PDA

View Full Version : Rugby versus F1

Brown, Jon Brow
14th October 2007, 22:03
Which will get the higher TV ratings next weekend (in the UK)

Rugby World Cup final or the Formula 1 final?

Speedworx
14th October 2007, 22:15
Rugby

Malbec
14th October 2007, 22:20
Easily the rugby.

Rollo
15th October 2007, 00:03
Due to the timeslots, the Rugby. However...

What would have happened if the final round of the F1 World Championship had been in Europe, the UK or somewhere like South Africa? Potentially there could be two English World Champions (sic) in a weekend.

I've already ordered an entire case of London Pride in preparation :D

Daniel
15th October 2007, 00:44
Rugby for sure. Rugby is a sport. Formula 1 is just a farce :) People will always watch F1 but a lot are disillusioned. Rugby is still Rugby.

SOD
15th October 2007, 01:06
ratings are irrelevant, they only make sense when the program substance is worse than sawdust.

I'd say that rugby will get a bigger rating though. Difficult to gauge the true number of spectators becuse most will be at the pub.

GridGirl
15th October 2007, 07:38
The only Rugby final I will watch was last weekend. Leeds Rhino's won. Wahooo! The Rugby World Cup as far as I'm concerned takes place next year so it will only be the F1 that gets watched in my house. :)

Mark
15th October 2007, 07:42
Due to the timeslots, the Rugby. However...

What would have happened if the final round of the F1 World Championship had been in Europe, the UK or somewhere like South Africa? Potentially there could be two English World Champions (sic) in a weekend.

I've already ordered an entire case of London Pride in preparation :D

He did say in the UK remember, and the race in Brazil is on prime time TV, the perfect slot for maximum TV ratings.

If England do win the world cup, and Hamilton the F1, I fear not much mention will be made of Hamiltons victory, apart from 15 seconds on the news because they have to.

CarlMetro
15th October 2007, 08:43
If England do win the world cup, and Hamilton the F1, I fear not much mention will be made of Hamiltons victory, apart from 15 seconds on the news because they have to.

Personally I think that if that does happen then they will both be given far more coverage than is necessary.

Without a doubt the rugby will get more live viewers but there'll still be plenty of people watching the F1, whether it be the live race or the re-run.

Dave B
15th October 2007, 09:22
The rugby will get far more viewers. F1 will get a massive audience share for the last few laps though, as all the old dears turn over ready for Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Let's hope there are no safety car laps or any delays :s

AndyRAC
15th October 2007, 09:45
The rugby will get far more viewers. F1 will get a massive audience share for the last few laps though, as all the old dears turn over ready for Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Let's hope there are no safety car laps or any delays :s

'Coronation Street will follow the Grand Prix'

Yeah, you know what's going to happen, there will be a SC, and the race will run late.....

.....is the new World Champion, but we've run out of time, the highlights are on ITV4,....

Daniel
15th October 2007, 10:15
Lets hope it overruns for a while :p

millencolin
15th October 2007, 11:23
The only Rugby final I will watch was last weekend. Leeds Rhino's won. Wahooo! The Rugby World Cup as far as I'm concerned takes place next year so it will only be the F1 that gets watched in my house. :)

ha!ha!ha! DAMN RIGHT!!! World Cup final will be at my home stadium next year! Go the Kangaroos

Daniel
15th October 2007, 11:28
Yes but that's just poor man's rugby :p

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 11:42
Personally I think that if that does happen then they will both be given far more coverage than is necessary.

I agree. The coverage of the semi-final win was just ridiculous. I had to turn Radio 5 Live's breakfast show yesterday morning off, so utterly excessive was the treatment of the England victory.

GridGirl
15th October 2007, 11:56
Don't turn this into a thread about which form of Rugby is better. I think theres another thread devoted to that somewhere. :p

It' swings and round abouts as far as the press is concerned. If Hamilton win's the World Championship and England don't retain the Rugby the press will be all over Hamilton like a bad suit. The press assasination of the Rugby team will be somewhere subdued as no one expected them to be any good anyway. If England win and Hamilton doesn't is will be a remarkable come back for England and Hamilton will get good press anyway as he's the rookie that almost made it.

The only real problem arises if they both win. We'll have have break into renditions of Swing Low, Sweet Hamilton or someting. :s

Daniel
15th October 2007, 12:06
Don't turn this into a thread about which form of Rugby is better. I think theres another thread devoted to that somewhere. :p

It' swings and round abouts as far as the press is concerned. If Hamilton win's the World Championship and England don't retain the Rugby the press will be all over Hamilton like a bad suit. The press assasination of the Rugby team will be somewhere subdued as no one expected them to be any good anyway. If England win and Hamilton doesn't is will be a remarkable come back for England and Hamilton will get good press anyway as he's the rookie that almost made it.

The only real problem arises if they both win. We'll have have break into renditions of Swing Low, Sweet Hamilton or someting. :s
I wouldn't make it a thread about that if not for the fact that Union is clearly the better code.

Just saying is all :p

Daniel
15th October 2007, 12:15
I agree. The coverage of the semi-final win was just ridiculous. I had to turn Radio 5 Live's breakfast show yesterday morning off, so utterly excessive was the treatment of the England victory.
What irritated me even more was the Chris White's comment of how Bryan Habana's dad was imprisoned or banned or something because he dared defy the apartheid authorities and go to a rugby match :dozey: I mean for gods sake Apartheid ended in SA in '94. He's a rugby player (a fine one at that) and not a political activist or anything else. Who cares if his screen is green or puple with pink polka dots! If he can run like he can that's all that matters. Apartheid is a horrible and shameful thing and no one can deny that (unless your name is Eugene Terblanche of course) but why bring up the horrible past for no real reason? :mark:

I forgot. I was watching ITV! :D

Dave B
15th October 2007, 13:22
Al Jazeera, that's what you need in the mornings. No fannying about with lifestyle segments, showbiz, Diana, the McCanns, pointless local reports which have already been covered in the main bulletin, horoscopes, music news; and sensible rations of sport.

Oh, and no risk of seeing Eamonn Holmes or Fiona Phillips.

Daniel
15th October 2007, 13:50
Al Jazeera, that's what you need in the mornings. No fannying about with lifestyle segments, showbiz, Diana, the McCanns, pointless local reports which have already been covered in the main bulletin, horoscopes, music news; and sensible rations of sport.

You obviously missed the lifestyle bit "How clean is your Cave?" on Al Jazeera. :p

I've already got my coat on :uhoh:

SOD
15th October 2007, 15:29
You obviously missed the lifestyle bit "How clean is your Cave?" on Al Jazeera. :p

I've already got my coat on :uhoh:

actually I like Al Jazeera ENglish, they're less biased than the othenews stations

Daniel
15th October 2007, 15:32
actually I like Al Jazeera ENglish, they're less biased than the othenews stations
Definitely :) I only watch the news to see the weather or breaking news and usually BBC news 24 is fastest and less biased than a Murdoch news channel. From what I've seen of Al Jazeera it does seem very good :up:

SOD
15th October 2007, 15:47
Definitely :) I only watch the news to see the weather or breaking news and usually BBC news 24 is fastest and less biased than a Murdoch news channel. From what I've seen of Al Jazeera it does seem very good :up:

Murdoch employs kelvin mckenzie, thatsays enough about Murdoch.

oily oaf
15th October 2007, 15:56
Murdoch employs kelvin mckenzie, thatsays enough about Murdoch.

Kelvin McKenzie = The mentally sub-normal man's John Pilger. FACTALEROOOZALA!

schmenke
15th October 2007, 16:28
Rugby finals on Saturday.
F1 race on Sunday.

I have my weekend planned :s mokin: :D

Brown, Jon Brow
15th October 2007, 16:33
F1 in Brazil is on at a good time for TV in the UK. The Rugby success hasn't completely outshone the F1, this morning on BBC Breakfast they had a nice interview with Jakie Stewart about Hamiltons chances this weekend.

The Football seems to have been outshone though, I still haven't seen goals from the weekend internationals :(

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 23:35

But don't you get David 'Looks like he could die at any moment' Frost?

I listen to the World Service of a morning now.

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 23:36
Kelvin McKenzie = The mentally sub-normal man's John Pilger. FACTALEROOOZALA!

My sister recently described McKenzie as a ****, and that's not a word she uses on just anyone.

millencolin
16th October 2007, 03:14
The Football seems to have been outshone though, I still haven't seen goals from the weekend internationals :(

ha, whats funny is that i was watching that game here in Oz. I saw england score a goal, but i was too busy drinking up a storm and chattin up the ladies :p :

555-04Q2
16th October 2007, 11:20
Rugby. The RWC is the third largest sporting event (for viewers) in the world.

stevie_gerrard
18th October 2007, 18:20
Rugby without a doubt, maybe both union and league, there is a game to celebrate Rugby Leagues existence, 100th Anniversary, between the Northern Union and All Golds. Sky Sports 2 6pm. Could be quite a good exhibition, so im preparing myself for a weekend of super sport :D

Mark
21st October 2007, 18:49
Horrible sporting weekend for England :(

Daniel
21st October 2007, 18:57
I think they should feel happy they were up there for two championships. Poor Ron Dennis. He's been crying :(

Dave B
22nd October 2007, 13:55
Rugby averaged 15.1 million viewers (58% share of the available audience), peaked at 15.8 million (60% share)

F1 attracted 9 million (46%) average, peaking at 10.4 million (50%)

555-04Q2
22nd October 2007, 14:34
Horrible sporting weekend for England :(

I think the word DEVASTATING is more accurate :(

SEATFreak
22nd October 2007, 15:28
More for Johnny Wilkinson and co. than Lewis.

Admitedly a Ferrari fan, the guy has a whole careers worth of trying to get the F1 World Championship. It would have been simply fantastic for me as a Brit to be able to brag that, as a Brit, we have a driver who is the first ever debutant to win the F1 title. But in the meantime I think it isn't a completely nonsensical idea to use the time wisely to learn F1 even more, hone his skills and experience to an even finer degree and give McLaren even more valuable data about how how not only how Lewis Hamilton likes to drive but how I think the 21st Century F1 driver likes to drive.

Now I tried to research so as not to open myself to ridicule as people want me to do but couldn't find anywhere on Google info on the career span of a Rugby player so I cannot say how much longer or shorter it is to a F1 driver but things like the IRB World Cup come ever 4 years and I think therefore guys like Johnny Wilkinson and Josh Lewcy don't have many chances to win it. They may only get say 3 at the most if that.

But whether we win or not let us not get downhearted and just focus on seeing our teams get even stronger.