PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood blames Halo 3 for them making rubbish movies

Daniel
17th October 2007, 12:50
http://www.dailytech.com/Halo+3+Blamed+for+Poor+Hollywood+Box+Office+Result s/article9285.htm

When will Hollywood learn that simply having good effects or big names in a movie won't make it great. Has anyone seen the previews for Black Sheep but it looks hilarious and appears to have been made for less than what the Heartbreak Kid's makers probably spent on tomato sauce for the catering. Why not try and make good movies rather than the same old boring twaddle?

Dave B
17th October 2007, 13:26
A good movie has an engaging story and uses effects only when necessary to tell that story.

Too often recently filmakers have discovered how to do a particular effect, then hastily cobbled together a film which allows them to showcase it.

jim mcglinchey
17th October 2007, 13:37
...then they make another few quid by selling the software / techniques to advertising agencies and you see it on TV everynight.

Daniel
17th October 2007, 13:41
A good movie has an engaging story and uses effects only when necessary to tell that story.

Too often recently filmakers have discovered how to do a particular effect, then hastily cobbled together a film which allows them to showcase it.
Exactly. Same goes for games as well. Sometimes game makers are too obsessed with fancy effects and such rather than just making something that's fun to play!

At the end of the day the movie is by and large responsible for whether it flops or not.

janneppi
17th October 2007, 16:24
Interestingly enough, Halo3 was marketed more aggressively than any game I've seen before, much more than any movie at the time.
One would think it's the second coming of Jesus when it's actually a mere first person shooter where you kill aliens. No wonder it needs heavy advertisement, it's the oldest story in gaming. :p :

Daniel
17th October 2007, 16:27
Interestingly enough, Halo3 was marketed more aggressively than any game I've seen before, much more than any movie at the time.
One would think it's the second coming of Jesus when it's actually a mere first person shooter where you kill aliens. No wonder it needs heavy advertisement, it's the oldest story in gaming. :p :
Yes but Halo spawned RvB :D I personally don't really like Halo that much because I don't "get" those sort of games on a console. But it seems to make a lot of people happy and who can complain with that? :)

Sleeper
17th October 2007, 20:04
Yes but Halo spawned RvB :D I personally don't really like Halo that much because I don't "get" those sort of games on a console. But it seems to make a lot of people happy and who can complain with that? :)
Hollywood? ;)