PDA

View Full Version : F1 2007 - a summarizing questionnaire

jens
23rd October 2007, 22:49
So the season is over and it's time to make some conclusions. What are forumers' thoughts after the season?

1. Biggest positive surprises of the season? (you may mention teams, drivers and any other F1-related events)

2. Biggest negative surprises of the season? (teams, drivers, other)

3. Which was the most interesting race of the season?

4. Which was the most boring race of the season?

5. Who or what would you like to highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention?

6. Are you satisfied with the season and what could or should have been different in your opinion?

7. What differences do you you wait from 2008 season compared to 2007?

8. What was in your opinion in 2007 better/worse than in 2006?

Hopefully all the questions are understandable. One suggestion - please copy the questions into your post in front of your answer, so it would be more convenient for others to read the posts. :)

FIA
23rd October 2007, 23:20
So the season is over and it's time to make some conclusions. What are forumers' thoughts after the season?

1. Biggest positive surprises of the season? (you may mention teams, drivers and any other F1-related events)

5. Who or what would you like to highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention?

6. Are you satisfied with the season and what could or should have been different in your opinion?

7. What differences do you wait from 2008 season compared to 2007?

1. All Rookies (Hamilton, Kovalainen, Sutil, Kubica & Vettel) making names for themselves.

2. Fernando Alonso's greed for the championship.

3. Montreal or Fuji tested drivers skills.

4. All were good, so I can't comment.

5. Heikki Kovalainen.

6. All the politics got in the way.

7. A more clean and fair championship.

8. The competition was better, but behind the scenes was worst.

Storm
23rd October 2007, 23:21
1. Biggest surprises of the season? - Hamilton beating Alonso and Massa almost doing the same to Kimi...Although I don't know if this is a positive surprise as I am not a fan of either (I am of both Fernando and Kimi)

2. Biggest negative surprises of the season? - Too much hype about another English driver....at least this guy hast the talent + results.

Brasil - a roller coaster not because of the racing but the drama involved

Quite a few to be honest....season was close but none of the races were very closely fought.

BMW - they did pretty well but hardly get talked about

Well, I would have liked to see Alonso do his hat-trick but happy that Kimi got his first title..

Closer racing at the top, more races where we don't know who is winning and the last few laps being exciting rather than just having a season which appears to be close (like 07)...of course more overtaking!

No MS around.....I felt that this season would lack a bit of star power and even I could not muster enough interest till the season started (till he was around there was always 1 guy you would root against!)

No JPM..being a Juan Pablo fan was another reason for my lack of interest in the first half of the season.

I feel though Hamilton has filled some of the gap and Kimi and Alonso are well on their ways to become really great champions.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd October 2007, 23:23
1. Biggest positive surprises of the season? (you may mention teams, drivers and any other F1-related events) How exciting it was

Alonso/McLaren dispute, closely followed by Honda's skip/car

Nurbergring

Spain

5. Who or what would you like to highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention? Rosberg

6. Are you satisfied with the season and what could or should have been different in your opinion? More overtaking is always welcome

7. What differences do you you wait from 2008 season compared to 2007? More overtaking is always welcome, Button to have a fast car. More than just 2 teams capable of winning.

8. What was in your opinion in 2007 better/worse than in 2006? Far better in 2007. Far more entertaining on and off the track.

K-Pu
24th October 2007, 00:36

Hopefully all the questions are understandable. One suggestion - please copy the questions into your post in front of your answer, so it would be more convenient for others to read the posts. :)

1.- Super Aguri and Toro Rosso scoring points

2.- McLaren. But mainly Hamilton.

3.- Brazil or Canada

4.- Spain

5.- Nico Rosberg

6.- Dissatisfied with the season, but some races were good enough.

7.- More OVERTAKING. Less POLITICS

8.- Worse. Things should be decided on the track.

jso1985
24th October 2007, 00:36
Hamilton, until he started the whinning contest with Alonso

The whole cheating saga

Europe

USA

Heikki Kovalainen and Vettel

With less politics it would have been better

BMW and Renault to be able to fight with Ferrari and McLaren

The races were better IMO

Hawkmoon
24th October 2007, 03:52
A 4 way title fight for much of the season and the performances of Super Aguri and Vettel

Stepney-gate

Nurburgring

Spain and Monaco

The gradual improvement of Torro Rosso

Tyre rules and qualifying need tweaking, rev limited engines have to go but the season was good as a whole

Less off-track drama, though a little bit can be fun

The title fight and the overall competitiveness of the season

Cozzie
24th October 2007, 05:49

1. Lewis Hamilton and the good he has done for the sport. He has brought it to a whole new audience!

2. The stewards decision not to disqualify Williams and BMW in Brazil, thus giving the championship to the wrong man!!!

3. Fuji or the Nurburgring, both wet and you had no idea what was going to happen next.

4. Britain and France were both easy Ferrari wins, there was not enough good, gritty racing.

5. The capabilities of Anthony Davidson, who remember is only a rookie and a damn good one at that.

6. I'm not satisfied with the season, the championship was not won fairly.

7. Consistency in the FIA decisions (come on $100 million fine for McLaren when it wasn't clear they had violated the rules yet the Williams and BMW cars get off scott-free and Lewis loses the title.

8. 2006 had a better finish. At least the man who took the title was the best driver all season.

rohanweb
24th October 2007, 06:11

1) Lewis hamilton's drive against those F1's expereinced and highly rated drivers

2) Ferrari's perfect inside job on bringing thier main rival to its knees by the perfectly made-up data steal case..& real Fernando's attitude.

3) Montreal

4) cant say..all were good races i think

5) no camera was showing flavio briatore during races ;)

6) not really.. seen enough backdoor politics

7) a fair championship ( bring on pro drive also)

8)breath of fresh air by the arrival of Lewis Hamilton / Ferrari tacticts,FIA politics

ShiftingGears
24th October 2007, 07:53
Resurgence of McLaren as a championship contender.
Hamilton's brilliance in his rookie year.

Stepneygate
Fuji or Nurburgring
Spain/Hungary
Webber
Yeah, although if there was no title battle it'd be boring. The regulations need to be changed so that the aero is reduced and braking distances made longer. OR relax the regulations a lot so that teams can innovate in different areas so that differences between cars are more significant. At the moment theres an awkward compromise between the two that doesn't make the racing better at all.
No traction control! And hopefully a reliable and fast car for Webber...
Better I guess - both had their share of good and bad races. Interlagos for me is the only circuit that has produced great dry races from both 2006 and 2007.

Viktory
24th October 2007, 10:43
1. Biggest positive surprises of the season?
We had a four way battle for the WDC in the beginning, then a three way battle. Very exciting.

McLaren and the spying scandal

Brazil

Monaco, unfortunately

Williams and Rosberg. They did an awesome job all season, they didn't drop off as development moved on either.

Yes, I just hope that off-track drama like this year does not repeat.

Less off-track drama

better:
Ferrari WDC and WCC again through on track performance.
Sole tyre supplier
Close championship
Many proper rain races

Worse:
Spying scandal
McLaren's whining (especially with the cool fuel saga)

jens
24th October 2007, 11:09
Teams: For me it was Williams. The last couple of seasons created an impression that they are seriously going to struggling, but kudos to them that they have managed to make a comeback! :up:
Drivers: Probably there is no way avoiding Hamilton - wouldn't have believed that he would score the same amount of points as Alonso. Also Rosberg - he has developed into a lot better driver than in 2006.
Other: More rain races than in previous years. Top3 drivers only within one point by the end of the year.

Teams: I expected a lot more from Renault - I thought such a professional team would overcome the switch to B-stones easier. Honda was poor too, but this wasn't such a big surprise for me to be honest.
Drivers: Maybe Fisichella in the second half of the season.
Other: Too much politics, judicial processes and scandals (including espionage and bad relationship between FA-RD).

These days only safety cars and rain can create some mess, so the obvious choices are Canada, Europe, Japan and China.

Hard to say. Several races lacked of entertainment.

Kubica, Kovalainen, also Davidson (yeah, I used to be critical about him, now I think he's underrated).

Hmm. Would have preferred Hamilton winning the WDC, but in the end never mind - he's young and will get plenty of opportunities.
And of course Toyota has always room for being better...

Less politics.
BMW-Sauber in title contention.

Better: Most of the team-mate battles were close.
Worse: Other teams behind the first two got less chances to shine.

Ranger
24th October 2007, 12:52
Great thread IMO. :up:

Kimi winning the title from 26 points behind. :up:

Stepney-gate, McLaren in general were appalling this season. Honda too.

3. Which was the most interesting race of the season? Fuji, then Nurburgring. In the dry it was Canada then Brazil (both great entertainment) :up:

4. Which was the most boring race of the season?It'd be hard to go past Spain. Or Monaco.

No idea.

Less bull**** off track. Tyre war would have been good for more variety. Engine restrictions could be lifted.

An unexpected winner, less happenings off track and more on-track.

I would've liked to have seen an unexpected winner (like Button in Hungary). Best chance was in Fuji, hence my annoyance. :mad:

Although it was a pretty good year in F1, it was also pretty tumultuous... I'm glad to see its end.

akv89
24th October 2007, 16:24
BMW and Hamilton

Honda

Interlagos

I wouldn't remember it if it was boring.

Nick Heidfeld, hopefully BMW can continue their success and provide him with a race-winning car next year.

I am satisfied with the way it ended, since both my currently favorite driver and favorite team are champions. It would have obviously been better without the controversy involving the Ferrari documents.

I'm waiting for Alonso to go back to Renault, and for Renault to again provide him with a very good car.

The competition was better, the controversy was worse.

Ent
24th October 2007, 16:59
1. Biggest positive? Kimi winning, plus the battle between teams further down the order and some of the new drivers. Bodes well for the future.

2. Biggest negative surprise? The FIA vs McLaren and the complete inconsistency of the applying of the rules. Disgraceful.

3. Which was the most interesting? Barzil.

4. Which was the most boring race? I don't remember, so it must have been bad.

5. Who or what would you like to highlight? Kimi's hard work and never giving up. Webber's improvement (if only he had the reliabilty). Vettel. Super Aguri's great fight considering where they really should be on the grid.

6. Are you satisfied with the season? Yes and no. Some of the racing was excellent, but the off-track and the rule application this season has been horrible. I don't want this rubbish, I just want fair racing.

7. What differences do you you wait from 2008? No off-track controversy.

8. What was in your opinion better/worse? Racing was so, so much better. A shame the distractions, court cases and public ridicule took so much away from it.

aryan
24th October 2007, 20:36

Hamilton

2. Biggest negative surprises of the season?

I. Stepney gate
II. Honda

I. Fuji
II. Nurburgring

Spa

I.Sutil
II. Williams

Very satisfied. Couldn't have asked for more entertainment. Minus the stepney-gate saga though.

More closer racing, and hopefully a full (24 car) grid.

Much better than 2006 (which was a decent year in itself). I was worried that JPM, Villenveuve and Schumacher all leaving at the same time might rub the sport of personality and talent, but Vettel, Sutil, Kubica, Kovaleinen and Hamilton proved me wrong.

The young guys were awesome this year.

Rosberg --> Wurz
Sutil --> Albers
Hamilton --> Alonso
Kovalainen --> FIsico

and while Kubica was beaten by Nick, I rate quick Nick quite high, and thought Kubica did really well specially in the latter half of the season.

Yes, it was a very good year. Ignoring Stepney gate of course.

wmcot
25th October 2007, 00:40

1. The closeness between KR, FM, FA, and LH in terms of performance.

2. Ron Dennis' idea of integrity. I used to respect him. He has let me down.

3. China - outcome was totally unexpected.

4. Can't recall, but there were a few as always.

5. Rosberg and Kovalainnen

6. Quick decisions/penalties on controversial issues.

7. The lack of TC should make things a bit less predictable.

8. Probably equal. Hard to compare since it was so different from the past seasons

OmarF1
25th October 2007, 18:52

R. Adrian Sutil getting noticed in a crappy Spyker, Sebastian Vettel in the wet.

R. Renault, Michelin depart affected them too much, and the obvious Honda team, they looked not only bad, but clueless, the motivation and ambition was there, but they had absolutely no idea of what to do to improve.

R. European GP, I mean come on, a driver overtaking another on the final laps on the wet, banging wheels, arguing after the race? It gets no better than that.

R. it has to be between Spa and Turkey, pity that have great layouts.

R. Nick Heidfeld as usual.

R. I think we've had enough F1 for this year, roll on 2008. we can't fight facts, some decisions may have be taken in a better way by drivers, teams and race strategies, but oh well.

R. I just hope that BMW and Renault and some other join Ferrari and Macca at the top.

R. I think...maybe it is just a personal perception but we saw more overtaking on track...but i could be wrong.

Cheers!

AAReagles
25th October 2007, 19:19
Hamilton

McLaren Gate, and the dismissal of Scott Speed

N/A, translation; unable to answer since I was not able to watch all the races.

N/A

Hiedfeld

Satisfied. However, as usual, I'm always in support of dismantling all chicanes at all venues.

Renault to bounce back, it would also be nice to see Honda & Williams turn in a better record next year. I would like to see the same competitive seasons as witnessed in 1982 & 83.

Better.

Corny
25th October 2007, 19:33

Positive surprise was that it was an exciting season.. I really expected Alonso to blow out.

Negative surprise? The spionage affaire? Honda was not very positive either!

Nurburgring.. We even saw a pass on the leading position, that hasn't happend on another occassion did it?

Boring? Ah, too many.. Maybe Sepang where Massa proved it was impossible to overtake.

Massa. He's had so much bad luck and has beaten Kimi several times

More overtaking and more teams winning a race could be the ones..

the FIA not favouring Lewis!

Worse: No Michael Schumacher in there..
Better: The one tyre rule

Safeman89
25th October 2007, 20:03

1. One of the closest ever seasons, certainly one of the most tense, for a long time. And some great performances from the rookies, not just Hamilton, but Vettel in Japan and China, Kovalainen in Canada and Japan, Davidson in Turkey qualifying, Sutil in Japan, Kubica solid in pretty much every race.

2. Not really a surprise, but Ferrari doing what they do best and kicking up a fuss as soon as things aren't going their way, and going on to stitch McLaren up.

3. Canada and Japan

4. Bahrain. Not really surprising, every single race at Bahrain so far has been incredibly boring, and it seriously needs to be taken off.

5. Some outstanding performances by both Red Bull teams, and all drivers concerned, only to be let down by various issues. Some stellar performances include Vettel/Webber in Japan, all 4 in China, Webber/Coulthard in Germany, Speed at Monaco

6. The fact that Hamilton didn't win wasn't satisfying, but the politics in F1 just became so pathetic it was unbelievable.

7. Look forward to no traction control, more mistakes from drivers, new team, new drivers, drivers in different cars, and races at Singapore and Valencia, particularly the former.

8. All in all, 100 times better

Tazio
25th October 2007, 20:31
1. Biggest positive surprises of the season? Hamilton
2. Biggest negative surprises of the season? Renault
3.Which was the most interesting race of the season? Spa always
4. Which was the most boring race of the season? Monaco always
5. Who or what would you like to highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention? As usual everything gets beaten to death, and recieves too muh attention
6. Are you satisfied with the season and what could or should have been different in your opinion? Not really. I'm satified that the best driver, and the best car won. qualifying, and next year it will come right!
See #6
8. What was in your opinion in 2007 better/worse than in 2006? It was better! Aside from all the controversy The big name drivers changing teams
(or retiring) made for a more interestig season

aryan
25th October 2007, 21:51
3.Which was the most interesting race of the season? Spa always

Did you seriously watch this year's Spa?

Don't get me wrong, I love that track, but this year's race? :confused: :dozey:

SparkyKate
25th October 2007, 22:59
Kimi finally winning the championship! Ferrari finally having a valid reason for FIA support. There actually being a Brit with talent on the track.

Said Brit turned out to be an arrogant so and so, very annoying and very into whining like a little girl when things dont go his way. Disappointing. McLaren and Stepneygate. McLaren and Hamiltons tyres. McLaren and Fuel saga. McLaren and this stupid appeal. Me losing all respect for Ron Dennis and McMerc.

Brazil: watching a masterclass in how to win, and lose, a championship and unfortunately, all the rubbish that came after.

Monaco, wasnt up to usual standard and Hamiltons whining at the end.

All the drivers that arent British! Drives me mad that the commentators and media just seem to forget that there are other drivers on track...and not one bigger then a postage stamp sized pick of Kimi winning in any papers...disgusting!

Not really. Very satisfied that Kimi won the title and that McMerc so far havnt got away with all the cheating n whining. Not so satisfied with all the politics and whining and McMerc in general really, and again, the lack of coverage for other teams.

7. What differences do you want from 2008 season compared to 2007?
Better coverage is top and in addition less of Martin Brundle talking rubbish would be good too. All rules and regulations sorted out and the stewards, FIA and teams all on the same page over them. Lewis Hamilton not being the only thing everyone talks about. More overtaking, more action and yeah things like traction control etc, basically a better spectacle on the track as opposed to off it!

Better: No Michael Schumacher, even when he was there he just gurned for the camera, good lad! There was more excitement with such a tight championship too and the finale was a fantastic suprise!
Worse: all the crap, what happened to winning it on the track?? Kimi did, but McMerc dont seem to want to, i kno who i have more respect for.

Tazio
26th October 2007, 01:21
Did you seriously watch this year's Spa?

Don't get me wrong, I love that track, but this year's race? :confused: :dozey: OK I wasn't going to expound on any of my choices, but since I was asked
I always give Spa an edge due to it's added element of danger.
Which I shouldn't any more after the make over.
When I think F1 exitement the image of FA, and LH playing chicken through Eau rouge tops the list!

pino
26th October 2007, 07:22
1. Biggest positive surprises of the season? : Hamilton / Rosberg

2. Biggest negative surprises of the season? : Honda / Toyota / Fisichella

3. Which was the most interesting race of the season? : Brazil

4. Which was the most boring race of the season? : Monaco

5. Who or what would you like to highlight, who/what in your opinion hasn't got enough attention? : Trulli :p :

6. Are you satisfied with the season and what could or should have been different in your opinion? : Being a Ferrari fan I am very satisfied, but a bit sad about poor performance of Toyota...

More passes on track, more exciting races, more drivers fighting for the title...and a competitive car for Jarno :D

Better : 4 drivers fight for the title, Worse : Spy story