PDA

View Full Version : Road rage :-S

Daniel
5th November 2007, 11:45
Was driving down a lane in the dark back home and this red 406 came up behind me. Was so close up behind me that I couldn’t see his lights. Tailgated me for another mile or two mostly with my windscreen washers on. Then at a junction he overtook me without looking for other cars. So I flashed my highbeams to tell him how I felt and he stopped and got out of the car and started to come towards me. Presumably to give me a hug and show his happiness at the recent Springbok Word Cup victory one would assume. At this point I was stopped and wasn't quite sure I wanted to stop for a snuggle as Caroline can be the jealous type. So I took the car out of gear, let it roll back a bit and floored it in first and dropped the clutch and took off and went around him. He then started to tailgate me again all the way down a really steep and dangerous hill. At this point I was already on the phone to 999 and was reporting him. Anyhoo went a bit further and he was still behind me. So I turned into the high street because I knew there are almost always Police there on a Friday night. He didn’t turn off with me but there was a Police car. So I parked up and went and had a chat with them and told them the make and reg of the car and suddenly he drove past :D the policeman shouted “THAT’S HIM” and charged off and went up behind him and put his lights on and pulled him over on a busy high street and gave him a good talking to :cheese: Apparently he’d just got out of his car to “talk” to me. Yeah right!!!!!! Also turns out he’d had a small child with him :crazy: Crazy innit?

Got any crazy road rage incidents to speak of? :mark:

Mark
5th November 2007, 11:54
I was driving my red 406 in Wales yesterday and wanted Daniel to stop so I could congralate him on the Springbok's victory,but he ended up calling the police on me :(

Daniel
5th November 2007, 12:03
I was driving my red 406 in Wales yesterday and wanted Daniel to stop so I could congralate him on the Springbok's victory,but he ended up calling the police on me :(
Didn't know you had a child and have aged about 20 or 30 years since I last saw you :p

Magnus
5th November 2007, 13:02
You don´t know anything... Sea rage; there is something to talk abt! Just one out of a thousand examples: this summer I was changing head gaskets on a Chevy 350 in a bayliner :( . Suddenly this Nimbus 28DC came by in abt fifteen knots, not fast, but just as the point of making as big wake as possible. The elderly couple in the boat of course did not notice anything - they usually don´t... In the are area there is btw a speed limit of five knots.

Anyways, I ran up from the boats engine compartment in order to keep it out from the pontoon. While standing on the pontoon I heard a large "crash" from the engineroom. When I came back down my case with all my tools had fallen up-side down onto the opened engine. The engine was now filled with tools, and various sorts of rubbish. It ended with that I had to lift the boat up, and take the engine out of the boat, and disassemble it in order to clean it. That was one sad Magnus, and one sad customer...
:devil: :(

jim mcglinchey
5th November 2007, 13:45
Bus drivers...they dont give a shi+. Anytime that Ive to get out of the car and give another driver some abuse for nearly getting me killed, its always a bus driver.

Captain VXR
5th November 2007, 16:13
Bus drivers...they dont give a shi+. Anytime that Ive to get out of the car and give another driver some abuse for nearly getting me killed, its always a bus driver.

You might want to edit your post before a mod sees and you get 10 points for dodging the swear filter like I did :)

jim mcglinchey
5th November 2007, 17:52
...are points not a badge of honour?....

Brown, Jon Brow
5th November 2007, 21:18
I have only ever had minor road rage in my 4months driving experience. It was in Preston and I was indicating to move in to the right hand lane to turn right. I was about to move lanes but as I checked my mirror the car behind decided to ignore my signal and overtake me. When the traffic lights for turning right changed to green, the women driving the car that overtook was just stopped there talking to a bloke at the side of the road. I gave a gently beeb on the horn to alert her, she set off but the bloke started to shout abuse at me and waved at me in an offensive way.

I waved back in the regular way :wave:

Daniel
5th November 2007, 21:28
Jon. It's good to see new drivers know how to be courteous ;)

DonJippo
5th November 2007, 21:39
Was driving down a lane in the dark back home and this red 406 came up behind me. Was so close up behind me that I couldn’t see his lights. Tailgated me for another mile or two mostly with my windscreen washers on.

So why did you not just let him pass you?

Daniel
5th November 2007, 21:40
So why did you not just let him pass you?
It's a 1.5 car wide at most places :)

Brown, Jon Brow
5th November 2007, 21:48
I would just drive faster if some one was tailgating me.

Daniel
5th November 2007, 21:54
I would just drive faster if some one was tailgating me.
Not on a twisty 1.5 lane road when you're already going fast enough :P

Brown, Jon Brow
5th November 2007, 21:57
Not on a twisty 1.5 lane road when you're already going fast enough :P

But I wouldn't know what fast enough is :p (And would probably end up in a hedge)

Daniel
5th November 2007, 21:57
But I wouldn't know what fast enough is :p (And would probably end up in a hedge)
Not on this bit of road. Got nice raised banks on the side so you'd put your nice shiney new car into a bank. Not nice :p

Drew
5th November 2007, 22:03
Oh dear Danny boy, you certainly like putting your foot in it, don't you? :p :

I'm sure sometimes I have some latin bloody flowing through my veins, I use my horn all the time

fandango
5th November 2007, 22:13
I had an similar incident to Daniel about 6-8 months ago. There was this VWGolf that was lane hopping all over the place, trying to get past everyone. I saw him get closer and when he came up to me, the road changed to a two-way street, with traffic coming the other way. This led into a one way street which was about a car and a half wide, with a traffic light changing to red 50 metres away. The guy squeezed past me, accelerating hard and braking hard to stop at the lights beside me. I was on a motorbike, btw. His window was down, so I said that I thought he was overdoing it a bit. He was about 23-5 years old. After telling me to shoove it, he drove off, but he was so close to me that his door mirror hit my handlebar. I gave a small thump on the side of his car as a reaction.

It all kind of went slow motion for a moment then. He stopped and got out in a rage, although his girlfriend tried to stop him. I had time to get off the bike and lie it down before the attack, but while I was doing this I realised that this was just too silly. He was quite a bit shorter than me, and was out of control, and I was wearing a helmet! A headbut would finish him off, but I just pushed away his arms when he tried to hit me.

Anyway, then he sped off, and at that point I realised that I was outside a police station, and I had his reg number. So I decided to report him. However, as often happens in Spain, although they were the traffic police, they weren't the right police to report this infraction to. I needed to go to the Catalan national police. I left, thinking I'd do that, and when I came out to the street there was the guy again. He'd returned and was looking for something he'd obviously dropped on the road. I went over to him and told him I was going to report him. His reaction was first rate, becuase he said HE was going to report ME for assaulting HIM. I was amazed. I looked at him and I said "Look, I know you're lying, you know you're lying, so do you want to do this through the law or do you want to talk about this like a man?" (I felt like John Wayne!) So we had a chat about it, his (very talkative) girlfriend too, and in the end he admitted that you can't go round driving like this. It was a better way to sort it all out for me, although the guy probably thought I was a fool for not fighting him. In the end, though, he'd come back for some buttons that had fallen off his jacket when his girlfriend was trying to stop him getting out. So he wasn't even in a hurry....

By a mad coincidence, a few months later I came across another similar driver in exactly the same place, on the same street. This time I took out my phone and took his picture. Shut him up, and he drove as peaceful as a lamb after that.

Wilderness
5th November 2007, 22:36
Was driving down a lane in the dark back home and this red 406 came up behind me. Was so close up behind me that I couldn’t see his lights. Tailgated me for another mile or two mostly with my windscreen washers on. Then at a junction he overtook me without looking for other cars. So I flashed my highbeams to tell him how I felt and he stopped and got out of the car and started to come towards me. Presumably to give me a hug and show his happiness at the recent Springbok Word Cup victory one would assume. At this point I was stopped and wasn't quite sure I wanted to stop for a snuggle as Caroline can be the jealous type. So I took the car out of gear, let it roll back a bit and floored it in first and dropped the clutch and took off and went around him. He then started to tailgate me again all the way down a really steep and dangerous hill. At this point I was already on the phone to 999 and was reporting him. Anyhoo went a bit further and he was still behind me. So I turned into the high street because I knew there are almost always Police there on a Friday night. He didn’t turn off with me but there was a Police car. So I parked up and went and had a chat with them and told them the make and reg of the car and suddenly he drove past :D the policeman shouted “THAT’S HIM” and charged off and went up behind him and put his lights on and pulled him over on a busy high street and gave him a good talking to :cheese: Apparently he’d just got out of his car to “talk” to me. Yeah right!!!!!! Also turns out he’d had a small child with him :crazy: Crazy innit?

Did you give him the smoke curtain treatment? (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351902&postcount=6) That might have been enough to push him over the brink...

Daniel
6th November 2007, 00:26
Did you give him the smoke curtain treatment? (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351902&postcount=6) That might have been enough to push him over the brink...
No. I didn't want to cause an accident :mark: I usually only do it when it's well lit or a straight but of road. Doing it in a lane would be evil ;)

Magnus
6th November 2007, 12:08
Would be interesting to hear the other parts version. Where are they? Who are they? Allegedlly Marks one of the ;)
is it that the world consists of two different kind of people? Then: which is Bush and which is Bin ladin: the tailgater or the ordinary citizen? Hmm :s

Daniel
6th November 2007, 12:24
Would be interesting to hear the other parts version. Where are they? Who are they? Allegedlly Marks one of the ;)
is it that the world consists of two different kind of people? Then: which is Bush and which is Bin ladin: the tailgater or the ordinary citizen? Hmm :s
It's strange it's something I just don't comprehend. I get angry on the roads but only when someone does something to me but I don't feel the need to endanger myself just because someone else is being a twonk or going a bit slowly. The most problem I ever have is people driving below the speed limit in the "fast" lane on the way to work. A quick flick of the highbeams and 99% of them move over into the left lane. All sorted and no one gets hurt or worked up.

Mark
6th November 2007, 12:56
Have you ever tried driving in Lane 1 of a motorway and not overtaking anything? I'm always amazed at just how slowly some people will drive, I mean why would you travel on a 3 lane motorway at 40mph in a car capable of double that with no additional stress? :s

J4MIE
6th November 2007, 13:34
In Daniel's situation, more often than not I would slow right down.

Daniel
6th November 2007, 13:41
Have you ever tried driving in Lane 1 of a motorway and not overtaking anything? I'm always amazed at just how slowly some people will drive, I mean why would you travel on a 3 lane motorway at 40mph in a car capable of double that with no additional stress? :s
Definitely. If I see someone pulling out from behind someone doing 40 I'll usually let them out. It's the people who just sit in lane 2 doing 60 in a 70 zone that get on my nerves :)

Drew
6th November 2007, 18:25

This does my head in too. I understand in Hazell's and other people's cases that they literally cannot go faster than that, but people that can are just annoying. They cause tailbacks, traffic bunches up and people are more likely to have an accident, grr!

MrJan
6th November 2007, 20:27
Indeed, people who drive too slowly on motorways are the ones that cause accidents. I always think that if you aren't very confident driving a car then you pretty much shouldn't be allowed on the road. That said there are a lot of over confident people out there too.

As for road rage the closest I ever came was when I was riding a push bike on the road. Stopped at a red light and some woman said I shouldn't be on the road because there was a cycle path nearby (which finished about 100 yards around the corner). I simply replied "I'm surprised you know that, doesn't look like you've ever used one you fat b***h" at which point the light turned green and I rode merrily on my way feeling very smug :D

Daniel
6th November 2007, 20:28
Indeed, people who drive too slowly on motorways are the ones that cause accidents. I always think that if you aren't very confident driving a car then you pretty much shouldn't be allowed on the road. That said there are a lot of over confident people out there too.

As for road rage the closest I ever came was when I was riding a push bike on the road. Stopped at a red light and some woman said I shouldn't be on the road because there was a cycle path nearby (which finished about 100 yards around the corner). I simply replied "I'm surprised you know that, doesn't look like you've ever used one you fat b***h" at which point the light turned green and I rode merrily on my way feeling very smug :D
Bad boy! :rolleyes:

Good one :D :up:

Mark
7th November 2007, 07:29
Almost did a bit of road rage myself last night.
I was coming home on the central motorway in Newcastle, traffic was at a snails pace as usual, and cars were entering the motorway from the left.

Now the law says that traffic entering the motorway must give way to traffic already on the motorway, but as it was nose to tail we were zip merging with the joining traffic (i.e. everyone lets one car in) which is all good.

So as expected I hold back to let one car go in then pull in behind (all at 1mph!). But then this guy in a big silver Merc starts to try to follow the other car in front of me and gets closer and closer to my left hand side, eventually I had to stop to let him go in front of me otherwise he would have just driven into the side of my car :s .

I gave him a massive blast of the horn, felt like for about 2 minutes but must have been a few seconds. In fact I was still sounding my horn at him when he ducked off into Lane 2.

At one point my queue of traffic was ahead of him, I did feel like pulling in front of him, but sensibleness got the better of me :p .

So remember kids, make sure that car on the motorway is actually giving way to you :p

Daniel
7th November 2007, 08:06
Almost did a bit of road rage myself last night.
I was coming home on the central motorway in Newcastle, traffic was at a snails pace as usual, and cars were entering the motorway from the left.

Now the law says that traffic entering the motorway must give way to traffic already on the motorway, but as it was nose to tail we were zip merging with the joining traffic (i.e. everyone lets one car in) which is all good.

So as expected I hold back to let one car go in then pull in behind (all at 1mph!). But then this guy in a big silver Merc starts to try to follow the other car in front of me and gets closer and closer to my left hand side, eventually I had to stop to let him go in front of me otherwise he would have just driven into the side of my car :s .

I gave him a massive blast of the horn, felt like for about 2 minutes but must have been a few seconds. In fact I was still sounding my horn at him when he ducked off into Lane 2.

At one point my queue of traffic was ahead of him, I did feel like pulling in front of him, but sensibleness got the better of me :p .

So remember kids, make sure that car on the motorway is actually giving way to you :p
That's exactly what I'd do :p

Wilderness
7th November 2007, 14:37
Now the law says that traffic entering the motorway must give way to traffic already on the motorway,
It's the opposite in the state I live in here the US. They changed it about 20 years ago, and in the process they made the center lane the slow lane to allow for merging (on highways wider than two lanes of course).

Too many little old ladies getting plowed through when stopped in the middle of on ramps.

555-04Q2
7th November 2007, 15:03

What you should have done Dan is: when the guy started to approach your car, get out and say (in a really irritated manner), 'You picked the wrong guy to $%$# with on the wrong %$&^*&^ day mate" while reaching behind your back as you walk towards him. Works everytime (well twice out of three occations for me).

If your'e a lover and not a fighter, then what you did is the best option :)

Wilderness
7th November 2007, 17:23
What happened the one time it didn't work??? :D

Easy Drifter
7th November 2007, 17:53
You mean when the other driver reaches down and A. pulls out a .44 Smith and Wesson Magnum or B. pulls out his badge.
I would never succumb to road rage (yeah right) unless you count something like assisting a driver gain speed onto the Parkway with the front bumper of my pickup up against the rear bumper of his Jetta. :angel:

555-04Q2
8th November 2007, 05:50
What happened the one time it didn't work??? :D

The only time it didnt work was because it was a woman !!!!! She threatened to rip my nuts off and shove them you know where. After I had recieved a rather pathetic slap across the earhole and a few more colourful explitives, she got in her car and left. Woman !!!!!

Daniel
8th November 2007, 11:41
What you should have done Dan is: when the guy started to approach your car, get out and say (in a really irritated manner), 'You picked the wrong guy to $%$# with on the wrong %$&^*&^ day mate" while reaching behind your back as you walk towards him. Works everytime (well twice out of three occations for me).

If your'e a lover and not a fighter, then what you did is the best option :)
I'm a lover not a fighter in that case then :p To me whenever someone gets out of their car to "talk" to someone that shows that they're a bit loopy and I don't generally make an effort to interact with loopy people.

555-04Q2
8th November 2007, 13:24
I'm a lover not a fighter in that case then :p To me whenever someone gets out of their car to "talk" to someone that shows that they're a bit loopy and I don't generally make an effort to interact with loopy people.

I can be loopy at times myself :p :

Mark
13th November 2007, 07:27
Had one this morning.
I was on the slip road merging with the Gateshead Highway (which is an elevated dual carriageway)

I see a set of headlights in my wing mirror so just do the usual thing of slow down a little bit, expecting the car to go past and I slot in behind.

Except they slowed down... that's not unusual many are cautious until they see you are giving way then speed up.

But this person came to a complete stop, on the dual carriageway :s . I had to actually pull out myself as they weren't going anywhere :mark:

Daniel
13th November 2007, 07:50
Had one this morning.
I was on the slip road merging with the Gateshead Highway (which is an elevated dual carriageway)

I see a set of headlights in my wing mirror so just do the usual thing of slow down a little bit, expecting the car to go past and I slot in behind.

Except they slowed down... that's not unusual many are cautious until they see you are giving way then speed up.

But this person came to a complete stop, on the dual carriageway :s . I had to actually pull out myself as they weren't going anywhere :mark:
It's always the ones who try to be too safe that are dangerous :mark:

J4MIE
14th November 2007, 01:45
I say Mark shouldn't be allowed on the road. If he wasn't trying to join the road then there wouldn't have been a problem :D

dime3
14th November 2007, 19:48
It's always the ones who try to be too safe that are dangerous :mark:
Then there are those that aren't safe at all!

There is a happy medium. (Captain sensible to the rescue :D )

thetrooper_uk
15th November 2007, 02:41
years ago I was on my way home from work in the winter and was wearing a ski mask as it was bleedin cold. I heading along a back lane when a car heading toward me didn't slow down and I was stopped halfway up the banking. He passed me and smacked my wing mirror and then stopped got out slammed his door and started marching toward me. I slowly got out and looked up at him, he then seen that I had the black ski mask on and about turned rushed back to his car jumped in and sped off. I then clicked my mirror back into it's fixings and laughed to myself on how funny it was to see him get out mad then run away. I suppose it must have looked dodgy someone getting out of a car down a small lane at night with a black ski mask just like the terrorists wear. I couldn't stop laughing to myself all the way home.