PDA

View Full Version : The Best F1 news websites?

wmcot
29th October 2007, 06:15
In your opinion, which websites are best sources of accurate F1 news?

Pitpass.com seems to have gotten sparse in their reporting - not that many news items coming from them.

Motorsport.com tends to do more driver/team race reports than other news like the Stepneygate scandal.

GPUpdate.net - seems to be too tabloid and half their "news" is taken from F1Racing magazine.

itv.com - is OK, but seems to have a UK bias at times.

Any better websites out there?

Ranger
29th October 2007, 06:32
I use autosport.com mainly, then planetf1.com (I usually like their post-race reports as they seem pretty substantial). I used to use grandprix.com, but they seem to be on the anti-Spanish bandwagon now.

By all accounts on this forum, ilta-sanomat (sp?) and turun-sanomat (sp?) seem like the best (Though they are in Finnish).

Juppe
29th October 2007, 06:50
I use autosport.com mainly, then planetf1.com (I usually like their post-race reports as they seem pretty substantial). I used to use grandprix.com, but they seem to be on the anti-Spanish bandwagon now.

By all accounts on this forum, ilta-sanomat (sp?) and turun-sanomat (sp?) seem like the best (Though they are in Finnish).

Iltasanomat is rubbish, Turun Sanomat is excellent although biased towards Finns. Iltalehti is decent. :)

janneppi
29th October 2007, 06:52

Turun sanomat is rather good, but Iltasanomat is a tabloid paper, not as bad perhaps than the other tabloid Iltalehti, but still not the one I would put any trust in.

millencolin
29th October 2007, 07:52
i just use autosport.com and crash.net... they seem to do the trick

ArrowsFA1
29th October 2007, 08:23
Autosport - it's where most of the other sites get their news.

Dave B
29th October 2007, 08:38
Another vote for Autosport :up:

Crash is ok provided you've got a pop-up blocker :rolleyes:

ITV-F1 (aka Lewis Hamilton-F1) is reasonable, but rarely has any news which can't be found on the above. The columns are a decent read (except "Gravel Trap", pointless rubbish) but again the site keeps my pop-up blocker busy.

Pitpass is ok for press releases but their actual news is often a bit Mystic Meg. Their columns are opinionated drivel most of the time.

The official F1 site is good for interviews but hopeless for news as they (understandably) only publish stories once they're confirmed - by which time they're usually pretty common knowledge.

To be honest, I use this place as a kind of aggregator, it's usually the quickest at spotting breaking news - although far from being the most accurate!

Juppe
29th October 2007, 11:09
Turun sanomat is rather good, but Iltasanomat is a tabloid paper, not as bad perhaps than the other tabloid Iltalehti, but still not the one I would put any trust in.

No, you got it the wrong way. Iltasanomat is a lot worse than Iltalehti when it comes to F1-news strictly.

Hell, Iltasanomat didn't even have their own reporter in Brasilia like Iltalehti did.

Valve Bounce
29th October 2007, 12:06
Autosport - it's where most of the other sites get their news.

Good point. There is one problem with many of the ebsites: if one of them appears to scoop something of significance, the others will often just copy it without checking its veracity. So, you can have one reporter reporting that Lewis pushed the wrong button, and all the other websites will push the same story and since it is reported in most of the websites, we think it is for real.

Ari
29th October 2007, 12:47
autosport.... to the point that I take anything else written as trash rag till its verified by autosport.

ChrisS
29th October 2007, 12:55
my first choice is Autosport, crash.net is also good but you need a good ad blocker (firefox+Adblock plus make crash.net readable)

I have the rss feeds of the major F1 news sites on my google homepage that way I get all the headlines

catnip
29th October 2007, 17:01
I use Autosport and newsnow.co.uk's F1 feed. The latter is excellent if you want to keep up with every rumour doing the rounds. It's also great for spotting the sites that only copy&paste someone else's news.

aryan
29th October 2007, 17:08
What's wrong with thos forum?

Seriously, that's all I read (F1-wise), and I haven't missed a beat! :-D

jens
29th October 2007, 19:15
Interesting that no-one has mentioned F1-Live.com yet.

grantb4
29th October 2007, 19:22
Interesting that no-one has mentioned F1-Live.com yet.

I was just about to!

I also check out tsn.ca, but just for Canadian driver news.

Narr
29th October 2007, 20:27
http://www.totalf1.com/ is also good as it trawls other websites and posts links to those.

I must say for opinion (as opposed to news) I find Grandprix.com and occasionally pitpass very good.

leopard
30th October 2007, 12:09
All I need to do is visit this forum as you already put the links of those said sources here :)

Garry Walker
30th October 2007, 12:16
Autosport.com is the best english language site. Most others sites are pure rubbish, copy/paste rubbish. Pitpass occasionally comes out with some good things as well.
Motorsport-total.com is good if you can speak german, very good site with good stats on various things, if you need them.

wmcot
30th October 2007, 20:07
Thanks for the suggestions! I now have many excellent sources bookmarked. Now I have to find the time to read them all! :(

By the way, does anyone know of websites that are good at explaining the technical details of F1? I know f1.com has a few highlights of design changes by teams at current races, but I would like to find deeper technical sources on things like "how a seamless shift transmission works" and details like that.

trumperZ06
31st October 2007, 01:03
I use Autosport and newsnow.co.uk's F1 feed. The latter is excellent if you want to keep up with every rumour doing the rounds. It's also great for spotting the sites that only copy&paste someone else's news.

:D Yep... also speed TV occasionally has a gem or two.

jslone
31st October 2007, 03:52
Speedtv is pretty good on news.

pino
31st October 2007, 06:22
Autosport and Gazzetta.it/Motori/Formula1 are the ones I visit the most :D

leopard
31st October 2007, 06:49
Autosport and Gazzetta.it/Motori/Formula1 are the ones I visit the most :D
is the last an international language source?

pino
31st October 2007, 07:01
is the last an international language source?

Unfortunatelly not :(

ArrowsFA1
31st October 2007, 07:50
By the way, does anyone know of websites that are good at explaining the technical details of F1? I know f1.com has a few highlights of design changes by teams at current races, but I would like to find deeper technical sources on things like "how a seamless shift transmission works" and details like that.
This would be a good place to start - http://www.f1technical.net/

wmcot
31st October 2007, 19:35
This would be a good place to start - http://www.f1technical.net/

Thanks! Great website! This is what I love about F1 - technology!