PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a Finnish Grand Prix?

FIA
22nd October 2007, 22:29
Should there be a Finnish Grand Prix?

I think there should, first KIMI RAIKKONEN as just won the F1 World Championship. As well as Raikkonen, (The Great) Mika Hakkinen and Keke Rosberg also won F1 Worl Championships. There is Heikki Kovalainen who is a rising star and also Keke's son Nico Rosberg (But he is classed as German). Other Finnish figures include JJ Letho and Mika Salo who were both very popular in F1. Please Bernie do the right thing, get a track build in Finalnd a give a Grand Prix to Finland!

So, does anybody agree with me?

Tomi
22nd October 2007, 22:33
We have already, the grand prix on gravel thats good enough, no thanks for a finnish formula 1 race.

BDunnell
22nd October 2007, 22:34
We have already, the grand prix on gravel thats good enough, no thanks for a finnish formula 1 race.

I was going to say exactly the same thing!

Though an F1 race round the streets of Jyväskylä would be fun...

Tomi
22nd October 2007, 22:37

yes, but im afraid the current F1 drivers would not qualify :)

BDunnell
22nd October 2007, 22:40
yes, but im afraid the current F1 drivers would not qualify :)

OK, then — stick some of the old street circuit masters in the cars. Watson, Alesi...

Tomi
22nd October 2007, 22:46
on the other hand it would maybe not be so bad idea after all, it would be nice to see if that Naomi Campbell really is that tall, or does she just look tall in TV.

fandango
22nd October 2007, 23:10
They could have a night race in the middle of the Summer!

Crypt
22nd October 2007, 23:19
To bad Kimi lives in Switzerland.

Stuartf12007
22nd October 2007, 23:35
have a finnish gp at Brands hatch!

janneppi
23rd October 2007, 06:45
I'm too lazy to type it again:

I'm not sure it would be commercially viable, while it just might get full grandstands at F1 races, having such a big venue would be an overkill for other racing series.
Not to mention being out of use for 5 months because of snow.
We had DTM races in Helsinki centre few years back, but i wouldn put F1's in another city course.
:)

wmcot
23rd October 2007, 06:51
Schedule it in the winter and Bernie can get his night race. The cars could all run on studded tires like Heidfeld used in his exhibition run!

gm99
23rd October 2007, 07:52
Slightly OT: Does anyone happen to have a link to a track layout of the Helsinki DTM/ITC street course (didn't they run FIA-GTs there one year too?), it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

janneppi
23rd October 2007, 08:16
http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Finland/Helsinki.html There you go :)

gm99
23rd October 2007, 08:17
Kiitos! :D

AndyRAC
23rd October 2007, 09:05

I too was going to say that. It couldn't be as spectacular anyway..

Eki
23rd October 2007, 10:15
http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Finland/Helsinki.html There you go :)
That's not much longer than Ahvenisto race track that hosted F2 races in the 60s and the 70s. Is there a minimum length required for an F1 race?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Ahvenisto_profile_small.png/290px-Ahvenisto_profile_small.png

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 10:24

Trouble is, if it got too cold and icy, the cars might not get to the finish in the Finnish GP. :p :

Ranger
23rd October 2007, 11:55
Is there a minimum length required for an F1 race?

Yes, matter of fact its a length thats about 100metres short of Monaco's track distance of about 3.3km.

Tomi
23rd October 2007, 12:22
That's not much longer than Ahvenisto race track that hosted F2 races in the 60s and the 70s. Is there a minimum length required for an F1 race?

Ahvenisto is a good racetrack but far too narrow, also there is too few places for spectators, and getting to and away from there is not well arranged either.
Normally when some Finnish guy wins the F1 championship someone comes up whit somekind of masterplan about where to build the track, but like janneppi said the problem is what use is the track for the rest of the year.

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2007, 12:22
Looking at track maps...Tampere.

Dzeidzei
23rd October 2007, 12:33
In 2008 when Kimi wins Silverstone, Heikki comes 2nd in Renault and Nico 3rd in the McL. I´d call that the Finnish gp.

The only question is how many Finnish gps there will be next year?

Too many, if you ask the Britons or the Spanish. The Italians will stay happy with their Iceman.

And Bernie will try to ban the damn Finns from F1 racing altogether.

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 12:58
As pointed out there already is one and it's better than any tarmac race :)

GridGirl
23rd October 2007, 13:38
I was under the impression that we already had a Finnish Grand Prix.... at the Hungaroring. Its the GP that most Finnish F1 fans go to. All we need to do is get Hungary's name changed to Finland and its problem solved. ;)

Eki
23rd October 2007, 13:44
Looking at track maps...Tampere.
The only motor racing tracks in Tampere I know are indoor karting tracks.

AndyRAC
23rd October 2007, 14:09
Was there ever a Finnish Moto GP (500cc) back in the 70's?

Eki
23rd October 2007, 14:33
Yes there was. From 1962 to 1982:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_motorcycle_Grand_Prix

Eki
23rd October 2007, 14:42
Yes, matter of fact its a length thats about 100metres short of Monaco's track distance of about 3.3km.
There's Motopark race track in Eastern Finland that's 3.5 km long and 11 m wide:

http://www.motopark.fi/kuvat/rataesittely.gif

What do the F1 rules say about the width of the track?

wedge
23rd October 2007, 14:58
What's the circuit conditions generally like in Scandinavia because of the harsh winters? The GPDA always moaning about bumpy track surfaces.

Erki
23rd October 2007, 15:07
on the other hand it would maybe not be so bad idea after all, it would be nice to see if that Naomi Campbell really is that tall, or does she just look tall in TV.

It's just that Bernie is short. :)

Tomi
23rd October 2007, 15:57

Yes there was, in a place name Imatra, but it was banned because it was quite danger, I think one Brittish sidecar driver died in the last event.

COD
23rd October 2007, 16:43
Like has been said, there is no track available, so the only way would be to host on a road (city) circuit. But with the money Bernie and FIA and asking for the hosting rights, it will never happen in Finland as such money is impossible to get here.

janneppi
23rd October 2007, 17:02
The 2009 Le Manse GP has a nice ring to it. :)

Tomi
23rd October 2007, 17:05
The 2009 Le Manse GP has a nice ring to it. :)

Or Hervanta GP :)

V12
23rd October 2007, 17:25
I agree 100%. For a country of its size to spawn three world champions, it obviously has such a rich motor sport heritage, but of course it's not going to happen. It is a cold, northern European country, and if a race was held there the track would likely be rammed with genuine fans wanting to follow their drivers and their sport, so the idea would probably offend Bernie Ecclestone in every way imaginable!

Off to Bahrain and Singapore we go... :s nore:

jonas_mcrae
23rd October 2007, 19:43
Stick to rally Finland, the best in the world!
and by the way kimmi who? the only Finnish drivers I know are two guys called Marcus and Mikko...

Crypt
23rd October 2007, 20:20
Stick to rally Finland, the best in the world!
and by the way kimmi who? the only Finnish drivers I know are two guys called Marcus and Mikko...

You will get to know that name, Kimi has already professed his desire to move to WRC once he's done in F1. :D

jonas_mcrae
23rd October 2007, 20:47
You will get to know that name, Kimi has already professed his desire to move to WRC once he's done in F1. :D

Great!!
more finns please LOL

SD MFUNF
23rd October 2007, 22:03
Should there be a Finnish Grand Prix?

I think there should, first KIMI RAIKKONEN as just won the F1 World Championship. As well as Raikkonen, (The Great) Mika Hakkinen and Keke Rosberg also won F1 Worl Championships. There is Heikki Kovalainen who is a rising star and also Keke's son Nico Rosberg (But he is classed as German). Other Finnish figures include JJ Letho and Mika Salo who were both very popular in F1. Please Bernie do the right thing, get a track build in Finalnd a give a Grand Prix to Finland!

So, does anybody agree with me?

No Finland is already honored at each race with a Finnish line

nigelred5
24th October 2007, 01:40

Ahvenisto is a good racetrack but far too narrow, also there is too few places for spectators,..... .

Who needs spectator areas. Don't you all just stand in the grass along the side of the track trying to grab a door handle anyway? ;)

janneppi
24th October 2007, 08:01
That's Portugal mate. ;)
We bring our own sofas to sit on while getting unpleasently drunk.

ShiftingGears
24th October 2007, 13:34

The 60's grand prix circuit probably comprised of public roads, then. Either that or it's destroyed.
http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Finland/Tampere.gif

Eki
24th October 2007, 13:37
The 60's grand prix circuit probably comprised of public roads, then. Either that or it's destroyed.
http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Finland/Tampere.gif
I found some info on the Tampere circuit. Looks like it was a road circuit used from the 30's to the 60's. It says here that the circuit was very narrow and VERY dangerous:

http://www.info.tampere.fi/~ypyvapri/Ajot/pyynikinajot2.htm

Tomi
24th October 2007, 14:26
[quote="Eki"]I found some info on the Tampere circuit. Looks like it was a road circuit used from the 30's to the 60's. It says here that the circuit was very narrow and VERY dangerous:

http://www.kakeh.com/pyynikki/pyyni69.htm

Pics from races at Tampere, called Pyynikki.

Eki
24th October 2007, 16:31
I found some info on the Tampere circuit. Looks like it was a road circuit used from the 30's to the 60's. It says here that the circuit was very narrow and VERY dangerous:

http://www.kakeh.com/pyynikki/pyyni69.htm

Pics from races at Tampere, called Pyynikki.
It's hard to believe the record average lap speed on a motorbike was almost 120 kph on a track like that in 1960. Makes the current drivers and riders with their wide gravel areas and tyre barriers look kind of sissy:

http://www.kakeh.com/pyynikki/images/1969_Pyynikki.jpg

A.F.F.
24th October 2007, 23:01
I agree 100%. For a country of its size to spawn three world champions, it obviously has such a rich motor sport heritage, but of course it's not going to happen. It is a cold, northern European country,

It is? :eek:

**** !! I want out of here! !

Eki
25th October 2007, 06:42
It is? :eek:

**** !! I want out of here! !
To come to think of it, Montreal has a GP even if it has colder winters than Helsinki:

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/climate/city_CYMX/meteo_Montreal

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/climate/city_EFHF/meteo_Helsinki-Malmi

OmarF1
25th October 2007, 18:09
I personally would love it, but looking at Bernie aka. the "F1 Grinch", I don't think Finland could be very good for marketing as India just to put an example, and the weather may not be ideal for F1 racing specs, plus Finnish drivers need that mistique, they should not be sell-outs like having 2 races in Spain just because of Fernando or 2 races in Germany just for the Schumster.. :D

tsarcasm
26th October 2007, 07:39
finland only has 5.2 million residents, ol' mophead doesn't figure a profit could be made. And Finland's govt would not allow bernard to extort money from them. a good thing for the taxpayers!

gm99
26th October 2007, 11:18
How about a night race around the streets of Rovaniemi in June? No floodlights would be needed :D

Placid
27th October 2007, 02:16
And there is Keke.

If a GP is needed in Finland, dub it as the Scandanavia GP.

Jarno
27th October 2007, 12:03
And there is Keke.

If a GP is needed in Finland, dub it as the Scandanavia GP.

Actually Finland isn't part of Scandinavia ;) How about the Nordic GP.

Eki
27th October 2007, 12:45
And there is Keke.

But where is JJ?

Erki
27th October 2007, 17:35
But where is JJ?

Should drive in ALMS for CET Solaroli racing(Porsche RS Spyder), paired with Johnny Herbert. Press releases have said that the car would be a dominator. Team has never shown up. :s tareup: