PDA

View Full Version : We've forgotten Christmas

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:28
It's the first year ever that I've not moaned about Christmas coming to the shops too early :eek:

Seriously, I think they've all forgotten about it. Been shopping today and not seen a single bauble, or heard Noddy Holder screaming at me from speakers (which is actually the best bit - I never tire of that song!)

And you know what's annoying, after all my previous anti-early Christmas complaints? I've got a dozen doggy present baskets with squeaky snowmen in them made up and I can't be the first to offer them for sale .... can I? :p :

slinkster
23rd October 2007, 22:49
You're right... it has been a later start this year. I think shops are finally being sensible about it. We've had about half our christmas stock in the store, the rest will come out next month and the christmas shop window will be done.

I rushed out to Selfridges to get some of their wicked baubles in october (yes yes... october) because they had them all out in september last year... and when I got there... Nothing. It was all Halloween stuff instead! I even dragged Mr Slinkster out especially so he wasn't impressed.

I think November is acceptable enough for Christmas in the shops to appear... :) I'm ready.

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:53
Ah! You've pointed out the obvious!
All the Christmas stuff aisles in shops are full of witch costumes and Scream masks, I just hadn't realised. Christmas must officially start next week, then.

Loobylou
24th October 2007, 07:54
And you know what's annoying, after all my previous anti-early Christmas complaints? I've got a dozen doggy present baskets with squeaky snowmen in them made up and I can't be the first to offer them for sale .... can I? :p :

It could be seen a bit like... backtracking, but why the hell not? Mutley's the only 'person' I've not got a pressie for yet so if you were a bit more local... :)

GridGirl
24th October 2007, 08:35
Next have had their Christmas display's in the window for a couple of weeks. And most shops are selling Christmas goods. I almost bought myself an advent calender from M&S the other day.

Leeds city centre have had their Christmas decoration's up for a couple of weeks, although thankfully they haven't been switch on. Its all there Hazel its just not being rammed in your face every five minutes yet. :)

Daniel
24th October 2007, 09:21
Hazell I think you just don't shop in the right places ;) Here the stuff has been out for about a month :)

I was going to post a thread about when someone was going to whinge about christmas stuff being out earlier but couldn't be bothered :p

Dave B
24th October 2007, 11:43
Most shops round our way have had some xmas stuff out for a few weeks, but haven't been "in your face" about it, changing window displays or putting up decorations. I expect that'll change about 20 seconds after Halloween.

Time for my annual boycott of stores playing Slade or Wizzard! :D

Daniel
24th October 2007, 11:47
Most shops round our way have had some xmas stuff out for a few weeks, but haven't been "in your face" about it, changing window displays or putting up decorations. I expect that'll change about 20 seconds after Halloween.

Time for my annual boycott of stores playing Slade or Wizzard! :D
In our household it's George Michael that's boycotted. Ergh!

Dave B
24th October 2007, 11:55
Last Christmas I gave it away, on the very next day you said I was gay...

Now, next time you hear that song you'll be unable to stop yourself thinking of this thread! :p

AndyRAC
24th October 2007, 11:56
In our household it's George Michael that's boycotted. Ergh!

Quite right too, bloody awful song, depressing isn't the word.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 11:56
Last Christmas I gave it away, on the very next day you said I was gay...

Now, next time you hear that song you'll be unable to stop yourself thinking of this thread! :p
Rather than some orange guy who looks a bit scary :p

Daniel
24th October 2007, 11:57
Quite right too, bloody awful song, depressing isn't the word.
Nothing to do with Christmas either other than the fact that it has the word christmas in it :confused:

BDunnell
24th October 2007, 12:52
It must depend where you live and which shops you have nearby. I was back in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago, and was informed that the Christmas section of the local Sainsbury's had been there for some time already...

BDunnell
24th October 2007, 12:54
Rather than some orange guy who looks a bit scary :p

Robert Kilroy-Silk?

Loobylou
24th October 2007, 13:09
I avoid the aisles, almost like magic, but they are there already. :s

Dave B
24th October 2007, 13:32
Robert Kilroy-Silk?
I thought I saw him in Tesco yesterday, but it turned out to be a pumpkin.

Eki
24th October 2007, 14:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIJ9Yb-xwQ

Daniel
24th October 2007, 14:12
I thought I saw him in Tesco yesterday, but it turned out to be a pumpkin.
Speaking of celebs I'm 7% sure I saw Toadie from neighbours the other day near home in a green k reg Astra with quad exhausts. He overtook me on the inside of a blind corner. FACT!

Dave B
24th October 2007, 14:54
I once saw the Chuckle Brothers buying petrol, but nobody seems to believe me :\

J4MIE
24th October 2007, 15:17
I once saw the Chuckle Brothers buying petrol, but nobody seems to believe me :\

To me.... to you....

suzy m
24th October 2007, 22:01
We've had our ambient Christmas stuff at work for about 6 weeks or so. My department has escaped so far - most of it doesn't come in until a week before the day itself. No point having fresh turkeys etc in just now when they only have a few days code life on them! We're quite lucky in that we only have Christmas music for a week beforehand. Drives you barmy hearing the same songs over and over again for 12 hours a day. :crazy:

You're right tho, once Halloween and Bonfire Night are over with the Chrsitmas stock will take over the shops. :p :

Drew
25th October 2007, 01:47
Somebody search for the thread from last year when somebody first stated that christmas is starting to early :p :

LotusElise
25th October 2007, 16:36
The main shops in Liverpool are in full Christmas mood now and have been for a couple of weeks, at least.

SEATFreak
25th October 2007, 18:05
Everytime I go into town I see a new set of lights on the lamposts!

Before long I will go into town to find a tree there!

LeonBrooke
26th October 2007, 01:24
I've heard news items talking about how shops are putting Christmas stuff up now, but having not been in a shop in the last week I haven't seen for myself. But I don't doubt that they have...

Dave B
26th October 2007, 09:07
Our local Tesco is gearing up for pancake day, they've already got shelves full of eggs and flour! :\

Loobylou
26th October 2007, 12:59
Our local Tesco is gearing up for pancake day, they've already got shelves full of eggs and flour! :\

I'm sure I've seen this one before too... :p

gadjo_dilo
29th October 2007, 13:33
Shops are still quiet but for 2 weeks thay've started to build the tallest christmas tree in Europe. Rather annoying cos it's on my way to home and I have to deviate.

Mark
29th October 2007, 14:08
I've booked a trip for Karen's birthday, which is after Christmas. That's nothing on Pino who has already arranged his Rally Sweden trip. :p

GridGirl
29th October 2007, 15:31
Rally Sweeden is in February. Hmm whats does that make me if I admit to spending my lunch hour looking up flights for Rally Finland in August. :p

BDunnell
29th October 2007, 16:50
Well, my local Sainsbury's had its Christmas tree and decorations up on Saturday. As an atheist, this ought not to bother me, but somehow it does...

Mark
30th October 2007, 13:42
How's everyones Christmas shopping going?

Apart from bits like cards and boxes of chocolates for minor relatives, I'm finished :D

GridGirl
30th October 2007, 14:05
I bought and gave my other half his big present a few weeks ago. :p My biggest problem occurs when he and others ask me what I want for Christmas. I really can't think of anything other than a new tax disk holder as mine keeps flying across my dashboard when I go round corners too quickly. :p I'll have to buy one before then so that leaves my Christmas present list remaining at a big fat nothing. :s

I've decided on all the other presents that I'm going to buy for people and even set the money aside to buy them. Now I've got to make the effort and actually buy them although most of it will be purchased online so it shouldn't be too much of a hastle. :)

Mark
30th October 2007, 14:10
That's my problem too. I can buy things for other people, but as to what I want? There's nothing really that I can think of. All the usual stuff I either already have up to date models such as mobile phone, camera, computer etc. Or is just too expensive.

I can think of lots of things which can be for after Christmas, such as holidays etc, but there still needs to be a gift given on the day and there is nothing I'm really after at the moment :(

Hazell B
31st October 2007, 17:50
You lot are far too organised :p :

Bought nothing yet. Not even thought about it really. Besides making up the dog and cat present baskets (which I haven't offered for sale yet in the end) and finding the stable yard decorations by accident yesterday, I haven't had the Christmas thing hit me yet. Maybe next week, maybe not ......

Eki
31st October 2007, 19:12
Hazell, this helium filled pig would make a perfect present for Kipper, since he likes pink piggies:

http://www.waste.org/~polaris/graphics/inflated-pig.jpg

jens
31st October 2007, 19:15
Thanks for recalling that Christmas is soon to come. Gingerbreads should soon come to sale. :)

Hazell B
1st November 2007, 21:13
Eki, much as we like the thought, Kipper would be terrified of such large prey :p :

Anyway, he'd bark even higher pitched after biting a hole in it :laugh:

Been wondering what I'd like for Christmas today and still don't know. Worrying thing is that I still have my birthday to come before Christmas and don't know about that either :mark: