PDA

View Full Version : Jan Nillson

SEATFreak
24th October 2007, 09:34
It seems Jan Nillson of Flash Engineering doesn't have much to say about any of the "Big 4" tintops in Europe. The DTM, STCC, BTCC and WTCC.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/columns.php?id=2

Is is truly as bad as he rekons or is he startlingly telling the truth?

He said something nice about the DTM I admit. He said with a sillouhette racing it would take off. But he said Audi and Merc are the only marquees. But could that not be something I hear all the time? Running costs? He did say in his summary " - The DTM is a fantastic championship, but with too expensive cars."

But he wasn't that nice about the others. The STCC, WTCC and even us - the BTCC. Especially us!

His entire article was littered with frankly offensive comments about the standard of the tracks here. We have apparently "Speakers from before the war", "Pit garages from a Yunkyard" and "Holes in the tarmac that make you afraid to break your ankle". We also have "tracks that make Gellarasen look like Monaco". I don't know Gellerason but it must not be a nice track. But saying "I would have told Alan Gow I felt fooled paying so much to get in to watch that s**t" is bang out of order!

What do you guys rekon?

SEATFreak
24th October 2007, 10:52
I see I have started a lively debate. :uhoh:

MBailey06
24th October 2007, 13:06
I don't care what "Flash" Nilsson says. If he wants better/faster cars - go GT Racing. Just by going to one meeting, I don't feel he has the right to slag off a rival championship. The BTCC is not perfect by any means, but Alan Gow is in the process of rebuilding the championship to its former glory, which will take time.

BDunnell
24th October 2007, 13:24
Well, the BTCC seems perfectly good enough for the likes of multiple international champion Giovanardi, former BTCC champion Plato, multiple former BTCC champion Neal, Le Mans class winner Turner and so on. It isn't perfect, but it's damn good given the state it was in in 2000-01.

An obvious retort to Jan Nilsson is to say that if he reckons he could run it, and the circuits, any better, why doesn't he come and give it a try? Or does he perfer sniping from the sidelines?

SEATFreak
24th October 2007, 13:26
I don't care what "Flash" Nilsson says. If he wants better/faster cars - go GT Racing. Just by going to one meeting, I don't feel he has the right to slag off a rival championship. The BTCC is not perfect by any means, but Alan Gow is in the process of rebuilding the championship to its former glory, which will take time.

That is the thing that stood out for me. The fact he could make such assumptions based on one visit.

He is someone who won the STCC title in 96' and 97' and runs his own team, but does that qualify him to make assumptions based on one visit?

SEATFreak
24th October 2007, 13:27
Well, the BTCC seems perfectly good enough for the likes of multiple international champion Giovanardi, former BTCC champion Plato, multiple former BTCC champion Neal, Le Mans class winner Turner and so on. It isn't perfect, but it's damn good given the state it was in in 2000-01.

An obvious retort to Jan Nilsson is to say that if he reckons he could run it, and the circuits, any better, why doesn't he come and give it a try? Or does he perfer sniping from the sidelines?

Could agree more! :up:

BDunnell
24th October 2007, 13:28
That is the thing that stood out for me. The fact he could make such assumptions based on one visit.

He is someone who won the STCC title in 96' and 97' and runs his own team, but does that qualify him to make assumptions based on one visit?

Indeed. I don't think anyone ought to be too worried about what he says.

MBailey06
24th October 2007, 13:44
Also I think the BTCC suffered not just because of a change in management, but the introduction of the ETCC/WTCC. As a result, many manufacturers thought they would get more coverage from a more global series, and the BTCC was in decline from then. However it is amazing that from just the beginning of 2005 with 10 cars, that in just 2 years the number at the beginning was 26. As I said its not perfect but its being improved every year.

CroftPilgrim
24th October 2007, 13:45
Jan who?....... ;)

VkmSpouge
24th October 2007, 13:53
While I agree some of the British tracks could use improvements (and they are steadily being improved) and the promotion of the championship could be better, the quality of the racing, the teams and drivers is at least equal if not better than any other national touring car championship in Europe (save the DTM).
I do like the Super 2000 specification more than I do with the DTM rules (which are closer to GTs that touring cars) or silhouette racing (all the same car so variety). I think S2000 could be cheaper though.
I do agree with Nilsson that if the DTM were to find a cheaper but still speedy formula the WTCC would probably disappear, as all it would take would be for BMW or SEAT to leave.

SEATFreak
24th October 2007, 15:31
As I said its not perfect but its being improved every year.

A rumour mentioned elsewhere (below) of a third manufacturer surely proves that atleast the mechanics that put things into motion are moving in the right direction.

In Autosport Chilton says that there is a '3rd manufacturer set to come in' and "I'd like to be with them. I'm confident but nothing is signed. If it happens it will be very good. I've got a massive sponsor on the side, and if the works deal does not come off, I'll race with them."

I presume he is talking about the Arena Fords.....

tisme
24th October 2007, 18:50
Jan who?....... ;)
Nilsson!! Wasn't he a singer?

Steelrat
24th October 2007, 19:04
"Thruxton .... a track that makes the Swedish track Gelleråsen look like Monaco."

Yep....

"They have speakers from before the war"

Well, I'm deaf but even I can hear clearly what's being relayed. They serve their purpose. Looks ain't everything, as my wife never ceases to remind me.

"No screens to watch the race on"

Give him that. If more of the circuits that don't have 90% viewability had screens relaying the race I'd attend more of them. I know, I know, record it as well but how many times at a race have you said "what happened?" ...... Sometimes commentary isn't enough.

"a pit lane and paddock with holes in the tarmac that makes you afraid of breaking your ankle, pit garages that looks like a outhouse at a junkyard"

Can't really comment, but .... "Yer big Jessie".

"stands for 2% of the spectators"

Hmm, OK.

"entry lists in the support classes that reminds me of Swedish racing before 1995"

Gosh, Swedish racing must have been phenomenal before 1995.

"and BTCC teams that barely reach the standard of what the STCC teams have kept for many years."

Huh? Well, maybe 1 ... but .... Rose tinted glasses, anybody?

"If you then compare the drivers you quickly see that the top of the BTCC and the support classes keep very high standards, but after that - oh my god!"

Getting silly now.

"The fact that the organization only manage to get ca. 30.000 spectators in an area that has millions within 100 kilometers from the track only shows that the BTCC is at a dead end."

Plank! *I* think that 30k+ for a sport that verges on cult interest in this country is Very good. Although I'm sure AG wouldn't complain of larger ones.... crowds, that is ..

"I am ashamed for the championship when I am there, sadly. If I had met Alan Gow there and then, he would not liked me when I would have told him that we felt fooled going there and paying much money to get in for that ****."

I think of all sports events I attend the BTCC is a bargain, especially compared to a race day involving WTCC or DTM ... or a premiership match ... or Wimbledon ...... If he did say that to AG I hope he'd say something that sounds like 'cough' ....

"Frankie says: no more!"

Hmm, bet you don't say that when the pies are placed in front of you .....

P

racer69
25th October 2007, 08:42
I remember Jan from his visit to Australia in 1997, where he finished 5th in the Bathurst 1000 (in a Volvo of course)

Makes some points, just put them across rather poorly :)

MBailey06
25th October 2007, 08:59
His driving (looking at a clip on youtube from 1998) is not that dissimilar to the way Plato or Neal might drive. He drove into the side of his team mate and took off his bumper, and then drove in the side of another car, giving himself a puncture, and spinning himself out of the race. If his driving is similar to Plato or Neal, then I guess his tantrums would also, so I would ignore his comments about the standard of BTCC racing.

CroftPilgrim
25th October 2007, 10:17
Nilsson!! Wasn't he a singer?

:D :D :D :D

Well, he might make some points (albeit poorly) but if the BTCC had 100,000 people at each event all in grandstands, swish paddock facilites, cars that didn't make contact, on nice looking (but ultimately boring) circuits we'd have Formula 1. And that, quite frankly, is something to be avoided.

I think British circuits, for all ther shortcomings actually produce some of the best racing in the world. Why do you think the racing in the BTCC is far better than the WTCC?

Maybe he was turned down for a BTCC drive and has got the hump.....

Captain VXR
25th October 2007, 10:38
Well about spectater numbers - look at how many anti-car 'greens' there are in the UK compared to Sweden and the fact Britain is diluted by many sports

Jimmy Magnusson
25th October 2007, 11:57
His driving (looking at a clip on youtube from 1998) is not that dissimilar to the way Plato or Neal might drive. He drove into the side of his team mate and took off his bumper, and then drove in the side of another car, giving himself a puncture, and spinning himself out of the race. If his driving is similar to Plato or Neal, then I guess his tantrums would also, so I would ignore his comments about the standard of BTCC racing.

Pretty much spot on on the Plato comparision mate :)

Some good points but lots of very strange ones. I fail to see how new rules for the DTM will kill off the WTCC, but the BTCC rant?
The BTCC support races are absolutely superb, unlike the ones in Sweden where you have one semi-strong championship (Carrera Cup), a club series (Radical), Superbikes (which is working, but not very exciting) and a dying Junior championship (10 cars!). Too bad that Camaro Cup isn't attending more races, they're great. BTCC has probably the best support package of all series, and STCC among the worst.

BDunnell
25th October 2007, 13:02
Maybe he was turned down for a BTCC drive and has got the hump.....

As I recall, he was rumoured to be in the running for a Volvo drive some years ago, but it went to either Gianni Morbidelli or Vincent Radermecker (I forget whether it was in 1998 or '99, you see). I'm sure Iain would recall this if I'm right.

AlexD
25th October 2007, 14:26
Looking at that 1998 clip, I'm glad is isn't driving here. He makes Plato and Neal look like perfectly fair, nice drivers. Maybe he should concentrate on winning his home championship after ten years.

SEATFreak
25th October 2007, 16:01
The BTCC support races are absolutely superb.....BTCC has probably the best support package of all series.

The Clios I am amazed by, but a very important part of my beloved SEATSportUK is the SEAT Cupra Championship.

I think it is a big part of the talent search. Ask Mark Turner at the start of next season about what he thinks about the SCC.

Both Rob Huff and James Pickford both graduated from the SCC to SEATSport before going to other things, and at the end they all atleast get to test a works SEAT. Carl Breeze, Mat Jackson, Tom Ferrier and Tom Boardman did in 2005 I know.
But it is also very good and fair to the competitors in terms of most things I think. Like for winning the Leon Cupra class the driver wins £80k and £20k in SEATSport UK credit and the winner of the Leon Cupra R class wins a new Leon Cupra R roadcar.

Caroline
25th October 2007, 17:46
The Clios I am amazed by......

In a good way or a bad way? The Clios were always a bit of a crashfest to me and although entertaining at times, not the best to watch if you wanted to catch some racing.

SEATFreak
25th October 2007, 18:02
Good. Of course. They appear fast but I admit it ain't the most entertaining of you want good sound skilful driving.