PDA

View Full Version : Who wears No1 on their car in 2008?

greencroft
4th November 2007, 09:36
My 5 year old boy, Andrew, has asked me if Marcus wins the championship this year and then retires, who will get to have the number 1 on the side of their car in 2008?

He thinks it should be Mikko because he is Marcus' team mate.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks

Simon & Andrew.

bennizw
4th November 2007, 09:40
As you're son says, it should be Mikko from what I know. This because Ford is very likely to score another manufactors title, and therefore is secured the number 3 and 4 after the team who wins the drivers title. If Marcus wins the drivers title too, this will mean the team will get the 1, 2 numbers reserved for the 2008 season. And for all we know, Mikko will be teamleader next year, therefore the lowest number, which hopefully will be nr. 1 :)

EDIT: Damn! I see I've made 1006 posts. I never realized when I passed the golden 1000..

Addicted
4th November 2007, 11:19
Only champions should use number 1, not ex-teammates or best friends. Thats my opinion.

GigiGalliNo1
4th November 2007, 12:43
so no no.1?

koko0703
4th November 2007, 13:09
As happened in Formula 1 before, I think the proper way is to have #0 & #2 car for Ford if Macus wins the title. But last year when Loeb missed some rounds, Kronos kept #1 car without Loeb. So I'm not sure what will happen.

Erki
4th November 2007, 14:30
Well, we already have #0 cars in rallying too...

J4MIE
4th November 2007, 14:41
I think Mikko should run with it, why not as it is only a number? :s

Jaanus
4th November 2007, 15:13
I assume Kronos wil not compete next year and that both Stobart and Munchis teams will continue.
As it stands right now the numbers will be:

1 Hirvonen
2 Ford driver no 2
3 Loeb
4 Sordo
5 P Solberg
6 Atkinson
7 Stobart driver no 1
8 Stobart driver no 2
9 Munchis driver no 1
10 Munchis driver no 2
11 Suzuki driver no 1
12 Suzuki driver no 2

Langdale Forest
4th November 2007, 16:57
If Loeb wins the championship he will have the no. 1 next year but if Gronholm wins it Hirvonen should have the number 1 because Ford will probably win the manufactures championship.

jso1985
4th November 2007, 19:40
If Gronholm wins I really don't think Hirvonen or the other Ford driver should get #1, that's the number only the current champion should use, in other forms of motorsport they give #0, but in rallying there's already car number 0, so maybe Ford could get numbers 2 and 3, Citroën 4 and 5 and so on, I just don't like the idea of someone who's not the current champion having the #1 car(worse if it's someone who hasn't won a championship any year)

Maui J.
4th November 2007, 20:47
If Gronholm wins I really don't think Hirvonen or the other Ford driver should get #1, that's the number only the current champion should use, in other forms of motorsport they give #0, but in rallying there's already car number 0, so maybe Ford could get numbers 2 and 3, Citroën 4 and 5 and so on, I just don't like the idea of someone who's not the current champion having the #1 car(worse if it's someone who hasn't won a championship any year)

I agree. If Marcus wins and retires then no number 1 next year.

tribefiend
5th November 2007, 05:10
I vote for no #1 next year should Marcus be champion this year. Only defending world champ should get 1.

WRCfan
5th November 2007, 08:36
Does it really matter? Everyone knows Marcus won the championship(if that is what happens), not like Mikko is taking all the glory, it's just a number on the side of a car.

Personally I would be more upset at the co-drivers names still lacking from the cars, Mikko having Marcus #1 on his door doesn't stir me up at all. Jarmo, Phil, Kato, Marc, Daniel, and all the other co-drivers names missing does stir me up.

jparker
5th November 2007, 18:20
My 5 year old boy, Andrew, has asked me if Marcus wins the championship this year and then retires, who will get to have the number 1 on the side of their car in 2008?

He thinks it should be Mikko because he is Marcus' team mate.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks

Simon & Andrew.

The right answer ot this question would be "Let's wait to see if Marcus gets the title first, then we'll figure it out". Of course, if you see Marcus destined to win, and no one can change that, theyn it's fine.

N
5th November 2007, 18:43
who cares, this has already been discused in another thread. The way I look it at, if Marcus wins the championship and doesn't do the next season, then you go by the teams standings and 1 and 2 is given to the winners of manufacturers championship. It's only a number, get over it.

BDunnell
5th November 2007, 19:36
All the more reason to revert to the old system of having separate seeding for each event.

Glee
5th November 2007, 22:30
There are three possibilities:

a)
1 - Hirvonen
2 - Ford 2.
3 - Seb

b)
3 - Hirvonen
4 - Ford 2.
5 - Seb.

c)
2 - Hirvonen
3 - Ford 2.
4 - Seb.

My personal favorite is c, but I can't understand why there are no regulations concerning this.

Addicted
6th November 2007, 00:14
Maybe there won`t be any numbers. Instead they will be given alphabetics like:
FORD
A Mikko Hirvonen
B Khalid Al-Qassimi

CITROEN
C Sebastien Loeb
D Daniel Sordo

and so on.

Or they might give up these smaller numbers and start numbering from 100.

And now Iwill go to sleep.

Tumbo
6th November 2007, 01:30
hey McRae ran w/ no.1 in his last WRC outting in 06 - not as if it hasn't happened before the reigning champ not having the no.1......... if we go back far enough numbering was determined on who had won that individual round the previous yr

Lalo
7th November 2007, 14:49
I assume Kronos wil not compete next year and that both Stobart and Munchis teams will continue.
As it stands right now the numbers will be:

1 Hirvonen
2 Ford driver no 2
3 Loeb
4 Sordo
5 P Solberg
6 Atkinson
7 Stobart driver no 1
8 Stobart driver no 2
9 Munchis driver no 1
10 Munchis driver no 2
11 Suzuki driver no 1
12 Suzuki driver no 2

Agree and second that

Brother John
7th November 2007, 14:59
Pfffffffffffffffffff
Who care about the numbers?
1 Hirvonen
2 Ford driver no 2

That´s it, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :p :

ZequeArgentina
7th November 2007, 16:19
Do not worry, I guess Loeb will carry number 1 in 2008.

PuddleJumper
7th November 2007, 16:30
who cares, this has already been discused in another thread. The way I look it at, if Marcus wins the championship and doesn't do the next season, then you go by the teams standings and 1 and 2 is given to the winners of manufacturers championship. It's only a number, get over it.
:up: Couldn't agree more.

WRCfan
8th November 2007, 06:08

And then the championship becomes another 500% more BORING for another year!

Mauri A
8th November 2007, 07:29
And I guess you are wrong!!

joseconxo
8th November 2007, 17:05
X. Pons had the number 1 when Loeb was injured in 2006 with kronos, so someone will take the number 1

http://www.magazinemotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/tbl_noticias_fichero_imagenes_5663.jpg

jparker
8th November 2007, 18:28
And then the championship becomes another 500% more BORING for another year!
are you saying that if Loeb don't run car N1 the championship will be more interesting? Nonsense

jparker
8th November 2007, 18:36

And I guess you are wrong!!

So Mauri, how do you know for sure he's wrong? Do you know something we don't?
Hmm, after all not all Finns understand sarcasm :D
The point is, we are just wasting our time talking about it before WRC2007 ends.

White Sauron
8th November 2007, 18:38
are you saying that if Loeb don't run car N1 the championship will not be boring? Nonsense

Statistics shows #1 wins 25.86% of events, while #3 - 17.16%. This means (statistically) that Hirvonen has more chances for next year than Loeb)))

ARJ-206
8th November 2007, 19:47
The reason why Pons and McRae drove No 1 is that the numbers don't change during the season.

If Marcus wins the title it has be No 0, as F1 in 1993/1994.

White Sauron
8th November 2007, 20:07
The reason why Pons and McRae drove No 1 is that the numbers don't change during the season.

If Marcus wins the title it has be No 0, as F1 in 1993/1994.

There's already numbers 0 and 00 in rallying. And they're used for particular aims - for safety needs. Hirvonen will take number 1, what's the problem?

ZequeArgentina
8th November 2007, 21:35
So Mauri, how do you know for sure he's wrong? Do you know something we don't?
Hmm, after all not all Finns understand sarcasm :D
The point is, we are just wasting our time talking about it before WRC2007 ends.

Mauri knows much more rally than I do (and I consider myself someone who knows something about rally), but in this case it is just a feelling; and also something related to wish more than real expectations:

He whant the finns to win both F1 and WRC tittles, Marcus to retire being champ; and an Argentine bottle of good wine to be opened!!!

ARJ-206
8th November 2007, 21:52
There's already numbers 0 and 00 in rallying. And they're used for particular aims - for safety needs. Hirvonen will take number 1, what's the problem?

They could use 00 and 000 for the safety cars.

WRCfan
9th November 2007, 00:05
are you saying that if Loeb don't run car N1 the championship will be more interesting? Nonsense

The championship would be more interesting. Because those morons who run the commentary would not be able to use the phrase "and world champion Sebastien Loeb" "now back with world number one Sebastien Loeb" It's as bad as the Brit commentators who talk about Lewis Hamilton in this years F1 championship.

In a 30 minute daily highlight shows seeing 14 minutes of Loeb driving is boring. They seem to forget that there is usually about 10 other WRC cars in the event yet we see nothing of them.... "and now lets catch up with the action further down the field." and 30 seconds later "Now World champion Sebastien Loeb starts the stage....." AAAAGH!

Hearing those words is BORING. Just constantly reminds us that he has a stranglehold on the championship.

I know hes good although we don't watch the footage to see one car or go to the rounds to see Loeb only. We go to see everyone. Would be nice if this was reflected through the TV broadcasting.

joseconxo
9th November 2007, 12:42
At the beginning of the championship are distributed numbers, if Gronholm run a rally, it will do so with the following numbers are not occupied, not with 0 or 00. And if Marcus is replacing some pilot Ford, the number of this pilot.

GigiGalliNo1
9th November 2007, 13:10
maybe the safty cars can have -0 :p

or the number one driver next year who won;t have the number one can have -1 or -0 hahha

feresc13
10th November 2007, 08:20
Well, if Marcus wins the world championship we could go back a few years, when the number was the final classification of that rally the previous year, and the problem is solved.

But I think that the number 1, if wins Marcus, will be for Mikko, and number 2 for Jari-Matti.

alleskids
10th November 2007, 09:02
Statistics shows #1 wins 25.86% of events, while #3 - 17.16%. This means (statistically) that Hirvonen has more chances for next year than Loeb)))

I think that has more to do with the quality of the man who wears that number 1, the quality that made him world champion the year before, or in the old days, when he won the rally last year and apperantly feels good in that kind of rally circumstances.

Rat
13th November 2007, 11:14
Mr Atkinson will wear No 1 plate real soon!

Brother John
13th November 2007, 16:13

Will he leave Subaru ? :p :D

Corny
16th November 2007, 21:22

For sure, when he's driving a national event..

alleskids
2nd December 2007, 14:35
Loeb has solved the number 1 plate on the door in 2008 problem :)

1 Loeb
2 Sordo
3 Hirvonen
4 Latvalla
5 Solberg, P
6 Atkinson
7 Solberg, H
8 Wilson, Galli ?
9 Villagra ?
10 Perez Companc, Clark ?
11 Garedemeister ?
12 Aava, Wilks ?

greencroft
3rd December 2007, 18:02
As the starter of this thread on behalf of my son, thanks for all your comments. He was chuffed to bits to see how many people from all over the world read and responded to his question.

He is now inconsolably upset to find that he will never get the chance to see Marcus driving on a world rally. The joys of parenting!