PDA

View Full Version : O/t Do you have a supportive family towards scsa cup racing

car20
19th October 2007, 19:14
thought the comments by skid towards his missus was quiet funny so was thinking , How supportive are your family's towards you as a fan ie going to rockingham for your fix or if your involved with a team.

My wife has now come around to having some interest now that she has been and met some of the drivers my son is hooked so now the question of going to rockingham isn't such a battle!

interesting to hear how much family's support people get! You hear some horror stories of divorce with lads who follow footy ??

Glen 320
19th October 2007, 20:44
My wife is a big a fan as i am,even twisting my arm to go when i've been a bit reluctant!
She is a big Mark Willis fan,even bought a t shirt, though the only time she's worn it was when we watched the craftsman truck races in the states.

Gasman
19th October 2007, 21:21
Great support from ALL the family since the 2002 Rockingham season.

That's... Dad (me) wearing Dale Jr (sometimes Sr) gear, Son (now age 10yrs) in Tony Stewart jacket and hat, Daughter (now aged 12yrs) in NASCAR or Bristol Motor Speedway hat and Dale Jr top and even (long-suffering but enormously patient and supportive wife) wife in a Kelly-Jane Wells hat.

Plus the whole crew have been taken to watch races at Daytona FL, Bristol TN, New Smyrna FL, and Bradenton (DeSoto) FL, and even seemed to enjoy it. All in all, quite a NASCAR family.

Couldn't be much better really...!

(They do admit, though that they miss the "glory days" of 2003-4 with big meetings at RMS with all the other family entertainment that was on offer then. However, they still seem pretty keen to carry on coming with me for the time being and did enjoy Motorfest '07 which felt a bit more like the old days.)

Speedworx
19th October 2007, 21:30
My parents are also into racing and attned Rockingham when they can (once or twice a season)

shuz7
20th October 2007, 10:50
My husband is one of the racing drivers and I would not miss a single Sunday race if I could avoid it. The only problem I face is my 7 year old daughter and my 2 year old son gets very bored, so on the race days they stay with my parents.

Sticker Rub
20th October 2007, 11:14
My wife loathes all motorsport, can't understand what I see in it & the nearest she's ever been to a circuit is driving past Silverstone en route to to family on the south coast. Eldest son used to come with me when kids got in free with season ticket holders but stopped coming when that benefit was withdrawn a few years ago & found other interests. Youngest son has become a bit of a petrolhead recently through watching Top Gear so I'm working on him. I once took him to an MGCC clubby at the Rock but it turned out to be a freezing cold day with multiple red flags & long stoppages so he got bored & hasn't been back since. I live in hope that he'll get the bug but it's difficult to take him along now I marshal. Hopefully when he's 16, I can persuade him to join me on the bank.

Turkeyneck
20th October 2007, 13:26
I've been in & around some form of motorsport (as well as being an armchair supporter) for over 25 years. Helping Tony (Porky) Paxman in National Hot Rods right through the 'heady' Eurocar day's with Team Brask & now in the Pick ups with Steve Rusty Pearce. The wife came along in the early days to a few meetings but didn't really like it, too much like a boy's weekend for her. She doesn't really mind now when we go away on a race weekend, she knows that we all have a great time, doing something we enjoy & are not getting into any trouble.

jimmylad
21st October 2007, 14:26
My family, they are not into motorsport moslty really. My mum, started off not liking the iead of me going places as far as silverstone, at first, but has since come round. She only comes to oulton park, for my track expiences's. The main people who are into motorsport are my cousin, her boyfreind and my other cousin. They are into bikes, and are the ones who got me into it. My cousin and her boyfriend are supposed to be coming a car event with me, so i said best place is rockingham.

Nick Brad
21st October 2007, 15:27
Heck, I'd just be happy with the supportive family, let alone one that supported my racing interests.
My partner came with me when we first got together, (although it turns out she had an alterior motive for coming,) no noe else really understands the thrill of racing, more so oval racing although my father used to race on the short ovals. He's moved on and has a new family life now so I don't see him all that much, but it would be nice if they came just for one race.
My ex also used to be into the racing, but their new partner doesn't like racing and so that's another fan out of the window. I still try and drag as many people along whenever I can though and don't let them knock down my interests. I love racing and i'll be around it for the rest of my life, regardless of if those around me like it. :D

darknessrock
21st October 2007, 19:50
My family are very supportive, (apart from making me miss the August meeting to take me to MIS for NASCAR!), My wife gets me a season pass for my birthday every year, and my youngest lad always comes to every meeting, although he comes more for the trucks than the scsa's. The whole family used to come when the "entertainment" was on (busted etc), but I personally prefer not to have that..( means less hassle from kids wanting fairground rides!!), anyway, my youngest thinks it's much better to sit in Gavs truck, or Robs car, eat cheerios and jelly beans, than it would be to go round the fair!

pickup
22nd October 2007, 11:25
Neil Tressler (pickup 37) his whole family are the team, his wife and two daughters are crew chief,spotter, and pit crew hows that for support not sure if they visit the forum but well done to them !

Larissa
22nd October 2007, 16:37
:) Hi im Neil Tresslers daughter Larissa and im his spotter. its nice to see people taking notice that families do get involved. and yes we do look at the forum

Chigley
22nd October 2007, 17:19
:) Hi im Neil Tresslers daughter Larissa and im his spotter. its nice to see people taking notice that families do get involved. and yes we do look at the forum

Hi Larissa,

Welcome to the forum, a pleasure to meet you at the weekend even if I didn't know of the total Tressler family involvement.

Makes a change for a daughter to be able to tell her "old man" what to do! ;) :D

Ian

car20
22nd October 2007, 17:31
cool much what i thought that like most things you either love it or ya hate it when it comes to spectator.

but those that help out be it family members wives and kids it'll be like a family outing :)

my missus is a book keeper and i was told we can't afford it forget it( she would if we had more money) when it came to me at going racing, she put a stop to my visit to the bank to remortgage the house (wise decision really :)

i don't think i would trust any off my family as my spotter though !!!!!!!! at least you can hold him to ransome if you want anything ;)

getting the family involved will cut down on the arguements and fallings out but remember it's all about balance!

pickup
22nd October 2007, 17:34
Welcome to the Tressler team!

Dave17
24th October 2007, 15:31
I won't bring the wife, I want to enjoy myself......... :laugh:

dsracer28
26th October 2007, 18:40
I have been racing all my life my dad is a mechanic for Phil White and has been for longer than i have been alive, (i'm 20) i grew up around the short ovals with my dad and mum being there. Phil then moved into Eurocars where the parents still went. Phil started pickups in 2001 and been there ever since and got more involved as i got older. Now i'm with the viking team (long story) and my dad is still with phil white. Family loves racing its great!!! :)

just_smile99
26th October 2007, 23:03
i think everyone no's my story lol

most of my family are into racing, three of my cousins used to race, i think two still do, one of my cousins bf races, i got involved through KRRacing, and am now with mtec and pete wilky, and my daddy, his girlfriend (sarah!) and my baby brother are now with revolution. but i love it...and im slowly being taught mechanics!!! if suminkj goes wrong with either of those trucks please dont blame me!!! lol

x