PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Channel 4!

Hazell B
18th October 2007, 23:08
Over the years I've cursed the UK's Channel 4 on an almost weekly basis. The 14 year old who probably runs the channel takes off very good shows after two weeks, stops buying even better shows, force feeds us Friends ten times each day (at least) and hides series I've tried watching each week. Where the shows are hidden, we will never know. Often it involves showing something until I'm hooked, then swapping it's day, time, channel and even when I've tracked it down the beggars start it early and I miss the first few minutes.

But now they're re-showing the best ever bit of UK TV. Perfectly scripted, superbly cast, well made and bloody funny.

Queer As Folk :up:

What has Channel 4 done for your viewing over the past 25 years?

Malbec
19th October 2007, 00:34

They've been just about the only large British media organisation not to swallow the government's spin on what its doing to the NHS and ask some very hard questions of them.

Just for that I'm eternally grateful.

But on top of that they've got programmes like Dispatches and C4 news which are probably the best in their field.

Azumanga Davo
19th October 2007, 05:13
Harry Hill. But none of his programs (either C4 or ITV ones) are broadcast here in Oz, so darn... :(

Rollo
19th October 2007, 05:48
Apart from Father Ted, Black Books, Banzai, Eurotrash, Beat The Nation, The Girlie Show, Brat Camp, Supernanny and The Comic Strip Presents, what has Channel 4 done for us?

NOTHING!!

pino
19th October 2007, 07:11

Italian Football :up: :p :

BDunnell
19th October 2007, 09:41
Brass Eye. The most necessary satire I think has existed in recent years. Plus, off the top of my head, there's Father Ted and a string of good, hard-hitting documentaries (albeit mixed with lots of rubbish in recent years.)

JaysonM
19th October 2007, 11:05
Again thanky Channel 4

wedge
19th October 2007, 13:58
Over the years I've cursed the UK's Channel 4 on an almost weekly basis. The 14 year old who probably runs the channel takes off very good shows after two weeks, stops buying even better shows, force feeds us Friends ten times each day (at least) and hides series I've tried watching each week. Where the shows are hidden, we will never know. Often it involves showing something until I'm hooked, then swapping it's day, time, channel and even when I've tracked it down the beggars start it early and I miss the first few minutes.

That is the major gripe that I have with C4!!!!

Apart from Friends, almost every US import is shown inconsistantly after a few seasons. I'd given up on the likes of West Wing, Sopranos and NYPD Blue until the advent of digital TV.

AndyRAC
19th October 2007, 14:13
Bremner, Bird & Fortune!!
Their sport coverage is a joke, putting it on a Saturday morning at silly o'clock, used to have Italian Football, but got rid because it got in the way of endless repeats of Friends, Popworld, etc

Hazell B
19th October 2007, 20:55
Apart from Friends, almost every US import is shown inconsistantly after a few seasons. I'd given up on the likes of West Wing, Sopranos and NYPD Blue until the advent of digital TV.

Me too. They've been doing the same thing for over 15 years now. It started with Nurses, then other things I liked watching such as Nip/Tuck, Frasier and other sitcom imports.

The worsy crime, though, was The Secret Life of Us being shown only in the early hours on changing nights. Given a 10pm friday slot it would have been bigger than Friends. They wasted that chance to get viewers totally. Morons!

Drew
20th October 2007, 18:25
I've always thought of Channel 4 as the channel that tries to push the boundaries of what is legally possible on tele, without being on the whole tacky.