PDA

View Full Version : Painting my wagon question.

Hazell B
31st October 2007, 17:59
I've just bought a large box van trailer in white (they're always white :rolleyes: ) and wondered what I can use to make it another colour?

It's made from that plastic covered board that some box vans have as their main body, not the usual metal like cars. The galv sections (chassis, boarders to the main body and roof bars) are fine as they are, it's just the white sides and front I need to paint or spray. With it being flexible, glossy plastic will it need special paint and a specific undercoat?

All I need is the whole trailer to be dark as I leave it in the middle of a field with stock in it when it's not in use. Basically anything to help it be a little less obvious would be great, but also it has to look smartish being for my business.

Anyone every sprayed or painted anything like a box van?

Easy Drifter
4th November 2007, 19:20
I have been reluctant to reply but as no one else seems willing I will pass on my limited experience. We have painted a fibreglass camper top and race car fibreglass bodys several times. Have also painted several vehicles. With a good compressor with a filter to stop water and or oil and a reasonable sized tank you should have no trouble. If you do not have one you can probably rent a good spray gun. House spray guns are not suitable. With something that large spray cans will not hack it. Use a primer and then any good paint designed for fibreglass or plastic & just go ahead. Most automotive paints will work. Make sure you have wipers and solvent handy.
Wear a mask and if painting outside do it very early before the wind gets up. You might also want to dampen the area beforehand to keep the dust down. Pick a warm day. If inside you will need some method of fume extraction that will not stir up dust. Go easy on each coat to avoid runs.
There are books available on automotive painting or you might want to talk to a autobody shop for more tips.

MrJan
4th November 2007, 22:13
My Dad painted a car in the back garden using a makeshift spray room made out of wood and polythene. It wasn't a brilliant job but apparently the paint was some out of dat/ difficult to use type. The finish could have been much better by rubbing down a lot more afterwards but that's boring.

Try and get as many tips as possible before starting (Ask absolutely everyone) but in the end the best way to get a really good job is to learn by doing. Also if outside make sure your cars aren't too close, the last thing you want is loads of drops of paint all over everything :D

Hazell B
7th November 2007, 21:28
Thanks.
Hadn't thought of sprays suitable for fibreglass, believe it or not :mark:

See, however stupid the question is .... I can always ask it :p :

leopard
8th November 2007, 04:46
Why would the storage be compelling you to paint it dark, would it be effective to support the function?

Hazell B
8th November 2007, 20:48
Painting it dark is mainly about it being left in a compound in my field six days each week, open to being stolen. If it's a little less obvious to passing Pikies it's far less liable to vanish one night and never be seen again.

You'd be surprised just how much a bright white 10 x 5 x 7 foot trailer appeals to thieves. They probably wouldn't even notice a dark green one.

Drew
8th November 2007, 21:10
Also I suppose if it's a darker colour and left in a field for a few days a week it would not need to be cleaned much (at all?)

Hazell B
8th November 2007, 21:32
Cleaned? :laugh:

My Land Rover gets a wipe down once each year at best, so the trailer won't fair much better ;)

Joking aside, that's a nice bonus I hadn't thought of. Cleaning my trailers inside is a weekly task, as it rooting about under them for any damage. The outsides only get done when they're really grubby, which isn't often as my vehicle doesn't cover them in spray at all luckily.

leopard
9th November 2007, 04:15
Why didn't you paint it hazel. :o :)