PDA

View Full Version : Cold Killers

slinkster
20th October 2007, 16:01
Someone bought me some anti-viral tissues yesterday because I have a cold. It says on the box that the tissues have a layer in them that kills 99.9% of cold and flu germs. So, I was wondering, if I eat one of the tissues... will it kill off my cold?? And, if they can put these thingies in tissues to kill 99.9% of cold and flu germs... why dont they put it in a tablet or something so we can be cured?? :confused:

BDunnell
20th October 2007, 16:13
Someone bought me some anti-viral tissues yesterday because I have a cold. It says on the box that the tissues have a layer in them that kills 99.9% of cold and flu germs. So, I was wondering, if I eat one of the tissues... will it kill off my cold?? And, if they can put these thingies in tissues to kill 99.9% of cold and flu germs... why dont they put it in a tablet or something so we can be cured?? :confused:

Maybe they put in a nice little placebo?

I'd forget about eating one of the tissues. Wrap yourself in them all year round and you won't get a cold. If everyone did that, the common cold would be cured.

Perdita_X
20th October 2007, 17:16
I've been saying this for years!!!!!!

I actually think that there already is a cure for the common cold, but the Pharmaceutical companies have agreed between themselves that they will surpress it, because with all the lemsips, sinutab, vicks rubs and sniffy sticks we buy when we have a cold, they would lose too much money!

...not that I am a conspiracy theorist or anything you understand!! ;)

slinkster
20th October 2007, 17:16
Maybe they put in a nice little placebo?

I'd forget about eating one of the tissues. Wrap yourself in them all year round and you won't get a cold. If everyone did that, the common cold would be cured.

I like your thinking. Warmth and virus protection all rolled into one.

Eki
20th October 2007, 18:00
I like your thinking. Warmth and virus protection all rolled into one.
And living in center of a pyramid shaped structure will boost the cure.

Drew
20th October 2007, 18:29

Would the enzymes in your saliva not destroy this layer?

I've always found the best way to get rid of a cold is lots of fruit :)

slinkster
20th October 2007, 18:39
There's definitely something on them, they have these blue dots on the middle layer and not that I've tried to eat them but I may have inadvertently licked one :mark: and they do taste funny.

jim mcglinchey
22nd October 2007, 09:44
Its around this time of tear that I start taking daily a capsule of cod liver oil to prevent colds.

Dave B
22nd October 2007, 12:13
I bought some man-size tissues recently.

Rubbish. The average man is about six feet tall, these tissues are at best ten inches. Who do I sue?

Daniel
22nd October 2007, 12:23

Rubbish. The average man is about six feet tall, these tissues are at best ten inches. Who do I sue?
Perhaps they're Dennis Waterman sized?

Hazell B
22nd October 2007, 15:56

Instantly thought of several punchlines, but can use none of them here :mark:

Anyway, the anti-cold stuff only works on the virus outside as our body would break down the bug-killer before it killed the virus inside. If that made sense the way I said it, I'll be shocked! But I know what I mean :p :

And no, there can't be a surefire general cold remedy that would work, as the virus changes too much even from one person to the next. It may work on one version of a cold, but no others. It may work on one person with a cold, but not the person they passed it to. It really can alter itself that much, sadly.

I'm also told the 'flu vaccine given to all pensioners and those at risk isn't that good some years, but honestly don't know much about it. My neighbour is diabetic and it worked fine for her over the past few years, all she had was a mild cold once or twice.

slinkster
22nd October 2007, 16:31
Anyway, the anti-cold stuff only works on the virus outside as our body would break down the bug-killer before it killed the virus inside. If that made sense the way I said it, I'll be shocked! But I know what I mean :p :

doh. Yep I hear you Hazell. Our defences would kill the bug before it got chance... I suppose along the same lines as drew said. *sigh*. Guess I'm stuck with it for the time being then!

So we can kill them outside but not inside. Cold viruses are obviously tough little buggers.. I even heard something about them being used in the research into fighting cancer!

LotusElise
22nd October 2007, 16:36
I've been saying this for years!!!!!!

I actually think that there already is a cure for the common cold, but the Pharmaceutical companies have agreed between themselves that they will surpress it, because with all the lemsips, sinutab, vicks rubs and sniffy sticks we buy when we have a cold, they would lose too much money!

...not that I am a conspiracy theorist or anything you understand!! ;)

On the contrary, I think that anyone who developed an effective treatment for the common cold would be a very wealthy person indeed.

rah
23rd October 2007, 04:57
doh. Yep I hear you Hazell. Our defences would kill the bug before it got chance... I suppose along the same lines as drew said. *sigh*. Guess I'm stuck with it for the time being then!

So we can kill them outside but not inside. Cold viruses are obviously tough little buggers.. I even heard something about them being used in the research into fighting cancer!

Kiling the flu virus on the outside is easy. Any antispetic will do it. As yet there is no cure for any virus including the common cold.

I heard about the flu being used on cancer as well. Sounded interesting. Mainly it was a particular strand of flu being injected into melanomas, it would then go around the body and kill any other melanomas.

One of the best things I have heard is if you feel the flu or cold coming on, take lots of vitamin C as soon as possible.

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:22
On the contrary, I think that anyone who developed an effective treatment for the common cold would be a very wealthy person indeed.

Yes, but only because the companies who make cold relief drugs would pay them millions to keep quiet.

The simple cold costs an average person hundreds of pounds in their life - some people spend thousands. That's far more profitable than paying for one jab each year and never buying Beechams again ;)

How you feeling Slinkster? At least you know it won't last too long. What is it, about five days we usually feel nasty? Over the past couple of years I've bought Tesco own brand cold relief capsules and felt not so bad at all after the first two days. In fact, there's two boxes full waiting in the cupboard right now :p :

slinkster
23rd October 2007, 22:26
How you feeling Slinkster? At least you know it won't last too long. What is it, about five days we usually feel nasty? Over the past couple of years I've bought Tesco own brand cold relief capsules and felt not so bad at all after the first two days. In fact, there's two boxes full waiting in the cupboard right now :p :

Thanks for asking Hazell. Right now, I feel like my head's been over inflated like a balloon. Why colds are always worse in the evening I don't know?? But, I'm also drugged up to the eyeballs with sudafed and Vix Vapor rub. I'm past caring if the two are a healthy combination! :eek: :cool: :dozey: :s mokin:

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:40
Never tried Sudafed.

Last winter I tried making my own Beechams powders, as the local shop was sold out. All they contain is paracetamol and caffiene, so I took two paracetamol and drank filter coffee - what a result! Brilliant, but only at the end of a cold.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. If not, the day after at the longest :)

slinkster
23rd October 2007, 22:44
aaah Sudafed is awesome... as long as you can breathe through your nose enough to snort enough of the spray up your nose! That's the only downside.

It's currently on it's fourth day so hopefully I'm passed the worst! :)

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:50
I can honestly say I've never snorted anything but raspberry snuff.
Done a lot of strange things in my time, but not snorting of hard drugs :p :

Shall say it was recommended to me, now :laugh:

schmenke
24th October 2007, 18:29
...One of the best things I have heard is if you feel the flu or cold coming on, take lots of vitamin C as soon as possible.

That will do bugger-all. If you feel cold/flu symptoms it's already too late. The virus has already incubated in your body.
Taking vitamin C is effective as a preventative measure before you're infected with the virus, as it strengthens your antibodies. It's around this time of year when I start taking vitamin C supplements.

I take Sudafed for my allergies.