PDA

View Full Version : Best US hopefuls for GP2

Placid
2nd November 2007, 02:32
Normally, this topic would have been in the F1 discussion. Graham and Marco have a long road ahead in reaching Formula 1. And is true that you have to race in Europe to reach the pinnacle of OWR. IPS drivers actually are slim to none.

While Jonathan Summerton and Charlie Kimball are still trying to stay in Europe to reach GP2,

Which other young US hopefuls who are in the Atlantics do you believe they can break into GP2 in order to reach F1?

2nd November 2007, 14:36
Normally, this topic would have been in the F1 discussion. Graham and Marco have a long road ahead in reaching Formula 1. And is true that you have to race in Europe to reach the pinnacle of OWR. IPS drivers actually are slim to none.

While Jonathan Summerton and Charlie Kimball are still trying to stay in Europe to reach GP2,

Which other young US hopefuls who are in the Atlantics do you believe they can break into GP2 in order to reach F1?

Charlie Kimball has just been diagnosed as diabetic and lost his seat in the WSR.

Unless an energy drink company launches a US-driver search programme, the chances of anyone in Atlantics making the switch to GP2 is pretty minimal.

Placid
2nd November 2007, 23:20
Charlie Kimball has just been diagnosed as diabetic and lost his seat in the WSR.

Unless an energy drink company launches a US-driver search programme, the chances of anyone in Atlantics making the switch to GP2 is pretty minimal.

True that he lost his seat. But actually: Victory Engineering was not retained for 2008 for the World Series by Renault.

patnicholls
6th November 2007, 00:07
Victory Engineering were/are a Carlin second team, so it was probably down to that rather than any bad form that meant they got the chop.

Placid
6th November 2007, 02:53
Victory Engineering were/are a Carlin second team, so it was probably down to that rather than any bad form that meant they got the chop.

Kimball and Carlin Motorsport go way back to 2005 when he finished runner-up in the British F3. I hope when his health is 100%, Carlin may pick him for his team.

CCFanatic
24th November 2007, 00:55
GP2, hmmm, Johathan Edwards, but he looks likely to stay in Champ Car Atlantics another year, plus he is only 16. Summerton has been in Euro F3 for two years now, and would need the right funding to move up, but sure has the talent to do so. Kimball has never impressed past F3. Honda owns Marco so he'd jump straight to F1, when they feel he is ready, which at the rate he is going, he never will. Pretty much the same with Graham. With CC gaining world popularity and prominance, I think in a few years, with a good record, not even a championship, but a few wins, could get him into F1. Most young Americans in openwheel have been avoiding Europe since the Red Bull crap, that hurt the careers to about 5-6 drivers, instead focusing on Champ Car while competeing the CCAtlantics. If this was two years ago, I'd say Colin Flemming, but now that he left WSR and is out of racing, and no Red Bull support, I'd say no.

Placid
25th November 2007, 03:28
But at least it can be somewhere in the future. I know it will not be in 2008 or 2009, but someone will come along.

CCFanatic
25th November 2007, 22:26
But at least it can be somewhere in the future. I know it will not be in 2008 or 2009, but someone will come along.

Oh, yes. 2010 is when I think Edwards will be ready, unless he is faster in CCA than I thought and gets the championship in the next two years.

Placid
13th March 2008, 04:07
At the moment, Edwards has no ride at this moment.

I wonder if Dane Cameron or Carl Skerlong have the potential to jump into GP2?

seppefan
14th March 2008, 13:32
At the moment, Edwards has no ride at this moment.

I wonder if Dane Cameron or Carl Skerlong have the potential to jump into GP2?

I reckon Dane will be looking to that for 09 after winning the Atlantic Chamionship this year ! He is quick and seems very gifted.

vintage
20th March 2008, 18:54
Hildebrand bettered Cameron on the same team and using the same equipment in the 2006 F2000 Championship - 12 wins to 2. Be interesting to see how he does with the "old team" in the IPS. Cameron took over Hildebrand's place at Genoa, and did great at the Monterey test. Maybe they could both go!

Placid
21st March 2008, 03:28
I have to look at JR during the IPS season. He may have potential. Remember that Cameron won the Formula Palmer Audi Autumn Trophy in the same year with Team USA scholarship team.

fightinchunk
24th March 2008, 16:45
If I were to keep an eye out for future american F1 stars, what series would I have to keep up with besides IPS and F2000. How would an american youngster get his start in open wheel racing after karting(excluding midget car/spring car racing)? Formula ford doesn't exist in NA anymore correct?

Placid
25th March 2008, 02:54
If I were to keep an eye out for future american F1 stars, what series would I have to keep up with besides IPS and F2000. How would an american youngster get his start in open wheel racing after karting(excluding midget car/spring car racing)? Formula ford doesn't exist in NA anymore correct?

Formula Ford is still running.

http://www.pacificf2000.com

I would say to look over an Atlantic driver as well. IPS won't get you anywhere unless that team has interest

BenRoethig
5th April 2008, 01:01
That's a tough question to answer. The U.S. talent pool committed to a formula career is pretty small. Most of the top talent is going to go into stock cars or Indycars. The pay is better and lets face it, so little attention is paid to F1 here that Scott Speed could have walked through his home town and not be noticed. The way things have diverged, to see a U.S. driver in a GP2 or F1 seat is a lighning in a bottle scenario.