PDA

View Full Version : WRC calendar 2008

AlfaWRC
16th October 2007, 07:39
When will the final WRC calendar be published? Anyone knows?

Are there some changes expected / possible especially in the second half of the season to the actual draft?

Thanks for the info!

hari
16th October 2007, 08:06
The World Council will have a meeting in October (next week i think). After there will be a final calendar for 2008.

I'm also already waiting for the confirmed dates to check flights etc. for 2008.

AndyRAC
16th October 2007, 09:26
The F1A decide the F1 dates, then everything else is arranged to fit in around them. So I would assume the dates will be confirmed soon.

jonkka
16th October 2007, 13:11
The F1A decide the F1 dates, then everything else is arranged to fit in around them. So I would assume the dates will be confirmed soon.

2007 WRC calendar was decided upon before the 2007 F1 calendar but that is unlikely to happen again.

J4MIE
16th October 2007, 14:04
I am also waiting for it so I can book flights for next year :up:

Pretty sure of the dates anyway, but you never know..... :)

N
16th October 2007, 19:29
They will decide if Rally Cyprus or Poland get the last slot in 2008, this should be decided on 24th October, so in a weeks time we should get the final calendar.

J4MIE
17th October 2007, 00:22
They will decide if Rally Cyprus or Poland get the last slot in 2008, this should be decided on 24th October, so in a weeks time we should get the final calendar.

What do you think Rally Cyprus' chance of coming back to the WRC is?

N
17th October 2007, 06:30
well, not good, but there is still a chance. Apart from the incidents on SS1 and SS2, the rest of the event went well, so I don't know what FIA thinks about the whole thing. I would say that Poland has more of chance entering the WRC than Cyprus at the moment.

pino
17th October 2007, 07:54
If I were in charge, I would replace boring Spain with Sanremo and put another snow event insted of Sardinia :D

grugsticles
17th October 2007, 09:30
If I were in charge, I would replace boring Spain with Sanremo and put another snow event insted of Sardinia :D

Agreed on Sardinia! Someone tell my why this event was allowed to be included in the first place? Its... well... boring.

From what Ive heard of Ireland, its something a bit different (narrow mainly wet tarmac roads) which is the main reason why a rally should be included.
I also like the classic events (Monte, Sweden, Finland, NZ, Wales) and the idea of split surface events (like the Portugal of old).
Other than that, I think Norway should get a second running. Its just too bad that weathern doesnt allow it to be moved later in the calendar so as to break up the 3 'snow' events.
I think Rally Australia 2008 will be guite a decent event in terms of the roads.
From my limited knowledge of the area where the stages are held, they could certianly make for some interesting battles/results/tyre selections (hot one minute, pissing with rain 2 mins later, then hot and humid 10 mins after that).

I feel that the seemingly whole tarmac focus of the last half of the season is not a good thing. They need to be broken up a bit.

AndyRAC
17th October 2007, 09:55
Agreed on Sardinia! Someone tell my why this event was allowed to be included in the first place? Its... well... boring.

From what Ive heard of Ireland, its something a bit different (narrow mainly wet tarmac roads) which is the main reason why a rally should be included.
I also like the classic events (Monte, Sweden, Finland, NZ, Wales) and the idea of split surface events (like the Portugal of old).
Other than that, I think Norway should get a second running. Its just too bad that weathern doesnt allow it to be moved later in the calendar so as to break up the 3 'snow' events.
I think Rally Australia 2008 will be guite a decent event in terms of the roads.
From my limited knowledge of the area where the stages are held, they could certianly make for some interesting battles/results/tyre selections (hot one minute, pissing with rain 2 mins later, then hot and humid 10 mins after that).

I feel that the seemingly whole tarmac focus of the last half of the season is not a good thing. They need to be broken up a bit.

I've wondered why the Tarmac events are all grouped in one block. Why aren't any of them held in the summer? What about Germany in winter/autumn? In fact why don't Germany move the Rally to the mountains?

jonkka
17th October 2007, 17:27
In fact why don't Germany move the Rally to the mountains?

Do you know history of the Rally Deutschland? If you would, then you'd know why it's there where it currently is.

COD
17th October 2007, 17:51

Some rumours suggest that neither will be selected, and there will only be 15 events in 2008.

MJW
17th October 2007, 17:54
Some rumours suggest that neither will be selected, and there will only be 15 events in 2008.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 15 events next year,

AndyRAC
18th October 2007, 11:21
Do you know history of the Rally Deutschland? If you would, then you'd know why it's there where it currently is.

Can't say I do, though I'm sure it's 2 Rallies joined together, though maybe I'm confusing it with another Rally. Sorry, I don't know.

Camelopard
18th October 2007, 12:11

Please tell us why you think Sardinia is boring.
As for Australia 2008, how can that be included in the WRC calendar without having been run as event at all, including as a state or an Australian round before?
It doesn't matter how good the credentials of the organisers are, an event in my opinion still needs to be run and judged on it's sucess or otherwise before it can considered for the WRC or any other championship.
The recent Rally of the Great Lakes at Forster, NSW, Australia, is probably a good example of this.

Livewireshock
18th October 2007, 15:32
Please tell us why you think Sardinia is boring.
As for Australia 2008, how can that be included in the WRC calendar without having been run as event at all, including as a state or an Australian round before?
It doesn't matter how good the credentials of the organisers are, an event in my opinion still needs to be run and judged on it's sucess or otherwise before it can considered for the WRC or any other championship.
The recent Rally of the Great Lakes at Forster, NSW, Australia, is probably a good example of this.

That is a pretty long bow being drawn there. Great Lakes Rally failed as an ARC event for a number of reasons but none of that organising staff are involved in the planning or running of Rally Australia, who are made up largely of original Perth based organisers.

As an insider, I know there has been consultation on alot of levels about the running of Rally Australia with all tiers of governments. They are not leaving much to chance. Where as GLR was run in a vacuum, left hand not knowing what the right was doing & many basic organising principles ignored.

Plus there has been club rallying for the past two years, with many Queensland State level guys sampling one area that will be used by Rally Australia. It is not a complete unknown. We know what abuse the roads can handle (which is alot) & that it will be a fast & exciting event come next September.

Corny
18th October 2007, 17:52

What's so special about that history?

grugsticles
18th October 2007, 22:07
Cossie:
Well, maybe its just me but from what ive seen on TV the stages just seem to be reasonably flat and smooth for a rally that is supposed to be a hot/dusty/rough rally.
Maybe its becasue the rougher sections arnt shown on camera, maybe my definition of a harsh rally is more like the safari of old, and maybe im wrong completly, but, you gotta admit that the rally itself has NO descerning feature at all where as a spectator can watch a bit of footage/look a a pic and say that that is definatly Rally Sardinia.

Livewireshock
19th October 2007, 02:02
It will be interesting to see what insight is given for the 2009 'rotation' for the WRC calendar.

Personally, I hope to see that concept dropped to ensure greater stability. Just as long as there is a round on every possible continent.

Camelopard
19th October 2007, 08:08
That is a pretty long bow being drawn there. Great Lakes Rally failed as an ARC event for a number of reasons but none of that organising staff are involved in the planning or running of Rally Australia, who are made up largely of original Perth based organisers.

You seem to have misunderstood my comment, that is, that it does matter who the organising commitee is or their connections to past events, it will still be a brand new rally with all the possible pitfalls of running a brand new event.

I made no connection between the organisers of the GLR and next years oz rally, I was merely using it as an example of how things can go wrong.

Mike Bell (GLR) is a very good organiser with lot's of experience over the years running very good events and I'm certainly not having a go at him for the problems the GLR had. I'm just trying to show that problems can occur anywhere anytime for any reason.

Has there ever been a brand new event added to the WRC calendar without having been run before in any shape or form?

Josti
19th October 2007, 08:13
Can't say I do, though I'm sure it's 2 Rallies joined together, though maybe I'm confusing it with another Rally. Sorry, I don't know.

The WRC Deutschland Rally is a combination of the former Deutschland Rally (vineyard etc.) and the old Hunsruck Rally (Baumholder, Panzerplatte etc.).

Deutschland Rally began in 1982, Hunsruck brings us back to the 1950's (I think). Both where great events when they were separated I remember, as there where a lot of Dutch entries in the 90's.

grugsticles
19th October 2007, 08:42
Has there ever been a brand new event added to the WRC calendar without having been run before in any shape or form?

I dont know if this may be true or not, but I suspect that the old Rally Aus may have been?
I mean, there is the Rally of WA for the ARC which is held in a different area than the old Rally Aus. Were the roads used sometime before for rallying?

AndyRAC
19th October 2007, 09:21
The WRC Deutschland Rally is a combination of the former Deutschland Rally (vineyard etc.) and the old Hunsruck Rally (Baumholder, Panzerplatte etc.).

Deutschland Rally began in 1982, Hunsruck brings us back to the 1950's (I think). Both where great events when they were separated I remember, as there where a lot of Dutch entries in the 90's.

Cheers, thanks, thought the Hunsruck was one of them. I know Deutschland is an important market, but aren't there better roads to use than the ones currently used? Would've though stages up in the German mountains would look good...

Josti
19th October 2007, 09:59
I know Deutschland is an important market, but aren't there better roads to use than the ones currently used? Would've though stages up in the German mountains would look good...

Don't know if I'm enough aware of it, but none of the rally's in the German championship take place in such surroundings. Don't think they really have those either.

I personally like the rally. Ok, spectatorwise it's not good, but the roads are quite unique and characteristic (like the vineyards and Panzerplatte). And yes, locationwise it's probably the best spot too.

Roy
19th October 2007, 11:15
...Ok, spectatorwise it's not good, but the roads are quite unique and characteristic (like the vineyards and Panzerplatte). And yes, locationwise it's probably the best spot too.

:confused: not good spectatorwise? Good view at vineyard hills and close by the action on vineyard walls. Good organisation, arrows for spectators etc.
I like this rally because it is nearby, the nice spectatorspots and location. A rally with character.

Livewireshock
19th October 2007, 11:31
Rally Australia was largely a brand new event when it debuted in 1988. It was held up as an instant success in many regards.

2008 on the Gold Coast will not be without it's share of problems but they will be trivial & minor. Nothing on the scale or fiasco as the GLR. Trust me that alot of effort is being made to cross all the T's & dotting all the I's.

Kyogle Shire Council has been in touch with every council that they can that have a relationship with rallying. They want to ensure the very best success. They understand the steep learning curve ahead of them & they are not afraid of asking for & receiving advice.

Personally, I went to Rally NZ on their behalf to quiz the rally organisers there & get the view & opinions of councils, teams, spectators & the public alike. Took over 1,600 photographs of the mundane & boring eg:- portaloos, signage, fencing, catering etc.. Essentially, Kyogle SC now has a huge checklist of items to do, to improve on & what to ensure that Gary Connelly & co do right too.

Community drive is highly behind this event. So I can say that nothing will be left lacking if it can be helped.

JAM
19th October 2007, 12:37
Acording to Autosport magazine, Corsica organizers will prefer to be on IRC than on WRC if they have to be pulled out every year by the rotation system.

Josti
19th October 2007, 13:25
:confused: not good spectatorwise? Good view at vineyard hills and close by the action on vineyard walls. Good organisation, arrows for spectators etc.

Well, let's just say from own experiences, but I think more people can agree with me that Deutschland has sometimes been ridicilous with spectator points (I mean standing 50 meters or more from the road on spots where it's not needed). Of course, the organisation was somehow destined to do this after the 2002 edition.

I see the vineyards as an exception. For sure, mainly cause of the walls. But don't get me wrong, I have great experiences of this rally too and it's one of my favorite events.

Corny
19th October 2007, 16:04
Well, let's just say from own experiences, but I think more people can agree with me that Deutschland has sometimes been ridicilous with spectator points (I mean standing 50 meters or more from the road on spots where it's not needed). Of course, the organisation was somehow destined to do this after the 2002 edition.

I see the vineyards as an exception. For sure, mainly cause of the walls. But don't get me wrong, I have great experiences of this rally too and it's one of my favorite events.

Germany is superb at spectator point, you just have to make that you don't come to the Panzerplatte and Erzweiler stage, and of course to no spectator points..

But I think it's not worthy for these top drivers in the world to drive here.. Marketing says it all ;)

jonkka
20th October 2007, 15:23
What's so special about that history?

Rally Deutschland, like Rally Catalunya, was formed when multiple small events were combined. Hence, it's not a "product" than can be moved around at whim (like the gypsy that is Rally GB which has had more host town than most rallies have years).

This in response to proposals to move it into mountains (which I read to mean distant Bavaria).

jonkka
20th October 2007, 15:31

Ummm, no. At minimum there has been some form of a candidate event observed by FIA in previous year, usually more.

ProRally
20th October 2007, 16:56
We will know in 4 days as the World Council will meet on the 24 October, maybe only 15 WRC events...

Brother John
24th October 2007, 14:45
Source:
http://www.rallye-magazin.de/r/wm/d/n/d/2007/10/24/neuer-wm-kalender-fuer-2008/index.html

WRC 2008
24.01. - 27.01. Monte Carlo
08.02. - 12.02. Sweden
28.02. - 02.03. Mexico
27.03. - 30.03. Argentina
24.04. - 27.04. Jordanien
16.05. - 18.05. Sardinien/Itali
29.05. - 01.06. Greece
13.06. - 15.06. Türkei
31.07. - 03.08. Finnland
15.08. - 17.08. Germany
28.08. - 31.08. New Sealand
02.10. - 05.10. Spain
10.10. - 12.10. Korsika/France
24.10. - 26.10. Japan
28.11. - 30.11. Wales/GB

Josti
24th October 2007, 14:49
15 rounds? So no Australia...

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 15:17
No Cyprus, no Poland, no Ireland, no Norway

Roy
24th October 2007, 15:22

No Ireland and Norway was allready known. Mexico is in for Poland/Cyprus.

2008 FIA World Rally Championship
24 - 27/1 MC 76e Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo
8 - 1/2 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
28/2 - 2/3 MEX Rally Mexico
27 - 3/3 RA Rally Argentina
24 - 27/4 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/5 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
29/5 - 1/6 GR BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally
13 - 15/6 TR Rally of Turkey
31/7 - 3/8 FIN Neste Oil Rally Finland
15 - 17/8 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
28 - 31/8 NZ Rally of New Zealand
2 - 5/10 E Rallye de Espaņa
10 - 12/10 F Rallye de France Tour de Corse
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan
28 - 30/11 GB Wales Rally GB

2008 FIA Production Car World Rally Championship
8 - 10/2 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
27 - 30/3 RA Rally Argentina
19 - 21/9 AUS Rally Australia
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan

2008 FIA Junior Rally Championship
24 - 27/4 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/5 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
13 - 15/6 TR Rally of Turkey
31/7 - 3/8 FIN Neste Oil Rally Finland
15 - 17/8 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
2 - 5/10 E Rally de Espaņa
http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/October/241007-01.html

The 'option calaendar 2008' of october 2006:
2008 FIA World Rally Championship

25-27 January MC Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo
08-10 February S Swedish Rally
07-09 March SA (Rally South Africa)*
28-30 March JOR Jordan Rally
11-13 April C (Cyprus Rally)*
25-27 April RA Rally Argentina
16-18 May I Rally Italia-Sardinia
30 May-01 June GR Acropolis Rally of Greece
13-15 June TR Rally of Turkey
27-29 June PL (Rally Poland)*
01-03 August FIN Rally Finland
15-17 August D Rallye Deutschland
29-31 August NZ Rally New Zealand
12-14 September AUS Rally Australia
03-05 October E Rallye de Espaņa
10-12 October F Rallye de France - Tour de Corse
24-26 October J Rally Japan
28-30 November GB Rally GB

N
24th October 2007, 15:41
well, that's interesting, neither Cyprus nor Poland got the WRC.

Sardalense
24th October 2007, 15:42

... and no Portugal.

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 15:49
Rally Australia is on the PWRC calendar but not the WRC calendar???

Livewireshock
24th October 2007, 15:50
well, that's interesting, neither Cyprus nor Poland got the WRC.

The recent incident did not help Cyprus & Poland was considered too remote.

jonkka
24th October 2007, 16:15
It seems that there are some typos in FIA text or how do you read these?

8 - 1/2 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
27 - 3/3 RA Rally Argentina

I think it's meant to be 8-10th of Feb for Swedish and 27th-30th of Mar for Argentina.

Roy
24th October 2007, 16:53
Rally Australia is on the PWRC calendar but not the WRC calendar???

24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan

!!!!New calander on FIA website!!!!

jonas_mcrae
24th October 2007, 17:43
NO WAY!
I though the decision about Mexico being out of the calendar until 2009 was definite and that it would be in IRC instead!

what happened to norway? and wansn't poland, portugal or cyprus gonna be there?

SubaruNorway
24th October 2007, 17:57
Norway was never supposed to be in for 2008, 2007 and 2008 are candidate event try out seasons remember.

jonas_mcrae
24th October 2007, 18:03
Norway was never supposed to be in for 2008, 2007 and 2008 are candidate event try out seasons remember.

oh yeah....
sorry

COD
24th October 2007, 18:52
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan

!!!!New calander on FIA website!!!!

All snow and gravel. Good!

Xeroid
25th October 2007, 01:58
Looks like Aust could be out for a while according to this thread
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120367&page=4

08 nogo, 09 probably not, 10...?? if ever.

tribefiend
26th October 2007, 03:10
Why is Mexico on this list? The last I heard that it won't be included in 2008. Has something changed. I hope so. It's my local world rally event and would otherwise miss going to it next year.

J4MIE
26th October 2007, 03:18
Why is Mexico on this list? The last I heard that it won't be included in 2008. Has something changed. I hope so. It's my local world rally event and would otherwise miss going to it next year.

Either Poland or Cyprus was meant to replace it, but neither candidate event was good enough so Mexico is in once again.

tribefiend
26th October 2007, 03:20
Awesome. I only hope it will be ok this time. Alot of problems in this years event.

jso1985
26th October 2007, 04:27
not bad IMO, shame Ireland can't stay, we knew ther weren't to but if Cyprus and Poland weren't good enough, they should have kept one of the 3 new events from this year(and I choose Ireland)

cosmicpanda
27th October 2007, 20:36
Cossie:
Well, maybe its just me but from what ive seen on TV the stages just seem to be reasonably flat and smooth for a rally that is supposed to be a hot/dusty/rough rally.
Maybe its becasue the rougher sections arnt shown on camera, maybe my definition of a harsh rally is more like the safari of old, and maybe im wrong completly, but, you gotta admit that the rally itself has NO descerning feature at all where as a spectator can watch a bit of footage/look a a pic and say that that is definatly Rally Sardinia.

I don't know about that. Sardinia has those distinctive rock formations, the road is generally yellower in colour (sandier?) than, say, NZ, and the roads are often narrow and rough looking. Well, at least they look rough to me, as an NZ resident :D

I wouldn't call the rally flat, either, I remember some spectacular onboard footage from Hirvonen last year that was very up-and-down in just the space of a few corners.

Talking of a lack of distinction, if you compared Corsica, Monte Carlo and San Remo, could you tell the difference every time?

General Prim
1st November 2007, 06:59
It seems that Rally Argentina will be held one week after because of the problem to carry all the equipment from Mexico to Chile through Panama...

GigiGalliNo1
1st November 2007, 11:14
:( No Poland sucks..... ahh well, no Aus either blahhh

I was planning on doing Jordan as a WRC round but friend in SRTPoland said that he went to Jordan, the manager not Kuzaj, said that Jordan is expensive! Even for British people its expensive. If anything is for them, believe me its for everyone else! So they'll fly me out to NZ next yr :D

So 100% NZ either way next year, gigi wants me in Monte :( I'll try, where else is recogmended? I wanted to do Poland/DEU close locations and more or less same weekend/frame but never mind....

SubaruNorway
3rd November 2007, 20:27
Looks like the teams are not very happy about mexico being in next year
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63726

Roy
3rd December 2007, 15:22
The new (final?) version of calendar 2008.
http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/November/301107-01.html

Following a fax vote of the World Motor Sport Council, the 2008 FIA World Rally Championship calendar is as follows.

Championnat du Monde des Rallyes de la FIA
FIA World Rally Championship

24 - 27/01 MC 76e Rallye Automobile Monte-Carlo
08 - 10/02 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
29/02 - 02/03 MEX Rally Mexico
28 - 30/03 RA Rally Argentina
24 - 27/04 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/05 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
29/05 - 01/06 GR BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally
13 - 15/06 TR Rally of Turkey
31/07 - 03/08 FIN Neste Oil Rally Finland
15 - 17/08 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
28 - 31/08 NZ Rally of New Zealand
02 - 05/10 E Rallye de Espaņa
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan

Championnat du Monde des Rallyes des Voitures de Production de la FIA
(pour pilotes)
FIA Production Car World Rally Championship (for drivers)

08 - 10/02 S Uddeholm Swedish Rally
28 - 30/03 RA Rally Argentina
29/05 - 01/06 GR BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally
13 - 15/06 TR Rally of Turkey
28 - 31/08 NZ Rally of New Zealand
24 - 26/10 J Rally Japan

Championnat des Rallyes Junior de la FIA (pour pilotes)
FIA Junior Rally Championship (for drivers)

29/02 - 02/03 MEX Rally Mexico
24 - 27/04 HKJ Jordan Rally WRC
16 - 18/05 I Rallye d'Italia-Sardegna
15 - 17/08 D ADAC Rallye Deutschland
02 - 05/10 E Rally de Espaņa