PDA

View Full Version : Great roads in south wales?

Allyc85
25th October 2007, 21:07
Got nowt to do on sunday so might go explore the welsh mountains again after a great drive back in February.

Anyone know of any great, quiet roads in the south?

Cheers

Rollo
26th October 2007, 00:58
Wales is such a pretty country that basically you can drive pretty well much anywhere for about 20 minutes and then be forced to stop by the brilliance of the landscape.

One of the great journeys in Wales is down the A470, which is the only through road from South-North and vice-versa-verse-viso. If you manage to get to somewhere like Y Bala, it's amazing the power of the Welsh countryside that simply yells silence at you.

Most roads in Wales are ace!

AndyRAC
26th October 2007, 09:01
Wales is such a pretty country that basically you can drive pretty well much anywhere for about 20 minutes and then be forced to stop by the brilliance of the landscape.

One of the great journeys in Wales is down the A470, which is the only through road from South-North and vice-versa-verse-viso. If you manage to get to somewhere like Y Bala, it's amazing the power of the Welsh countryside that simply yells silence at you.

Most roads in Wales are ace!

I'd agree, apart from when you get stuck behind tractors and/or Sunday-granny drivers, aaagggh!!! :mad:

Neil Adams
26th October 2007, 13:19
top gear magazine had a feature on driving roads a few months back, for the uk section half of them were in wales!

i did most of the ones featured in the mag in my 306, great fun, and yes the landscape is amazing! the loop around the rhayadar reserviors is very good

would also recommend the..
The Blat to Bala, (Shrewsbury to Bala) A458, A490, B4580, B4391
Snowdon Triangle, (Pentrefoelas - Denbigh - Cerrigydrudion) A543, B4501
Road to Ruthin (Cerrigydrudion to Ruthin) B5105

cheers

Drew
26th October 2007, 16:50
top gear magazine had a feature on driving roads a few months back, for the uk section half of them were in wales!

i did most of the ones featured in the mag in my 306, great fun, and yes the landscape is amazing! the loop around the rhayadar reserviors is very good

would also recommend the..
The Blat to Bala, (Shrewsbury to Bala) A458, A490, B4580, B4391
Snowdon Triangle, (Pentrefoelas - Denbigh - Cerrigydrudion) A543, B4501
Road to Ruthin (Cerrigydrudion to Ruthin) B5105

cheers

None of those are in South Wales though, they're all in the North :p :

Allyc85
27th October 2007, 19:47
aye I love going to wales for the WRC, that A470 road has some stunning scenery which I never get to stop for. Just gotta hope the rain holds off :(

Daniel
27th October 2007, 20:51
Yep the Snowdon triangle is lovely. Well worth the trip.

racing59
27th October 2007, 22:00
Mind the scamera vans!

Daniel
27th October 2007, 22:03
No real need to worry about them. There aren't as many as you think and they're never usually on the nice roads.

racing59
27th October 2007, 22:09
They do say, "Never expect the Spanish Inquisition, their chief weapon is surprise......"

Daniel
27th October 2007, 22:15
Yes but everyone expects speed cameras :)

Allyc85
27th October 2007, 22:40
lol would go snowdon but its 5 hours away. Maybe on a weekend away but not a day.

Daniel
27th October 2007, 23:00
Only about 40 or so minutes for me :)

Drew
28th October 2007, 02:45
Only about 40 or so minutes for me :)

I'm even luckier to be even 20minutes away or so from them ;) Maybe I should try one of these routes sometime :)

Allyc85
28th October 2007, 08:05
lucky buggers. Dartmoors only 40 minutes away from me but theres a 40mph speed limit and loose animals everywhere so its not that much fun.

Drew
28th October 2007, 13:25
lucky buggers. Dartmoors only 40 minutes away from me but theres a 40mph speed limit and loose animals everywhere so its not that much fun.

40MPH speed limit but, no speed cameras and no police. I wouldn't go there during the weekend, it'll probably be packed. Surely North Devon must be pretty good too?

How about Cheddar gorge in Somerset? I've never been, but I'm told it's pretty good.

Allyc85
28th October 2007, 15:15
lmao went to go to wales via there this morning but that was shut because of a fookin cycle race, I couldnt believe it!! Went to move on to wales but the weather got really bad n the car started misfiring a bit so turned home :(

MrJan
28th October 2007, 16:58
That road between Merthyr and Llywel is pretty sweet. Sadly the bikers have been ragging there for so long that the police are usually out somewhere.

Also remember to watch out for sheep, most of us have seen the mess they make of cars up on Epynt.

My brother says that cheddar gorge is a fantastic road so could be worth a try. Also could always head west and try north Cornwall, a lot of the roads are open so you can see what's ahead which is nice.

Drew
28th October 2007, 18:31
My brother says that cheddar gorge is a fantastic road so could be worth a try. Also could always head west and try north Cornwall, a lot of the roads are open so you can see what's ahead which is nice.

And because it's almost winter, there'll be no grockles :D

Allyc85
28th October 2007, 19:44
The start of Cheddar Gorge looked amazing this morning, very hilly and twisty il be up there again for sure!

You guys are coming up with some great ideas, I know what il be doing with the sundays coming up :D

MrJan
30th October 2007, 18:56
Dartmoor is great in theory but I've been scared a few times up there. The roads are so sweeping it's easy to start pushing but I've often come over a crest to see a sheep/ pony/ coach / sunday driver and had to bung the brakes on.

Last summer was going to Burrator Resevoir to go boating and have a BBQ. I wanted a few beers so didn't drive. What I didn't know was that the guy who would be driving only passed 2 weeks before and wasn't confident enough to go on the dual carriagway. Now there are certain roads I don't want to be on with a new driver, one of them has to be between Exeter and Moretonhampstead :eek: I sat in the front and have never been more scared in my life. Either the guy knew the width of his car really well or we were very close to an accident. For some reason he used to speed up for corners and I was s***ing myself. At one point we came over a hill and he bunged the brakes on so hard that they went all spongy and were struggling to stop. not good. Next time I'll drive :D

My most recent drive that can be done locally is a sort of Exeter circuit, you come across a few traffic lights but it's great fun at night when you can really put your foot down. (BTW it's not around the city centre so I'm not a total chav.

LilPeteMordino
4th December 2007, 20:07
Bit of a bump, But Epynt is generally a good bit of fun. Just watch out for the shooting if the army are out.

A470 Brecon way is pretty decent but has a fair few sunday drivers and tractors.

A40 is alright aswell for a shortish road but Im sure you can fit a route between A470-A40-A48-M4 and back round or miss the M4 and add ages onto your journey but try to find a route down the coast?