PDA

View Full Version : What the SCSA needs is a new oval track!

BTCC2
23rd October 2007, 22:34
Is there any cahnce of this happening?

I know for next season they will be using one in Europe but are there any other suitable ovals currently in the UK?

LessThanSte
23rd October 2007, 23:24
There are ovals, loads of them infact, but none that anyone appears to be prepared to run at.

Mallory keeps getting suggested and perhaps one day it will be used, who knows.

The other track, other than Lausitz that seems to be ideally suited at the mo is Warneton in Belgium. But theres no point going there if the series is goign to lose stack loads of cash when it does.

The Silverstone oval idea also got batted round a few times, and would be perfect. A half mile bullring that got the fans in on top of the action and had some cracking bumping and banging racing, would be the perfect way to get people involved.

Sadly, we cant havea bristol thanks to the MSA, btu we could have a british Martinsville, couldnt we!!!

PitMarshal
24th October 2007, 08:06
Assuming that it is still operating next year, has anyone considered Lydden? The Camso V8's didn't seem to have too much trouble running there, although top speeds looked to be a fair bit slower.

Nick Brad
24th October 2007, 13:50
I'm not to sure what the situation in with Lydden, but I'm guessing that it could be a possibility in the future esecially if it could be tied in to the Camso event there.
The main problem is promotion, if people can't be enticed out of their homes to come and see the racing then where is the incentive to race somewhere? SCSA need to be looking foremost at being an entertainment rather than a club racing series.
Ashley Pover may have had his faults, but he understood this and I believe Duane does as well, SCSA will not go racing anywhere unless it helps secure the future growth of SCSA.

racing59
24th October 2007, 23:45
I've been looking at a number of options.

Lydden works for the CAMSO's because they are built to run on a short oval, but it'd only take a few setup tweaks to make ours work on it.

However, the question is "would it be good for the series".

I can't answer that question.

But yes, we need another oval, something 1/2mile or longer, it doesn't need to be another "Rockingham", a "Daytona" would do!!!!! (or a Bristol!)

I'm starting to think that Mallory would work for us as an "interim" step.

There are other MSA licenced circuits in the UK that can be configured to be "ovals". Knockhill is one, now here's your challenge - name the others.....

And I don't mean "configured by bulldozer/tarmac laying". I mean, perhaps bypassing a chicane, or similar...

Rob.

fastbob
25th October 2007, 07:17
Does Pembrey still have the Tri-oval and is it tarmac?

cgs
25th October 2007, 11:06
castle combe? i think there are a couple of right-handed kinks, but nothing steep.

deadsquirrel
25th October 2007, 12:28
I'm starting to think that Mallory would work for us as an "interim" step.

The big issue for Mallory is the 'burm' across the cut-through by the Elbow. This REALLLLLLY unsettled the Pickups and Eurocars - if it's not been graded, I'd suggest that was a major problem. Good track to aim for though.

PitMarshal
25th October 2007, 12:50
A Mallory regular I once spoke to claimed that the main problem is that the armco and marshals posts are not best placed for traffic running anti-clockwise, which (he believes) was a contributing factor to some of the more spectacular Eurocar accidents.

deadsquirrel
25th October 2007, 14:56
A Mallory regular I once spoke to claimed that the main problem is that the armco and marshals posts are not best placed for traffic running anti-clockwise, which (he believes) was a contributing factor to some of the more spectacular Eurocar accidents.

well, armco or concrete wall, still large accident.

marshals posts - well, put yellow lights out at each corner, all flags from the starter gantry and 2 or 3 safety trucks; problem solved. (Contentious but true).

Chigley
25th October 2007, 15:32
well, armco or concrete wall, still large accident.

marshals posts - well, put yellow lights out at each corner, all flags from the starter gantry and 2 or 3 safety trucks; problem solved. (Contentious but true).

and which MSA track license? ;)

deadsquirrel
25th October 2007, 16:35
and which MSA track license? ;)

I 'expected' it would be a new configuration for a licence, and on the basis of it being an oval, the same conditions we use at Rockingham would apply - ie no flag/incident marshals on course, just observers (and those whereever was best, not necessarily at the current boxed). I know it's probably a little radical for MSA, but maybe....

Chigley
25th October 2007, 16:47
I 'expected' it would be a new configuration for a licence, and on the basis of it being an oval, the same conditions we use at Rockingham would apply - ie no flag/incident marshals on course, just observers (and those whereever was best, not necessarily at the current boxed). I know it's probably a little radical for MSA, but maybe....

You're hoping that the MSA has progressed beyond the 19th century........ :rotflmao:

racing59
25th October 2007, 22:16
As modern as that.

You could drive a chariot throught statements like that!! (that's older than a coach and horses!)

Relating to the Eurocar and Pickup accidents, that was running clockwise - wasn't it? We'd be running anti-clockwise, so the "bump" would be a "plummet". That'll be fun!

Rob.

pickup
25th October 2007, 22:44
I remember watching the short circuit cars racing their long track championship at Mallory with the superstox running anti-clockwise over that hump with one car in particular lifting both front wheels off the ground on every lap until it lifted so high it almost flipped backwards needless to say the driver slowed considerably on his next laps, i would think a slight bit of leveling would be required before an SCSA visit.

acorn
26th October 2007, 10:39
Relating to the Eurocar and Pickup accidents, that was running clockwise - wasn't it? We'd be running anti-clockwise, so the "bump" would be a "plummet". That'll be fun!

Rob.

i believe they (the eurocars) ran anticlockwise, the legends and pickups(in r/h drive form) ran clockwise.