PDA

View Full Version : 72 year old to enter the Daytona 500!

dwboogityfan
3rd January 2007, 18:29
From Jayski-
James Hylton Enters Daytona 500 in RCR car: in 1966 James Harvey Hylton was named “Rookie of the Year” in NASCAR’s Grand National Division [now known as Nextel Cup], starting an amazing career that would span five decades. During his career, Hylton would go on to finish second in NASCAR Grand National points in 1966, and repeat that performance during the 1967 and 1971 seasons. He would also score wins in the 1970 Richmond 400 [Cup], the 1970 NASCAR Grand American Citrus 250 [not sure what series] and the 1972 Talladega 500 [Cup] along with capturing four pole positions in NASCAR Winston / Nextel Cup competition. During his career, Hylton recorded 140 Top-Five finishes and 301 Top-Ten finishes in NASCAR Winston / Nextel Cup and in 2006, he finished 18th in points in the ARCA RE/MAX Series.
When asked why he has set his sites on the 2007 Daytona 500, Hylton states “I have never been able to come to Daytona with a well-financed operation and a first-rate car. I have always wanted to be able to race the 500 and not be limited by budget constraints and even though it has taken over 40 years, I am finally at that position. At my age, the odds against me are astronomical but it’s a challenge and I love a good challenge.”
Long-time friend J.C. Weaver and his upcoming music festival, GrahamFest, will sponsor Hylton. Weaver is owner of Mountain Rock Music, a publishing and recording company.
Hylton will drive the #58 Chevy built and prepared by Richard Childress Racing of Welcome, NC. The car was constructed on a Ronnie Hopkins chassis and is powered by engines from the RCR shop. A crew chief for the team will be named during January. Hopkins is also constructing a “Car of Tomorrow” for Hylton Motorsports, which will debut in March at Bristol. When Hylton Motorsports comes to Bristol, Damon Lusk of Kennewick, WA, will take Hylton’s place in the seat of the #58 car and Hylton will become Crew Chief. Lusk has two wins in ARCA RE/MAX Series competition along with along with 10 Top-5 and 23 Top-10 finishes. Lusk has also recorded 17 Busch Series starts and six Craftsman Truck series starts. “We are looking at running 19 Nextel Cup races in 2007 and Damon is a perfect fit for our plans,” states Hylton. Hylton has competed in 16 Daytona 500s, with his best finish being a third in 1967.(Hylton Motorsports PR)(1-3-2007)

I don't want to sound too dramatic but I have a really bad feeling this could end in disaster. 72 year olds should not be driving in the sports greatest event.

Lee Roy
3rd January 2007, 18:39
Oh, why not. :D

I remember watching Hylton drive years ago. He's truly an "original".

With 50 or so cars trying to make the field, it's going to be tough for him, but I'm glad to see him getting back into the business as a car owner.

RaceFanStan
3rd January 2007, 18:55
If James Hylton is in good physical condition & can race the 500 miles I say GO FOR IT ! :D :up:
He will be a sentimental favorite for all of us "gray-haired" fans. :D

Robert Ryan
3rd January 2007, 20:13
Better he gave his expertise to a team with an up and coming driver and a limited budget.

Sparky1329
3rd January 2007, 22:24
Good for Mr. Hylton! I'm glad RC is pitching in to help. I'll be cheering for him. :) :up:

muggle not
3rd January 2007, 23:09
Good to see him giving it a whirl. Hey, Paul Newman raced in the Rolex at age 80. In his seventies he was pretty competitive yet.

Jonesi
4th January 2007, 00:29
Good to see him giving it a whirl. Hey, Paul Newman raced in the Rolex at age 80. In his seventies he was pretty competitive yet.

There's a bit of a difference between Daytona 24hrs & Daytona 500. Few cars or drivers don't qualify for the 24hrs. The 500 is much more competitive to qualify.
Most of the 24hrs is run at 80-90%, conserving the car, and generally not in packs. Most of the Daytona 500 is run in packs faster than the cars qualified. Big difference in reaction times, especially when you get older.
Also James Hylton is not P.L. Newman.

Lee Roy
4th January 2007, 02:00
There's a bit of a difference between Daytona 24hrs & Daytona 500. Few cars or drivers don't qualify for the 24hrs. The 500 is much more competitive to qualify.

So????

Most of the 24hrs is run at 80-90%, conserving the car, and generally not in packs. Most of the Daytona 500 is run in packs faster than the cars qualified. Big difference in reaction times, especially when you get older.

Wow, and all these years people have been telling me how much more difficult road racing is than oval racing. I guess when it doesn't fit your agenda . . . . . . .

Also James Hylton is not P.L. Newman.

That's true. James Hylton has spent a lifetime as a professional racer. Newman has always been an amateur.

Sparky1329
4th January 2007, 03:28
James Hylton has been racing regularly in the ARCA series. We got to see him and cheer for him during ARCA practice at Pocono last year. It's not like he just crawled off his rocking chair to run the 500, for Pete's sake. :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2007, 19:13
The Man is 72 freaking years old!!!! NASCAR is the pinnacle of stock car racing and yet a man can come out of retirement and qualify for the biggest showcase in the sport? It is a lose lose situation for NASCAR. If he makes it, grandpa proves that racing in circles aint physically tough, and if he doesn't, well, I suppose it just draws people into wondering why so much effort was expended on a old man trying to race in the biggest showcase in the sport.

I think Hylton is a good man, a great example of age being no impediment to anyone driving a race car, but at some point, you question how physical this sport is on a superspeedway. I wish the guy well, and I think it is super RCR is helping out, but I do not think for one second that is helps fight the image that these guys are athletes.

Oh ya, as for Newman being competitive at the 24 hours, remember two things. One, he was in a team, where the other guys drove the wheels off the car. Based on pure speed, no chance Newman is competitive. The second thing to remember is sports car racing is all about just keeping the car together, and that is more a function of being smart. Paul is THAT.

Hylton qualifys for the 500, all power to him. In the free world, you should be able to attempt to do whatever you want if someone will back you and give you the opportunity. It is the most American right of all, and I am supportive of this, but I think the detractors of NASCAR will be just sharpening their knives.

muggle not
4th January 2007, 19:32
Oh ya, as for Newman being competitive at the 24 hours, remember two things. One, he was in a team, where the other guys drove the wheels off the car. Based on pure speed, no chance Newman is competitive. The second thing to remember is sports car racing is all about just keeping the car together, and that is more a function of being smart. Paul is THAT.

You must have never seen P.N. race. At age 78 he finished 5th at Limerock in the Trans Am Series against drivers like Johnny Miller, Brian Simo, Scott Pruett, etc. Pretty good for a 78 yr old. And where do you get the idea that road racing in Trans Am is just about keeping the car together. Jeez, Louise.
Don't get me wrong, Paul at age 78 was past his prime but could still run a pretty good race.

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2007, 20:01
Muggle, Trans Am is something that isnt all about keeping a car together, but past the top 3 or 4 guys, was often other rich guys with limited talent. He did great period for a senior. There is no doubt that PLN could have been a race driver for a living if he took it up other than Acting in his 20's, but the fact remains he is NOT going to be confused with the fastest guy out there. His enormous talent was not even tapped until he went racing seriously in his 50's. The fact does remain senior citizens and race cars don't often mix well, and competitive racing drivers in their 50's at the highest level just are not going to be common.

James Hylton will be struggling to make the show. He has good equipment and has a shot. My point was, and always is he has the right to do it, and he deserves to try, and I am all for it, but you cannot underestimate the way it may look to the sports detractors.

tstran17_88
5th January 2007, 03:51
Hylton did run a Busch race last year. Albeit, it was Milwaukee, he was a field filler, and ran four laps before parking it.

Sparky1329
5th January 2007, 06:07
The Man is 72 freaking years old!!!! NASCAR is the pinnacle of stock car racing and yet a man can come out of retirement and qualify for the biggest showcase in the sport? It is a lose lose situation for NASCAR. If he makes it, grandpa proves that racing in circles aint physically tough, and if he doesn't, well, I suppose it just draws people into wondering why so much effort was expended on a old man trying to race in the biggest showcase in the sport.

I think Hylton is a good man, a great example of age being no impediment to anyone driving a race car, but at some point, you question how physical this sport is on a superspeedway. I wish the guy well, and I think it is super RCR is helping out, but I do not think for one second that is helps fight the image that these guys are athletes.

Hylton qualifys for the 500, all power to him. In the free world, you should be able to attempt to do whatever you want if someone will back you and give you the opportunity. It is the most American right of all, and I am supportive of this, but I think the detractors of NASCAR will be just sharpening their knives.

He is not "coming out of retirement". He's been racing on a regular basis in the ARCA series. Do you even read what other people post or are you so enamored by your own posts that others don't matter? :rolleyes:

Jonesi
5th January 2007, 06:25
Hylton did run a Busch race last year. Albeit, it was Milwaukee, he was a field filler, and ran four laps before parking it.

If you can make the field that's good enough for over $1/4 million at Daytona.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 06:58
Sparky, running ARCA is fine but it isn't the top level of the sport, and he didn't run ARCA full time either.

I did read that, and sorry, my feelings are the same he has the right to do it, and maybe that is something just to make it, but he has little left to prove and if he ever gets in a big wreck at Daytona, well it hurts a 30 year old guy, so a 72 year old one wont have it any easier.

Rusty Spanner
5th January 2007, 11:41
The judgement on whether someone can or cannot race should be made on experience plus physical and mental ability, not age. Its NASCAR’s responsibility to find a suitable way of determining this, not just for situations involving older drivers but also for when drivers come back from big accidents, injury, concussions etc. It is then up to the driver to decide if they are willing to personally take the risk.

RaikkonenRules
5th January 2007, 22:44
Morgan Shephrad ran 5 or so Busch races for Davis Motorsport last year at the age of 65 so James Hylton isn't the only old timer in NASCAR. Also Brad Teague ran 15 Busch races in 04 at the age of 57.

Old fogies aren't that rare in NASCAR. :D

Still it would probably be best to have a hearse on standby just in case the worst happens.

call_me_andrew
6th January 2007, 05:32

I couldn't agree more. As much as I hate the 20 year olds, the grey haired drivers are making us look bad. I'd hate to think what would happen if word got out that Morgan Shepheard is illiterate.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2007, 06:19
I get all of that, and I wish the senior citizens of NASCAR would just choose to run Truck or ARCA or short track. When a 70 plus year old man shows up to run the Daytona 500, it invites people to criticize if anything does go wrong. Even if he does ok, then it still may be a story with negatives in it to NASCAR's detractors. Not that NASCAR worries about such things.

Hey, I didn't say I wasn't torn here. I just don't see 73 year old bodies taking a hit at 180 mph doing too well, safety aids notwithstanding....

Lee Roy
6th January 2007, 14:30
I couldn't agree more. As much as I hate the 20 year olds, the grey haired drivers are making us look bad. I'd hate to think what would happen if word got out that Morgan Shepheard is illiterate.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Morgan Shephard has accomplished more in his life than a lot of pointy-headed college graduates who had mommy and daddy to spoon feed them all their lives.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2007, 18:50
Lee Roy, those college graduates will be the ruin of us all I am sure....

tstran17_88
7th January 2007, 15:40
I wonder if Red Farmer is now having thoughts of a return to Nascar? :D

Sparky1329
7th January 2007, 16:32
I wonder if Red Farmer is now having thoughts of a return to Nascar? :D

He'll probably just stick to dirt racing. :D

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2007, 18:39
Sparky, would that involve an Allis Chambers Tractor and a plough?

kelloggs5TLfan
7th January 2007, 23:53
He'll probably just stick to dirt racing. :D

He's good at dirt track racing. :)

Sparky1329
8th January 2007, 04:27
Sparky, would that involve an Allis Chambers Tractor and a plough?

Sure. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Bob Riebe
10th January 2007, 08:46
How old was McGriff before he retired?
How old was he when he returned to racing?
How old was Chuck Yeager when he retired, after still taking multi-million dollar single seater up in official tests?
Two airmen from WWII got air to air kills in Vietnam. Gee, what was the Air Force thinking. What if they had gotten hurt?

Sparky1329
10th January 2007, 17:01
Ageism is just one more form of discrimination like sexism and racism.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 20:53
Riebe, I think you would have had to put Yeager in Irons to keep him from flying... Your point is well taken.

I guess I just looked at it from the POV that having a 73 year old man driving a race car in the biggest race in NASCAR makes the other guys look like they are not working out there or something.

It is a story that could have a lot of negatives to it if he got hurt, or even if he doesn't get hurt. That said, it is a free country, and if he can do it, all power to him I guess. I just think it would be a easier for the PR people in NASCAR if it wasn't happening.....

V-8power
10th January 2007, 21:02
sad thing is he probly wont make the race

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 21:32
I suspect some in the head office in Daytona are hoping he doesn't....

RaceFanStan
11th January 2007, 01:02
There will be at least 50 drivers trying to make the Daytona 500.
There are only 43 starting spots, do the math ... :s hock:

James Hylton will be in a RCR Chevrolet but with a new team, I wouldn't build my hopes too high ... :s

tassiedevilAB
11th January 2007, 04:30
Stranger things have happened, he might supprise us all & get in the show!
But Nascar might not like him in there!
WHEN WILL HE BE TESTING AT DAYTONA!

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 00:10
if james hylton was able to race all the laps it would be big

Sparky1329
12th January 2007, 04:29
If NASCAR didn't think he could handle it they wouldn't let him race.

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 05:06
too many drivers make a race only to park after a few laps into the race
i agree james hylton should be able to handle it and i hope he does well

djarumdudley
12th January 2007, 05:43
Hylton likely can do it, but if he somehow makes show i see a start and park or perhaps a relief driver or somebody will buy his ride. he probably won't race in thru the Twins, but with Childress equipment Hylton could surprise some people and put up a good lap to get him in on speed. it would be similar to when Childress would lend Dave Marcis an engine and he'd lay down a fast one to make the race.

tstran17_88
13th January 2007, 17:41
Sparky, would that involve an Allis Chambers Tractor and a plough?Allis-Chalmers? Where the heck did you dig up a name like that? :laugh: The plant in West Allis is now a shopping mall and also a part of the MATC campus. They kind of faded into the sands of history after Duetz took them over.

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 20:02
Allis-Chalmers? Where the heck did you dig up a name like that? :laugh: The plant in West Allis is now a shopping mall and also a part of the MATC campus. They kind of faded into the sands of history after Duetz took them over.

It can't be *that* old. I still have an A-C 716 in my garage. It hasn't been used in a long time, but it's still there.

RaceFanStan
13th January 2007, 20:49
It can't be *that* old. I still have an A-C 716 in my garage. It hasn't been used in a long time, but it's still there.
Allis Chambers was at its height of sales & prosperity in the mid 60's ...
in the early & mid 60's it became a target for corporate takeovers ...
After having banner sales in the 70's, they stumbled in the early 80's ...
by mid 80's the company began dowsizing & the red ink continued ...
in 1985 they sold the agricultural equipment business to a West Germany company ...
late 80's thru early 90's Allis Chambers continued to downsize & sell it's interests ...
mid to late 90's the company got buried in red ink & bankruptcy was ineviable ...
January 30, 1999 - Allis Chalmers in Wisconsin closed it's doors :s

An American success story that had a terrific high only to to take a terrible fall. :(
The Allis Chalmers farm tractors are still considered some of the best produced.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 23:22
Allis-Chalmers? Where the heck did you dig up a name like that? :laugh: The plant in West Allis is now a shopping mall and also a part of the MATC campus. They kind of faded into the sands of history after Duetz took them over.

My late father-in-law had an Allis that has to be over 50 years old now. He used it at the trailer park he owned for all sorts of jobs. Summer trailers and tree's are not the best of friends when you are putting them in tight spots, and he used the Allis to move incoming and outgoing trailers. He used the PTO for digging holes, ploughing snow in the winter, grading the volleyball court on the beach, dredging the beach, ...you name it, he found ways to use that tractor. It is a wonderful old machine.

Stan is right, a shame about Allis being gone. Sounds very simliar to the mismanagement that wiped out Massey Ferguson, a Canadian tractor manufacturer with great products, and bad managers....

F1suxmoose
14th January 2007, 10:20
HELL YEAH!! That's a REAL man.
I want to see him win the Daytona 500.

F1suxmoose
14th January 2007, 14:27
James Hylton is not P.L. Newman.

He is better than newman!

tstran17_88
16th January 2007, 03:13
My late father-in-law had an Allis that has to be over 50 years old now. He used it at the trailer park he owned for all sorts of jobs. Summer trailers and tree's are not the best of friends when you are putting them in tight spots, and he used the Allis to move incoming and outgoing trailers. He used the PTO for digging holes, ploughing snow in the winter, grading the volleyball court on the beach, dredging the beach, ...you name it, he found ways to use that tractor. It is a wonderful old machine.

Stan is right, a shame about Allis being gone. Sounds very simliar to the mismanagement that wiped out Massey Ferguson, a Canadian tractor manufacturer with great products, and bad managers....M-F tractors were manufactured in Racine, WI also. AGCO still produces the M-F line, and ironically, the Allis-C line also, but under the AGCO brand name.

tstran17_88
16th January 2007, 03:16
Allis Chambers was at its height of sales & prosperity in the mid 60's ...
in the early & mid 60's it became a target for corporate takeovers ...
After having banner sales in the 70's, they stumbled in the early 80's ...
by mid 80's the company began dowsizing & the red ink continued ...
in 1985 they sold the agricultural equipment business to a West Germany company ...
late 80's thru early 90's Allis Chambers continued to downsize & sell it's interests ...
mid to late 90's the company got buried in red ink & bankruptcy was ineviable ...
January 30, 1999 - Allis Chalmers in Wisconsin closed it's doors :s

An American success story that had a terrific high only to to take a terrible fall. :(
The Allis Chalmers farm tractors are still considered some of the best produced.

Now you know the rest of the story.I think Allis-C was nothing more than an office and a warehouse selling service parts for most of the 90's until they closed...but I'm not 100% sure.

Sparky1329
17th January 2007, 04:39
"Odds are against Hylton, 72, but he's at Daytona, shooting for a spot in 500"

snippet:

Long after the big-budget NASCAR teams pulled into the Daytona garage, a bright yellow hauler – sans the logos and pricey paint scheme – navigated its way through the gate.

Perched behind the wheel of the big rig was 72-year-old James Hylton, his decades-old image on the side of the truck. He steered his way past Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth and the rest of today’s NASCAR stars to his assigned spot along the fence, then went to work unloading his car.

Yes, his car.

The 1966 Rookie of the Year is attempting a comeback of epic proportions, bringing a car to preseason testing Monday as he chases his long-shot dream of qualifying for next month’s Daytona 500.

“I am doing this for seniors to show that at 70 years old, you don’t have to go hunting for an old-folks home. You can go race for a little bit,” Hylton said. “A lot of the old drivers want to come out here and hang out in the pits and see if I can do it.”

The odds are stacked against Hylton, who made the first of his 15 Daytona 500 starts in 1966. But he’s not doing this because he foolishly thinks he can win the Super Bowl of NASCAR.

Rather, Hylton just wants a spot in the record books as the oldest driver to ever make a Cup race. He already holds the mark in both the Busch and ARCA Series, but is now focused on making it a trifecta. The Cup record of age 65 is shared by Hershel McGriff (Sonoma, 1993) and Jim Fitzgerald (Riverside, 1987).

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/sports/motorsports/nascar/races/daytona/16471203.htm

Mark in Oshawa
17th January 2007, 07:29
Well, he drives his own rig. How many other guys have a CDL?? I gotta give him credit for still chugging.

I still think he is nuts, but hey, go to it. It is NASCAR I think that hope he just gives it up or doens't make the show....

tassiedevilAB
17th January 2007, 23:40
heah Mark, give the guy his credit, he has come to show that age should not be a problem if all you reflexes are still as good as the superstars of Nascar. it's not his first time on Daytona so he does know is way around the oval.

I started my speedway driving at age 40 & raced with the best in my state & in australia, even though i was that age & most of them were 20 to 30 year olds when i challenged & beat some of them, that gave me great pleasure & i would say that Hylton feels the same way!

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2007, 05:37
Tassie, I guess my only worry is that the image of a senior citizen running in the "Superbowl" of NASCAR is not one you would want to cultivate as a rule. That said, I am against ageism and Hylton isn't a bad driver. So my posts blew back and forth, but in the end, He is a tough old guy and he has done enough racing to know what he is about. I feel better about him trying to make the show then some no hoper from Toronto that shows up at Indy every year for the 500. With the IRL as weak as it is, Marty Roth keeps getting in, and he has no business in there. Hylton deserves his shot, for I look at it as the shot Dave Marcis should get one more time. I was a HUGE Dave Marcis fan, and Hylton is from the same stuff...

As for you Tassie, you have any pics on line? Speedway racing in Oz, that like a sprint car or do they run a stock car on your ovals downunder?? Good on ya.

tassiedevilAB
18th January 2007, 14:27
You sure are going back & forth on this post, but a least you know it!

Hylton has done good in the tests, Iam sort of with you on the image side of things man,

My racing career sadly finished in 1995 because of a sciatic nerve problem in my right leg, So i had to hang my helmet up because i couldn't feel the excellarator so the med officer said that's it for you! Even though i am 54 now i still get the urge & i race around in a go-cart & give the testers a hurry up when i visit the Melbourne outdoor track, that is fun to me!

tassiedevilAB
18th January 2007, 15:02
also Mark , i can tell you that it was really hard for me not racing my foes anymore , we had so much fun racing on all the small & large speedways, week in week out!

About the classes they run here , THEY ARE much the same as over in the USA, wE EVEN GET YANKY DRIVERS RACING HERE in the sprinters & super sedans , think of the WoO DRIVERS they have a ball racing our guys in the big spinters, they win some & they loose some!

call_me_andrew
22nd January 2007, 00:10
I think the silver lining is that he's been at the bottom of the speed charts in testing.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 08:26
Andrew, it does prove that there is more to running Daytona than running flat out that is for sure. He has a good motor in that car, so he has to find the setup. I think where his age works against him is he may not understand the tweaking he may have to work at in these cup cars. Not that he doesn't have a huge volume of knowledge, but I have read at times how the newer setups are so fine that older drivers who are used to coarser cars are now having a hard time finding that sweet spot.