PDA

View Full Version : Has HP gone nuts?

Erki
23rd October 2007, 13:35
I'm writing this on a HP laptop. Vista. :s :p

But Vista is not the biggest problem. Keyboard is. :\

I don't know what those HP engineers were thinking when they decided that the left hand Shift key needs to be the size of two keys and I don't need the key to type <, >, and | symbols. :s

Idiots. :\

Azumanga Davo
23rd October 2007, 14:56
Dull day in Finland?

ChrisS
23rd October 2007, 15:16
what keyboard layout do you use in finland? in the US and UK keyboards < and > are not next to the left shift. < is "shift ," and > is "shift ."

next to the left shift is \ and "shift \" is |

from what I saw from a friends HP however. HP doesn't have the \ button next to the left shift, they have it over the enter button

Erki
23rd October 2007, 15:29
Yes, my keyboard looks just as you just described. But I use Estonian layout... otherwise I don't think öäüõ would be typable... The button just over the enter button is ' and * for me. It still seems that they have gone without that vital button...

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 16:56
Everyone should use a US keyboard layout. I despise all other keyboards. I even made a point of buying a US keyboard for our new(ish) PC and I also have my UK keyboard here at work set to work as a US keyboard. Do that and all will be fine Erki ;)

Other than that all I can suggest is Vista sucks and get a Mac ;)

Erki
23rd October 2007, 18:28
Everyone should use a US keyboard layout. I despise all other keyboards. I even made a point of buying a US keyboard for our new(ish) PC and I also have my UK keyboard here at work set to work as a US keyboard. Do that and all will be fine Erki ;)

How the hell do I type things like "möla maha, anna mulle üks ämber õlut!" then? :)

One day, I'll do that. :)

Erki
23rd October 2007, 18:29
and if < is shift+, and > is shift+. then how am I supposed to get ; and :? :\

ChrisS
23rd October 2007, 18:51

I also prefer the US keyboard and use it on my computers.

In the UK keyboard I mostly hate the " as shift+2 and @ as shift+' when ever I try to sent an email using a UK keyboard I end up writing name"domain instead of name@domain and when I try to google something using quotes I end up writing @search term@

and if < is shift+, and > is shift+. then how am I supposed to get ; and :? :\

; is its own button and shift+; is :

Alfa Fan
23rd October 2007, 18:54

Are you being serious? Or just taking the piss? Its so obvious why different countries have different keyboards.

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 19:13
Are you being serious? Or just taking the piss? Its so obvious why different countries have different keyboards.
Of course I'm serious! This is a serious problem!

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd October 2007, 20:21
HP and nuts. Sounds disgusting :s

tinchote
23rd October 2007, 21:49

Yes, he is been serious. He is talking about the distribution of the keys in the keyboard. Whatever language you write in, you can still use a qwerty keyboard. But they don't in France or in Germany, for instance.

How the hell do I type things like "möla maha, anna mulle üks ämber õlut!" then? :)

One day, I'll do that. :)

I use a standard US keyboard with the mapping "USA international". And with it I can easily type "möla maha, anna mulle üks ämber õlut!", whatever that means.

shift-" provides the ümlaut, shift-~ the tilde etc. With it I can comfortably write in Spanish things like "mañana será otro día". Or I can write the ç they use in Portuguese/French.

And by the way, to several forumers here, Erki is in Estonia and not in Finland. Erki and Eki have very little in common with the exception of a few letters ;) :p :

MrJan
23rd October 2007, 21:55
I thought it was KP that did nuts

Erki
23rd October 2007, 22:15
Yes, he is been serious. He is talking about the distribution of the keys in the keyboard. Whatever language you write in, you can still use a qwerty keyboard. But they don't in France or in Germany, for instance.

I use a standard US keyboard with the mapping "USA international". And with it I can easily type "möla maha, anna mulle üks ämber õlut!", whatever that means.

shift-" provides the ümlaut, shift-~ the tilde etc. With it I can comfortably write in Spanish things like "mañana será otro día". Or I can write the ç they use in Portuguese/French.

And by the way, to several forumers here, Erki is in Estonia and not in Finland. Erki and Eki have very little in common with the exception of a few letters ;) :p :

Come on, this is just plain inconvenient. :\ I'll do it when I go to the USA or something. :)

I'll give two points to the first non-Estonian/non-Finnish member who gives me the right answer on what "möla maha, anna mulle üks ämber õlut!" means. :)

Drew
24th October 2007, 01:43
I thought there was a problem at the HP sauce factory when I read this, thank god there isn't.

Azumanga Davo
24th October 2007, 07:59
I thought it was KP that did nuts

He was of course, referring to HP "brow" sauce... ;)

MrJan
24th October 2007, 18:23
:laugh: