PDA

View Full Version : Drug testing? Amps in F1? Explanation for FA?

markabilly
17th October 2007, 11:38
I saw the headline ( Ralf aiming to end on a high) from http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2803303,00.html

and got to thinking, what type, if any drug testing goes on of F1 drivers, and if any use chemical [performance maximizers] such as steroids, or even more for this sport, some amps....has ever been noted or discussed

the use of such stuff, can produce some "anti-social boiling over with rage" mental conditions in some, even feelings of extreme paranoia like someone thinking someone is getting a special deal behind his back, busting up doors......

Anyway it seems every other sport has become so hyper-drug testing, in extreme, (as well as every employer, ranging from large corporations to people working as janitors)-- I was wondering if the F1 boys are having to do the same as many a poor janitor and front desk receptionist?

:confused:

Mark
17th October 2007, 11:41
The answer is yes, F1 drivers are subject to random drugs testing. I remeber an issue with Martin Brundle a few years back who failed a drugs test but it turned out to be nothing more sinister than a flu remedy.

Fortunately for F1 there isn't much in the way of drugs which can help them, out and out fitness is the only advantage and there aren't any real shortcuts to that.

That being said the testing is very lax. The first test of the 2007 season was not until Magny Cours and only then on a small random selection of drivers; Kimi Raikkonen, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Rosberg, Tonio Liuzzi and Anthony Davidson

markabilly
17th October 2007, 11:55
The answer is yes, F1 drivers are subject to random drugs testing. I remeber an issue with Martin Brundle a few years back who failed a drugs test but it turned out to be nothing more sinister than a flu remedy.

Fortunately for F1 there isn't much in the way of drugs which can help them, out and out fitness is the only advantage and there aren't any real shortcuts to that.

That being said the testing is very lax. The first test of the 2007 season was not until Magny Cours and only then on a small random selection of drivers; Kimi Raikkonen, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Rosberg, Tonio Liuzzi and Anthony Davidson
Might want to explain that to some bicycle riders in france :D

the only drug i could think of would be amps...the beloved US Air Force has been known to furnish fighter pilots in combat over Iraq some stuff like that

ChrisS
17th October 2007, 11:55
the FIA posts who was tested and the results on its website

markabilly
17th October 2007, 12:43
Might be interesting to test all three, Kimi FA and LH regardless of where they finish immediately after the race, just to see....naw, that might cause an uproar, and if one failed, then it would definitely impact revenue for next year, if the one failing was the WDC......no way that "cup" gets tested

tinchote
17th October 2007, 12:55
I have to say that I find it intriguing that these days, with way shorter braking distances than before (and thus less possible reaction time) the drivers seem to miss they braking points very rarely. It used to be that concentration lapses happened during the races, but it appears to happen less and less. One possible explanation is the fitness level of the drivers, but taking into account that were a talking a multi-million business here, they will be trying to get any possible advantage.

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 13:14
I have to say that I find it intriguing that these days, with way shorter braking distances than before (and thus less possible reaction time) the drivers seem to miss they braking points very rarely. It used to be that concentration lapses happened during the races, but it appears to happen less and less. One possible explanation is the fitness level of the drivers, but taking into account that were a talking a multi-million business here, they will be trying to get any possible advantage.

There is now a level of almost metronomic perfection in many top-line motorsport competitors when outside circumstances don't intervene. I think it is this high normal standard that makes many 'fans' so critical when someone makes even a minor mistake.

patnicholls
17th October 2007, 13:33
Tomas Enge lost the 2002 F3000 title as a result of a failed test for cannabis after a race which he'd won (Sebastien Bourdais got the title as a result).

So yes, there is testing.

Malbec
17th October 2007, 21:52

Rubens Barrichello failed a drugs test a few years back because he took a flu remedy.

Had he been in any other sport he would have faced a ban, at least from that event. Sportsmen and their trainers are given a huge list of banned substances some of which offer a real performance boost and others which are pretty harmless. Most sports have a no tolerance policy so crack down hard on any offender regardless of what they've taken.

F1 is lucky in that the medical aspect is run on a much more flexible basis. In Rubens case Sid Watkins knew that it was a flu remedy and ignored the drugs test on the basis that it wouldn't have given him any advantage. I suspect his successors are also just as flexible.

Tazio
17th October 2007, 23:53
There is now a level of almost metronomic perfection in many top-line motorsport competitors when outside circumstances don't intervene. I think it is this high normal standard that makes many 'fans' so critical when someone makes even a minor mistake.
Very true! IMO good call!

wmcot
18th October 2007, 06:43
I wonder how many posters here would pass a substance test?? ;)

Tazio
18th October 2007, 06:54
I wonder how many pv$$!e$ here could handle any substance!

wmcot
18th October 2007, 07:00
I wonder how many pv$$!e$ here could handle any substance!

Quite a few based on the quality of some of the posts!!! :)

ioan
18th October 2007, 09:27

:rotflmao: :up:

MAX_THRUST
18th October 2007, 12:53
I have failed a drugs test, alledgedly for canabis. Turn out they said I had drunk a can of pi$$

Tazio
18th October 2007, 13:20
I have failed a drugs test, alledgedly for canabis. Turn out they said I had drunk a can of pi$$Party on

markabilly
18th October 2007, 13:24

I have never failed a drug test. I have always carried my half-used bottle of "flu remedy" with me at all times when I might be tested.... :s mokin:

Rubens Barrichello failed a drugs test a few years back because he took a flu remedy.

Had he been in any other sport he would have faced a ban, at least from that event. Sportsmen and their trainers are given a huge list of banned substances some of which offer a real performance boost and others which are pretty harmless. Most sports have a no tolerance policy so crack down hard on any offender regardless of what they've taken.

F1 is lucky in that the medical aspect is run on a much more flexible basis. In Rubens case Sid Watkins knew that it was a flu remedy and ignored the drugs test on the basis that it wouldn't have given him any advantage. I suspect his successors are also just as flexible.

greencroft
18th October 2007, 13:47
While they are on with testing the drivers, they should test some of the FIA officials as well, especially Max M. I can only imagine that he must be on something special of late ....

Tazio
18th October 2007, 21:58
Then your saying that drugies provide better post's?
Because if your comment was ment to imply that substance abuse is a factor in poorley posted Ideas.
I GUESS THEY AINT' EXACTLY HANDLING THEIR DOPE!

"they should test some of the FIA officials as well, especially Max M."

Greenie I have it on good athority that Max was geeked up on 'roids!
When he went on about JYS.

I believe it was "The Clear"

jso1985
19th October 2007, 00:13
I have never failed a drug test. I have always carried my half-used bottle of "flu remedy" with me at all times when I might be tested.... :s mokin:

so Kool Aid was a banned substance in your work?

I really don't think F1 drivers can get much advantage with competitive doping, they don't need the physical strenght the Tour de Farce riders need for example.
and as for drugs that help to concentrate, well they really don't work unless you're already tired

markabilly
19th October 2007, 00:44
so Kool Aid was a banned substance in your work?

I really don't think F1 drivers can get much advantage with competitive doping, they don't need the physical strenght the Tour de Farce riders need for example.
and as for drugs that help to concentrate, well they really don't work unless you're already tired

I never touch the stuff!!

kool aid is only for true believers of the maclaren and other members of the FIA faithful who will swallow anything that RD, benie or maxie(and the rest of them) laddle out to the masses.........so they can argue about it as though it means something....and generate more revenue for the good of the sport

lately i think a touch of wood alcohol has been added the kool aid to really blind people--that is the only explanation I can think for the screwtineer nonsense and brouha, regardless of legitimate or not legitimate concerns that one can abstractly argue about, it does not really matter as a practical matter because if they want to scew the car, the car will be screwed, and no one is likely to be able to know or have any clue (and certainly not this gentleman from Spain), except the one that did the screwing.... :rolleyes:

However, i still wonder why when janitors and front desk receptionists must be tesrted very regularly ....and all other sports do it pretty intensly, that auto racing seems so lax.....and certainly a little "amping up" would be a big temptation to keep the concentration focused ----and just what do you think is in those bottles that the drivers so frequently drink down before during and after a race?

maybe it is just kool aid... :beer:
Me I don't know.....

wmcot
19th October 2007, 06:47
Then your saying that drugies provide better post's?
Because if your comment was ment to imply that substance abuse is a factor in poorley posted Ideas.
I GUESS THEY AINT' EXACTLY HANDLING THEIR DOPE!

Let's just say it "expands their minds!" ;)

Tazio
19th October 2007, 06:53
Let's just say it "expands their minds!" ;)
Very diplomatic. I comend you.
Ever thought of getting into politics?

wmcot
19th October 2007, 07:00
Very diplomatic. I comend you.
Ever thought of getting into politics?

No, too many "skeletons" in the closet! ;)

Tazio
19th October 2007, 08:18
No, too many "skeletons" in the closet! ;)
When burdened with excessive body parts, completely dismember them,
and scatter the remains over about 3 counties