PDA

View Full Version : Car of Tomorrow

Lee Roy
3rd January 2007, 13:46
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=newton_david&id=2717713

CONCORD, N.C. -- Did you know NASCAR will pay for the rear wings used on the new Car of Tomorrow, then distribute them at the track and collect them after each race?

Did you know the COT, which is two inches taller and four inches wider than the current car, will fit inside the current haulers?

Did you know the inspection process at the track should be faster with the COT because of nine radio frequency IDs that will be installed on each chassis, allowing inspectors to verify its legitimacy electronically instead of manually?

Did you know the restrictor plate as we know it at Daytona and Talladega likely will become obsolete with the design of the COT engine package?

Did you know the COT looks more like the car on the street than the one currently on the track because the angles of the windows and headlights aren't nearly as severe?

If you listened to a lot of crew chiefs and drivers over the past few months, you probably didn't.

So many rumors have been started about the COT that Mike Fisher, the new managing director of NASCAR's Research and Development Center, came up with a name for them.

"Urban legends," he said on a recent tour of the inspection process.

For example, one team official complained that the COT really won't save money as NASCAR promised because parts such as the wing cost substantially more.

He left out that the $4,000 part, minus the end plates, would be issued at the track so teams won't have the opportunity to tamper with it. The only cost to teams will be for wings they use in testing.

Others have said they will have to buy new haulers because the cars won't fit in the old ones. Fisher thought that was strange since every COT brought to tracks for testing arrived in current haulers.

"They told me when I took this job I needed to have a thick skin and not take all these criticisms personally," he said. "I'm starting to see why."

Fisher and Brett Bodine, who has logged more miles in the COT than anybody, said most of the complaints have subsided. They said most people have a better appreciation for the car and all the work that has gone into it after watching it go through inspection.

"One of the best compliments I've heard came from a top-10 team owner that said it takes half the time to build the COT," said Bodine, dispelling another rumor.

Just over a hundred chassis have been inspected at the Concord shop, with almost half passing. A record 14 consecutive chassis passed inspection earlier this week. That's a far cry from initial tests when five out of six were turned away, most for minor problems such as sheet metal being too thin.

"Nobody was wild out," Fisher said.

Pre-certifying the chassis and fitting them with the radio frequency IDs will save time at the track, where in the past all chassis inspections took place.

That makes for a busier than normal holiday season, but Bodine doesn't mind.

"What we do here is way more technical than anything we did at the track," he said.

The chassis can be pre-certified because, as was the intent, they can't be altered as in the past to help create aerodynamic advantages.

This had some crew chiefs up in arms because they won't be allowed to push the so-called "gray areas" that sometimes led to victories and sometimes led to penalties. On the other hand, this also will save them time.

"We've eliminated the time-consuming element of it, let's say," Fisher said diplomatically.

But there are parts of the COT that can be modified. Teams can adjust the angle of the spoiler from zero to 16 degrees to control downforce. They also can choose to have flat wing side panels or curved ones, mixing and matching them in any way they want.

The front-end splitter also is adjustable from four to six inches wide.

"We want them to be able to tune the thing," Bodine said.

Bodine is so excited with how the new car drives and the ultimate cost-saving features that he wishes he were a team owner again.

He said most of the complaints from drivers have come from those who had little to no time behind the wheel. He predicts most will love the car in time because the wing will create less aero push and allow for more passing.

He's so confident that he predicts a track qualifying record may fall when the COT debuts in the first of 16 races in the 2007 season at Bristol in late March.

He's also excited about the possibilities at Talladega and Daytona, where restrictor plates are used to limit horsepower and keep speeds around 190 mph.

"We'll still have plates, but the holes will be substantially larger, probably around an inch," Bodine said. "The engine package probably will fall very similar to what you would run at Michigan."

But the bottom line, from the driver's seat that is closer to the center of the car to the energy-reducing foam that lies between the sheet metal and cage around the doors, is that the car is safer than anything that's been on the track.

And it's not as "butt ugly," judging from the Chevrolet Impala on display at the R&D Center, as some have said.

"This is not our first attempt," Bodine said. "We did a tremendous amount of testing. I can't imagine what NASCAR has put into this. To see it where it is today, I'm really proud."

BenRoethig
3rd January 2007, 14:58
So, in other words we're supposed to believe a career backmarker whose only career win came from a scoring error that happens to work for the sanctioning body over the current teams and guys have actually won races (and championships) legitimately?

Lee Roy
3rd January 2007, 15:26
So, in other words we're supposed to believe a career backmarker whose only career win came from a scoring error that happens to work for the sanctioning body over the current teams and guys have actually won races (and championships) legitimately?

I didn't know that Mike Fisher had ever won a race.

BenRoethig
3rd January 2007, 15:33
Brett Bodine

Sparky1329
3rd January 2007, 17:40
In all fairness Brett Bodine has a degree in mechanical engineering so he's not just blowing smoke out of his butt. The performance of the COT remains to be seen. Once it has a few races under it's belt we'll find out who's blowing smoke....drivers or NASCAR.

Lee Roy
3rd January 2007, 17:44
In all fairness Brett Bodine has a degree in mechanical engineering so he's not just blowing smoke out of his butt.

He ran his own team for a while, too.

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2007, 19:20
COT is an idea that just may convince me to like it, but I remain skeptical. I didn't see an issue with the old car. Yes it cost more dough, but this is the top level of the sport, I want to see innovation and teams fighting to find new ways to win. That is what the top of the sport is about. You don't see f1 going to a spec car. That said, if it makes for better racing, more responsive throttles running on the Superspeedways, then it will be a bonus.

The complaints of the teams sound like a lot of crap actually, and when I read those I laugh.

Brett Bodine can say what he wants but he is on the NASCAR payroll. He sure as heck wont say anything to badmouth his meal ticket. That said, once the teams get their mitts on the cars, they will try to shave something or change or modify other parts. It will be an interesting time to watch NASCAR I must say...

I like the tail spoiler actually....it isn't a stock car thing in a sense, but hey, change isn't always all bad.

RaceFanStan
5th January 2007, 04:11
I like the COT & I expect it will make the racing excellent ! :D

call_me_andrew
6th January 2007, 05:23
You don't see f1 going to a spec car.

The complaints of the teams sound like a lot of crap actually, and when I read those I laugh.

1-The F1 comment depends on who you ask. Champ Car seems to be embracing the spec car.
2-The teams seem to complain that the cars run 30˚ hotter when running in a pack. I think that's a very big problem. I'll admit that the transporters aren't that big of a problem (if you let some air out of the tires).

"Did you know the COT looks more like the car on the street than the one currently on the track because the angles of the windows and headlights aren't nearly as severe?"

This is the part that drives me nuts. While it looks more like "A" street car, but less like any of "THE" street cars.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2007, 06:03
F1 isn't Champ Car. F1 costs for Ferrari to run 2 cars go well over half a billion dollars PER SEASON. Champ Car is going to a spec car because they are in tight cost control mode. As is the IRL.

No, COT to a certain extent is a move towards cost control for the teams. With far less adjustments allowed, millions of dollars and days in the wind tunnel in theory will be a thing of the past. The COT will have the same body no matter what name plate is on it. That is a plus to the teams if they want to really be serious, and what is more, it takes one advantage the big teams had over the smaller operators. In the long run, it should be cheaper.

The problem I have always had with the COT is I think NASCAR is a good series equipment wise. Other than the plate tracks, the racing was pretty good at times. Aero issues could be handled by making the current cars more "dirty" making them more like the Trucks, who have little of the issues of Cup cars while running almost as fast. Safety is not really the issue it was 6 years ago, mainly due to the safer barrier, better seats and the HANS. The radical lines to allow better egress for a driver were not really complaints anyone was having. I think the COT is easier to police and that is what NASCAR wants. The problem is, making their life easier isn't really good if the fans take a look at this thing and call it a turkey. I cant make up my mind what I think of the looks. I do think many will not like it, and if I am a car manufacturer, I wonder what the hell I am doing in the sport, since the COT that Toyota runs is the same as mine.

No...it looks very little like a car on the street in many ways. Stock is to supposed to be "Stock" I realize that fantasy dies hard, but man, the COT is just too large a leap to take.....

tassiedevilAB
7th January 2007, 08:53
LET'S FACE IT GUYS, IT IS HERE TO STAY. the COT will bring more viewers from europe & asia on the tv channels because it will look similar to a road racing car.

tassiedevilAB
7th January 2007, 09:03
If CHEV, FORD & TOYOTA are serious , they should be running rwd cars like the CHARGER,........ it is a joke that they were allowed to get away with it all this time!

BenRoethig
7th January 2007, 12:28
If CHEV, FORD & TOYOTA are serious , they should be running rwd cars like the CHARGER,........ it is a joke that they were allowed to get away with it all this time!

Ford is releasing a concept called the Interceptor based upon the Mustang platform it is expected to replace the crown vic. Chevy is working on the 2009 Impala using the zeta (VE/WM to holden fans) platform. As for Toyota, do you really want to see a rear wheel drive car replace the Aurion in Oz and the Avalon here?

tstran17_88
7th January 2007, 15:22

You can’t fault the manufactures since Nascar dictates to them what the car should be. They have been running front wheel drive cars since the late 80's when Chevy brought the Lumina to Nascar. If Nascar wanted to keep it a rear wheel drive only series they would have told Chevy ‘No’. Besides changing the race car version of the Lumina to a rear wheel drive, they also had to stretch the wheel base to match the Thunderbird.

tstran17_88
7th January 2007, 15:32
No...it looks very little like a car on the street in many ways. Stock is to supposed to be "Stock" I realize that fantasy dies hard, but man, the COT is just too large a leap to take.....I know I've mentioned this before...but the Nascar race cars haven't been “stock” since the early 60's.

I'm disappointed too that they didn't just make a few modifications to the current car like making the green house bigger and moving the centerline of the steering column closer to the center of the vehicle to appease driver complaints. (see Mikey Waltrip). But ever since Brian took over Nascar, he likes to dive into the shallow end of the pool head first. But, I've learned to adapt to all of his concoctions.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2007, 18:47
Hey, the Frances in running The Grand AM series basically created the ugliest road racing cars going in their Rolex series, but as race cars, they work.

COT is by far the most far reaching change in NASCAR in the last 20 years, and while I get what it is supposed to do, it just will leave me wondering what the point of it all really is. Safety issues aside, the COT will allow NASCAR to police the cars in the rules in a far easier manner. I think this is the real reason behind the COT. Less templates, less rules to bend, more control by NASCAR.

The thing is though, NASCAR is no longer going to have any kind of hold on being a "stock"car series now. Maybe it is naive to think they have been since the 70's, but at least lip service was paid to the original "stock" automobile. Why the car manufacturers have been silent on this radical change is a mystery to me.....

tassiedevilAB
8th January 2007, 08:50
So why was chebby allowed to get a front wheel drive lumina into the series anyway, it must be , if chebby wanted it they got it & Ford already had there rwd thunderbird & after that came the terra saurous fwd ugg?
So that means that the terra saurous & fusions are all thunderbirds under them, how old are the chassis then?

The thundebirds racing around thundedome in Melbourne victoria in the 80's & 90's must have been old chassis!

BenRoethig
8th January 2007, 14:03
Chevy stopped making the Monte Carlo after 1988 and Ford stopped making the T-bird in 1997.

Lee Roy
8th January 2007, 14:31
If I were so particular about watching races between completely stock appearing cars, I'd be a big fan on the Speed Challenge and Speed Touring series and wouldn't bother watching NASCAR ever again.

DonnieB
8th January 2007, 19:19
I tried imagining a world where all stock cars had remained stock. In this world a dirt Late Model is a FWD, 4-door, unibody-based car. When parts became scarce for the pre-war jalopies, the class simply ceased to exist. The term Supermodified was instead coined to refer to a rice-racer with a souped up ECM. The short-track cars run 2 seconds a lap slower than their real-world counterparts. NASCAR runs FWD, V-6 4-doors. They lap Daytona at 165, flat-out.

For the past two years, Belchfire Motors has averaged 38 of 43 cars on the grid at each race. The last offerings from the Thunderclap, Tsunami and Galaxy companies were all duds, and each had to start from a clean sheet. The three-year lead time for new designs means that next February is the soonest they'll have new cars ready. They are trying hard to convince some of the Belchfire teams to switch. Tsunami has had an especially hard time. They have fallen short on their two previous offerings, so they've had no presence at all for the last six years.

I'm so glad I don't live in that world.

call_me_andrew
8th January 2007, 21:56
If I were so particular about watching races between completely stock appearing cars, I'd be a big fan on the Speed Challenge and Speed Touring series and wouldn't bother watching NASCAR ever again.

And if Speed World Challenge ran ovals, I'd be their number one fan!

Lee Roy
9th January 2007, 01:31
And if Speed World Challenge ran ovals, I'd be their number one fan!

Are you okay with equivalency formulas?

DonnieB
9th January 2007, 16:06
1965 was such a wonderful year; so many choices to root for; the red Ford, the blue Ford, the white Ford, the yellow Ford...

Common templates by default.

call_me_andrew
9th January 2007, 21:28

Yes I am.

I thought we had established that by now.

Alexamateo
9th January 2007, 21:35
1965 was such a wonderful year; so many choices to root for; the red Ford, the blue Ford, the white Ford, the yellow Ford...

Common templates by default.

Oh come on now. What about the "yellow banana"!!?? :p :

DonnieB
9th January 2007, 22:32
Oh come on now. What about the "yellow banana"!!?? :p :
That was 1966, IIRC, but at my age, 1964-1968 all seem like the same year. :D

Lee Roy
10th January 2007, 01:41
Yes I am.

That's cool. I am too.

But I remember how some people around here used to squeal like little piggies when NASCAR used to take away and add to the rear spoiler and the front air dam on different makes. What they do in those Speed series makes that look like nothing.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 02:35
NASCAR has been the kings of equivalency, and I think I objected at first, but I realize now what they have done has made the series just go from strength to strength. I still wish though little variances between makes existed, but the COT is going to the end of any differences....

RaceFanStan
10th January 2007, 04:41
When the cars are more aero equal, it goes to the driver & engine department to make a difference. :D :up:

call_me_andrew
10th January 2007, 04:44
When the cars are more aero equal, it goes to the driver & engine department to make a difference. :D :up:

1. I don't care about the drivers.
2. Everyone outsources their engine programs anyway.

tassiedevilAB
10th January 2007, 08:10
Yeh & the Avenger pics on the net of the the nascar version look like a smaller charger!
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/avenger.html

Bob Riebe
10th January 2007, 08:37

In this age of equivalency and spec. crap sameness, NASCAR, is, not that the France boys are happy about it, the only reamining series where engines, even with restrictors, can make a difference, without some grade school playground level "performance balancing".
IF the IMSA had NASCARS engine rules, it would not be a series with small grids, getting smaller.

It is odd, as I despise what the France's have done to stock car racing, I often find myself defending their engine program, as it is actually less restricted than near any other major, minus sprints, racing series.
Bob

Lee Roy
10th January 2007, 13:16
2. Everyone outsources their engine programs anyway.

Most of the big teams have their own engine departments.

trumperZ06
10th January 2007, 15:41

:dozey: The Speed series is much closer to "Stock Cars"... but rule changes keep changing in this series, too !

Is anyone else beginning to wonder about the Nextel series...

What's in it for the auto manufacturers?

The COT leaves them with providing a company block & heads, the rest of the car is "modified" with special parts.

Lee Roy
10th January 2007, 18:41
What's in it for the auto manufacturers?

Exposure that they can't get with any other racing series in the US.

trumperZ06
10th January 2007, 18:59
Exposure that they can't get with any other racing series in the US.

:dozey: Hhmmmm.... where is the Brand Identity with the COT's !!! :rolleyes:

DonnieB
10th January 2007, 19:18
Yes I am.

I thought we had established that by now.

The COT is an equivalency formula. It is a rather severe one, but it came about because previous, less severe equivalency formulas only resulted in changing the direction that the whine came from each time one was applied.

The question becomes: how much tweaking in the name of parity will you accept, and how much whining from the participants can you endure? And when the whining exceeds your tolerance level, what then?

Lee Roy
10th January 2007, 19:43
:dozey: Hhmmmm.... where is the Brand Identity with the COT's !!! :rolleyes:

Plenty. They will be called Fords, Chevys, Dodges, and Toyotas. And it won't cost them millions upon millions of dollars (and in this day and time, possibly approaching a billion) to continuously re-tool and remake models to compete in NASCAR.

As it is now, they spend a bit to "advertise" in NASCAR and can keep down the costs associated with production of street cars.

And from the increased participation in NASCAR (Toyota), they seem to be okay with it.

tassiedevilAB
11th January 2007, 04:53
AT LEAST IN AUSSIE V8 SUPERCARS the cars do resemble the cars that the fans drive as a daily driver, & they do have rwd & the most cars in a car park at the meeting are the falcon & holden cars & utes.
These Nascar cars do not look anything like the one that the manufactures make.

oldhippie
11th January 2007, 23:54
the cot has grown on me and i now like it
even the wing on the back looks cool to me

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 05:09
Most of the big teams have their own engine departments.

And those engines go to the little teams.

The COT is an equivalency formula.

I wouldn't call the COT an equvalency formula. I'd call it a spec vehicle. My idea of an equvalency formula involves changing the aerodynamics and weight for each manufacturer in responce to race results.

wedge
13th January 2007, 14:16
AT LEAST IN AUSSIE V8 SUPERCARS the cars do resemble the cars that the fans drive as a daily driver, & they do have rwd & the most cars in a car park at the meeting are the falcon & holden cars & utes.
These Nascar cars do not look anything like the one that the manufactures make.

But the major difference between AV8s and NASCAR is that NASCAR run on superspeedways, the AV8s don't and therefore straightline speed is incredibly important.

Aero has become so important in NASCAR, sheet metal has to be shaped and recessed to perfection and can make a huge difference on a plate track. That's why today's stock cars are shaped like bullets.

The current cars don't make holes in the air like they used to, we hear too much about aero-push. Something had to be done. This is the reason why a applaud NASCAR.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:31
But the major difference between AV8s and NASCAR is that NASCAR run on superspeedways, the AV8s don't and therefore straightline speed is incredibly important.

Aero has become so important in NASCAR, sheet metal has to be shaped and recessed to perfection and can make a huge difference on a plate track. That's why today's stock cars are shaped like bullets.

The current cars don't make holes in the air like they used to, we hear too much about aero-push. Something had to be done. This is the reason why a applaud NASCAR.

About 6 years ago, the put metal strips (on the superspeedways)across the roof into the wind to dirty up the air and make the cars work harder on the throttle. It made for HUGE suction behind the cars and allowed the pack to be even tighter. IT also made for amazing stuff at Talladega, for it was the year that Dale Sr. was able to go from 35th at the end of the lead pack to first in about 3 laps to win one year. They removed the strips because they felt the draft effect was too much and the packs got too tight at Daytona and Talladega. I think the new COT might have the same problem.

They want to slow the cars down at the superspeedways yet keep some sort of pack, but not too tight....it is a hard thiing to do to keep racing close, but not too close; to keep it fast, but not too fast.

call_me_andrew
13th January 2007, 19:56
About 6 years ago, the put metal strips (on the superspeedways)across the roof into the wind to dirty up the air and make the cars work harder on the throttle. It made for HUGE suction behind the cars and allowed the pack to be even tighter. IT also made for amazing stuff at Talladega, for it was the year that Dale Sr. was able to go from 35th at the end of the lead pack to first in about 3 laps to win one year. They removed the strips because they felt the draft effect was too much and the packs got too tight at Daytona and Talladega. I think the new COT might have the same problem.

They want to slow the cars down at the superspeedways yet keep some sort of pack, but not too tight....it is a hard thiing to do to keep racing close, but not too close; to keep it fast, but not too fast.

Actually, the roof blade reduced the amount of drag from the spoiler. The 90˚ flange on the top of the spoiler is what created so much drag. Since the flange made the cars so tight, the blade was needed to give them some balance. High drag cars are great to watch at restrictor plate races, but boring as hell everywhere else. I think the Busch series still uses that aero-package.

BenRoethig
13th January 2007, 20:02

Here's the difference, with the slow down created by the COT, they're going to be able to reduce the restrictor plate considerably. It will be more like the truck races than the wicker races.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 06:13
Ben, that is the theory anyhow. I think the strip set at the right size would have had much of the effect they are looking for, but NASCAR I think was looking for a reason to totally take the car building process and turn it into something easier to police. It is however a drastic thing to do, and as we have seen, people are not all sold on it. I look forward to see how it turns out, but I lament the loss of the last connections to the stock bodies.....

F1suxmoose
14th January 2007, 08:43
Hmmm...looks like they also have Trucks Of Tomorrow

http://i.a.cnn.net/nascar/2007/news/headlines/truck/01/12/new.trucks/ford.nose.384.jpg

`All four Craftsman Truck Series manufacturers -- Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford and Toyota -- will debut revised versions of their popular vehicles when the 2007 season begins with the Chevrolet Silverado HD 250 on Feb. 16 at Daytona International Speedway.

The new models got their first workouts Friday as Jackson Hewitt Preseason Thunder testing continued at the 2.5-mile tri-oval.

So far, it appears the new trucks are passing the test.

"On the track [Friday], things are looking pretty good as far as parity," said Craftsman Truck Series director Wayne Auton, who explained that "the aerodynamics are closer, and the downforce is closer which will make for better competition on the racetrack."

All four models are identical from the windshield back, enabling NASCAR inspectors to use a single template to measure each one. Each manufacturer submitted a revised nose piece which is 1.5 inches higher than a year ago.

Several crew chiefs applauded the changes.

"I think that everybody's improved on it," said Mike Beam, crew chief of the No. 6 Roush Racing Ford that will be driven this season by 2003 Craftsman Truck Series champion Travis Kvapil. "I think this is the first year I've seen NASCAR really work hard to make the trucks equal and put it back on the team for hard work [and] get rewarded for it."

Beam will build on last year's success that included six victories by Mark Martin -- one in the season opener at Daytona.

Rick Ren, newly appointed crew chief for Ron Hornaday Jr., likes the trucks' potential. He was a five-time winner in 2006 with Johnny Benson.

"You're going to have to do some chassis tuning for the aero package," said Ren, a winner in the series with four different drivers. "This package is quite different on the front aero than what any of us are used to. This is a deal where I think whoever strikes up on a combination the quickest is going to get a jump on the field."

The new trucks also appear quicker.

"So far we're faster this year than we were last year at the same time," said Jeff Hensley, crew chief for Mike Skinner's No. 5 Toyota. "Things seem to react real good out there, too. It's different but it's different for everybody. I think we should be fine."

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/truck/01/12/new.trucks/index.html

tassiedevilAB
16th January 2007, 01:04
with that in mind, it sounds like the trucks will be even better to watch this year! I only hope that foxsports tv. here will show it this year! tHE FOOLS MISSED OUT ON A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO GET MORE CUSTOMERS last year with Ambrose in that series, you guys in america don't know how lucky you are.