PDA

View Full Version : How EXACTLY do Private Number plates work?

speedy king
18th October 2007, 19:10
Heard alot of different stories how you can't have a starting letter which makes your car look newer than it is yet you can have an older years letter...etc etc

Is there truth in that?

And also, my car is a T reg, 1999, can i purchase the plate CA51HAM as thats a new style plate?

Please no smirky remarks about how they work by making the owner look a cock, we're all entitled to our own opinions. :)

Daniel
18th October 2007, 20:14
AFAIK no you can't do that. You can only have an identifier older than your car. So you could have anything T reg or older :) This is basically so you can't buy a 57 reg plate and make someone thinking they're getting a newish car :mark:

P.S that plate wouldn't make you look like a cock because it's not obviously a private plate ;)

inimitablestoo
18th October 2007, 20:49
Indeed you can't "sex up" your car's age with a newer number plate, but you could always try looking for C47HAM, which sort of works. Additionally you can't do anything with the bolts on the plate (painting them black to turn 11 into H for instance, or indeed painting them the same colour as the plate to turn them back the other way), you can't space the letters and numbers out in a way other than the DVLA intended, and you can't (for plates 51-reg and later) have a font other than the one specified (there's an amnesty for the older plates, as the law used to say merely that the lettering should be black on white or yellow, depending on which end of the car it's on).

Or follow the Mark Radcliffe method and change your name by deed poll to T451 HKO or whatever your plate is :)

GridGirl
18th October 2007, 21:25
Try looking on the DVLA website. :)

http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/

Hazell B
22nd October 2007, 16:57
Try looking for an Irish plate, as they don't have 'age' on them like 51, etc.
They've also got more variations, though finding one to work isn't as easy for some names.

My vehicle's almost 16, so hard to find something for too. But as the current plate happens to look private anyway (by chance, it's actually it's third reg. number in it's life!) I can't be bothered changing it again :p :

Mark
22nd October 2007, 17:02
A lot of 'private' numbers are actually Northern Irish plates.

racing59
27th October 2007, 22:06
And through some old loopholes - even southern irish plates (those with Z's in them)

Anyone want R800FLY, I have it up for sale on a retention certificate.

If you have your R8, and you fly for a living, why not!!

OIRO £400

Some police forces take a very dim view of people who flout the rules & regs for numberplates.

Cambridgeshire went through a phase of nicking people who persistently flouted the layout rules.

I've seen plenty of post 1973 cars with black background plates too. I was following a 55 plate Range Rover sporting black/silver plates.

If Mr Plod wishes to, he can do you for (a) not displaying the vehicle registration number (what number plates? can't see any here sir!), and then (b) all of the offences that you commit through (a) = vehicle in an unroadworthy condition = no insurance = etc....

Rob.

Daniel
28th October 2007, 00:41
And through some old loopholes - even southern irish plates (those with Z's in them)

Anyone want R800FLY, I have it up for sale on a retention certificate.

If you have your R8, and you fly for a living, why not!!

OIRO £400

Some police forces take a very dim view of people who flout the rules & regs for numberplates.

Cambridgeshire went through a phase of nicking people who persistently flouted the layout rules.

I've seen plenty of post 1973 cars with black background plates too. I was following a 55 plate Range Rover sporting black/silver plates.

If Mr Plod wishes to, he can do you for (a) not displaying the vehicle registration number (what number plates? can't see any here sir!), and then (b) all of the offences that you commit through (a) = vehicle in an unroadworthy condition = no insurance = etc....

Rob.
and he should if you're a twit who's too concerned with what your plate says about you and your small wee wee that you need to break the law.

Drew
28th October 2007, 02:54
Alot of private number plates at home (Devon) are black and white or in German style. However up here in North Wales, I never see any like that, maybe North Wales Police are more fascist?