PDA

View Full Version : If humpy moves lowes

disko
27th October 2007, 01:33
does this mean the end to the coca cola 600? I think the ripple effect could be huge for the 500 if this happens. Talk is that it would be a 3/4 miler similar to bristol. Does the double comes back into play?

Jonesi
27th October 2007, 02:53
I'm sure in Bruton Smith's mind he builds a newer bigger raceway nearby (he wants to stay within 17 miles of the airport) and otherwise everything continues as its been. I can't imagine that he would build a smaller track, Lowe's seats 171k (2nd only to IMS) and he fills it twice a year.
However things may not happen as he thinks.
If I was the Concord City attorney I would be preparing an economic impact report comparing tax income from the track vs any other use for the land, and let Bruton know the city would pursue Condemnation via eminent domain.
Lowe's (the company) almost has to side with the city, people & employees over a spoiled billionaire for PR reasons if nothing else.
If that happens then Nascar really can't transfer the Cup dates, and it has the added bonus that the France family can stick it to Bruton without a hint of antitrust.;-)
I wonder if there is anyone at SMI to rein him in before bridges are completely burned?

Jag_Warrior
27th October 2007, 07:17
Former IRL track? Site of a tragic day in IRL history?

Sort of like the Dinger to Penske thread on the CCWS forum, IMO.

My guess is Concord blinks (their eyes are already twitching from what I've heard) and Bruton will get pretty much everything he's looking for right where he is.

call_me_andrew
27th October 2007, 07:58
It seems relative to IRL in the sense that it hosts a race on the same day as the Indy 500.

I think Texas Motor Speedway seats about 180,000 which would put it past Charlotte (that's right, I still call it that).

If he were to move the track, he would proably take his dates with him. It would be like when Bruton Smith and Bob Bhare kidnapped errr... bought North Wilkesboro Speedway to take its dates.