PDA

View Full Version : Bonehead of the race

ioan
22nd October 2007, 16:41
I'll give it to Fisi for getting into that Spyker's way like that.

22nd October 2007, 17:09
Well, I usually rate him and his comments, but for me the 'bonehead' of the race was Martin Brundle, who suggested that Mclaren might tell Alonso to drop back to let Hamilton become champion.

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 17:13
Well, I usually rate him and his comments, but for me the 'bonehead' of the race was Martin Brundle, who suggested that Mclaren might tell Alonso to drop back to let Hamilton become champion.
Are you serious? Brundle said that?

F1MAN2007
22nd October 2007, 17:16

I can't believe this? :rolleyes:

JasonD
22nd October 2007, 17:23

But not once, not twice, not even thrice. :rolleyes:

Mark
22nd October 2007, 17:25
Are you saying that mac would not do that?

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:32

What's so shocking about this ?..so for Ferrari it's ok to Have Massa let raikkonen pass in the pits...to get that necessary first place...But suppose....end of the race...Kimi crosses the line first..Massa second..no change for Alonso to become champion anymore..and Hamilton in 6th..don't you think it would be normal for Fernando to let Lewis pass so he would finish 5th ?

ioan
22nd October 2007, 17:37
...don't you think it would be normal for Fernando to let Lewis pass so he would finish 5th ?

Are we talking about the same Hamilton who publicly stated that he wants FA to quit McLaren and so on?

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 17:44
What's so shocking about this ?..so for Ferrari it's ok to Have Massa let raikkonen pass in the pits...to get that necessary first place...But suppose....end of the race...Kimi crosses the line first..Massa second..no change for Alonso to become champion anymore..and Hamilton in 6th..don't you think it would be normal for Fernando to let Lewis pass so he would finish 5th ?I'll tell you why it's shocking.
Fred had a chance to win the wdc all the way to the last lap of the race
if Kimi had an engine failiar.
I hope that is a good enough reason.
Genius

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:47
Are we talking about the same Hamilton who publicly stated that he wants FA to quit McLaren and so on?

what's your point ? both drivers work for Mclaren...so yes it would be also in Fernando's interest to keep the champion within the own team no ? It's called professionalism I think !

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:48
I'll tell you why it's shocking.
Fred had a chance to win the wdc all the way to the last lap of the race
if Kimi had an engine failiar.
I hope that is a good enough reason.
Genius

U should better read my post......I said what if Kimi and Felipe already crossed the line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ioan
22nd October 2007, 17:49
what's your point ? both drivers work for Mclaren...so yes it would be also in Fernando's interest to keep the champion within the own team no ? It's called professionalism I think !

Every person has something called self esteem! That's more important than money in some cases.

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 17:49
what's your point ? both drivers work for Mclaren...so yes it would be also in Fernando's interest to keep the champion within the own team no ? It's called professionalism I think !please address my post

ioan
22nd October 2007, 17:51
U should better read my post......I said what if Kimi and Felipe already crossed the line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well than Hamilton's race ended at that very moment as he crossed the line one lap down.

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:54
Every person has something called self esteem! That's more important than money in some cases.

lol ya right.....if that's the case it would show his lack of professionalism !

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:56
Well than Hamilton's race ended at that very moment as he crossed the line one lap down.

and if Fernando would not cross the line ?

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 17:57
What's so shocking about this ?..so for Ferrari it's ok to Have Massa let raikkonen pass in the pits...to get that necessary first place...But suppose....end of the race...Kimi crosses the line first..Massa second..no change for Alonso to become champion anymore..and Hamilton in 6th..don't you think it would be normal for Fernando to let Lewis pass so he would finish 5th ?SO FA gives up a podium so Lew can get 5th. Ridicules
It would have been too blatant of a violation of the rules. Oh yea' They don't apply to Hamilton

TL
22nd October 2007, 17:58
SO FA gives up a podium so Lew can get 5th. Ridicules

Massa gave up a victory at his home GP..Is that also ridiculous ?

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 18:05
Massa gave up a victory at his home GP..Is that also ridiculous ?Dude it wouldn't of been alowed!
Hamilton was about a week behind FA!
Hello anybody home?
I think it's time for you
to drop back ten, and punt!

TL
22nd October 2007, 18:14
Dude it wouldn't of been alowed!
Hamilton was about a week behind FA!
Hello anybody home?

what has this to do with my question of Felipe giving up a victory at his home GP to help Kimi become WC ? so for Fernando it's not ok (or allowed like u say) to help his teammate but for Felipe it is ? weird way of thinking Tazio

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 18:21
what has this to do with my question of Felipe giving up a victory at his home GP to help Kimi become WC ? so for Fernando it's not ok (or allowed like u say) to help his teammate but for Felipe it is ? weird way of thinking TazioIt just wasn't an option in this situation.
Fred would have lost his podium for absolutely no reason.
Now I suggest you are in way over your head
It is time for you to stop the bleeding

TL
22nd October 2007, 18:58
It just wasn't an option in this situation.
Fred would have lost his podium for absolutely no reason.

we where talking about what if Lewis was in 6th and he needed one more spot to become WC..You should really read my first post about this better...as you guys where sounding like it was a big crime to ask Fernando to give up his place in case Lewis still had a change to become WC and Alonso didn't

Tazio
22nd October 2007, 19:22
we where talking about what if Lewis was in 6th and he needed one more spot to become WC..You should really read my first post about this better...as you guys where sounding like it was a big crime to ask Fernando to give up his place in case Lewis still had a change to become WC and Alonso didn't
I appreciate your perspective but FA as long as he had 3 cars between him and LH he couldn't stop pushing until kimi, and Massa were close enough to the finish line to skid past Once Kimi and Massa took the flag was the second that FA had lost his chance to be wdc It was possible though very un likely that both Ferrari’s DNFed that would give FA p1 irrespective of the fact that if he had slowed down and let LH through. They would have both been penalized. The use of team orders in that particular situation would not have even come close to passing muster They could have tried it. But it could have kept FA from winning the wdc

Kevincal
22nd October 2007, 20:13
Bonehead of the race is EASILY Hamilton...lol. He threw away his championship! All he had to do was follow Fernando. But he let his TRUE EMOTIONS shine through. He can't stand Alonso so much that he won't even follow him for one race, to win the championship no less! Incredible.

Dzeidzei
22nd October 2007, 20:19
and if Fernando would not cross the line ?

Would not have made a difference. FA was already on the final lap, so end of story. And before the Ferraris crossed the line, anything was possible. Hell, even I waited something to break in Kimis car, but then I remembered that he´s not driving that silver piece of junk anymore.

Dzeidzei
22nd October 2007, 20:23
Massa gave up a victory at his home GP..Is that also ridiculous ?

Well, this is something we dont know. The Ferrari guys didnt race each other. As Kimi said they could have gone a lot faster, they were just easing home. To take for granted that Felipe would have won a real race is simply false.

That doesnt mean he might not have done it. We just cannot know for sure.

osg
22nd October 2007, 20:47
Bonehead of the race is EASILY Hamilton...lol. He threw away his championship! All he had to do was follow Fernando. But he let his TRUE EMOTIONS shine through. He can't stand Alonso so much that he won't even follow him for one race, to win the championship no less! Incredible.

+1...... then very closely followed by Brundle.... then Fisi. I still can't beleive that Allen and Brundle basically said Yamamoto was at fault in the collision... where the **** was he supposed to go? Fisi returned straight into the racing line....

wmcot
22nd October 2007, 21:32

I think you should ask yourself the question, "If Fernando was ordered to stop and let Lewis past, WOULD he have done it?" I doubt it!

(And he would have had to literally pull off the track for Lewis to pass him before he crossed the line.)

wmcot
22nd October 2007, 21:36
As far as bonehead of the race, I would have to pick Lewis. Not because I have anything against him as a driver, he just made a huge, unnecessary mistake a threw the WDC away. Fisi tried the same move Alonso has done earlier in the year at Canada and one other race but with different results.

tinchote
22nd October 2007, 22:03
+1...... then very closely followed by Brundle.... then Fisi. I still can't beleive that Allen and Brundle basically said Yamamoto was at fault in the collision... where the **** was he supposed to go? Fisi returned straight into the racing line....

They said that initially when there had no replay. When the replay was shown with Fisi crossing the track in front of Yamamoto, they didn't say it was Yamamoto's fault anymore.

Valve Bounce
22nd October 2007, 22:12
As far as bonehead of the race, I would have to pick Lewis. Not because I have anything against him as a driver, he just made a huge, unnecessary mistake a threw the WDC away. Fisi tried the same move Alonso has done earlier in the year at Canada and one other race but with different results.

Kid couldn't do the maths! If he had read our comments here, he would have known that all he had to do was follow Alonso home to win the championship. Instead he pulled of a bonehead move to run off the track instead.

Back to primary school for the winter, I think!! to learn which buttons to press: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33292

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd October 2007, 22:24

His mistake didn't lose him the championship though. It dropped him down to 7th and he was in 5th or 6th when the engine cut out and lost him 40seconds. With the pace he showed during the rest of the race he would probably been able to re catch Alonso.

Valve Bounce
22nd October 2007, 22:27
His mistake didn't lose him the championship though. It dropped him down to 7th and he was in 5th or 6th when the engine cut out and lost him 40seconds. With the pace he showed during the rest of the race he would probably been able to re catch Alonso.

Read this link please: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33292

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd October 2007, 22:34
Read this link please: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33292

As I said, Hamiltons mistake trying to pass Alonso didn't cost him the championship.

ioan
22nd October 2007, 23:32

British sites started to point the finger at him. Tough winter ahead for LH.

Kevincal
22nd October 2007, 23:39

His initial mistake was probably, most likely, directly related to his engine cutting out.

SparkyKate
22nd October 2007, 23:46

Well doesnt that just say it all?? Hamilton is number 1 bonehead of the race because he made mistake after mistake and thru away the championship...i totally agree though that Martin Brundle is the biggest bonehead at most races as he has no clue what hes talking about and spends most races windin me up. Then that seems to be a pre-requisite for being an F1 commenator, must be annoying, totally clueless and have huge blinkers where British drivers are concerned (did anyone kno their were other drivers on track??)...oh and having ever won a race is not essential.

Hawkmoon
23rd October 2007, 00:22
There were a few candidates:

Hamilton - Threw away the WDC with ill-fated pass on Alonso and (if rumours are to be believed) pushed the wrong button on the steering wheel and had to spend 40 seconds re-setting the system

Fisichella - Initially for being anywhere near a Spyker when he's driving a Renault and finally for spearing straight across the track after having an off and collecting said Spyker

Nakajima - Spot of ten pin bowling anyone?

Brundle - for even suggesting that Alonso would follow team orders and let Hamilton win. The comment was even dumber considering that Alonso was still in contention for the WDC at the time he said it.

Williams and BMW - For having irregular fuel temperatures that will mean we have to endure weeks of media speculation and forum arguments before we can truly celebrate Raikkonen's WDC

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 00:49
As I said, Hamiltons mistake trying to pass Alonso didn't cost him the championship.

....but it certainly put a lot of pressure on him - it could be argued that he lost his composure a little, and that may have resulted in his pressing the start button to stall his car for those precious 40 seconds.

However, one has to be realistic - it doesn't really matter. Lewis is very young by F1 standards, and he has many years ahead of racing at the elite level. He would have to be very unlucky not to get a race winning ride next year (up to Max and his cohorts here), because on level terms with Ferrari, maybe BMW also, Lewis will win lots more races.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 00:51
There were a few candidates:

Hamilton - Threw away the WDC with ill-fated pass on Alonso and (if rumours are to be believed) pushed the wrong button on the steering wheel and had to spend 40 seconds re-setting the system

Fisichella - Initially for being anywhere near a Spyker when he's driving a Renault and finally for spearing straight across the track after having an off and collecting said Spyker

Nakajima - Spot of ten pin bowling anyone?

Brundle - for even suggesting that Alonso would follow team orders and let Hamilton win. The comment was even dumber considering that Alonso was still in contention for the WDC at the time he said it.

Williams and BMW - For having irregular fuel temperatures that will mean we have to endure weeks of media speculation and forum arguments before we can truly celebrate Raikkonen's WDC

Sad that nobody bothered to mention Sutil.

Tazio
23rd October 2007, 00:58
RD never lies! He stated in that article it was a team mistake, of which LH is a member!

Rollo
23rd October 2007, 01:02

A precedent exists. Michael Schumacher at Suzuka had easily the fastest car of the weekend and proved it by running the fastest lap of the lap on the last lap.
By not challenging Hakkinen, he gave the title to Hakkinen rather than his own team mate Eddie Irvine who would have been World Champion if Schumacher had beaten Hakkinen on track.

Considering that Alonso was running for the World Championship in this very race himself, I think that Satan himself would have to be ice skating to work before he moved over and let Lewis through.

Given the mood of the camp over the past 9 or so races, I think that the only things that they might have to say to each other would most likely be spoken over using the Marquis of Queensbury's rules.

Hawkmoon
23rd October 2007, 01:08
Sad that nobody bothered to mention Sutil.

I must have missed this one. What happened to Sutil?

tsarcasm
23rd October 2007, 03:30
How about BoneHead of the Year:

and the winner is

RON DENNIS

Buzz Lightyear
23rd October 2007, 03:50
As far as bonehead of the race, I would have to pick Lewis. Not because I have anything against him as a driver, he just made a huge, unnecessary mistake a threw the WDC away.

you think he broke the gearbox?

Buzz Lightyear
23rd October 2007, 03:54
How about BoneHead of the Year:

and the winner is

RON DENNIS

Think Freddy get that one...

for trying to blackmailed his boss, or he would go to the FIA and tell it that he’d had emails from Ferrari.

Errrr... not that clever

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 05:41
I must have missed this one. What happened to Sutil?

Ran into ant's car from behind and got a drive through for his efforts. That's the second time a rammed ant.

Hawkmoon
23rd October 2007, 05:55
Ran into ant's car from behind and got a drive through for his efforts. That's the second time a rammed ant.

Ofcourse! I'd forgotten about that one. Add Sutil to the list!

GP-M3
23rd October 2007, 06:01

This is so true! Well said, and Hawkmoon also.

ioan
23rd October 2007, 08:23
... proved it by running the fastest lap of the lap on the last lap.

:s hock: Never seen that before! :p :

raikk
23rd October 2007, 08:35
I don't see how a gearbox failure would be Hamilton's fault.... it probally would of happened if he was 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, last.. he pushed it wide yes but he climbed back up to something like 4th or 5th THEN the gear box problem arose... Now if it were China I would agree... even though he was basiclly on slicks still he could of went in earlier.. bahh!

ioan
23rd October 2007, 10:01
I don't see how a gearbox failure would be Hamilton's fault.... it probally would of happened if he was 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, last.. he pushed it wide yes but he climbed back up to something like 4th or 5th THEN the gear box problem arose... Now if it were China I would agree... even though he was basiclly on slicks still he could of went in earlier.. bahh!

Some sites (British ones) are reporting that he pushed the Start button by mistake!

So it was no gearbox failure.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 10:10

You missed this, didn't you? http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33292

It wasn't a gearbox failure - he pressed the start button and had to reload the software. There is a picture of one of the F1 steering wheels on the pitpass webpage, and probably many others, and they are quite complicated things with an array of buttons. It was suggested that he pressed the wrong button.

TL
23rd October 2007, 11:29
Some sites (British ones) are reporting that he pushed the Start button by mistake!

So it was no gearbox failure.

saw the "questionmark" with the title ? so they are just guessing if he did.....Not saying he actualy did...Big difference !

ioan
23rd October 2007, 11:33
saw the "questionmark" with the title ? so they are just guessing if he did.....Not saying he actualy did...Big difference !

:D
Let's try again, straight from the horse's mouth:

"My finger slipped on the steering wheel and I accidentally pressed the button used for the starting sequence,"

"The car went into neutral and I had to reinitialize the system, that is, reload the gearbox management program,"

Link:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071022220432.shtml

Please let me know if you have further questions! ;)

janneppi
23rd October 2007, 11:42
It sounds odd that he could start a program that puts the car into neutral at high speeds. One would think there is a thingy in the software to prevent unwanted action in case of a accidental slip of finger.
That is of course if Hamilton isn't covering for McLarens mechanical gremlins.

23rd October 2007, 12:01
Just going back to Brundle's comments for a moment....and if the race positions were such that the 'call' to Fernando had to be made....wouldn't it be great to have been in ear-shot of Ron Dennis when he went on the radio!

"Erm, err, erm, well, err, 'Nando my old mate, no hard feelings eh? all water under the bridge isn't it....erm, I'm really, really, really sorry for not speaking to you and not giving you number one status and, well, erm, i'm just really sorry, err, but, well, you see the thing is....erm, well, would you mind?"

In a way I'm kind of gutted that the situation never arose, as I suspect that "Go ****ing Swivel" would have been the most broadcastable bit of alonso's reply.

ioan
23rd October 2007, 12:16
It sounds odd that he could start a program that puts the car into neutral at high speeds. One would think there is a thingy in the software to prevent unwanted action in case of a accidental slip of finger.

You can't program a driver's brain to prevent accidental slip of finger. :p :

Seriously I can't remember anyone with the same problem so maybe there is no need for a software to do that, with the exception of Hamilton.

There was certainly nothing broken in there given that it worked perfectly afterwards for 60 laps.

23rd October 2007, 12:20
Seriously I can't remember anyone with the same problem so maybe there is no need for a software to do that, with the exception of Hamilton.

It's not quite the same, and it's not the same level of technology, but in last weekends V8 SuperCar race at Surfers Paradise, Jamie Whincup accidentally hit the pit-lane rev limiter on his out-lap.

People make mistakes, no matter how talented they are.

Except me, obviously.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 13:20
Well, my foot slipped off the bicycle pedal the other day! :p :

Ranger
23rd October 2007, 13:24
Well, my foot slipped off the bicycle pedal the other day! :p :
Did it cost you 30 seconds? :p :

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 13:48
Did it cost you 30 seconds? :p :

Well, no!! I was able to get my foot back on the pedal real quick. :)

23rd October 2007, 14:17
Well, no!! I was able to get my foot back on the pedal real quick. :)

Come on, Valve....if you had been on a Mclaren bike then it wouldn't have been that simple....

You would have had to internally reset the position of the power-supplying appendage on the power-supply appendage holder.

ioan
23rd October 2007, 14:32
Come on, Valve....if you had been on a Mclaren bike then it wouldn't have been that simple....

You would have had to internally reset the position of the power-supplying appendage on the power-supply appendage holder.

:up: :rotflmao: :up:

Bagwan
23rd October 2007, 15:21
I'd like to see more of the lead-up to Fisi's trip across the gravel and into the Spyker's way before I call him a bonehead . He had some momentum , and perhaps Kaz might have had something to do with it on the way in .

Hamilton wins this title . He is a rookie , we must remember .
He was clearly expecting better from the first corner , and could not hold himself back .

He was rattled , and it showed in his driving .
Hitting the start button was just another example of how much the pressure of his championship hopes evaporating before his eyes got to him .

I feel for the guy , as it must be tough right now , but everyone needs to be deemed a bonehead now and then , just for perspective .
Bonehead Lewis will get over it , and hopefully , it does not become a chronic issue .
He told us that he was very relaxed before the race . Maybe it was a little too relaxed before the first turn .

Tazio
23rd October 2007, 15:27
Fisi was the bigger bonehead for the simple fact
that what he did was unnecessarily dangerous. Very surprising too,
because that guy has had a knack for staying out of trouble!

samuratt
23rd October 2007, 18:57
Bonhead of the race: Hamilton. You can't throw away a championship that was on the bag that way. He was very stupid to fight his position back with Alonso when all he needed was a 5th position. Furthermore let me remind you all that he alone has been unable to get 4 points in the final 2 races of the seasson. And don't blame the car or the team, cause the McLaren is the solely responsible for enable him to battle for the tittle till the last race. Had he been driving a Spyker he wouldn't be the rookie of the seasson.

Anyway he is a very talented driver and if he learns from this year he will become champion someday soon.

cheers

Dzeidzei
24th October 2007, 08:00

BTW, is McLaren running Windows?

Let´s buy Bill Gates a big bottle of Finlandia :)