PDA

View Full Version : VW returns to WRC with the Scirocco

RallyCat909
24th October 2007, 01:57
Motorsport News today (11 April 2007) reports:
'Volkswagen is planning to build a World Rally Car based around its Scirocco sports coupe.

A source within the World Rally Championship told Motorsport News the German firm is planning to ditch its rally raid programme in favour of a WRC assault which could break cover next year.

Although VW has achieved success in the World Cup for Cross Country Rallies winning the drivers' and teams' titles in 2005 the firm has yet to take victory on the flagship Dakar Rally despite a multi-million pound outlay.

It is understood that the company's disastrous Dakar campaign in January has triggered the idea to switch to a WRC project.

VW revealed the Iroc concept car at the Berlin motor show last summer as a possible replacement for the Scirocco which ceased production in the early 1990s.

The car is 1800mm wide - the same as Citroen's standard-setting C4 WRC - and 4240mm long compared to the C4's 4274mm.

Kenneth Eriksson scored VW's only WRC win on the Ivory Coast Rally in 1987.'

Helstar
24th October 2007, 02:26
Uhm. I don't know. Is the source trustworthy ? VW is (was ?) in already with Skoda brand, this rumour doesn't sound clear at all.
But hey if it's true, better. More cars, more drivers, we need them :p

A.F.F.
24th October 2007, 07:37
I heard Rolls-Royce has similar plans. I think we have best years in rallying ahead. Seriously :dozey:

Woodeye
24th October 2007, 07:38
Sounds too good to be true. :erm:

Would be amazing looking car though:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/pics/vw_scirocco.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/vw_scirocco.html&h=600&w=800&sz=66&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=ls5CowGDp5xxcM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DVW%2BScirocco%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

Josti
24th October 2007, 08:02
Well, the news that VW would quit their Raid-project was floating around for a while. Then I see no other logic transition then go to the WRC. I didn't expect a plan for a World Rally Car. I thought they would develop in S2000.

Great news, but indeed, we have to wait for some confirmation.

jonkka
24th October 2007, 08:36
Again, I will believe it when I see it happening. The car in picture is butt-ugly though.

AndyRAC
24th October 2007, 08:57
Again, I will believe it when I see it happening. The car in picture is butt-ugly though.

The more the merrier, but I'll believe it when I see it, not sure I trust WRC sources.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 09:28
Car is fugly (looks like an Audi)

Tigger9232
24th October 2007, 09:56

Today 11th April ????
:D

Donney
24th October 2007, 09:59
That'd be so gooood, but.... I won't believe until I see the car starting its first rally.

(I hope it is true though)

Josti
24th October 2007, 10:37
Today 11th April ????

That reminds me. Didn't we get this news earlier?! After that, never heared of it again :\

I hope RallyCat is up to date here...

jonkka
24th October 2007, 12:19
Today 11th April ????

He-hee! Proves how well I read the 1st post... :eek:

Daniel
24th October 2007, 12:22
Same here :p

J4MIE
24th October 2007, 12:31
I think with the proposed changes to the WRC in 2009 and on, it would be silly to start developing a WRCar now if the cars regulations will change after not a long time :s

Suzuki are just about in time.

koko0703
24th October 2007, 15:25
I think with the proposed changes to the WRC in 2009 and on, it would be silly to start developing a WRCar now if the cars regulations will change after not a long time :s

Suzuki are just about in time.

Absolutely!!! Why would anybody wanna develop a WRCar when the futur isn't yet clear at all.

feresc13
24th October 2007, 21:04
I heared a rumour like this some months ago, but if VW is interesting on a WRC, why they don't get involved in the development of the Polo S2000?

Specially considering that the car isn't bad and they could get a lot of information. Last week, in Spain, until the last stage of the Costa Brava Rally, Hevia was the virtual spanish champion with the Polo, but in last stage the car failed and became champion Fuster with a Punto S2000.

RallyCat909
25th October 2007, 00:53
Sorry guys, I was all happy about the news and didnt check the date. My bad. :D

JAM
25th October 2007, 09:44
I heared a rumour like this some months ago, but if VW is interesting on a WRC, why they don't get involved in the development of the Polo S2000?

They already have the Skoda Fabia S2000.

Tom206wrc
25th October 2007, 11:51
That'd be so gooood, but.... I won't believe until I see the car starting its first rally.

(I hope it is true though)

That means that even if the VAG Chairman announced the news as official during a Motorshow you wouldn't believe it until the car is at the start of the stage ??? :laugh:

Roy
25th October 2007, 12:07

VW Group is invest allready in Polo S2000. The Fabia is only paper work. I doubt Skoda steps into S2000, since there is nothing more known than a computerimage of the car.

feresc13
25th October 2007, 14:12
VW Group is invest allready in Polo S2000. The Fabia is only paper work. I doubt Skoda steps into S2000, since there is nothing more known than a computerimage of the car.

As far as I know, the Polo S2000 is being developed in South Africa, not for Volkswagen as a works team as like the 207 or the Punto.

I think as you, the Fabia S2000 should had its debut last Barum rally, since then any more images have been delivered, so for me that project is in a dead street.

jonkka
25th October 2007, 14:29

So? PSA had both Citroen and Peugeot in WRC at the same time.

wroom
25th October 2007, 18:09
'Volkswagen is planning to build a World Rally Car based around its Scirocco sports coupe.
'

If the VW group was so serious about WRC, they'd probably stop shooting down all their WRC attempts.. like Seat and Skoda. Since the glorious Audi times, they've played with the idea far too many times and mainly left a lot of people disappointed and a lot of drivers without a seat ;)

I'll believe when they've raced on the highest level for three years running.

L5->R5/CR
25th October 2007, 18:32
If the VW group was so serious about WRC, they'd probably stop shooting down all their WRC attempts.. like Seat and Skoda. Since the glorious Audi times, they've played with the idea far too many times and mainly left a lot of people disappointed and a lot of drivers without a seat ;)

I'll believe when they've raced on the highest level for three years running.

My source says they are pretty happy with the Rally Raid program and will only abandon it if a challenger doesn't make itself evident by 2010. With that said the program has to be approved each year for its funding but right now nobody forsees any reason to stop before then (they are in fact considering expanding the concept and possibly the evolution of the vehicle to include events like the Baja 1000).

alleskids
25th October 2007, 18:34
VW has done the Baja 500 this summer. Is Volkswagen a player on the American car market?

A.F.F.
25th October 2007, 19:37
VW was involved while glorious Audi days occured. Wasn't that group-A Golf factory supported ?

Josti
25th October 2007, 19:39
VW was involved while glorious Audi days occured. Wasn't that group-A Golf factory supported ?

Yes, I think from 1983 (maybe 1984) till 1987 it was factory supported. And their was that attempt in 1990 with the G60 Rallye.

L5->R5/CR
25th October 2007, 21:05
VW has done the Baja 500 this summer. Is Volkswagen a player on the American car market?

Yes (they entered the 500).

VWoA used two Dakar spec Race Touareg2s for the Baja 500. They were leading for a while but Baja is not Dakar, with only 22" of suspension travel and 300 hp the Dakar Spec Touaregs were out of their element and gave way to the ProTrucks with more suspension travel (29" IRC) once it got into the really rough stuff.

As for the 1,000, VW has a sizable presence in the Baja 1000 as many teams utilize VW power plants or chassis (I don't believe there will be a factory entry in the trophy truck class this year). In terms of the overall US car market VW is in a stagnant position and is desperately trying to re-invent and re-energize its US operations, going so far as to go through a complete restructure and relocation of its US corporate operations.