PDA

View Full Version : Will Petty & Labonte switch cars ?

RaceFanStan
21st October 2007, 02:19
Kyle Petty in the #45 is 35th in Owner's Points going into Martinsville.
(the #45 is only 109 points ahead of the #21 Wood Bros car in 36th)
Bobby Labonte in the #43 is 18th in Owner's Points going into Martinsville.

If the drivers of the #45 & #43 switched cars ...
then Kyle Petty would be guaranteed to start the race in the #43 ...
& Bobby Labonte in the #45 would have a previous champion's provisional ...
both Petty cars would make the race & it isn't against the rules ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Kyle Petty has mentioned such a senario could happen :
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/10/20/kpetty.blabonte.switch/index.html

harvick#1
21st October 2007, 05:49
a Petty back in the 43, only fitting :D

jslone
21st October 2007, 06:33
Is Petty that desperate at this point in his career?

RaikkonenRules
21st October 2007, 09:28
Wish they'd get rid of the champ's provisional. Bill Elliott prevented Sam Hornish from making Martinsville with his one.

Jonesi
21st October 2007, 10:25
Is Petty that desperate at this point in his career?

Probably, the difference between being in the top 35 at the start of the year and not, could mean keeping sponsors or losing them. So it may be a $5-10 million decision, and it may be the deciding factor in PE remaining independant or forced to merge.
Something that was mentioned in the Bill Elliott #21 deal. There's and extra week lead time to apply for Champ Prov status, deadline is 13 days before race. So today is race #32, #33 is already too late and the decision would have to be made by tomorrow for race #34.

ms0362
21st October 2007, 14:58
Maybe the potential Petty/Everham thing might bring a boost. They've got the motors now, but need help in everything else. I think Petty should retire from driving and manage the team, and do some announcing because he's pretty good at it. I've always been stunned at the downturn of LaBonte's career. He use to be the guy to beat.

Jonesi
21st October 2007, 16:29
Maybe the potential Petty/Everham thing might bring a boost. They've got the motors now, but need help in everything else. I think Petty should retire from driving and manage the team, and do some announcing because he's pretty good at it. I've always been stunned at the downturn of LaBonte's career. He use to be the guy to beat.

How much of a downturn? He's 17th in points the 3rd place Dodge driver (behind only the Penske cars) in a team which has stuggled in recent years to get out of the back of the field. He's also ahead of two Roush drivers, and the guy who took his old ride. At 43 that's still pretty good in today's competitive field.

jslone
22nd October 2007, 00:50
I think Bobby could have done better if the cars he had were better.Nothing wrong with the team,but the cars were not perfect for Bobby.

Jonesi
22nd October 2007, 01:55
With Bill Elliott's #21 motor blowing, Petty is probably safe enough not to need to swap rides.