PDA

View Full Version : Alka Seltzer!

racing59
27th October 2007, 15:17
Hi All,

Just a quickeeee to thank everyone for a great night last night at the V8 Trophy "Night at the ASCARS".

Nice to see so many enthusiastic people there, and Duane's news (I'll let him put that on here) shows that there is light at the end of the tunnel for us.

Now to brush up on my German.

Pass the Resolve...

Rob.

Sticker Rub
27th October 2007, 16:01
Now to brush up on my German.

Either ASCAR's going back to Lauzitz :) :) :) :) or Roland's going to be driving again :D

Gasman#99
27th October 2007, 17:54
OH my head still hurts!!!!! bad cure though, just been up rockingham all afternoon with the 2 seater going round with a broken manifold, shushhhhhhh.

Tractorboy.
27th October 2007, 18:36
It was a good night. and Happy Birthday Rob!!!!

racing59
27th October 2007, 19:23
Thanks Dude.

Hope everything got sorted this morning.

Duane
28th October 2007, 08:43
nothing is set in stone so no official report can be placed as yet, venues and dates are to be confirmed but we are building a different structure and the look of the series is changing, some will like it some will not.
"Road course" circuits will be run at and Germany is high on our wish list as well as dates at Rockingham.
Its been a long hard slog since the last round and it may take till the end of November to get things settled........and i will be taking a small break to go to somewhere called Homestead, he,he

Duane
28th October 2007, 08:46
and it was the best awards do we have had, Colin was celebrating in some style.

Duane

Old Stock Nut
28th October 2007, 09:46
.......and i will be taking a small break to go to somewhere called Homestead, he,he

Snap... Heading off next weekend for the annual trip to Orlando and will then be heading down to the Keys in three weeks time. I leave the girls there early on Sunday morning and head up to Homestead to spend the morning wandering round the pits before the race. Maybe see you there?

jimmylad
28th October 2007, 14:26
Posssilbily of some road courses, well can i suggest oulton park, mainly beacuse it easy for me to get to. ha ha
Me and Andy from where were discussing if the cars needed much modifaction to run on a road course

racing59
28th October 2007, 17:29
The Howe ASA chassis is designed with turning left AND right in mind.
The changes relate to cambers, spring rates, adjustments to suspension links, and tyres (no stagger)

Ultimately, you can fiddle with gear ratio's, final drive ratio's, and diff settings (for the Detroit locker). The rules, as they stand, don't permit changes to the gearbox ratio's, even though the Jerico can have it's ratio's changed.

Brakes also need some attention. The pads & discs are up to it, but they need extra cooling. The bodywork has provision to fit ducts, complete with blowers, so that's covered.

Most of the redundant ASA cars of this type in the 'States have been converted to road course spec. There were a lot of them running in the SCCA Trans-Am series in the "GT-America" class before Trans-Am went belly up.

We keep saying that we need to take on the mantle of a "British NASCAR", and let's face it, NASCAR doesn't race at one circuit only, and it does race on road courses.

As Duane says, until we know which road courses we've got, it's all "up in the air".

One thing for sure - we're at Motorfest 2008 - on the Oval!

Tractorboy.
28th October 2007, 19:54
Snap... Heading off next weekend for the annual trip to Orlando and will then be heading down to the Keys in three weeks time. I leave the girls there early on Sunday morning and head up to Homestead to spend the morning wandering round the pits before the race. Maybe see you there?

Tractors being let loose in America to, so we could all meet for a beer at the track if you want!!

:wave:

Duane
28th October 2007, 22:41
John Deere ??? Tractor

racing59
29th October 2007, 08:11
Wouldnt it make him an International Harvester?

syd
29th October 2007, 08:44
OH my head still hurts!!!!! bad cure though, just been up rockingham all afternoon with the 2 seater going round with a broken manifold, shushhhhhhh.

Lightweight......should've been uptil 4am with the rest of us! Happy birthday Rob.....should've told us, we'd have topped you up a bit more!!

Aaaagh got a ride in the 2 seater and it was AWESOME. Will tell you all now that I was white and shaking prior to getting in before Gasman blabs!! It was sprung on me but I really enjoyed it and big thanks to Lee.........now I know you drivers are mental!

Thanks to Duane (and Mandy) and all the Drivers for making 2007 happen and to all the teams for a fab year......it's been hard work but with everyone working together it gives SCSA a good base to go forward with.

Big thanks to Neil and Judith for organising the Ascars evening, and to all those providing the entertainment. Also to Sam and her team at the Holiday Inn.

Hope to see some of you out and about during the coming months and to see everyone back together next year for 2008 season.

Sarah xx

PitMarshal
29th October 2007, 12:59
The Howe ASA chassis is designed with turning left AND right in mind.
The changes relate to cambers, spring rates, adjustments to suspension links, and tyres (no stagger)

Ultimately, you can fiddle with gear ratio's, final drive ratio's, and diff settings (for the Detroit locker). The rules, as they stand, don't permit changes to the gearbox ratio's, even though the Jerico can have it's ratio's changed.

Brakes also need some attention. The pads & discs are up to it, but they need extra cooling. The bodywork has provision to fit ducts, complete with blowers, so that's covered.

Erm, and how long does this all take to do? Will we need six weeks between rounds so that everyone has time to convert the cars from oval to road course spec?

racing59
29th October 2007, 13:10
One man day.

A number of people could perform the changes within a couple of hours I'd say.
Providing you have the data to hand.

It could be done quicker - if you had a spare set of shocks, ready setup with springs, obviously it doesn't take long to change wheels, and the rest of the changes can be made fairly easily (if you have the data/dimensions to work from).

I'm aiming to start pulling mine to bits next week for it's repair job. When it goes back together, it'll be in road course spec. As I take it apart, I'll measure links (well, the straight ones!), cambers, etc... and then it makes it easy to put it back to Oval spec for the second part of the season (as that's how it's probably going to work).

The brake ducting will only need blanks putting over the apertures in the air dam when we run on the oval.

Final drive ratio's take minutes to change (once you know what you're doing!)

As long as the gearbox has it's direct top ratio (which it should have) then that to my mind can stay as it is. Top gear is the one that's important on the oval at Rockingham.

If you ever get to run a single seater (F3, etc..), or a proper sportscar, these kind of changes are second nature, as you don't tend to run the same setup at every circuit. Similar, but different!. It's not like running a road car on rubber suspension where you just kick the tyres, make sure it's got some gas in the tank, and go.

The "pro's" among the SCSA field strip cars down between meetings, which means that they have to effectively set them up before every event.

Rob.

Roland Vanderme
29th October 2007, 14:56
I think the Nextel Cup cars used for road racing have a different (shorter) wheel base to those used on the ovals.
Is that correct?

Nick Brad
2nd November 2007, 21:41
I'm not sure on that one, but of course with the COT coming in full time next year that will not be the case as you have one car for the whole season, (or so the rule books say).

racing59
2nd November 2007, 23:23
Cup cars have to be 110" wheelbase, Busch cars are 105" wheelbase.