PDA

View Full Version : NASN / NASCAR 2007 Season...

Pages : [1] 2

Abo
4th January 2007, 13:43
...any word? I just tried the website but it seems to be down...

Abo
4th January 2007, 13:45
Oops, belay that! I've managed to get in from my work broadband and it says 'currently in negotiations with NASCAR'.

Wonder why the website likes my Tiscali ADSL but not my NTL cable?

bowler900
4th January 2007, 14:28
Are we all aware that NASN was bought by ESPN (Disney) on 6th December, I wonder how this will affect Nascar coverage. Acording to the press report i read all existing contracts will be carried over to ESPN however I think the Nascar one is a yearly negotiation and ESPN dont carry the whole Nascar season as far as i am aware.

Any thoughts?

Abo
4th January 2007, 14:35
Are we all aware that NASN was bought by ESPN (Disney) on 6th December, I wonder how this will affect Nascar coverage. Acording to the press report i read all existing contracts will be carried over to ESPN however I think the Nascar one is a yearly negotiation and ESPN dont carry the whole Nascar season as far as i am aware.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, ESPN have got the last 17 races of the season... I'd be suprised (if they are going to show NASCAR at all...) if they don't get the whole lot as NASN will be operating as a seperate company to ESPN (although owned by ESPN), and will therefore be able to negotiate it's own contracts.

LessThanSte
4th January 2007, 15:08
Um, remember, ESPN have the international distribution rights, which are what is important!

Anyhow, as i pointed out in another forum, i'd put money on the fact that NASN know EXACTLY what is happening next season regarding NASCAR coverage, whether they tell us so or not. I mean, by not telling us whats going on, they have people paying 2 or 3 months of NASN subscription for absolutely nothing which is why, even should they decide to not show NASCAR, we wont hear about it until February!

Matt_G850
4th January 2007, 15:16
I thought that under the new deal ESPN were responsible for all Nascar overseas coverage/contracts and that the '17 race deal' was local only to the U.S. I guess time will tell.

edit: sorry steve beat me 2 it!

Dave17
4th January 2007, 15:35
.... they have people paying 2 or 3 months of NASN subscription for absolutely nothing ........

Nothing? The Ice hockey play-offs start soon. Have a look at them, you may get hooked like me!

LessThanSte
4th January 2007, 16:35
Oh brilliant.

OK, Ice Hockey withstanding, theres nothing on over the winter. College sports irritate me!

JDPower
4th January 2007, 18:09
Wonder why the website likes my Tiscali ADSL but not my NTL cable?
Probably cos its NTL :devil: ;)

wends
4th January 2007, 23:21
Hope fully thay will sort it out soon, were in the process of changing our tv and broadband all to one supplier, but are going to hold off untill we know for sure who,s showing nascar......seems to be a split on sky and ntl...time will tell, not sure who,s going to give the best package???? any ideas...

wends
4th January 2007, 23:30
Probably cos its NTL :devil: ;)

Also heard that NTL/TELEWEST, had taken over virgin broadband ?????
Has anyone else heard that...

Would it not be nice to come back from a days racing on a sunday night and just
Pay As You Go, for the time that we want to watch NASCAR.....we found with a yearly subcription we didnt get to watch all the races (proberly about 60-70%)....i,m dreaming know.

cgs
5th January 2007, 01:02
Telewest and NTL merged together, together they bought out Virgin Mobile so now they are one big happy company!

Tiesse
5th January 2007, 07:44
Also heard that NTL/TELEWEST, had taken over virgin broadband ?????
Has anyone else heard that...

I used to go to a lot of NTL sites when I worked for my old company, looking after the close control air conditioning.If my memory serves me correctly, both Tesco broadband & Virgin broadband were already using NTL's switching exchanges anyway (the help desk answered technical help calls as different company name depending which line was ringing - it was in fact NTL staff they were talking to!). This was about 2 years ago.

wends
5th January 2007, 21:19
Telewest and NTL merged together, together they bought out Virgin Mobile so now they are one big happy company!

Small world isnt it, you would think with us at present on virgin, we could get a discount to swop over to ntl(same company)....
Thanks for the help....perhaps sky and ntl will have a price war to give us NASCAR via there football channels,
The best channel around is motors tv (413 sky) wouldnt it be the icing on the cake to stick nascar on there on a sunday night......dreaming again

earnhardt8
6th January 2007, 09:59
I used to go to a lot of NTL sites when I worked for my old company, looking after the close control air conditioning.If my memory serves me correctly, both Tesco broadband & Virgin broadband were already using NTL's switching exchanges anyway (the help desk answered technical help calls as different company name depending which line was ringing - it was in fact NTL staff they were talking to!). This was about 2 years ago.

Definatley was the case with Tesco's as we had a problem with our Broadband Connection as they sent out NTL engineers to attempt to sort it out.

colinspooky
27th January 2007, 11:10
Hi
New around these parts - ---- - NASN/ESPN are leaving things late on this.
:eek:

Sticker Rub
27th January 2007, 11:40
Hi
New around these parts

Welcome to the forum :wave:

pentti
1st February 2007, 15:36
Bud shootout is going to be showned at least on channel 5 at 1.50 am-2.40 on tuesday morning 13th of feb according radio times.

LessThanSte
1st February 2007, 16:05
From the motors tv forum :(

--

Ok, I read on the french MotorsTV Forum and here is the post from one of the Motors crew..

Quote:
Bonjour à tous

Je sais que vous êtes tous des passionnés de la Nascar mais vous vous doutez bien que personne ne peut être plus déçu que moi de la situation actuelle.
Effectivement, au moment où je vous parle, il n'y a pas et il n'y aura pas de Nascar Busch sur Motors TV en 2007.

Deux raisons principales :
- les nouvelles exigences de nos "amis" américains concernant les droits de retransmission ; ils ont bien compris que la NBS était très attractive et veulent en toucher tout de suite les dividendes...
- le fait que Motors TV, dans le même temps, ne peut pas se permettre d'augmenter de manière considérable son budget achats.

Je veux encore croire qu'on arrivera à un deal de dernière minute lorsqu'on se rendra compte que tout le monde est perdant : vous bien sûr, mais aussi nous et notre envie de vous proposer le meilleur des sports mécaniques, et la Nascar elle-même qui se rendra bien compte que la Busch n'est plus diffusée en Europe ! (Un comble pour une série qui cherche à s'étendre !)

Wait and see donc...

A+
LFB

Quick translation: First of all, Motors is dissapointed that they cannot show NBS anymore this season.. Two principal reasons: - new requirements of their American friends concerning the rights of retransmission; they understood well that the NBS was very gravitational and want to touch the dividends immediately of them... - the fact that Motors TV, in same time, cannot be allowed to increase in a considerable way its budget purchases.

Furthermore, they hope there will be a deal in the last second. They cross the fingers, but I don´t belive in it. Thanks for the last years with NBS live on Motors..

---

So, no busch it looks like, unless the sky rumours come true!

mbr
1st February 2007, 17:22
Shame i watched some of the Busch season but with Nascar on NASN i did'nt see as much as i would have liked.But if NASN don't show Nascar this year and the prospect of no Busch on Motors ARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH
Will have to move to the USA but makes it a long drive to work HO HO !!!!!!!!!!

jeffmr2
1st February 2007, 18:06
This is terrible news,looks like there'll be absolutely no nascar action at all on tv this year.

thenumber7
1st February 2007, 18:35
Think the racing will be shown on Five U.S.Sky channel 207,

Speedworx
1st February 2007, 19:06
The crappy highlights of a 3hrs race in 1hr. They can't do the race justice and miss off the good bits.

NASCAR is looking to expand and won't be shown in Europe. Rubbish!

cjhill2002
1st February 2007, 21:40
who says NASN won't be showing NASCAR this year?

I remember before the start of the 05 season they left it to the last minute before announcing they were going to show it. They didn't announce anything until a few days before the Bud Shootout.

A few weeks back I also remember seeing something in MN saying NASN were finalising a deal, only the take over by ESPN was slowing things down and an announcement was to be made shortly.

So still hope yet, I might ring them this weekend to see if i can squeeze at least a hint out of them

LessThanSte
1st February 2007, 22:22
Um, it wasnt this late CJ, we had heard by the saturday prior to the race!

cjhill2002
1st February 2007, 23:32
i dont think we had heard just yet, i remember ringing them exactly a week before the bud shootout because they hadnt announced anything, then i think early the next week they put an announcement on their site.

Bascially if we havent heard anything before next monday then there may be cause for concern.

cjhill2002
2nd February 2007, 17:49
just rang Setanta/NASN whatever u want to call it.

Talk about digging their heels in. Didn't manage to get any info out of them except from 'Keep checking the website'. I was told tho to expect an announcement sooner rather than later

wends
3rd February 2007, 08:51
Were still holding off subscribing to nasn for the year until nascar car has been confirmed........at this rate its going to be a mad rush the night before the bud shootout........doh????

truckmonster
3rd February 2007, 12:16
I hope they show every race on Nasn.There isnt anything else worth watching on it? Moving to the US is the only option really mbr?

Rocsta
3rd February 2007, 13:48
It's not looking good so far :(

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=2&id=142760&bhcp=1

cgs
3rd February 2007, 14:00
MOTORING: Motor Racing: NASCAR
On: five US (35)
Date: Wednesday 21st February 2007 (starting in 18 days)
Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

The Nextel Cup.
NASCAR returns to Five US as the 2007 Nextel Cup begins with the first round from the Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR has become the second most popular televised professional sport in the US ranking behind only the NFL. Internationally, NASCAR races are broadcast in over 150 countries. It holds 17 of the top 20 attended sporting events in the US and has 75 million fans who purchase over $2 billion in product sales. These fans are considered the most brand-loyal in all of sports and, as a result, Fortune 500 companies sponsor NASCAR more than any other sport.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Favourite: Motor Racing: NASCAR' marker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=39413

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

so at least there will be some daytime coverage

JovialJooles
5th February 2007, 11:02
Doh, it's getting late now... :eek:

Abo
5th February 2007, 12:05
Looks like it'll have to be torrents...

althepodracer
5th February 2007, 14:10
I rang setanta yesterday lunchtime and got the "check the website " response, we're still in negatiations

Dave17
5th February 2007, 17:21
I rang setanta yesterday lunchtime and got the "check the website " response, we're still in negatiations

.....and my guess is the guy on the other end of the phone has'nt a clue as to what stage the negotiations are at.

cjhill2002
5th February 2007, 17:42
.....and my guess is the guy on the other end of the phone has'nt a clue as to what stage the negotiations are at.

Precisely!

I rang last friday and got the 'check the wesbite' response, I told them we are paying for this and have a right to know!

cjhill2002
5th February 2007, 17:57
OH DEAR!!!!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=531614

cjhill2002
5th February 2007, 17:59
this thread is interesting!!!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=531614

cgs
5th February 2007, 18:11
i think that's pretty obviously a fake!

althepodracer
5th February 2007, 19:32
Well if they aint got it I will cancel my sub and they can stick it where the sun dont shine

JovialJooles
5th February 2007, 20:22
I got a response this afternoon to my email.

'In response to your query, I can only confirm that NASN are in negotiations with NASCAR at present regarding this years coverage and we expect to make an announcement regarding NASCAR coverage for the upcoming season very soon.'

Given that the current seaon is but a few days away, perhaps they could make an anouncement very very soon!

Their response to their customers is almost as good as - 'we will show every race live or as live on NASN'...

Still, they really are a Mickey Mouse outfit now! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

jeffmr2
5th February 2007, 22:42
Just checked NASN tv listing for this saturday and theres no mention of the Bud shootout,just college hoops and NHL,so i guess that pretty much ends any hope of nascar coverage on tv here in the uk this year.

mbr
6th February 2007, 09:18
Just read this morning that the Budweiser Shootout is being shown on Channel 5 1.50am on Monday 12th February. I think its on for 50 minutes better than nothing i suppose.Still i'm pretty P***ED off that i'm still sort of forced to pay my monthly NASN subs until they make an announcement.

Abo
6th February 2007, 09:49
Looks like I'm off to stock up on blank DVDs then...

JovialJooles
6th February 2007, 10:06
Just checked NASN tv listing for this saturday and theres no mention of the Bud shootout,just college hoops and NHL,so i guess that pretty much ends any hope of nascar coverage on tv here in the uk this year.

Not really...

The schedule will be complied weeks in advance. If as they say, they are still negotiating - just how long does it take - then they can't add something to the schedule they don't know they have.

jeffmr2
6th February 2007, 17:41
Not really...

The schedule will be complied weeks in advance. If as they say, they are still negotiating - just how long does it take - then they can't add something to the schedule they don't know they have.

Hope youre right but one thing for certain is theres going to be some very annoyed and disapointed sports fans this weekend,whether its nascar or NHL fans!!

cgs
6th February 2007, 18:07
last year they left a TBA covering the potential NASCAR slot. as it drew closer, they put in a replay of a previous football game then when they finally annouced they had the deal for the year, they relpaced it with NASCAR

cjhill2002
6th February 2007, 19:29
I have read on the MotorsTV forum and someone said the word is there will be a very late deal secured on Thursday.

jeffmr2
6th February 2007, 20:07
I phoned NASN and was given the same vague "still in negotiations and there will be an announcement by the end of the week" response. The operator at NASN told me they have received loads of similar enquiries today,so at least they can see how much interest there is in nascar coverage.

user1000
6th February 2007, 20:15
One of those "similar enquiries" was mine sent today via email. I wondered whether when they said "in negotiations with NASCAR regarding coverage for the upcoming season" they could possibly only be negotiating to show the last half of season, i.e. they might already know it wont run from Sunday. So I emailed the following:

"Please let me know if you wont be showing Nascar from the start of the season, so that I can cancel my subscription."

and I got the standard response:

"In response to your query, I can only confirm that NASN are in negotiations with NASCAR at present regarding this years coverage and we expect to make an announcement regarding NASCAR coverage for the upcoming season very soon.

I can assure you that NASN will constantly strive to bring you the very best shows featuring news, views, highlights and analysis available, however, w e have no confirmation as yet regarding future programming, as a result of the recent announcement about ESPN acquiring NASN, although NASN will still remain part of the Setanta Sports Package, there is currently no further information available at this time. All future updates regarding our programming will be announced via our website, Please continue to visit http://www.nasn.com for all the latest news, updates and announcements which are released on our website in the first instance, as soon as they are available."

gary_580
6th February 2007, 22:38
Hope youre right but one thing for certain is theres going to be some very annoyed and disapointed sports fans this weekend,whether its nascar or NHL fans!!

You assume that Nascar will be on NASN. As the ESPN deal hasnt gone through yet it could well appear on another Setanta channel (if it appears at all)

pwb
7th February 2007, 21:26
You assume that Nascar will be on NASN. As the ESPN deal hasnt gone through yet it could well appear on another Setanta channel (if it appears at all)

Well as it will not be on NASN 1, then it would have to be on one of the other Setanta channels.

gary_580
8th February 2007, 00:53
Well as it will not be on NASN 1, then it would have to be on one of the other Setanta channels.

You assume

bmw fan
8th February 2007, 14:54
Just spoke to setanta Nascar IS being shown it is on Rangers tv this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LessThanSte
8th February 2007, 14:59
sure?

bmw fan
8th February 2007, 15:01
called 5 mins ago yes but gonna check again

LessThanSte
8th February 2007, 15:04
hmm, i just rang them, still saying no comment and that they are hoping to put out something tomorrow!

bmw fan
8th February 2007, 15:16
just denied it now but, "an announcement to be made tomorrow or sat" superviser took call away from original operator saying "wrong information was given" and "hands are tied till announcement" so looking good!!!!!!!!!!

71minus2
8th February 2007, 15:22
Whether its just coincidence or not the RangersTV website has no information for Saturday or Sunday but a full schedule for the days either side of the weekend.

Also, and i hope someone can clarify this, on the NASN region selection page prior to entering the main site is says NASCAR Nextel Cup which i am sure wasn't there yesterday.

If NASCAR is on then great, shame i'm away this weekend and unable to watch! Bloody typical.

Richard.

user1000
8th February 2007, 15:23
Nice one, fingers crossed.

Dave17
8th February 2007, 15:55
Is'nt the shoot out at night and does'nt Rangers TV stop at midnight.......?

cgs
8th February 2007, 16:12
i think the bud shootout is due to begin at 8:30ET, so 1:30am UK time

cjhill2002
8th February 2007, 17:39
Just spoke to Setanta myself and got 'no more information to hand, check the website'

Said there would be an announcement 2moro

eastlmark
8th February 2007, 18:07
I am jumping the gun somewhat but, if this is the case, who should I sign up with. NTL or SKY? I have both but will never forget the debacle at the end of last season.

althepodracer
8th February 2007, 20:04
I hope they dont make me angry...they wouldnt like me when Im angry! :)

JovialJooles
8th February 2007, 21:17
I am jumping the gun somewhat but, if this is the case, who should I sign up with. NTL or SKY? I have both but will never forget the debacle at the end of last season.

It shouldn't make any difference.

VirginMedia (NTL) have changed the package. You can no longer buy the seperate Setanta packages. The only option is the Setanta Sport package which is £15.00.

Mind you, if you do opt for SKY, it would appear your £15.00 buys you more channels!

JovialJooles
8th February 2007, 21:19
I hope they dont make me angry...they wouldnt like me when Im angry! :)

Given their performance last year, it would surprise me if they didn't announce anything and just put it on Rangers TV without anyone knowing...

gary_580
9th February 2007, 14:39
Is'nt the shoot out at night and does'nt Rangers TV stop at midnight.......?

yes and yes. They missed the end of 2 chase races last season and one complete race because of this issue

user1000
9th February 2007, 15:37
No announcement today then?

sjrixon
9th February 2007, 15:41
Come on.. I want Nascar..

This is sad.. They have 'sold' it to people who can't buy it!

Old Stock Nut
9th February 2007, 16:31
I know it is only grasping at straws, but don't forget the 5 hour delay to EST.

I think I will dust off the TVU again to get Fox on it just in case!

JovialJooles
9th February 2007, 16:59
I know it is only grasping at straws, but don't forget the 5 hour delay to EST.

Yes, Fox is still there.

I can't believe they have not made an anouncement yet! :eek: It just shows what contempt they have for their customers...

cjhill2002
9th February 2007, 17:28
this is disgusting!

i was told last night to expect an announcement today, there still is no sign of this at 5pm, which means its unlikely we will know before 2moro now!

user1000
9th February 2007, 17:57
I'm at work, anyone want to phone them, see if they let anything slip?

Matt_G850
9th February 2007, 18:11
I just phoned them. Got the same 'Please check the website. Will be updated before were are..' speel that I have had every day this week...

pwb
9th February 2007, 18:15
Yes, Fox is still there.

I can't believe they have not made an anouncement yet! :eek: It just shows what contempt they have for their customers...

and what contempt NASCAR have for their fans more likely as we know NASN want it!

cjhill2002
9th February 2007, 18:16
if they keep us hanging this long and then turn round and tell us they're not showing it, i will be MAD!!!

Disgraceful customer service

user1000
9th February 2007, 18:16
Have they said they will tell us before the season starts? They can easily change "upcoming" to "current" on the nascar page, and this thing could roll on all year.

gary_580
9th February 2007, 18:38
The fact that last year they put it on a channel that doesnt transmit after midnight, then didnt care about people complaining do you really expect them to be organised and concerned about telling people what is going on??

My guess is that this weekend will pass with nothing announced at all

user1000
9th February 2007, 18:47
My guess is that this weekend will pass with nothing announced at all

In which case I will cancel Setanta on Monday.

Dave17
9th February 2007, 18:52

Shootout 1am Sunday morning, Daytona qualifying 19.00-22.00 Sunday night. Worth downloading TVU even if NASN come up with the goods.

Viidoo has a larger picture.

user1000
9th February 2007, 18:54
What is a TVU?

gary_580
9th February 2007, 19:06
http://www.tvunetworks.com/

pwb
9th February 2007, 19:18
In which case I will cancel Setanta on Monday.

and then what if they get the whole Nextel Cup season, which is what we (well I) really want.

Don't forget this is almost certainly waiting for the ESPN takeover to be signed off. NASN can almost certainly not enter into any transaction until the ESPN purchase is completed.

Dave17
9th February 2007, 19:52
More on TVU....

ESPN2
Tonight

22:00 NASCAR Drivers Non-Stop

23:00 NASCAR Now (until 23.30)

Sunday

15:00 Michael Waltrip Racing: A New Era (until 16.00)

Also some drag racing at various times.

BobGarage
9th February 2007, 19:58
how do i view espn2 on tvu?

i've downloaded the software but i can't see it listed in the channels list.

Abo
9th February 2007, 20:38
Sod NASN. I cancelled my subscription at the end of last season since I'd been with them for a couple of years. Mainly to save a few quid since it was never certain they'd be showing NASCAR this season.

Since they can't get their arses in gear I definately won't be resubscribing, and will be watching by other means.

user1000
9th February 2007, 20:52
Can you see all the races over this TVU?

What's the quality like?

Dave17
9th February 2007, 21:27
how do i view espn2 on tvu?

i've downloaded the software but i can't see it listed in the channels list.

My bad. I was looking on the TV guide on Viidoo which has ESPN but TVU does not carry it.

Old Stock Nut
9th February 2007, 21:32
The quality is watchable but clearly not as good as a real TV. Problem is that real TV is blank at the mo for us!!

TVU is a Peer-2-Peer system and relies on someone broacasting the stream. As far as we are concerned, the main regular of use is Fox. They will be showing the Shootout on Saturday evening. They will not be showing the Twins races on Thursday because that is going to be broadcast on Speed and I have not seen that streamed on TVU yet. And they stop doing it altogether from the Pepsi in the summer - if I remember correctly, it goes over to ESPN then.

One alternative for the races when they are live, is to pay for one of the NASCAR.com packages. I have had PitCommand for a while now and I have found it easier to follow the race on that than on TV. The new one (RaceView) seems to be even better and is promising to have a virtual reality system driven by race telemetry that may well be able to give a reasonable picture of the race in real time. I gather that it is on a two week trial at the moment, so you could always give it a try for the Twins races since the first one is on at around 7pm on Thursday.

gary_580
9th February 2007, 21:51
ESPN is on SOPCAST but cant see ESPN2

Dave17
9th February 2007, 21:52
If your really desperate theres always radio....MRN cover Daytona and others. PRN cover the rest.

http://www.racingone.com/mrn_home.aspx

Dave17
9th February 2007, 22:04
ESPN is on SOPCAST but cant see ESPN2

NASCAR is on ESPN2 though, not carried by SOPCAST

LessThanSte
9th February 2007, 23:54
You cant get MRN though, unless you have trackpass.

Or can you?

Actually, yes you can :)

Radio Colorado Network carries commentary, from either MRN or PRN and broadcasts it on the net, as well as throughout colorado. I suspect that it isnt meant to be listened to from the UK, but it works none the less.

Downside is you have to sit through their adverts!

http://www.radiocoloradonetwork.com/ click Listen Live

eastlmark
10th February 2007, 08:43
I used to always listen to MRN or PRn back in the, seemingly returning dark ages, and enjoyed the coverage. Then NASCAR licensed it and we had to start paying. Thanks for that link, lessthantste, will give it a try.

ascarmarshal
10th February 2007, 11:15
I have just phoned NASN and they say (cough) they should find out today about NASCAR. I won't be holding my breath

sjrixon
10th February 2007, 11:16
Let's have hope people...

Dave17
10th February 2007, 12:11
Radio Colorado Network carries commentary, from either MRN or PRN and broadcasts it on the net, as well as throughout colorado. I suspect that it isnt meant to be listened to from the UK, but it works none the less.

So do a lot of stations, just pick one....

http://www.racingone.com/stations.aspx

I know for a fact (well 1998 fact) that WNDB and WKRO in Daytona Beach do as i've listened to the twins when I was over there.

LessThanSte
10th February 2007, 14:37
Yes, but most stations in the US dont have internet broadcasting, theres a law passed a few years back that makes it very expensive for radio stations to do it, and most therefore dont bother!

Radio Colorado are, as far as im aware, one of the only ones that do an internet broadcast!

Dave17
10th February 2007, 15:16
Yes, but most stations in the US dont have internet broadcasting, theres a law passed a few years back that makes it very expensive for radio stations to do it, and most therefore dont bother!

Radio Colorado are, as far as im aware, one of the only ones that do an internet broadcast!

Four of the first 10 on that page (without digging too far on their homepages)have web feed so I think you may be wrong there!

Maybe the best one to go to would be WKRO-FM Daytona Beach http://www.wkro.fm/ being a local station.

LessThanSte
10th February 2007, 17:35
Hm, well, that used to be the case. Thats the same reason why a lot of US stations dont have radio feeds, or havnt in the past. Pehrpas that law has changed now, i dont know!

Jamie Brown
10th February 2007, 22:34
come on i am getting so mad with NASN it is untrue how long does it take?????!!!!!?????!!!!!!

BobGarage
11th February 2007, 10:50
theres a rumour going round another forum that eurosport are trying to take cup coverage at the last minute from under nasn's nose.

jonv
11th February 2007, 11:36
theres a rumour going round another forum that eurosport are trying to take cup coverage at the last minute from under nasn's nose.

Better than nothing I suppose but Eurosports coverage of Champ Car has not been wonderful in the last few years.
Would be cheaper on Eurosport and might help gain a few more fans.
First showing of last nights race is 1:50am Tuesday on Five.

althepodracer
11th February 2007, 11:56
Just spoke to customer services...the lady said that whilst they are still in negotiations they will be covering some races, she didnt know how many when I asked, but she was giving the impression that it would be the same deal as last year

I did point out that the season started last night, and she said that someone had made them aware of that(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and by friday the deal should be in place

Keep checking the website!!

gary_580
11th February 2007, 11:57
Just spoke to customer services...the lady said that whilst they are still in negotiations they will be covering some races, she didnt know how many when I asked, but she was giving the impression that it would be the same deal as last year

I did point out that the season started last night, and she said that someone had made them aware of that(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and by friday the deal should be in place

Keep checking the website!!

What a load of rubbish, they cant show a single race if they dont have the rights to. If they pay for the rights to show races they will show them all.

cgs
11th February 2007, 12:04
unless its an inturum deal (if thats spelt right) that allowes them to show a few races before a proper deal can be raeched?

Dave17
11th February 2007, 13:21
Watched the shootout on TVU last night. Good quality on a 7"x6" screen and hardly any freezes. They WILL be showing the 500 next week on Fox (Ch 10011).
If you do download TVU, watch the coverage on Viidoo (just type in the channel number from TVU) its a slightly bigger screen.

nb. You can't watch it on Viidoo if you hav'nt downloaded TVU.

Wheels (channel 53060) cover some Speed programs so they may have the twins on...its a bit slow though.

cgs
11th February 2007, 15:07
TVU worked fine for me last night. no freezes what-so-ever. gonna watch qualifying on it later today :D

btw, you can resize the windoe ot get a bigger screen, or you can watch it full screen

Forum Buddy
11th February 2007, 15:15
I to watch over the TVU Player. Not bad at all.

I've now tried a recorder as well for night or times I am not able to be watching.

Download VideoLAN and it allows for recording after selecting the channel from TVU Player. No timer though.

Download from http://www.videolan.org/

Worked for me today.

I'll enjoy Nascar this way as long as TVU Player stays online.

Forum Buddy

eastlmark
11th February 2007, 15:38
I only accidently found the full screen mode last night by clicking on the picture itself. http://dot.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

jeffmr2
11th February 2007, 15:47
I watched the shootout on TVU as well,the picture quality was great but during the broadcast my computer froze 4 or 5 times.Think thats my computer tho its acting a bit cranky today as well.

JovialJooles
11th February 2007, 16:16
Watched the shootout on TVU last night. Good quality on a 7"x6" screen and hardly any freezes. They WILL be showing the 500 next week on Fox (Ch 10011).
If you do download TVU, watch the coverage on Viidoo (just type in the channel number from TVU) its a slightly bigger screen.

nb. You can't watch it on Viidoo if you hav'nt downloaded TVU.

Wheels (channel 53060) cover some Speed programs so they may have the twins on...its a bit slow though.

I taped it, and it worked! I used P2P TV Recorder - just like using a video. The file size wasn't bad either, 330MB.

http://www.pprecorder.com/index.htm

Forum Buddy
11th February 2007, 17:40
Thanks JovialJooles, your recorder is much better, than the one I used (VideoLAN), as yours has time recorder start and finish.
That's just what I was looking for.

Saves the late night waiting to start recorder using this one you have put up.

I am a little upset there no ESPN2 ON TVU, so no Busch recording for me, and no MotorsTV coverage, very poor on their behalf.

Thanks again JovialJooles.

Francis
Forum Buddy

JDPower
11th February 2007, 17:55
I am a little upset there no ESPN2 ON TVU, so no Busch recording for me, and no MotorsTV coverage
So is there no live Busch coverage on the net then?

gpax
11th February 2007, 21:37
hello all,is there a charge for TVU

SteveA
11th February 2007, 22:01
hello all,is there a charge for TVU

Most of these services are not bona fide, make sure your security software is up to date before you download any "Players".

Abo
12th February 2007, 08:10
So is there no live Busch coverage on the net then?

Looks like it'll have to be 'as live' via torrents...

JovialJooles
12th February 2007, 10:09
I keep forgetting to post this.

As of this season, NASCAR have now made the videos on their website free to view.

http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/

Julian

althepodracer
12th February 2007, 12:26
Nice find fella

Jamie Brown
12th February 2007, 14:00
the videos dont work for me it just shows a short nascar advert

jeffmr2
12th February 2007, 15:23
Another usefull website for video clips is

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar

Jamie Brown
12th February 2007, 16:37
nice finds jeff and julian :)

jonv
13th February 2007, 08:33
Just watched recording of fives coverage of the Shootout. They had a message scrolling across the bottom of the screen stating that they will be covering the whole of the Daytona 500 on Sunday 18th! :)

gary_580
13th February 2007, 09:03
Just watched recording of fives coverage of the Shootout. They had a message scrolling across the bottom of the screen stating that they will be covering the whole of the Daytona 500 on Sunday 18th! :)

Is that on Channel 5 or 5 US and did it mention it being live?

I recorded the coverage of the bud shootout on Five US on Cable and all i got was some crappy quiz programme grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 09:15
I've just watched the highlights too and saw the message, it didn't say the coverage would be live but just to watch out for full coverage of the Daytona 500 on five on Sunday the 18th, it could well be live :)

This must be a very late deal as the EPG for five on Sunday only has various Batman movies showing, nothing listed on Five US either for the 500.

Abo
13th February 2007, 09:47
Nothing on their own programme guides yet either. Be awesome if they're showing it live. Would explain the quiet from NASN too.

gary_580
13th February 2007, 09:53
Are we talking Channel 5 or 5 US???

jonv
13th February 2007, 10:04
Is that on Channel 5 or 5 US and did it mention it being live?

I recorded the coverage of the bud shootout on Five US on Cable and all i got was some crappy quiz programme grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The shootout was on normal five. I think it is show later in the week on Five US.

gary_580
13th February 2007, 10:07
The shootout was on normal five. I think it is show later in the week on Five US.

was supposed to be this morning at 1:50

gary_580
13th February 2007, 10:16
On the viewers forum over on the Five site it says that they do not have the rights to show the races live or complete

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 10:59
clicky below to see what they said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDzGwqV6mc

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 11:10
was supposed to be this morning at 1:50

It was on Five this morning at 01.50 - 02:40

uskram
13th February 2007, 11:13
Just spoke to a very helpful lad at 5 tv and he's said that they were told this morning, that they are broadcasting delayed coverage starting at 12.10 am Monday morning (just after midnight Sunday) Ye-hah!

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 11:16
I've just watched the highlights too and saw the message, it didn't say the coverage would be live but just to watch out for full coverage of the Daytona 500 on five on Sunday the 18th, it could well be live :)

This must be a very late deal as the EPG for five on Sunday only has various Batman movies showing, nothing listed on Five US either for the 500.

oooooooooooooooh! :)

cgs
13th February 2007, 11:53
has anyone phoned NASN for a comment?

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 11:58
I think most people will be ringing them to cancel their sub, it's a shame, but maybe they deserve it after the shoddy customer service they have shown over the last couple of years.

cgs
13th February 2007, 12:04
but do we know if its just for the daytona 500 or the full season?

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 12:13
I wouldn't subscribe to them if it were only part season coverage, I hope five get the rights for the full season and at the very least show it on a delay basis with maybe some live races possibly on their Five US channel.

gary_580
13th February 2007, 12:27
i'd sooner watch it live on TVU than watch it delayed

acorn
13th February 2007, 12:33
i SOOOOOOOOOOO hope that 5 gets the rights to the whole season. they should be able to show whole races either live or delayed( my preference particularly if races are rained off or rain delayed or its a night race) on either normal terrestrial 5 or 5 US.

quick survey:
what is your preferred option(live or delayed(shown at what time?), whole or highlights and channel) and why? are you able to record(eg vcr, dvd or sky+)?

mbynwa
13th February 2007, 12:38
i think it would be great as well if 5ive can get at least delayed coverage of the whole race, all season long!!!!!

quick survey:
what is your preferred option(live or delayed(shown at what time?), whole or highlights and channel) and why? are you able to record(eg vcr, dvd or sky+)?

I prefer to watch it live, but as most races start at least 7pm uk time, as i work early i cannot watch all the race, so i end up sky+ the rest of the race, so delayed coverage is fine for me :) I certainly do not like watching just highlights, personally that is the worst way of watching NASCAR

For the Bud shootouts, i downloaded them, then watched them on the sunday. Which i was going to do for the Daytona 500, but now 5ive are showing the whole race, then im there :)

cgs
13th February 2007, 12:42
i can't see five showing a live race in primtime. NASCAR isn't that popular in the UK so the loss in viewers for that slot would be far to much for them to justify it. it would work on five US though, but not on five.

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 12:52
I agree that it probably isn't viable for five to show every race live, delayed coverage and highlights is probably what they may go for.

My guess is that they have bought the rights for the Daytona 500 only with an option to buy more depending on how well it performs for them, if it's acceptable my guess is that they may buy the whole season and show the races delayed on five and some races live on Five US with highlight packages still in the current or similar slots.

acorn
13th February 2007, 12:53
here's my preferred options and reasons

1. delayed- because it would be antisocial to trot of to another room and leave the other half on her ownsome. besides i quite like some of the other programmes that are on when the daytime races are shown here ie our peak time and i'd probably fall asleep during the night races. also rain delays or cancellations won't be a problem. and also see point 3

2. air time - not really worried but early morning would be best because i'm unlikely to be recording anything else then.

3. vcr for terrestrial and sky+ so i can currently watch a terrestrial, record a terrestrial and sky+ 2 digital channels.

4. as our own racing season approaches getting home in time to watch live showings gets a bit tight so again delayed or recorded are my options.

5. channel? not bothered as long as their broadcasts are consistent and use the american commentary teams.

gary_580
13th February 2007, 13:18
Live on any channel would be fine by me

user1000
13th February 2007, 13:28
I guess if no announcement from NASN by the end of this week, we should cancel?

dilbertfan
13th February 2007, 13:57
I keep forgetting to post this.

As of this season, NASCAR have now made the videos on their website free to view.

http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/

Julian

Is this going to be the case all the time now? Last year (and possibly the year before but I'm not certain of that) they made Trackpass free for Speedweeks - which included their video archive. On the day of the 500 it went back to subscribers only.

df

pwb
13th February 2007, 14:04
I guess if no announcement from NASN by the end of this week, we should cancel?

Unless of course, like me, you love NHL, Baseball, College BasketBall, College Football and whatever else ESPN are going to push our way. :)

user1000
13th February 2007, 14:13
Unless of course, like me, you love NHL, Baseball, College BasketBall, College Football and whatever else ESPN are going to push our way. :)

I only subscribed for Nascar.

Old Stock Nut
13th February 2007, 15:34
Not confirmed yet, but the Channel Five web site has someone saying that they are going to show delayed coverage of the 500 late on Sunday night. Schedule changes out soon. It will appear on : http://www.five.tv/tvguide/ when they make it formal.

If it does appear on Ch5 during the night, I suggest we give them a big wedge of support emails to make sure they know we appreciate the coverage.

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 16:03
If it does appear on Ch5 during the night, I suggest we give them a big wedge of support emails to make sure they know we appreciate the coverage.

Very good idea. :)

Of course, if this is what is happening this year, ie. Free to air coverage on a short delay, I will be happy with this.

It does seem very odd behaviour by Setanta. They obviously don't care about building a strong, loyal, customer base. Pretty short sighted in this multi channel age.

MrkyMrk
13th February 2007, 16:24
From Five:

NASCAR Nextel Cup (Motoring)
Time - 01:50 - 02:40 (50 minutes long)
When - Tuesday 20th February on five
The return of NASCAR to Five. The NEXTEL Cup 2007 begins with the first round from the Daytona International Speedway.

But then I'm late into the thread and with poor "netiquette" didn't read though it all so probably old news...

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 17:33
Is this going to be the case all the time now? Last year (and possibly the year before but I'm not certain of that) they made Trackpass free for Speedweeks - which included their video archive. On the day of the 500 it went back to subscribers only.

df

The videos are not part of Trackpass anymore, that's why they are free.

I suspect it is all linked in with the new TV Rights that came into effect with the 2007 season.

Julian

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 17:34

Especially for Mark! :D

ghostdancing
13th February 2007, 18:01
Hi, first chance I have had to contribute to this thread, but have been reading it the last few weeks.

I cancelled my NASN subscription this Monday, because they will not be showing NASCAR for 2007. Like everyone else I phone NASN a few times last week and was told there was going to be a decision on the website on Thursday night, but nothing, then a decision on Friday night but nothing.

Having been basically lied to during the course of last week, I decided out of principle to cancel my NASN subscription, was kept on hold for over ten minutes, and then told I would be charged a 30 day cancellation fee.

Just like to take this oppotunity to thank everyone on this thread who pointed us in the direction of the TVU viewer. I watched the Bud ShootOut on a 21" TFT, and sitting at the right angle in a darken dinning room, the quality wasn't to bad compared to the low res signal NASN have inflicted on us over the last three years. I also used a P2P recorder and recorded the whole thing, around 320mb.

Great news about FiveUS, the Buds and Potato Chips are already in, and my wireless headphones all charged up, so I wont be waking up the family at midnight.

Sorry if this is a long post, but been aching to participate for weeks.
Wasn't it just great to hear Darrell say those words, and see the pack coming steaming off turn two, tears welled up in my eyes.

JovialJooles
13th February 2007, 18:19
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity! :D

user1000
13th February 2007, 18:34
I'm going to cancel next Monday I think, see what happens before then.

It may be that Nascar want more cash than NASN/ESPN want to pay for the live rights, and that is the impasse?

Allowing Five to show this one race delayed would fit that idea.

dilbertfan
13th February 2007, 18:43
The videos are not part of Trackpass anymore, that's why they are free.

I suspect it is all linked in with the new TV Rights that came into effect with the 2007 season.

Julian

I do hope so as the video archives are quite interesting. I will never be able to watch the Darlington 2003 finish too many times :)

Trackpass is free till Sunday, including that new "3D" wotsit for the Duels, worth a look to see what it's like. I do wonder how well it will work when things go wrong, like in a crash say. I hope each car has multiple transponders, then they can work out the orientation/attitude of the cars. Just thinking of the wayward Foxtracks (or whatever they call it?) that sometimes place cars in the infield or the stands lol

df

dilbertfan
13th February 2007, 18:59
I'm going to cancel next Monday I think, see what happens before then.

It may be that Nascar want more cash than NASN/ESPN want to pay for the live rights, and that is the impasse?

Allowing Five to show this one race delayed would fit that idea.

No, ESPN already have the international syndication rights for it. NASCAR can't be pushing for more money in that respect as the deal is already done and has been for ages, it was signed early last year I think.

The problem is that ESPN are trying to take over NASN so they probably don't want to sell Setanta the UK rights because presumably if they did and then the deal was approved with NASN then ESPN's NASN (or whatever they happened to call it) would then not be able to show it.

I'm guessing that the whole five deal is a rushed deal to keep fans moderatly happy until the "regulatory approval" is given. ESPN get the race shown in the UK - to a wider audience than would have been available if it were NASN only - and five come out like knights in shining armour - assuming it does actually make it onto five. I would guess that if the ESPN/NASN deal goes ahead then five will revert back to highlights only.

df

user1000
13th February 2007, 19:19
Thanks for explaining, now I see what the issue is. Why can't NASN tell us this info? If this is all there is to it, they are shooting themselves in the foot by saying as little as possible.

I cant find out any info on the regulatory approval - i.e. which regulator?

dilbertfan
13th February 2007, 19:27
I don't know which regulator for sure, seeing as it is a European channel. I would guess Ofcom were involved to an extent, but I've been keeping a close eye on the Ofcom site for a few weeks now and there is nothing on there about it. However, I don't know how much information they publish about cases like this before approval is given. It may be that it just gets an entry in one of their bulletins saying that the license has been transferred?

df

jeffmr2
13th February 2007, 20:03
This is such great news.As long as channel 5 show full coverage of the daytona 500 it will be awesome,whether its live or time delayed.
Any news at present if its a 1 off deal or full seasons coverage?
I havent cancelled my NASN subscription yet,i'll probably wait untill end of march (after the chletenham festival as i enjoy watching the racing uk channel).Maybe by then they will have sorted out a deal as well.

indy13
13th February 2007, 20:13
hi there - much like 'ghostdancing' earlier I have been reading for sometime and only now felt like piping up and saying something - similarly thanks to the information gained in this thread - I was able to watch the bud shootout on TVU and was pretty happy all things being equal - no its not the tele but hey I could do other stuff on the pc during the ad breaks!
I'm also a subscriber to NASN and whilst I havent yet cancelled I will be doing so if they have no coverage.
I will also be refusing to pay the 30 days notice period and cancelling there and then - I offered them a normal cancellation last week if they could give me some answers during there well documented stalling tactics - now I'll treat them as they have treated me - no notice period
If I had known they would not have had coverage (like many of you) I would've cancelled back in November!
Its disgraceful that they cant just include the sort of information discussed on this thread regarding ESPN and international rights along with OFCOM decisions etc.
Anyway nuff waffle thx guys for everything - I hope to contribute more in the future
fingers crossed for the channel 5 coverage

user1000
13th February 2007, 20:22
ESPN said in December they expected regulatory approval to be given, and the deal to be completed, in Spring 2007 (or they may have said first quarter). So waiting to end of March before cancelling may be a good thing, unless you want to cancel and sign back up, which may be cheaper (?).

Dave17
13th February 2007, 21:13
The thing is, we don't know just how hard NASN are trying, whether what Fox are asking is beyond their budget or if there are any stumbling blocks along the way.
Its very easy to critisize but I think they really do know just how important getting NASCAR is for their veiwing figures and I for one would sooner give them the benefit of doubt that they are doing their best.
I seem to remember a couple of years ago that the first televised race was from Lowes.
I will wait until after the NHL playoffs before cancelling I think.

user1000
13th February 2007, 21:43
I will wait until after the NHL playoffs before cancelling I think.

When is that?

Abo
13th February 2007, 22:19
I seem to remember a couple of years ago that the first televised race was from Lowes.

When was that, 2002? I remember seeing it announced (on here, I think) that they would be carrying NASCAR for the 2003 season and signed up when I saw it confirmed by NASN.

Abo
13th February 2007, 22:30
Guys, just found this on TVU: If you're looking for Speed channel, check out channel 53060 Wheels, they're showing Speed right now; hopefully they will when the stuff we want to watch is on...

shark17
13th February 2007, 22:51
Those of u in doubt about NASN/Setanta's attitude might be interested in the response I got this morning to an e-mail entitled 'NASCAR?' that I sent to NASN 'Customer Service' (ahem) yesterday asking for news...

"Your message

To: [email:198vi55d]Matthew.Collier@nasn.com[/email:198vi55d]

was deleted without being read on Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:46:47 -0000"

...luckily I cancelled last year! ;)

althepodracer
13th February 2007, 23:33
I am four months into my setanta sub, if they aint got nascar then as far as I am concerned they are in breach of contract and I will cancel my direct debit. They can do what they want after that

indy13
14th February 2007, 00:34
I have no problem per se with NASN if they have genuinely lost NASCAR coverage - yeah of course I'm selfish I hope they get it - i'll be gutted if they don't but I won't hold it against them - I didn't hold it against the BBC when ITV beat them in a bidding war for F1 - thats just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes
for me this is about how they have handled there customers throughout this whole affair - If there was a statement even just saying something along the lines of :
"we're in negotiations with ESPN/SETANTA
Due to their imminent takeover etc being reviewed by regulators etc Because ESPN have the international rights etc etc
30% etc of our viewers we estimate are NASCAR fans and we do not take this lightly
the following scenarios are possible: In order of NASN's preference
1) We get coverage for sunday
2) We get coverage from March 1st/April 1st for example
3) We get coverage once NASN = ESPN - estimated to be .....
4) We definitely have coverage from Brickyard 400 - ESPN begin US coverage
5) It is unlikely we will have any coverage."

Now I realise a lot of that is presumptious and wild but just a bit of detail in the format of one or two of those sentences would have appeased me substantially more.
Anything either/or over the phone/on the website would be better than the way they are handling it at present.
The thing is at the moment it is certain they must know more than they are saying which itself implies they could be hiding something, which implies that it could be they have lost coverage rights and are blagging us all for as long as we will fall for it.
I hope I'm wrong but companies have done far worse!
Come to think of it I've had nothing but problems ever since Setanta took over NASN - wrong subscription charges, bad programming errors - you name it they've messed it up over the last few months.
Thats why I can't help but have a negative/pessimistic view of Setanta right now

Abo
14th February 2007, 09:01
On a related TVU note, can someone help me out here... I've installed TVU on my machine, and it plays great on the PC monitor. But when I plug it into the TV (S-Video out on graphics card, to SCART adapter, or directly to S-Video in on my DVD recorder) I get the picture sharply enough but in black and white.

Any geniuses here know what I'm doing wrong?

SteveA
14th February 2007, 09:56
Your PC is outputting NTSC and your TV doesn't support it... ?

Abo
14th February 2007, 10:09
Nah, it accepts NTSC, but I've found the problem; ATI catalyst software was having a bit of an attack but I've fixed it now..
However, I've got a new problem... If I play a downloaded movie file e.g. the Bud Shootout from the other day, it will play fine on the TV. However, if I try and watch a TVU channel, I get the TVU player interface but not the video. I can see the video playing on my monitor but I just get a blank box on the TV with the channel list etc. etc. as normal. Same if I go full screen; works fine on the monitor but just a blank screen with the interface on the TV. Strange...

cgs
14th February 2007, 10:53
its posibly because the graphics card works streaming video differently to videos on your hard drive. i've no idea how to fix that.

pentti
14th February 2007, 11:04
Just saw in my sky+ programer: Daytona 500 on 00.10-03.00 early monday morning.Good news.

Abo
14th February 2007, 11:24
its posibly because the graphics card works streaming video differently to videos on your hard drive. i've no idea how to fix that.

It's a weird one. Stuff streamed on Youtube for example plays on the TV fine. I can force the TVU picture to play in Windows Media Player by doing File->Open URL in WMP and entering http://localhost:8901 as the URL, but I think it loses a little quality...

SteveA
14th February 2007, 11:30
I've seen a situation on my laptop where the video window (even MS Media Player) is blank on the TV, but showing the video on the LCD panel. If I close the lid, or select output to TV only, then I get the video on the TV.

Its something to do with the way the screen is addressed for video playback. You'll probably also find that if you try to grab a frame using Print-Screen, the capture will have no image in it!

cgs
14th February 2007, 12:08
try using VLC player.

JovialJooles
14th February 2007, 12:33
This is funny.

I've just been doing some digging around trying to find out where we are with NASN & ESPN etc etc.

I went on to the DigtalSpt forum, and the last post there has a link to our thread here, saying this is where the conversation is at! :D

Talk about O/T. We've got people from a TV forum finding out the latest news on the SCSA forum. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

JovialJooles
14th February 2007, 12:36
Wearing my moderator hat...

This thread is already O/T. ;)

Please don't lets turn it into a thread about streaming video. If you want to talk about streaming, I'll move the relevant posts to the Chit Chat board and you can continue there. :)

Let me know.

Julian

JovialJooles
14th February 2007, 12:38
Just saw in my sky+ programer: Daytona 500 on 00.10-03.00 early monday morning.Good news.

Boogity Boogity Boogity; Let's Go Racing Boys.

Rocsta
14th February 2007, 12:39
Not quite, that thread is the one in the NASCAR forum, we ain't that famous yet

JovialJooles
14th February 2007, 12:48
Just sent an email to ESPN.

Let's see if we get anywhere with that route.

JovialJooles
14th February 2007, 12:48
Not quite, that thread is the one in the NASCAR forum, we ain't that famous yet

Doh!

JTK
14th February 2007, 13:08
Excellent news re C5 coverage of Daytona 500, will Sky + and watch at more convenient time. Do we yet know if they will bring us delayed coverage of all this seasons races?

I subscribed to NASN a few years back now essentially for NASCAR coverage and although it is now part of wider Setanta package and from next season will have 46 Premiership games, am so cheesed off about how they have messed about re NASCAR coverage, am tempted to cancel my subscription. BUT will wait to see what happens once ESPN take over NASN. Can we possibly expect NASCAR Busch, Champ Car and IRL on it? as I understand they have international rights to these as well or are Champ Car on Eurosport and IRL on Sky as per '06?

cjhill2002
14th February 2007, 13:31
Just read MN who say...

Digital Channel NASN's Live coverage deal will not be signed until later in the season because Disney's purchase of the station has delayed the negotiations.

cgs
14th February 2007, 13:32
lovely....

cjhill2002
14th February 2007, 13:49
and once more....

it appears FOX has gone from TVU

Abo
14th February 2007, 13:58
and once more....

it appears FOX has gone from TVU

Yeah I just noticed that. I'd just got my PC/TV hook-up working properly too. The people at TVU must hape pulled the channel to spite me lol

user1000
14th February 2007, 14:19
Just read MN who say...

Digital Channel NASN's Live coverage deal will not be signed until later in the season because Disney's purchase of the station has delayed the negotiations.

Link? Or is that a magazine?

dilbertfan
14th February 2007, 14:49
Yeah I just noticed that. I'd just got my PC/TV hook-up working properly too. The people at TVU must hape pulled the channel to spite me lol

Having never used TVU before I may be talking a load of rubbish here...but...

From what I can gather TVU is not broadcasting anything. TVU is a P2P app, it merely enables people to share information, in this case TV broadcasts. So, you get users that "broadcast" TV channels and users that receive them. Think file-sharing but with streaming media instead.

Therefore, if the user that was "broadcasting" stops then obviously there is nothing to receive.

This is just my interpretation of what is happening based on what I've read recently, like I say it may be a load of rubbish :)

df

earnhardt8
14th February 2007, 14:58
Channel 5 now says the daytona 500 to be shown at 00.10monday morning for 3 hours.Yipeeeee.

cgs
14th February 2007, 15:15
the five TV guide has now been updated

NASCAR Nextel Cup (Motoring)
Time - 00:10 - 03:10 (3 hours long)
When - Monday 19th February on five
NASCAR on Five with all the action from one of the most famous races in motorsport. The Daytona 500 is a legendary race that has it roots back in the days of Prohibition, when moonshine runners raced their cars on the Daytona beach. It is actually a form of stock car racing where drivers can legally shunt each other out of the way at speeds of 150mph plus. It is now the most popular motorsport in America and is shown in 150 countries worldwide, with the most technologically advanced race coverage on the planet. Jonathan Green presents the race, the drivers, the pageantry and all the drama from Florida.

Abo
14th February 2007, 15:16
Having never used TVU before I may be talking a load of rubbish here...but...

From what I can gather TVU is not broadcasting anything. TVU is a P2P app, it merely enables people to share information, in this case TV broadcasts. So, you get users that "broadcast" TV channels and users that receive them. Think file-sharing but with streaming media instead.

Therefore, if the user that was "broadcasting" stops then obviously there is nothing to receive.

This is just my interpretation of what is happening based on what I've read recently, like I say it may be a load of rubbish :)

df

No you are absolutely correct, I was just making light of the fact the channel had disappeared just as I'd perfected my set-up...

Abo
14th February 2007, 15:18
the five TV guide has now been updated

'It is actually a form of stock car racing where drivers can legally shunt each other out of the way at speeds of 150mph plus.'

Cool, when are they showing *this*??? ;)

cgs
14th February 2007, 15:38
trying to reach out to non-NASCAR viewers then are they?

i'd love to find out the ratings they get for this, but i doubt they'd be publically released

LessThanSte
14th February 2007, 16:10
Who the fluff is Jonathon Green?

mbr
14th February 2007, 16:34
Well done Channel Five
I cannot see NASN coming up with the goods as the 500 is only a couple of days away.Last year we had both Gatorade Duels as well!!!

acorn
14th February 2007, 16:44

sky sports speedway presenter iirc

acorn
14th February 2007, 16:55
'It is actually a form of stock car racing where drivers can legally shunt each other out of the way at speeds of 150mph plus.'

Cool, when are they showing *this*??? ;)

not sure whose law book they've been reading. bump and run or bump drafting are even getting close scrutiny these days and an invitation to visit the nascar office after the race is getting more frequent particularly if the contact results in a wreck.

acorn
14th February 2007, 16:59
"what the hell have disney got to do with it?" was my first thought before i remembered just how big their empire is and that espn is part of it.

ghostdancing
14th February 2007, 18:26
Just a thought, 0.10am to 3.10am, thats only 3 hours.

Looks as though it is just highlights, and not the full race. I can't remember an Daytona 500 taking less than 3hrs to finish.

It's like being on a rollercoaster, one minute you up, next your down. Was hoping it was going to be the whole race, but somehow, it looks as if it is going to be edited highlights, with around an hour of pre-race chat before hand. Oh god only two hours of the race now.

Fox has stopped broadcasting on my TVU player too, looks as if someone up high has pulled the plug on us all.

Am actually looking into installing my own satelite dish and receiver (not sky), and looking for a big enough satelite footprint to point it at and grab Fox Sports from across the pond. But before I do, does anyone know how long Fox now have the rights to show NASCAR in the USA for ?

jonv
14th February 2007, 18:43

Looks as though it is just highlights, and not the full race. I can't remember an Daytona 500 taking less than 3hrs to finish.

I suspect five will fit it into 3hrs by not having the same number of ad breaks as the US coverage.

gary_580
14th February 2007, 18:43
Am actually looking into installing my own satelite dish and receiver (not sky), and looking for a big enough satelite footprint to point it at and grab Fox Sports from across the pond. But before I do, does anyone know how long Fox now have the rights to show NASCAR in the USA for ?

Just the first half of the season

gary_580
14th February 2007, 18:45
I suspect five will fit it into 3hrs by not having the same number of ad breaks as the US coverage.

huh? that doesnt make the race shorter. NASN used to show it uninterupted. I suspect it will just over run, or if Matthew "the knob" Collier from NASN has anything to do with it they will just miss the end of the race

acorn
14th February 2007, 18:46

Was hoping it was going to be the whole race, but somehow, it looks as if it is going to be edited highlights, with around an hour of pre-race chat before hand. Oh god only two hours of the race now.

i looked at the 3hours with a bit of worry too but if they only show the race without too much preamble then it might just fit and they have said as live and the whole race. just in case i'm setting my sky+ for manual recording up to 4:00 am to allow for an overrun(or should i set it for 06:00?????).

jeffmr2
14th February 2007, 18:54
Bloody hell ive turned my TVU on,i still have fox channel but no wheels channel so looks like i wont be watching the gatorade duels.Absolutely gutted just as things seemd to be getting better.

gary_580
14th February 2007, 19:03
Bloody hell ive turned my TVU on,i still have fox channel but no wheels channel so looks like i wont be watching the gatorade duels.Absolutely gutted just as things seemd to be getting better.

calm down!!

1. Who says Wheels transmit at this time of day on a Wednesday

2. Who says wheel will carry speed for the gatorades?

TVU was always there, nothing has changed its no better and no worse than it was a week ago

Dave17
14th February 2007, 19:08

Yep he's a Sky presenter. Does all the speedway with Kelvin Tatum. Not a bad guy and a damn sight better than Eurosports Mark Cole!

jeffmr2
14th February 2007, 19:10
calm down!!

1. Who says Wheels transmit at this time of day on a Wednesday

2. Who says wheel will carry speed for the gatorades?

TVU was always there, nothing has changed its no better and no worse than it was a week ago

thanks for the calming words lol!!
wheels was showing speed channel y.day i checked in readyness for tonight.
at least i can watch top gear repeat!!

gary_580
14th February 2007, 20:48
thanks for the calming words lol!!
wheels was showing speed channel y.day i checked in readyness for tonight.
at least i can watch top gear repeat!!

checked at 20:40 and wheels was on however i couldnt connect to it

pentti
14th February 2007, 21:30
I supose ch 5 not showing all pit stops(I found them interesting).I always record Nascar 5 hours longer than advetirsed.Just in case of rain delay.
Tonight 22.30 you can see Nascar now live at ESPN(half an hour).ESPN has quite funny ads with Nascar also.What a change it has been to the attidude of ESPN now compared then they did not have Nascar!

cgs
14th February 2007, 22:13
i'd asusme they'd cut a lot of the prerace stuff.

pentti
14th February 2007, 23:30
i'd asusme they'd cut a lot of the prerace stuff.That would be pity.

dilbertfan
15th February 2007, 09:40
Yep he's a Sky presenter. Does all the speedway with Kelvin Tatum. Not a bad guy and a damn sight better than Eurosports Mark Cole!

Yeah, he did one race on F1 Digital+ when it ran for that one season a few years back. I think he stood in for John Watson, can't remember which race it was. IMHO he is by far the best commentator on the "World Motorsport" program that Sky show, all the others just sound like their reactions are queued from the script and they aren't actually watching the racing.

df

dilbertfan
15th February 2007, 09:52
huh? that doesnt make the race shorter. NASN used to show it uninterupted. I suspect it will just over run, or if Matthew "the knob" Collier from NASN has anything to do with it they will just miss the end of the race

Bear in mind there's complete coverage and then there's "complete" coverage. Fox will sell it to US audiences as "complete" coverage but they'll get a half-hour pre-race show with half an hour's worth of ads to fill it out for the hour before the race, then they'll miss 30+ laps or whatever during the race in ad breaks. Take that out of the total broadcast time and 3 hours is probably not too unrealistic.

I'll be amazed if five get it with the in-car coverage during the US ad-breaks. My guess is that it'll be like the Shootout was and it'll be exactly what the US audience got but with the ad breaks not being ad breaks so it'll go to a "break" and then come straight back but it'll be a couple of laps later.

However, you never know, they might show it all :) I'm prepared to be amazed ;)

df

earnhardt8
15th February 2007, 12:15
Good news,the wheels channel appears to be working fine and is currently showing speed

Abo
15th February 2007, 16:48
Those of you with TVU, switch to the Wheels channel now. Speed is on there, broadcasting NASCAR on Speed, the Duels pre-race. Racing starts at 19:00 GMT

savage86
15th February 2007, 17:27
Fox IS still on there lets hope it stays

deadsquirrel
15th February 2007, 18:03
Those of you with TVU, switch to the Wheels channel now. Speed is on there, broadcasting NASCAR on Speed, the Duels pre-race. Racing starts at 19:00 GMT

And what's worse is, Setanta is advertising their Rugby coverage on directv! Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!

Abo
15th February 2007, 20:11
Well, the TVU coverage on Wheels sucks, they don't have enough bandwidth by the looks of things. Looks like I'll be downloading the duels and watching the 500 live on Fox.

Fixed the problem with the video: it seems my PC will only stream video to the PC's mary display. So cloning the displays and making the TV the primary solved the problem :)

RollingThunder
15th February 2007, 20:19
Consider yourself lucky - TVU isn't Mac-friendly, neither is NASCAR.com's Raceview, so I'm 'watching' the Gatorades on Pitcommand with the radio coverage. It's very clever, but no substitute...

Andrew C

GARYGAZZA
15th February 2007, 20:26
TVU coverage on wheels is dire and totally unwatchable untill the ads!!!Roll on sunday when Fox take over coverage and Channel 5 is as live.Go June bug go.

JDPower
15th February 2007, 20:54
Wearing my moderator hat...

This thread is already O/T. ;)

Please don't lets turn it into a thread about streaming video. If you want to talk about streaming, I'll move the relevant posts to the Chit Chat board and you can continue there. :)
FFS this forums getting pedantic :rolleyes:

gary_580
15th February 2007, 20:56
wheels keeps cutting out, so dire its hardly worth watching

Pedalpusher
15th February 2007, 22:00
wheels keeps cutting out, so dire its hardly worth watching

It seems to be better at the moment.
Montoya has just been leading the 2nd Gatorade Duel, but has just got a puncture, brushed the wall and brought out the 1st yellow.

JovialJooles
15th February 2007, 22:44

Well that was constructive... Glad you felt the need to comment.

gary_580
16th February 2007, 09:43
Well that was constructive... Glad you felt the need to comment.

But your comment about it being O/T isnt that helpful when the topic is about how we can watch NASCAR in the UK

Abo
16th February 2007, 10:17
It seems to be better at the moment.
Montoya has just been leading the 2nd Gatorade Duel, but has just got a puncture, brushed the wall and brought out the 1st yellow.

Cmon guys, don't post spoilers!

I'm downloading the duels now and haven't seen that...

pickup
16th February 2007, 10:36

Hoorah well said, pedantic your'e not joking twelve pages and still going.How many times can you go over the same thing!

pickup
16th February 2007, 10:44
But your comment about it being O/T isnt that helpful when the topic is about how we can watch NASCAR in the UK

Yeah right but just so happens this is the SCSA forum NOT the Nascar forum, it's o/k discussing SCSA related topics posted O/T but c'mon guys twelve pages about a TV programme!

jeffmr2
16th February 2007, 11:14
Yeah right but just so happens this is the SCSA forum NOT the Nascar forum, it's o/k discussing SCSA related topics posted O/T but c'mon guys twelve pages about a TV programme!

I see youre point but its easier to share info on here with fellow brit nascar fans.Its not just about a TV programme but nascar on tv,there is nothing more important than this!!!!! (in the tv/sporting world)

pickup
16th February 2007, 11:20
I see youre point but its easier to share info on here with fellow brit nascar fans.Its not just about a TV programme but nascar on tv,there is nothing more important than this!!!!! (in the tv/sporting world)

I understand what your'e saying and have no problem with that, it just seems to be dragging on a bit and many of the posts just seem to go over the same thing.It looks like people are just reading the last posts and repeating whats already been discussed, and now wer'e just getting race reports.

cgs
16th February 2007, 13:03
there is nothing wrong with long threads

Pedalpusher
16th February 2007, 13:44
Cmon guys, don't post spoilers!

I'm downloading the duels now and haven't seen that...

Sorry :o

Dave17
16th February 2007, 16:49
Wheels coverage might burp occasionaly but hey, its better than nowt and may be the only coverage we get if 5 only do Daytona!

Dave17
16th February 2007, 16:57

It's not JUST a TV progamme - it's the whole season!

If its the SCSA forum then how do you warrant discusion of pick ups, jokes and marshalling among others.
Of the 22 treads currently on veiw, 14 are non SCSA related.

cgs
16th February 2007, 16:59
and if you're going to make a post about not posting spoilers, please don't post the spoiler in that post. i managed to skip past the spoiler first time round, but wasn;t so lucky second time round. :(

acorn
16th February 2007, 17:27

If its the SCSA forum then how do you warrant discusion of pick ups, jokes and marshalling among others.

aren't/weren't pickups supposed to be the must do before stepping up to scsa therefore warranted

scsa supporters keeping other scsa supporters amused therefore warranted

thunder sundays have to have marshals therefore warranted.

but seriously, the scsa side of things is fairly quiet at the moment. when more news starts coming through we'll have more to discuss.

i see this forum more as a community with scsa supporters discussing topics that may be of common interest not just scsa.

pickup
16th February 2007, 18:35

OK then JUST TV coverage for the whole season!

"If it's the SCSA forum"..... i thought that was the title!

I think your second point has already been covered people see this as more of a Rockingham based forum as we don't have a seperate pickup forum and as i have said previously i don't have any problem with non SCSA posts provided they are related in some way to Rockingham racing.
My only grievance was that this thread is rambling on and getting further away from its original topic.

Dave17
16th February 2007, 19:20
My only grievance was that this thread is rambling on and getting further away from its original topic.

Don't talk rubbish! The thread started out on the subject of will NASCAR be on NASN. Developed, when it became apparant that it would not to start with, into an informative discusion into other means of watching NASCAR.

Also, if you are so miffed with this thread WHY ON EARTH DO YOU KEEP ON PARTICIPATING IN IT!

pentti
16th February 2007, 20:15
I learned a lot from this tread.Thanks.Keep it up please.

JDPower
16th February 2007, 20:21

Hoorah well said, pedantic your'e not joking twelve pages and still going.How many times can you go over the same thing!
Taken out of context, I wasn't referring to this thread itself but the over reaction of the moderators to anything OT.

JovialJooles
16th February 2007, 20:45
Taken out of context, I wasn't referring to this thread itself but the over reaction of the moderators to anything OT.

Hmmm,

Perhaps you haven't noticed my posts in this thread.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that I started the original Joke thread many moons ago on the old forum.

I don't have a problem with O/T posts, in fact I've started many myself.

The reason I posted the comment about the streaming thread was that I didn't want post after post about the technicalities of streaming and people complaining that it was going off topic.

Yes, I am a moderator and yes I do try and keep threads roughly to their topic.

I was trying to be helpful to those people who wanted to discuss the steraming issue and prevent post after post of people omplaining about threads going off target. Which, thanks to your unnecessary post we now have.

I also put smilies in to show that it was just a gentle reminder and offering help. Of course, you chose to take my post out of context - have I actually removed the streaming posts?

Errrrrrr, no.

But you still chose to get on your high horse and bitch!

I also think you comment, apart from being well out of order (ffs indeed) is pretty unfair. I've been a moderator well over a year and have worn the moderator hat about 4 times in that period.

As to those complaining about the length of the thread, for goodness sake, don't read it if you're not interested. Duh!

The perceptive among you will have noticed I'm a bit peed off! :mad:

pickup
16th February 2007, 20:47
Don't talk rubbish! The thread started out on the subject of will NASCAR be on NASN. Developed, when it became apparant that it would not to start with, into an informative discusion into other means of watching NASCAR.

Also, if you are so miffed with this thread WHY ON EARTH DO YOU KEEP ON PARTICIPATING IN IT!

WHY NOT! it's keeping you amused.

JDPower
16th February 2007, 21:04
Yes, I am a moderator and yes I do try and keep threads roughly to their topic.

I was trying to be helpful to those people who wanted to discuss the steraming issue and prevent post after post of people omplaining about threads going off target. Which, thanks to your unnecessary post we now have.

I also put smilies in to show that it was just a gentle reminder and offering help. Of course, you chose to take my post out of context - have I actually removed the streaming posts?

Errrrrrr, no.

But you still chose to get on your high horse and bitch!

I also think you comment, apart from being well out of order (ffs indeed) is pretty unfair. I've been a moderator well over a year and have worn the moderator hat about 4 times in that period.

The perceptive among you will have noticed I'm a bit peed off! :mad:
You will have noticed I said moderators. When I posted that there were just two active threads, both of which had seperate moderators complaining about OT comments which I thought was pretty pedantic hence my post.

ghostdancing
16th February 2007, 21:06
Who got a letter today - Sentanta NASN

I got a letter today from Setanta Sports informing me about a change of Company Name / Transfer of Business.

Letter says.

Over the last three years Setanta Sports has been transforming the sports broadcasting market with the services and great content. We have experience rapid and significant growth and are now re-structuring our business to ensure that we continue to bring you the best sports programming. This change will not affect the service you receive in any way, except that future payments will be collected by Setanta Sports S.a.r.l instead of Setanta Transmissions (UK) Limited with effect from 1st March 2007.

In my humble opinion, I think this is probably the first step towards NASN being either sold off, or rebranded. And I think that NASN will not being showing NASCAR until the traditional 4th July Daytona night race, if at all, when the American's swap their NASCAR broadcasters from one to the other.

It's a long time to wait, so like me can I suggest we all send as much encouragement as possible to FiveUS, thanking them for showing the race this Sunday, and asking if they can show more races, even if they are time delayed.

NB. This thread has been brilliant and very useful to me. TVU etc.

Dave17
16th February 2007, 21:57
WHY NOT! it's keeping you amused.

I find your constant posts that have nothing to do with the thread, just bitching about it, anything but amusing. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/indifferent0022.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)