PDA

View Full Version : £20 for a pub lunch?!

Mark
17th October 2007, 10:51
Alright for some I suppose, this report says that pubs are relying more and more on food revenues and are pushing up the prices. I'm not surprised mind, when you pay on average £8 for a hot meal and not much less for a sandwich.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7046664.stm

Curryhead
17th October 2007, 11:14
we have enjoyed good cheap pub food for a while now, I suppose the bubble has to burst soon :(

Dave B
17th October 2007, 11:42
Can't beat a Wetherspoons for value. £20 would easily buy lunch and drinks for two or three people.

Iain
17th October 2007, 11:58
My only reservation with Wetherspoons is that they hardly ever have exactly what you want. Nearly every time I've been in one, they've had to say "oh sorry, we've no lasagne/burgers/pies/cheese left". :mark:

Donney
17th October 2007, 12:10
we have enjoyed good cheap pub food for a while now, I suppose the bubble has to burst soon :(

Which is a real pity cause without it my week in England last summer would not have been the same. :(

KILOHMUNNS
17th October 2007, 12:55
I have 2 local pubs (neither are Wetherspoons) that do 2 meals for £10 on the majority of their menu. The food is pretty good as well and it's rare when they run out of something.

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 13:00
Again, this is market forces for you, combined with the fact that we traditionally seem to pay well over the odds for food at pubs, restaurants and outdoor events compared to much of the rest of Europe.

GridGirl
17th October 2007, 13:20
I had a Wetherspoons meal last Friday lunchtime. It was an entirely beige meal and didn't include half of the ingredients stated on the menu. It tasted of pretty much nothing, I'm sure I could have got a better meal from the McDonalds next door. :s I'd rather pay more money and get a decent meal any day of the week. :)

Drew
17th October 2007, 13:38
Can't beat a Wetherspoons for value. £20 would easily buy lunch and drinks for two or three people.

£5 for a beer and burger, brilliant!

J4MIE
17th October 2007, 14:07
Weatherspoons is brilliant, never been disappointed there :up:

GridGirl
17th October 2007, 14:12
Don't try the one in Birmigham City centre between Broad Street and Victoria Square. :p

LotusElise
17th October 2007, 14:52
Both the places we used to go for Friday lunch at work had meal deals on - £10 for two people at the Wetherspoon-ish pub, £8 each at the nicer pub with better food. The portions were decent in both cases.
Some pubs can have really good chefs working for them and then I don't mind paying extra. Not sure I'd pay much more for Wetherspoon stuff than I do now, and that's only if I'm really hungry.

SOD
17th October 2007, 16:09
for £20 or £40 you could buy the finest fillet steak, a bottle of chateau latour and cook it yourself ;)

jim mcglinchey
17th October 2007, 21:06
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=476612&in_page_id=1770

steak, no thanks!