PDA

View Full Version : SEAT confirmed

Dickie L'Amour
3rd January 2007, 17:37
Good to see on btcc.net that SEAT have now officially committed. Plato confirmed to drive one car with his team-mate being probably announced at the show I bet. Those SEATs will take some beating, already being in S2000 trim, but I wouldn't put it past Dynamics, WSR and Vauxhall and a few others to get to grips with things pretty quickly.

MBailey06
3rd January 2007, 19:43
In 2005, SEAT were the only team of the big 3 to keep the car they had as VXR went to the new Astra and TD went to the Integra, but SEAT didn't win a round until round 10.

LiamM
3rd January 2007, 19:56
In 2005, SEAT were the only team of the big 3 to keep the car they had as VXR went to the new Astra and TD went to the Integra, but SEAT didn't win a round until round 10.

Saying that Vauxhall and TD were still working with regulations that they have previous experience of, and could design solutions around problems they have discovered with previous cars (respectivity).

At the minute SEAT are the only big team with a race winning car - until TD actually tell us what they are using. So they early money has to go on SEAT

Radders
3rd January 2007, 21:16
The boys are back in town - welcome home to my boys

SEATFreak
4th January 2007, 10:19

Is your point that changing to a new car can actully prove benificial in terms of winning races?

Because as we all know in the first three rounds of 2005 at Donnington all three were won by a car making it's maiden appearance. Race 1 and 3 won by the Integra of Neal and Race 2 was won by the Astra Sport Hatch of Muller.
And agin as we know in the first three rounds of last season, yet again we saw all three won by a car making it's maiden appearance (The Leon). Races 1 and 2 won by Thommo and Race 3 by Jase'.

nicemms
4th January 2007, 14:59
I expect Seat will be quietly confident because they have already got a S2000 spec car. I hope Thommo is the second driver.

LiamM
4th January 2007, 17:30
And agin as we know in the first three rounds of last season, yet again we saw all three won by a car making it's maiden appearance (The Leon). Races 1 and 2 won by Thommo and Race 3 by Jase'.

The car wasn'y fresh out of the box tho, it'd had already been raced (and won) in the WTCC

Hazell B
4th January 2007, 20:41
The boys are back in town - welcome home to my boys

I've still got last year's fiver here for you. Fancy another round of SEAT v VXR? Usual terms and conditions.

You'll win, but I live in hope :p :

I think Plato's going to win the championship in 07. The car's just so good, and once the team get sorted who's racing what and how much they're helping each other, they'll be unbeatable. Yes it goes against my Vauxhall fan instinct, but it's what I can see happening.

LiamM
4th January 2007, 22:18
I've just got a feeling it'll be Turner rather than Thompson - nothing more, but we'll see soon

Radders
4th January 2007, 22:34
I've still got last year's fiver here for you. Fancy another round of SEAT v VXR? Usual terms and conditions.

You'll win, but I live in hope :p :

I think Plato's going to win the championship in 07. The car's just so good, and once the team get sorted who's racing what and how much they're helping each other, they'll be unbeatable. Yes it goes against my Vauxhall fan instinct, but it's what I can see happening.

You thieving lil' git! To be honest I'd forgotten that... I want to see the colour of your money before I go committing to another bet. Actually no I reckon it's the same manky fiver I gave you at the end of 2005!

You're on.

Winchester
5th January 2007, 00:09
I reckon it will be Turner. Don't think Thommo will play second fiddle to Plato over a whole season.

tyreman2
5th January 2007, 00:17
Thommo has said he don't wanna do BTCC
In Todays MN says he will definatly be in WTCC

suzy m
5th January 2007, 15:55
I reckon it will be Turner.

Could be. Or it could be one of the drivers they tested a few months back.

cookingfat
6th January 2007, 00:22
Thommo has said he don't wanna do BTCC
In Todays MN says he will definatly be in WTCC

My Aunt Sally says that Piglet will be racing in the WTCC for an Alfa team!

m0rk
6th January 2007, 11:08
Could be. Or it could be one of the drivers they tested a few months back.

Like last year they did 'public' tests - where they tested the Cupra Championship top 4, but also held more secretive tests... where DT got tested.

The SEAT Sport wagon was spotted coming back from 'Wales' ish recently on my forum.... perhaps from other testing? Given they wouldn't be able to use their usual haunt of Rockingham after it's inclusion in 2007.

Speculation.... can't wait til Thursday so we don't need to guess any more!

jonv
6th January 2007, 11:20
Darren Turner is listed as a BTCC driver attending the Autosport show. My guess is he will be announced there.

m0rk
6th January 2007, 12:33
That would be good news if he can get a clear run at things & have a bit of luck

Ian McC
6th January 2007, 12:40
Well I hope they don't split the drive again, would like to see the second person being able to challenge for the title.

MBailey06
6th January 2007, 13:06
If it does go to Turner, then I wonder where that would leave Mat Jackson, because in my opinion he is ready for the BTCC after his dominant performance in the SEATs last year.

Ian McC
6th January 2007, 13:26
It is the old story of a lot of drivers for a limited amount of drives, there are a lot of old favs we would like to see back and a lot of new drivers we would like to see given a chance.

m0rk
6th January 2007, 21:31
I'm sure that although Mat is a good driver (he's been in BTCC before now IIRC)

he would need to bring a fair bit of cash to the table for a works drive. I think there's better 'pro' drivers out there - so more than likely he'd be in an inde car

Mind you Tom was a Cupra Champion & went to spain for a year to run in Super Copa's as he couldn't afford BTCC.... and I think he's back in SCC for 2007....

Hazell B
7th January 2007, 19:48
You thieving lil' git! To be honest I'd forgotten that... I want to see the colour of your money before I go committing to another bet. Actually no I reckon it's the same manky fiver I gave you at the end of 2005!

You're on.

As it happens, it is that same manky fiver from two years ago. It's so tatty I've never dared spend it :p :

It's framed and ready to be handed back - much like The Ashes :mark:

BTCC2
7th January 2007, 22:31
Well Matt has already had works drives with Mazda in 1994, Peugeot in 2001, Vauxhall in 2002 and Honda in 2003 before going back to Team Dynamics.

tyreman2
7th January 2007, 22:54
If it does go to Turner, then I wonder where that would leave Mat Jackson, because in my opinion he is ready for the BTCC after his dominant performance in the SEATs last year.

I don't think winning the Cupra championship warrants a "works" drive,but definately a place in a top Independant car,unfortunately talent alone is not enough(and before anybody commments neither is the 100k prize money)
Reading between the lines of Scot Dennis's comments they won't risk a part time driver situation in 2007,It MUST be Turner!!

Captain VXR
8th January 2007, 12:27
Perhaps Matt Jackson can get a drive at Motorbase?

8th January 2007, 13:50
I think it will be Darren Turner. Having looked at the drivers that are going to be at the NEC this weekend he is there but no other possible suspects so I expect to see an annoucnement from Seat at the show that Darren is going to do the whole season with them in 2007

Captain VXR
8th January 2007, 14:17
Your guess seems correct

LiamM
8th January 2007, 14:24
At the end of the season didnt Scott Dennis say that he wanted to give Turner a proper run for the team, as they had a lot of problems with his car last year and he didnt deserve it

Dickie L'Amour
8th January 2007, 15:06
Think that was referring specifically to the Silverstone meeting which Turner hadn't originally been scheduled to do but he'd had such a c rap time at Brands three weeks before SEAT gave him a sixth outing. Thompson was always meant to do Silverstone but switched to his WTCC car to accomodate Turner in the UK car.

racer77
8th January 2007, 19:26
Not so sure it will be Turner could be wrong my understanding from inside the Aston Martin camp is that he will have an increased programme with them full ALMS campaign and as they are planning full works assault on LMES aswell he is an obvious choice there plus im pretty sure he gets paid a lot lot more by Aston than SEAT will pay. It will almost certainly be Thommo

Alfa Fan
8th January 2007, 19:40
Plato & Thompson would be a really strong line-up.

Funks
8th January 2007, 20:02
Not so sure it will be Turner could be wrong my understanding from inside the Aston Martin camp is that he will have an increased programme with them full ALMS campaign and as they are planning full works assault on LMES aswell he is an obvious choice there plus im pretty sure he gets paid a lot lot more by Aston than SEAT will pay. It will almost certainly be Thommo

Full works Astons in ALMS & LMES? That would be a very unusual and an expensive campaign for them.
Turner hasn't actually been the greatest performing driver in the DBR9 (there have been a few mistakes on his part) - I was expecting him to go full time at SEAT this year.
Anyhow, whatever, we'll know soon I suppose. If there is truth in your Aston doing both ALMS & LMES seasons then I am a happy chappy!

cookingfat
9th January 2007, 15:10
Plato & Thompson would be a really strong line-up.

That would be an un-beatable line-up... But we know Seat!

So it will be Plato and Turner guaranteed!

m0rk
9th January 2007, 22:07
That would be an un-beatable line-up... But we know Seat!

You've lost me there?

you know SEAT?

ade t
9th January 2007, 22:11
plato is yes tommo is maybe and turner as far as i was awere he was told at final meet of 06 he was free to look at other drives

suzy m
10th January 2007, 23:56
It's Turner.

If you go to the SEAT Sport UK website they have their 2007 drivers listed. http://www.seatsportuk.co.uk/BTCC/2007_driverprofiles.asp

cos
11th January 2007, 00:06
It's Turner.

If you go to the SEAT Sport UK website they have their 2007 drivers listed. http://www.seatsportuk.co.uk/BTCC/2007_driverprofiles.asp

Good find! Should have seen it coming when both Plato and Turner were listed as attendees for all 4 days of Autosport though...

LiamM
11th January 2007, 00:34
That was a bit premature by the SEAT Sport website!

cpearson
11th January 2007, 08:56
http://www.seatsportuk.co.uk/sport/

glad they have given him the chance.

Ian McC
11th January 2007, 09:12
Good stuff :D

Rusty
11th January 2007, 10:23
Can wait for that now WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!

taffy
11th January 2007, 10:37
Great news, he did a good job in the few races he took part in last season.

11th January 2007, 12:30
For once I got something right :D I'm pleased that Darren is doing a full season with Seat, he proved how good he was when the car didn't let him down, so I'm sure that as the season progresses we will be seeing lots of Seat 1-2s

SEATFreak
11th January 2007, 13:46
Let's not jump the gun and keep feet firmly in reality. It is a dream of mine that I see the guys control the BTCC with the power VXR did from about 2000 all the way to the end of 2004 and I was extatic for him (Darren) when he did well.

But I feel just because we in the SEAT camp (pit-crew, drivers and fans alike) had everything in place for next season back at the start of last season doesn't mean we will walk it.

There will be a lot of hard work as always if TD's Civic's, VXR's Vectra's and Team RAC's BMW's (all untested cars at race level) surprise the team by doing well.
But if we get of to a great start I see no reason why we can atleast build hopes. :up:

Ur not a salmon
11th January 2007, 13:53
There will be a lot of hard work as always if TD's Civic's, VXR's Vectra's and Team RAC's BMW's (all untested cars at race level) surprise the team by doing well.
But if we get of to a great start I see no reason why we can atleast build hopes. :up:

The BMWs have been racing for a year in the WTCC. Hardly untried!

And what's all this 'we' business?

VkmSpouge
11th January 2007, 14:16
I think Turner earned the drive with SEAT after last season. Good luck to him for this year.

Robinho
11th January 2007, 15:25
i wonder if Seat will give priority to Plato this season, as from what i saw last year Turner certainly has the abilty to push him all the way for the title now he's been given a full season

SEATFreak
11th January 2007, 15:33
The BMWs have been racing for a year in the WTCC. Hardly untried!

Don't you start on me. I did ask in the BTCC 2006 rumours thread but have had problems with my modem. I would have thought you would have realised that.

[quote="Ur not a salmon":2kfe63xf]And what's all this 'we' business?[/quote:2kfe63xf]

What team to you support if any and as a fan of the team do you not consider a fan part of it?

I think support is every bit as important, even though they do not actually have a hand in the running of the team.

cookingfat
11th January 2007, 23:15

You heard it here first!!!!

m0rk
13th January 2007, 19:29
i wonder if Seat will give priority to Plato this season, as from what i saw last year Turner certainly has the abilty to push him all the way for the title now he's been given a full season

On thursday he said the rules were not to take each other off....

SEATFreak
14th January 2007, 10:35

I don't see why they wouldn't. Whether Jase' is in his contracts final year or not, my personal feeling is that fact will not affect how much SEAT work toward getting Jase his second BTCC Drivers Title. :up: :)

As far as Turner is concerned I hope they allow him to exercise his abilities and push Jase all the way to the title.