PDA

View Full Version : Change in point system for Nationwide Series

Vez
29th October 2007, 19:30
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/10/29/scene_daily142.html

I think it sounds like an interesting idea, as (i understand) it will show off the non-Cup guys more, at the same time it won't stop the cup guys from racing in the series.
Though I think what is written in the last sentence would most likely happen, I would hope that the Cup teams would think about introducing new drivers rather than pulling out altogether and using the series as a feeder/development series like it should be.

What's your opinions?

RaceFanStan
29th October 2007, 21:44
NASCAR officials declined comment .....

call_me_andrew
30th October 2007, 01:56
It's not the route I would take, but I could live with it.

jeffconn
31st October 2007, 22:20
Good idea. The proposed rules could make the Nationwide series a feeder series again. Only 9 drivers have raced in all 32 Busch races in 2007. Edwards, Reutimann, and Ragan are 3 of those. If the Sprint Cup drivers can't earn Nationwide points, then their cars won't be in the top 30 in points, and the Cuppers will have to enter the race on speed. No free rides, except for past champs. Eventually, the only cars that will have provisionals will be Nationwide regulars. The rule doesn't stop any Top 35 Cup driver from competing either. If David Reutimann wants to race all the Nationwide races, then he can, provided he can qualify on speed.

By the way, since David Reutimann is 39th in Cup points, might he have been this year's Busch Champ under the proposed rules?

Sparky1329
1st November 2007, 00:20
As screwy as it sounds it might just work. One big problem is the dollar winnings for race wins. Cup drivers will still win a lot of races and take money away from small independent teams. Since there are almost none of those anymore it probably doesn't matter. It would be beneficial to the up-and-coming young drivers.

RaceFanStan
1st November 2007, 01:33
Sounds like someone @ NASCAR doesn't want a full-time Cup driver to be the feeder series champion ...
If this had been in effect in 2001, Kevin Harvick would not have his 2 Busch Series championships. :eek:
Martin Truex would not have his 2nd Busch Series championship either. :s

If NASCAR is not going to give the full-time Cup drivers points in the feeder series then ...
the feeder series car owner shouldn't get owners points IF he has a full-time Cup driver in the car ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Sparky1329
1st November 2007, 03:15
Martin would've had 2 Busch championships under the proposed rules. He won back to back championships in 2004 and 2005. In '04 he raced in two Cup races and in '05 he raced in 7. He wasn't a full-time Cup driver until 2006.

http://racing-reference.info/driver?id=truexma02

BobbyC
1st November 2007, 11:37
David Reutimann would be this year's Busch champion if the rules were written they way they are, because he is not a Top 35 driver in the NNCS.

RaceFanStan
1st November 2007, 12:04
BC, your statement is NOT accurate.
David Reutimann would only be the Busch Series points leader ...
HOWEVER with 3 Busch Series races left in 2007 ...
Jason Leffler still would have a mathematical chance ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

after eliminating the top 35 in the Cup Series
the Top 10 in the Busch Series Points Standings would be :
01. David Reutimann 3833 points
02. Jason Leffler 3606 points
03. Bobby Hamilton Jr 3313 points
04. Stephen Leicht 3203 points
05. Marcos Ambrose 3152 points
06. Mike Wallace 3083 points
07. Scott Wimmer 2907 points
08. Kyle Krisiloff 2552 points
09. Steve Wallace 2545 points
10. Mike Bliss 2413 points

Don't forget : it ain't over UNTIL it is over ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
1st November 2007, 14:09
Sounds like someone @ NASCAR doesn't want a full-time Cup driver to be the feeder series champion ...
If this had been in effect in 2001, Kevin Harvick would not have his 2 Busch Series championships. :eek:

Harvick's situation was a little more different, he was kinded put into the seat to replace Dale, he still missed one start and still was in the top 10 in points

woody2goody
1st November 2007, 23:33
Should there be a limit to the number of NEXTEL/Sprint Cup drivers who can compete in the Nationwide series races?

If so, how many?

Personally, I think it should be AT LEAST the previous year's Chase drivers, if not the top 20 or like previously suggested the top 35 in the drivers' championship.

Several people have said that taking the Cup drivers out would result in lower attendances and viewing figures, but I think the exact opposite will be the result.

I would love to see a 2nd tier championship battle with completely different drivers in it. I watched the Milwaukee Busch race last week and it was just as much fun because I didn't know the drivers or teams or many of the cars.

Maybe it should only be NEXTEL/Sprint Cup rookies who could run the series to gain experience along with the regular N-wide guys. In their second year of Cup racing they would become ineligible for Nationwide series competition.

I would really enjoy seeing a Nationwide series next year with all the regular Busch guys like jason keller, mike bliss, stephen leicht, jason leffler, but also rookies like Aric Almirola, Dario Franchitti, Jaqcues Villeneuve, and the 'forgotten men' like Burney Lamar.

What does everyone else think?

jeffconn
2nd November 2007, 03:10
i think that one of NASCARs selling points has been that they welcome all comers to their races. If a top 35 cupper wants to race a Nationwide race, they should be allowed to qualify, BUT the Cupper shouldn't get a points provisional. Save the provisionals for the drivers racing for the Nationwide championship. If i recall correctly, the top 30 in Busch car owner points are guaranteed a starting spot this year. i'd make the Top 35 Cupper qualify for one of the 13 remaining spots.