when he won the championship. 39? I know MS has just denied it, again, but hard not to wonder if he's feeling refreshed again, like Ross...

stevie_gerrard
13th November 2007, 23:37
Very impressive indeed. :) nice to see he hasn't lost any of his class, just in case he is needed ;)

truefan72
14th November 2007, 00:33
:eek:
I was expecting him to be fast, but he really exceeded my expectations.
One year out of F1 cars, he comes back and is as fast as ever! :)

It really looks like he can help Ferrari develop the car, even after being one year away, and "not up to date with what happened"!

I would really love to see him race again, his last race was fabulous, and there clearly is still lots of fire in him, not to mention his ability! :D

agreed

:up:

I always felt that he was pushed out more than him really retiring.
It is obvious that the man's has still got superior skill.

He may be retired, but if some team offers him an astronomical amount of money, then look out!

I also think his wife might have a say in the matter too.

Roamy
14th November 2007, 01:13
I hope he goes to mclaren

Crypt
14th November 2007, 01:37
Even Superman get's rusty.

Valve Bounce
14th November 2007, 01:42

That would be a most interesting concept. I hope he goes there also.

Hawkmoon
14th November 2007, 02:52

What makes you think that a Schumacher/Hamilton pairing would work any better than the Alonso/Hamilton pairing?

Schumacher didn't spend 11 seasons leading Ferrari to multiple titles to come back and play second fiddle to a guy who's won all of 4 races. Nor does Hamilton appear to be a "team first" kind of guy, judging from his comments after Monaco and his antics in qualifying at the Hungaroring.

Whilst I don't want to see Schumacher drive for McLaren for purely selfish reasons, I think McLaren would only be setting themselves up for a repeat of this season were they to sign Schumacher for '08.

Tazio
14th November 2007, 02:54
I agree, although I think all the extra cash it would bring in would give bernie a heart attack.
If he had one!

markabilly
14th November 2007, 05:06

Sometime back, MS made it clear that he had talked to Mac, and decided that he and RD would just not be a good match--something about philosphy or how a driver should fit in or whatever......Plus, MS is NOT FA. If you think the inter-team mumbling was bad with FA, I think MS would not be nearly so kind and sweet as FA when LH was on the outside of the turn in Spa....and MS would be working the media real hard to play mind games...and there probably would be this little clause about who checks air pressure and who will pit second.....while Mercedes would no doubt, spend a fortune plus to have their national hero on the team, RD would be whining in the background like a baby about his golden boy and not wanting it....

But there is BMW....and there is someone named Brawn.....but I think not.

I agree, although I think all the extra cash it would bring in would give bernie a heart attack.
If he had one!

Oh yeah, heck benie might even figure out a way to make it happen, even kick in some cash---the fight of the century, "golden boy against the golden oldie" :D :D

I might even go back to watching the races live on TV!!!!

We can all dream I guess.............................. :(

pino
14th November 2007, 07:04
Stop dreaming everyone, Michael has signed a new 3 years contract with Ferrari as tester ;)

ArrowsFA1
14th November 2007, 08:57
Yes looks good on paper so to speak but when you look Badoer was only 0.207 slower than schumacher, so even he would have been the best part of half a second faster than Massa !? as has been said so many times before, never read too much in to testing times !!
Very true :up:

ioan
14th November 2007, 10:41
I always felt that he was pushed out more than him really retiring.
It is obvious that the man's has still got superior skill.

I felt the same, and since the end of last season I'm not a fan of Montezemolo.

He may be retired, but if some team offers him an astronomical amount of money, then look out!

I also think his wife might have a say in the matter too.

I don't think he is interested about money anymore. he's got more than enough of it, enough for him, for his children, and the children of his children and so on...

And his wife was never a fan of him getting hurt again while racing.

But his very smart, he's testing again because he needs to drive fast cars, and he will get the accolades for the development of the first post TC era F1 Ferrari! ;)

ioan
14th November 2007, 10:45
What makes you think that a Schumacher/Hamilton pairing would work any better than the Alonso/Hamilton pairing?

Schumacher didn't spend 11 seasons leading Ferrari to multiple titles to come back and play second fiddle to a guy who's won all of 4 races. Nor does Hamilton appear to be a "team first" kind of guy, judging from his comments after Monaco and his antics in qualifying at the Hungaroring.

Whilst I don't want to see Schumacher drive for McLaren for purely selfish reasons, I think McLaren would only be setting themselves up for a repeat of this season were they to sign Schumacher for '08.

McLaren would lose Hamilton (who would run away after throwing the toys out of the pram) if they signed MS.
Besides I don't think that MS likes RD or his paranoias (keeping all the trophies, being such a control freak etc...).

He had the chance to go to McLaren at the end of 2000 (I think that was the year) but he refused, since than he has won 4 more WDC titles, so why should he change his mind now???

ioan
14th November 2007, 10:47
Stop dreaming everyone, Michael has signed a new 3 years contract with Ferrari as tester ;)

Good one pino! :)

ArrowsFA1
14th November 2007, 10:49
...he will get the accolades for the development of the first post TC era F1 Ferrari! ;)
Sadly for Kimi and Felipe that may very well turn out to be true in certain quarters.

ioan
14th November 2007, 11:10
Sadly for Kimi and Felipe that may very well turn out to be true in certain quarters.

They should have turned up and tested themselves.
Please don't tell me that if Kimi wanted to test this week than they wouldn't have given him Badoer's place.

Felipe never drove F1 cars without TC, and Kimi only drove them in his rookie year, when he had very little technical knowledge about F1 cars.
Next season they will both have a year of TC-less F1 driving under the belt and will do the testing themselves.

I don't think that Kimi won the title this year because MS was the driver who gave the development directions for the 2007 car.

Honestly I believe that both Kimi and Felipe are happy to get the help of a master to develop the first Ferrari F1 racer of the post TC era.

Andy65
14th November 2007, 12:06
First of all if Schumacher was testing with and without the TC on how do we know if the Tc was on or off when he set his fastest lap ? and second the fact that the car is so much faster now than it was at the race shows just how much development has been done by Raikkonen and Massa, in fact for most of the first part of 2007 the car was somewhat left wanting, could have been all that development done by Schumacher ! :)

ioan
14th November 2007, 12:59
First of all if Schumacher was testing with and without the TC on how do we know if the Tc was on or off when he set his fastest lap ?

They are all doing TC vs nonTC comparisons at the moment.

ioan
14th November 2007, 13:04
The opinion of someone who knows what he says:

Badoer admitted he was not surprised by Schumacher's pace.

"I'm not surprised, I know him, he is a superhero," the Italian added. "Everybody knows he is the fastest driver in the world, so I don't see what upsets that can cause.

"Raikkonen is quick too, but Schumi in his career has demonstrated to be something else."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63927

SGWilko
14th November 2007, 13:30
The opinion of someone who knows what he says:

superhero

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63927

I always the S on Clark K's alter ego's outfit was for Superman, not Schumi!!! :p :

tinchote
14th November 2007, 13:38
First of all if Schumacher was testing with and without the TC on how do we know if the Tc was on or off when he set his fastest lap ?

Please find me just one quote of an F1 driver saying that you drive faster with TC than without.

and second the fact that the car is so much faster now than it was at the race shows just how much development has been done by Raikkonen and Massa, in fact for most of the first part of 2007 the car was somewhat left wanting, could have been all that development done by Schumacher ! :)

If you want to talk about development done by MS (if any, because as far as I know this is the first time he drives this car), then you should talk about the dominant car they had in Australia in March.

Andy65
14th November 2007, 13:43
Schumacher a superhero ? Er I think not, there are many people on this earth that have done great things for the world, driving a car around a track does not make Schumacher or any other driver a SuperHero, trying to pull another driver out of a burning car and putting you own life at risk (James Hunt ? ) now that could make a driver a super hero !! Badoer just needs to set his sights a little higher and take his Schumacher branded rose tinted glasses off.

SGWilko
14th November 2007, 13:44
Please find me just one quote of an F1 driver saying that you drive faster with TC than without.

If you want to talk about development done by MS (if any, because as far as I know this is the first time he drives this car), then you should talk about the dominant car they had in Australia in March.

Isn't TC a bit like the ABS syndrome, in as much that while keeping the car stable under braking, the stopping distance is increased. I am sure it is possible to accelerate faster without TC, but it would require awesome car and throttle control.

Andy65
14th November 2007, 13:49
[quote="tinchote"]Please find me just one quote of an F1 driver saying that you drive faster with TC than without.

I didn't say that you can drive faster with TC than without, I just asked the question, but if you can drive just as fast without TC whats the fuss about, come the first race next year Ferrari and Mclaren will be at the front and the others will picking up the other places just the same as this year !!

ArrowsFA1
14th November 2007, 13:55
Well, Luca Badoer has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63927) "by the end of winter we'll lap on the same times as this year". ;)

markabilly
14th November 2007, 14:25

Kimi testing?

How quickly you forget the rumors out of Mac sometime back when he went there....How kimi was contributing little to the development of the car, and how important Wurz was for that.

Seems Kimi just gets in and goes fast, and it is really up to the engineers to look at data to figure out what is best for Kimi. That does have certain advantages in that Kimi is not trying to counter the engineers with his own particular ideas.

When he switched teams to Ferrari, there was not a lot of Kimi testing at the first of the year. He just got in and went fast......... :burnout:

OTA
14th November 2007, 14:32
ioan,
Shumy is a fine driver, allways has been, and he will continue to be so while he stays fit and willing.
However, I don't think is completly fair the comment you have made about the speed of adaptation to the Stones. Alonso, Kubica and Kimi (I suppose you refer to this 3) while complained about the difficulties were never obviously short in speed. Kimi did just fine in Aus, Alonso did the same in Malasia. Even in testing their times were "normal".
Also yes I give my vote to get Michael back, he's allways fun in the track, and as quick as ever.

tinchote
14th November 2007, 14:53
Well, Luca Badoer has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63927) "by the end of winter we'll lap on the same times as this year". ;)

My take of that comment is that it will take some time for all of them to drive confidently without TC. After all, is one safe-net less between the driver and the mistake.

I didn't say that you can drive faster with TC than without, I just asked the question, but if you can drive just as fast without TC whats the fuss about, come the first race next year Ferrari and Mclaren will be at the front and the others will picking up the other places just the same as this year !!

No doubt about that. Just look at what happened in 2001 when TC and LC were introduced mid-season. Nothing changed, with the exception of some new electronic glitches (the start at Aus 2001 was pathetic with at least 4 cars stranded in the grid). TC is very useful because it avoids mistakes and simplifies the driver's task, making it less exhausting to drive the car and requiring less concentration. Over a single lap, the consensus tends to be that you can be faster without TC. As SGWilko said, the electronics kicking in can increase your acceleration time, the same way the ABS can increase your stopping distance (as I have painfully discovered in the snow a couple times).

ArrowsFA1
14th November 2007, 14:58
How quickly you forget the rumors out of Mac sometime back when he went there....How kimi was contributing little to the development of the car, and how important Wurz was for that.
Well, when Kimi went to McLaren he had all of 1 year's experience in F1 and not much else (other than his natural speed!!). Six years on I wouldn't expect that to still be the situation.

I've read that a reason it took a while for Kimi to settle at Ferrari was that Kimi was adapting to Ferrari at the start. When Ferrari started to adapt to Kimi things came together. That suggests that he worked with the team to produce a car that suited his driving style, and that can't happen if the driver is contributing little. It also suggests that Kimi has a different driving style to MS, which is why I question the value of MS testing for Ferrari.

ioan
14th November 2007, 15:04
Well, when Kimi went to McLaren he had all of 1 year's experience in F1 and not much else (other than his natural speed!!). Six years on I wouldn't expect that to still be the situation.

I've read that a reason it took a while for Kimi to settle at Ferrari was that Kimi was adapting to Ferrari at the start. When Ferrari started to adapt to Kimi things came together. That suggests that he worked with the team to produce a car that suited his driving style, and that can't happen if the driver is contributing little. It also suggests that Kimi has a different driving style to MS, which is why I question the value of MS testing for Ferrari.

As you said yourself in his first year in F1 Kimi had no real technical knowledge, given that it was his only year in a F1 car without TC, MS will surely be better suited to develop the car at least at the beginning, giving them the right direction for development. ;)

markabilly
14th November 2007, 15:13

I would not disagree, but even when it was anounced that Kimi was headed to Ferrari, the question was raised as to who would be doing testing and Kimi's poor feedback

Actually with this day of electronics, the data might be more important than what the drivers reports or says...so "When Ferrari started to adapt to Kimi things came together. That suggests that he worked with the team to produce a car that suited his driving style, and that can't happen if the driver is contributing little..." Kimi's only contribution might well have been just to consistently drive like he always had, and let the engineers figure out how to fit the ferrari to him.....

MS probably does have a different style, or maybe not, I once saw an article a number of years ago that suggested that the corner entry of MS and KR were very similar, and required a certain feel for a car that many did not have, to be able to deal with the potential oversteer---such that when the bennetton team had their new drivers test the MS car on the same track with same everything after he went to Ferrrari, they were signifigantly slower tham MS

SGWilko
14th November 2007, 15:19
As you said yourself in his first year in F1 Kimi had no real technical knowledge, given that it was his only year in a F1 car without TC, MS will surely be better suited to develop the car at least at the beginning, giving them the right direction for development. ;)

Are we not reading too much into the MS input thing. He is just what is required to provide a benchmark. He has probably the most experience of TC (my jibe in a prvious post aside :p :) , and can provide feedback on what the engineers need to focus on to make the car easier to drive on the limit without TC.

Kimi and Massa will no doubt give their own input on how then to taylor MS's input to their driving style.

Remember, the biggest benefit of TC is tyre management, you need to now drive fast without knackering up the tyres within 5 laps. I can see a lot of input from ALL teams going into Bridgestone, who will need to beef up the rubber somewhat.

ioan
14th November 2007, 15:44
People can calm down after tomorrow, as MS will not test in Jerez in December. My take is that Kimi might be back from holiday at that moment. ;)

Tazio
14th November 2007, 18:28
Mike .5 faster than Massa. What gives? Klien fastest of Force drivers.
http://www.manipef1.com/testing/2008/session.php?id=302

ioan
14th November 2007, 21:56
MS's take on the TC less car:

Q. How does car feel without traction control?

MS: It feels worse than when we last ran without TC, it's not similar]

And he thinks that 2 laps to get back in shape was quite a bit of time.

[quote="autosport.com":e01p5unq]
Q. How was it sitting in car and being quick?

MS: It took me a bit of time, maybe two laps, and then I was back into the groove. And I have to say I surprised myself that I was so quickly on it again.

But this is the best part:

Q. Will you receive offers after those times?

MS: I don't think, there's not anything free at the moment![/quote:e01p5unq]

Hmmm. Many teams would quite happily sack any of their drivers for him!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63933

Chaparral66
14th November 2007, 22:59
You guys who profess concern about Schuey testing need to relax. There is no burning need for Ferrari to break out of the Schumacher era; any driver they have had, no matter who it is, has always been in the Ferrari era. Besides, if you someone like him who has a wealth of experience and he's already on the payroll, you make use of him, like you would any of your resources. It would be silly not to. And as some have said, his lap times would indicate he hasn't lost much. Mario Andretti was known for being one of the world's best test drivers even past 50 years old, so if you have someone like that, get the most out of it.

BDunnell
14th November 2007, 23:11
You guys who profess concern about Schuey testing need to relax. There is no burning need for Ferrari to break out of the Schumacher era; any driver they have had, no matter who it is, has always been in the Ferrari era. Besides, if you someone like him who has a wealth of experience and he's already on the payroll, you make use of him, like you would any of your resources. It would be silly not to. And as some have said, his lap times would indicate he hasn't lost much. Mario Andretti was known for being one of the world's best test drivers even past 50 years old, so if you have someone like that, get the most out of it.

He's still on Ferrari's books. He's a great driver. He's not about to make a racing comeback, so it doesn't represent any threat to the team's two drivers for 2008 or a means of destabilising them. What's there to worry about?

I did feel that keeping Schumacher on in an unspecified role seemed rather vague, and to some extent it still does, but it clearly didn't adversely affect the team in 2007.

ICKE
14th November 2007, 23:12
Best driver in the history of F1.

One year out and it takes him 2 laps to be faster than the others and 3 minutes to get adjusted to those new Bridgestone tires when it took 6 months from the reigning world champion.

Laughably dominant.

ioan
14th November 2007, 23:35
I believe we can say that all the active F1 drivers are rather happy that he retired at the end of last season. :D

BDunnell
14th November 2007, 23:36
I believe we can say that all the active F1 drivers are rather happy that he retired at the end of last season. :D

I doubt Alonso feared him that much, having beaten him for two seasons running. And Raikkonen has never been one to show much fear.

ioan
14th November 2007, 23:58
I doubt Alonso feared him that much, having beaten him for two seasons running. And Raikkonen has never been one to show much fear.

I didn't imply that they fear him, but they didn't have to fight him at all this season, and he does not seem out of shape at all, au contraire!

tinchote
15th November 2007, 05:49
And he thinks that 2 laps to get back in shape was quite a bit of time.

It looks to me that you are misreading that quote. The way I read it, he was saying that he was surprised that it took him only two laps to "on the groove" (his expression).

Valve Bounce
15th November 2007, 06:00
It looks to me that you are misreading that quote. The way I read it, he was saying that he was surprised that it took him only two laps to "on the groove" (his expression).

I reckon that was bloody fantastic. I would dearly like to see him make a comeback with BMW.

That would surely light up next season and several afterwards.

555-04Q2
15th November 2007, 06:32
dominant.

Schumi's middle name :up:

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2007, 09:28
Kimi's only contribution might well have been just to consistently drive like he always had, and let the engineers figure out how to fit the ferrari to him...
That may very well be true :up: Whichever way it happened the results speak for themselves, and as others here have said Kimi's not the kind of character to be concerned about who is testing what. He'll do his own thing, and do it very well.

ioan
15th November 2007, 10:27

He said he was surprised by his speed and it took him a bit (2 laps) of time to be back on the groove.

Garry Walker
15th November 2007, 11:48
Kimi testing?

Why are you posting such lies? Kimis feedback was highly rated by McLarens engineers and is highly rated by Ferraris engineers as well. In any case, drivers do not have a big impact on developing the car.

Schumacher sure did cause fousto some mental damages with the last 2 days, didnt he :D :D :D .

Great to see the Master back

ioan
15th November 2007, 11:52
Schumacher sure did cause fousto some mental damages with the last 2 days, didnt he :D :D :D .

MS surely had a much better come back to the track than JV had in 2003!

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2007, 12:07
Great to see the Master back
Yeah, welcome back fousto :s mokin: :p

Garry Walker
15th November 2007, 12:10
MS surely had a much better come back to the track than JV had in 2003! Please dont put the best ever driver in the same sentence as a driver who was beaten by 3 straight teammates. :D

markabilly
15th November 2007, 14:50
Why are you posting such lies? Kimis feedback was highly rated by McLarens engineers and is highly rated by Ferraris engineers as well. In any case, drivers do not have a big impact on developing the car.

Mac: How was the car on entry into turn 2?
Kimi "Wid...um..o... err..."

Mac: Did you like this set up better?

Kimi "err..hart to....to..say..."

Mac: Did you like the set-up, just say yes or no?

Kimi: "yes or no"

Mac: Do you have any comments or questions?

kimi: "Where is shi$$er?"

Ferrari: "this is the car, this is the bathroom, which do you want to do first?"
kimi: "bathroom"
Ferrari: "great feedback, I think we found the key to success...."

Andy65
15th November 2007, 14:54

I am a Kimi fan but I do find this funny :)

ioan
15th November 2007, 15:13

Ferrari: "this is the car, this is the bathroom, which do you want to do first?"

:rotflmao:

Good one! Very good one, it made my day! :up:

Valve Bounce
18th November 2007, 23:05
I found it remarkable that SchM should be able to return to F1 and post such fast laps from the word go when he has not used the tyres and has not driven this car.

So, why is he back testing really? Where is this leading to?

............and most of all, why did he leave F1?

There had been rumours (unfounded of course) that he was going to start his own team. But the way I feel, sure as hell if Massa suddenly developed ingrown toenails, SchM would be qualifying that Ferrari on the front row again.

Over to you, ioan.

N. Jones
18th November 2007, 23:12
I found it remarkable that SchM should be able to return to F1 and post such fast laps from the word go when he has not used the tyres and has not driven this car.

...even more remarkable when you take into account that:

1) there was no Hamilton at the test.
2) there was no Alonso at the test.
3) there was no Massa at the test.
4) there was no Raikkonen at the test.

:rolleyes:

F1boat
18th November 2007, 23:42
It is OK for Michael to test. He is a huge name for Ferrari and I am sure that he can help. Kimi is also a great champion, but unlike Shumacher, he had fought all year in a very hard championship and finally has achieved his childhood dream.
He deserves to rest now. When the times come, now, as a World Champion he will be even faster and stronger than before.
But for now Michael deserves some fun and Kimi deserves some rest.

Valve Bounce
18th November 2007, 23:42

I nominate this as the post of the year!! :up:

Tazio
19th November 2007, 01:22

:rolleyes: Massa tested one day my man!
He was .5 sec. slower than Mike!
http://www.manipef1.com/testing/2008/session.php?id=302

airshifter
19th November 2007, 04:57
A few points:

Firstly it is testing and not racing. Even MS has himself said in the past the difference between testing and racing is that often drivers in testing work on specific areas or sector times, and often the fastest laps are done by the drivers working lap rather than sector times. Testing times when looking at laps are often led by lesser cars or drivers, and then everthing changes on the final testing days or qualification days.

I see no reason for the concern about MS testing unless the race drivers were not being allowed proper input for the development of the cars. Having someone with such talent they should use him as much as possible. If for no other reason they have a tester that knows how to push a car, and understands race conditions well.

As for Kimi not contributing input, take a look at his early season starts, and then the starts after he had Ferrari adjust the clutch setup to his liking and driving style.

ioan
19th November 2007, 10:05

:rolleyes:

What a load of bull...

Felipe tested 2 days, one when MS was testing too, and he was 0.5 seconds of MS' time.
As I don't think that Felipe is 0.5 seconds slower (as the last season proves) than the other 3 you mention, it means that MS is as fast as ever and at least as fast as the top divers if not faster without TC!

But at least you tried your shot to bash him, even without having the right facts. :rolleyes:

Ranger
19th November 2007, 11:21
What a load of bull...

Felipe tested 2 days, one when MS was testing too, and he was 0.5 seconds of MS' time.
As I don't think that Felipe is 0.5 seconds slower (as the last season proves) than the other 3 you mention, it means that MS is as fast as ever and at least as fast as the top divers if not faster without TC!

But at least you tried your shot to bash him, even without having the right facts. :rolleyes:

I've said before... It's a test. It's all futile as everyone is testing different things.

And still, by the basis of those two test days with Schumacher, Badoer is a faster driver than Massa! :p :

555-04Q2
19th November 2007, 12:06
People need to realise the extent of MS's achievement during testing. It is equal to a 100m sprint champion taking a year off with no training and pitching up at a race meet 12 months later and winning. Give the guy some credit.

TL
19th November 2007, 12:12
People need to realise the extent of MS's achievement during testing. It is equal to a 100m sprint champion taking a year off with no training and pitching up at a race meet 12 months later and winning. Give the guy some credit.

But winning without his main rivals at the startline....don't forget to mention that ! NOT saying though what he did was pea-nuts !

SGWilko
19th November 2007, 14:54

Has he (Schumi) not been to the gym at all since he quit? Has he 'let himself go' with a pot belly and a double chin?

So long as he has kept himself fit, I think he was always going to be 'on it' when he got back in the car, he is a natural after all.

I am not suggesting however, that when he is 50 he will be as good, but YKWIM/ ;)

truefan72
19th November 2007, 23:39
But winning without his main rivals at the startline....don't forget to mention that ! NOT saying though what he did was pea-nuts !

he is not competing against rivals, but agains a clock, especially in testing.
Besided MS is retired and has no "rivals"

N. Jones
20th November 2007, 02:06
What a load of bull...

And this means.... what, exactly?

I really could giveadam what Chewbacca does. Its time to move on as nobody cares about the past. :D

msaxman
20th November 2007, 05:29

maybe his foot was just that good...

ioan
20th November 2007, 10:30

That you were wrong in your assumptions.

I really could giveadam what Chewbacca does. Its time to move on as nobody cares about the past. :D

How "intelligent", poke fun to someones physical appearance. I pity you. :s :rolleyes:

ioan
20th November 2007, 10:31
maybe his foot was just that good...

And it still is that good, as we have seen last week! ;)

TL
20th November 2007, 11:16
he is not competing against rivals, but agains a clock, especially in testing.
Besided MS is retired and has no "rivals"

I was refering to the 100 m sprint comparison "555-04Q2" made !

retired ? I currently see him more as Ferrari's offical test driver !

truefan72
20th November 2007, 19:13
I was refering to the 100 m sprint comparison "555-04Q2" made !

retired ? I currently see him more as Ferrari's offical test driver !

so who are his rivals as a comparison, JV, Damon hill, Mikka, fellow retired drivers .

and just because you have retired doesn't exclude you from jumping in for the odd test here or there. Retired golfers, still enter a major or tournament now and then. Almost every athlete or professional would still compete or at least kick the ball around or participate in a few practice sessions from time to time.

and the official ferrari test driver is Luca Badoa ( prpbably spelling his name wrong)

TL
20th November 2007, 19:44
so who are his rivals as a comparison, JV, Damon hill, Mikka, fellow retired drivers .

and just because you have retired doesn't exclude you from jumping in for the odd test here or there. Retired golfers, still enter a major or tournament now and then. Almost every athlete or professional would still compete or at least kick the ball around or participate in a few practice sessions from time to time.

and the official ferrari test driver is Luca Badoa ( prpbably spelling his name wrong)

well if those fellow "retired" drivers would have participated in that same test session you may have called them his rivals yes..but as they are "retired"....they didn't..so nop !

truefan72
21st November 2007, 03:59
cool TL :)

Tazio
21st November 2007, 23:52

I really could giveadam what Chewbacca does. Its time to move on as nobody cares about the past. :D It means Mike did some good work for Ferrari (his employer). There are 8 pages in this thread.
It's the off season, and there isn't an over an over abundance of F1 activity at the moment.
If you don't care about him, why are you trying to minimalize what he has done testing?

pino
22nd November 2007, 13:31
Michael to take part at Jerez tests next month, gazetta.it reported ;)

Trqster
22nd November 2007, 13:44
Michael to take part at Jerez tests next month, gazetta.it reported ;)

Yep starting on the 4th of December. The master is back!
Maybe this time we'll have some sort of a MS/Kimi comparison... :D

passmeatissue
22nd November 2007, 14:07
Yep starting on the 4th of December. The master is back!
Maybe this time we'll have some sort of a MS/Kimi comparison... :D

+ Hammy, hopefully :)

wmcot
23rd November 2007, 10:20

I can't think of a better test driver at the moment!

TL
23rd November 2007, 11:17
I can't think of a better test driver at the moment!

True..But by getting him back involved with the testing..it also shows Ferrari not really have a lot of confidence in there current official drivers line up !

SGWilko
23rd November 2007, 11:23
True..But by getting him back involved with the testing..it also shows Ferrari not really have a lot of confidence in there current official drivers line up !

Codswallop! The two contracted drivers have endured a gruelling F1 season, and between them have provided Ferrari with a WDC. Let them have a deserved break.

MS is a proven entity, is contracted to the team still, enjoys driving (and happens to be really quite good at it still!), and can bring a not insignificant amount of experience vis a vis non tc cars.

So why not. Sounds to me like a perticularly symbiotic relationship.

ioan
23rd November 2007, 13:08

Exactly, still some people continue to stress us with this idiotic supposition that Ferrari use him because they don't trust their race drivers!
Why on Earth did they sign them to drive their race cars if they don't trust them???

I would say that the naysayers are afraid that MS will help Ferrari have the best car for next season, that coupled with the best drivers and no more Stepneys = another 2 championship titles! :D

23rd November 2007, 15:14
Codswallop! The two contracted drivers have endured a gruelling F1 season, and between them have provided Ferrari with a WDC. Let them have a deserved break.

MS is a proven entity, is contracted to the team still, enjoys driving (and happens to be really quite good at it still!), and can bring a not insignificant amount of experience vis a vis non tc cars.

Totally agree.

I'd also add that, knowing that the test driver is 38 & has retired from racing, the current Ferrari drivers are probably very happy for him to be setting the fastest times, since it means that Ferrari are not going to do a Kubica on them half way through the season.

jas123f1
23rd November 2007, 15:39

Absolutely true, drivers need to get a rest after working hard with the car during the season. For me it's a proof about a great "Ferrari spirit" that a seven times Champ wants to help the team by testing. It’s not every day you can see things like that. :)

TL
23rd November 2007, 16:46
Exactly, still some people continue to stress us with this idiotic supposition that Ferrari use him because they don't trust their race drivers!
Why on Earth did they sign them to drive their race cars if they don't trust them???

I would say that the naysayers are afraid that MS will help Ferrari have the best car for next season, that coupled with the best drivers and no more Stepneys = another 2 championship titles! :D

stress you ioan ? Because I write down my thoughts ???.Think you need a break from this forum...U take all this way to serious my friend !

TL
23rd November 2007, 16:50
Absolutely true, drivers need to get a rest after working hard with the car during the season. For me it's a proof about a great "Ferrari spirit" that a seven times Champ wants to help the team by testing. It’s not every day you can see things like that. :)

well sure I agree with all of you..every driver needs a break after the season....that's why they have testdrivers..and I have no prob Michael is doin so..Just with the guys who are telling on here he's just doin this for fun..Like a retired driver that hops in the car to have some fun..I rather say he's taking this testing pretty serious !

SGWilko
23rd November 2007, 16:50
stress you ioan ? Because I write down my thoughts ???.Think you need a break from this forum...U take all this way to serious my friend !

That is where these forums come unstuck sometimes - it is easy to take offence to something in written form, when offence is not intended.

Nothing I post is ever meant to be taken personally, but you can see where things start going pear shaped........

SGWilko
23rd November 2007, 16:57
I also think there is still a lot of pent up dislike for Michael borne of the DH/JV rivalry and what sometimes happened on track.

Allied to MS in a Ferrari (Ferrari had the rivalry with JH/McLaren in '76) and that is a dream team for those who harbor a dislike of anything anti 'British stiff upper lip' etc.

And there is a common link of who to blame here - the gutter press. They paint the pictures to sell the stories, us armchair enthusiasts only get to read what the press want us to read.

Et Voila, a real couldron of 'bad blood'.

Still, it beats being all love and peace 'n all that........ ;)

:D

TL
23rd November 2007, 17:08
That is where these forums come unstuck sometimes - it is easy to take offence to something in written form, when offence is not intended.

Nothing I post is ever meant to be taken personally, but you can see where things start going pear shaped........

I just come up for the team I like best...in my case McL...But to get stressed out over what I said above...i mean..I think there have been said a lot worse things over the past few months no ?

SGWilko
23rd November 2007, 17:11
I just come up for the team I like best...in my case McL...But to get stressed out over what I said above...i mean..I think there have been said a lot worse things over the past few months no ?

One would not disagree.

jas123f1
23rd November 2007, 18:21
well sure I agree with all of you..every driver needs a break after the season....that's why they have testdrivers..and I have no prob Michael is doin so..Just with the guys who are telling on here he's just doin this for fun..Like a retired driver that hops in the car to have some fun..I rather say he's taking this testing pretty serious !

BTW Depends how much he has to give to the team?
I can't see there is anything wrong to use Schumi to help the team if he likes to do it. And as he said "he has fun" and he likes same time help the team put little basic in the car. Next year cars are without “tc” and some others help functions so it's good to have all “knowhow” on the basic before Massa and Kimi start their testing. :)

airshifter
23rd November 2007, 18:35
I can't see why having MS test indicates lack of ability in the current test drivers. I would think that it more indicates faith in the ongoing abilities of MS and a real role in the team.

I'm not one to think that a few testing times really indicates driver superiority, but on the other side of that point I can't possibly see why they wouldn't want input from someone with so much experience in the car and helping to develop it.

I see it as a win/win situation. MS gets to spend time in the car without the stress of expectations and a race situation, the team gets valuable input from one of the greatest drivers F1 ever had. If there is one thing Ferrari have been lacking in during recent years it's having the strongest car at the start of the season. With more input and work, they may be able to have the car better sorted out at seasons start.

ioan
23rd November 2007, 21:07

I'm not your friend, so please stop calling me that! :rolleyes:

ioan
23rd November 2007, 21:11
I just come up for the team I like best...in my case McL...

For someone who comes here to support McCheaters you take more time to denigrate Ferrari and MS, to me it seems more like an MS basher than a McCheat supporter. :s

TL
23rd November 2007, 22:27
For someone who comes here to support McCheaters you take more time to denigrate Ferrari and MS, to me it seems more like an MS basher than a McCheat supporter. :s

funny how you use the word "denigrate" in this particular comment...

TL
23rd November 2007, 22:38
I can't see why having MS test indicates lack of ability in the current test drivers. I would think that it more indicates faith in the ongoing abilities of MS and a real role in the team.

I'm not one to think that a few testing times really indicates driver superiority, but on the other side of that point I can't possibly see why they wouldn't want input from someone with so much experience in the car and helping to develop it.

I see it as a win/win situation. MS gets to spend time in the car without the stress of expectations and a race situation, the team gets valuable input from one of the greatest drivers F1 ever had. If there is one thing Ferrari have been lacking in during recent years it's having the strongest car at the start of the season. With more input and work, they may be able to have the car better sorted out at seasons start.

well of course they can use him...as he's still a member of the team...But what I mean is when people say he's just doin this for fun..I don't believe that..i really think he takes this testing very serious..and like you said wants to help ferrari improve the car..not just drive around just bcause he loves 2 !

and yes..I still think by the team asking him to run the tests..they not have 100 %confidence in Luca...sorry..just my viewpoint...Just like I respect how others see it differently..Don't see where I am "denegrating" the Ferrari team there ioan ? If McL would call Mika back to do the tests I would exactly think the same about De La Rosa...so

wmcot
23rd November 2007, 23:55
well of course they can use him...as he's still a member of the team...But what I mean is when people say he's just doin this for fun..I don't believe that..i really think he takes this testing very serious..and like you said wants to help ferrari improve the car..not just drive around just bcause he loves 2 !

and yes..I still think by the team asking him to run the tests..they not have 100 %confidence in Luca...sorry..just my viewpoint...Just like I respect how others see it differently..Don't see where I am "denegrating" the Ferrari team there ioan ? If McL would call Mika back to do the tests I would exactly think the same about De La Rosa...so

I agree that MS is taking his testing seriously! Everything he's done in racing has been done seriously. I'm also quite sure that he enjoys it immensely at the same time. I believe that driving is what he loves to do and driving fast is even better for him.

I do think Luca BaDoer will get the lion's share of testing when the F2008 is testing, along with Felipe and Kimi alternating their time.

airshifter
24th November 2007, 01:12

I don't doubt for a second that he takes it seriously, but when compared to having the likes of Mika, Alonso, or whoever else pushing him hard on a track when their were titles and money on the line, well in that respect it's probably a fairly easy and fun day for him. :)

I would say for them it's a unique situation. Though I doubt Ferrari or any major team would keep testers they don't have confidence in, they aren't going to find a tester with the race experience that MS has.

Tazio
24th November 2007, 01:58

Very well put!
There is someone alot closer to the testing than any of us. Here is a part of his asessment of Mike

"Bloody hell. That was impressive what he did at Barcelona. It was incredible," the Australian said.

"I'm surprised he doesn't come back to be honest. If he seriously got into a top car for next year he could win the world championship again.

"But I think he has made his decision (to retire) and he wants to stick by it," Michael added
http://www.feedmef1.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=8766

Garry Walker
24th November 2007, 17:20
I reckon he will be easily fastest again.

BDunnell
24th November 2007, 23:21
I also think there is still a lot of pent up dislike for Michael borne of the DH/JV rivalry and what sometimes happened on track.

Allied to MS in a Ferrari (Ferrari had the rivalry with JH/McLaren in '76) and that is a dream team for those who harbor a dislike of anything anti 'British stiff upper lip' etc.

And there is a common link of who to blame here - the gutter press. They paint the pictures to sell the stories, us armchair enthusiasts only get to read what the press want us to read.

Et Voila, a real couldron of 'bad blood'.

Still, it beats being all love and peace 'n all that........ ;)

:D

It is for exactly these reasons that I have never hated Schumacher or Ferrari. Far from it, in fact — quite apart from the fact that 'hating' an F1 driver or team is far too strong an emotion to have.

Tazio
27th November 2007, 00:51
+ Hammy, hopefully :)
I missed it on the thread that was closed. So I will reiterate it here
HAMILTON CHOKED------PROFOUNDLY---ROUND GRAVEL THAT DOESNT COMPACT! WHAT KIND OF WEAK EXCUSE IS THAT? YOUR MAN CHOKED PLAIN AND SIMPLE. IS THAT DUBIOUS ENOUGH FOR YOU? THAT WAS A PATHETIC ATEMPT AT JUSTIFYING HIS FAILIER. HE CHOKED! GET OVER IT!

ArrowsFA1
27th November 2007, 09:39
There is someone alot closer to the testing than any of us. Here is a part of his asessment of Mike

"Bloody hell. That was impressive what he did at Barcelona. It was incredible," the Australian said.
http://www.feedmef1.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=8766
It's funny how opinions can differ, even among those "in the know".

"I don't think it was remarkable at all. It's not like he was going to turn up wobbling about like John Barnes on Strictly Come Dancing.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=41343

Mickey T
27th November 2007, 10:22
ferrari would love to have him back in a race seat.

they took him testing because they knew he would do well. the guys i know on the ferrari team all told me he went into the test hungrier than any of the young guys, like he wanted to prove a point.

to a man, they all said they wanted him to come back and that he would dominate the championship in this year's car.

but he is retired and wants to stay that way. he has had significant inputs into the current F1 car, the 08 F1 car, the development of the F430 Scuderia road car (particularly, the separation of its traction control and damper settings with one damper button on the dash, so you can have it full soft on the most aggressive traction setting) and the next Ferrari road car will be full of schumi ideas.

i think he's enjoying life.

SGWilko
27th November 2007, 10:26
HAMILTON CHOKED------PROFOUNDLY---ROUND GRAVEL THAT DOESNT COMPACT! WHAT KIND OF WEAK EXCUSE IS THAT? YOUR MAN CHOKED PLAIN AND SIMPLE. IS THAT DUBIOUS ENOUGH FOR YOU? THAT WAS A PATHETIC ATEMPT AT JUSTIFYING HIS FAILIER. HE CHOKED! GET OVER IT!

No need to shout, that's just poor forum etiquette.

And, we are over it, but people such as yourself keep endlessly banging on about it.

Relax, take a pill, and maybe you can get over it, as it clearly is an issue for you.

SGWilko
27th November 2007, 10:30
ferrari would love to have him back in a race seat.

they took him testing because they knew he would do well. the guys i know on the ferrari team all told me he went into the test hungrier than any of the young guys, like he wanted to prove a point.

I bet he wanted to prove a point, being ousted from the team when he was clearly not ready to make a decision on his future was a knife in the back, especially as he has clearly been so instramental in Ferrari's recent successes.

Loyalty seems to count for nothing then, something I am sure Mr Todt is finding out for himself, as did Stepney.

Ranger
27th November 2007, 10:37
To me, the tests don't prove anything other than that he is still pretty damn good at what he does.

Although some of the claims from people here are rather overblown, as they were just tests and really don't mean anything much, sort of like Pete Sampras' recent victory over Roger Federer in an exhibition match.

passmeatissue
27th November 2007, 11:06

The end of the thread, where I pointed out that MS was more of a choker than LH, was moved to the History and Nostalgia forum. If you would like to take your fanboy tantrum over there, I will try to explain it to you.

Tazio
27th November 2007, 17:09
It's funny how opinions can differ, even among those "in the know".

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=41343
Were you making a joke?
DC's opinnion would be a little shaded to say the least.
I would think that SM had no reason to tout him, other than reason.

Tazio
27th November 2007, 17:15
The end of the thread, where I pointed out that MS was more of a choker than LH, was moved to the History and Nostalgia forum. If you would like to take your fanboy tantrum over there, I will try to explain it to you. I don't need an explanation from "Hamilton Fan Boy Rex."
Which driver am I a fan boy of, pray-tell? I don't believe I have a favorite,
so please clue me in! In the mean time I must state that hamilton's
season climaxed with a monumental choke

ArrowsFA1
27th November 2007, 17:33
Were you making a joke?
I thought the Strictly Come Dancing comment was rather funny... :D

Tazio
27th November 2007, 17:33
I don't need an explanation from "Hamilton Fan Boy Rex."
Which driver am I a fan boy of, pray-tell? I don't believe I have a favorite,
so please clue me in! In the mean time I must state that hamilton's
season climaxed with a monumental choke
Get Over it tiss

Tazio
27th November 2007, 17:34
I thought the Strictly Come Dancing comment was rather funny... :D I'm sure it is what is the context

Tazio
27th November 2007, 17:38
No need to shout, that's just poor forum etiquette.

And, we are over it, but people such as yourself keep endlessly banging on about it.

Relax, take a pill, and maybe you can get over it, as it clearly is an issue for you.
I have nothing to get over. The truth speaks for itself.
I just have to remind those that are in denial.
I'm out of here chief!

ArrowsFA1
27th November 2007, 17:48
I'm sure it is what is the context
http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/

Tazio
28th November 2007, 01:19
OK I get it.
I'm not much up on pop TV

wmcot
28th November 2007, 08:49
I still don't see the fuss over MS testing. He's already on the payroll and is more than capable of testing a car. Would any other team in the same situation have turned him down? I doubt it.

ArrowsFA1
28th November 2007, 09:08
I still don't see the fuss over MS testing. He's already on the payroll and is more than capable of testing a car. Would any other team in the same situation have turned him down? I doubt it.
Perhaps the fuss is more about his fans being able to enjoy seeing him back in a F1 car, and him showing what we all know he is capable of. That opens up the opportunity to say "if he was racing again he'd beat everyone out there."

Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the GP Masters series while it lasted. Perhaps that could be revived to give MS the opportunity to race a single-seater competitively again...in a relaxed, enjoyable and retiring atmosphere :D

wmcot
28th November 2007, 09:32
Perhaps the fuss is more about his fans being able to enjoy seeing him back in a F1 car, and him showing what we all know he is capable of. That opens up the opportunity to say "if he was racing again he'd beat everyone out there."

Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the GP Masters series while it lasted. Perhaps that could be revived to give MS the opportunity to race a single-seater competitively again...in a relaxed, enjoyable and retiring atmosphere :D

It also gives the MS bashers something to live for again! ;)

Tazio
28th November 2007, 16:16
It also gives the MS bashers something to live for again! ;)
Well at least a sense of being, on an existential level

SGWilko
28th November 2007, 17:58
Well at least a sense of being, on an existential level

How philosophical of you! ;)

ioan
30th November 2007, 15:23
How philosophical of you! ;)

And right on it! :)