PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to suffer with no TC?

ShiftingGears
11th October 2007, 13:07
I'm not sure about the top 4 drivers in the championship - as the top drivers I get the impression that they can drive anything as fast as possible.

However I'm not so sure about drivers like Barrichello - he was known to struggle with Honda's lesser traction control system. Obviously they're all good but some drivers will lose out more than others. Thoughts?

V12
11th October 2007, 13:13
I would assume that with one or two exceptions - it may benefit the experienced drivers who were around before 2001 - Fisi, DC and the like, but that could turn out to be completely wrong. If I had to put money on it I would go on the status quo staying pretty much unchanged to be honest...

Tazio
11th October 2007, 13:25
I think all drivers are going to have to make adjustments. There is going to have to be more feathering of the clutch. Which makes me wonder if several controls will need to be relocated. Adjusting brake bias on the fly may be less practical and possibly the position of some teams gear shift paddles moved.

wedge
11th October 2007, 14:44
I think all drivers are going to have to make adjustments. There is going to have to be more feathering of the clutch. Which makes me wonder if several controls will need to be relocated. Adjusting brake bias on the fly may be less practical and possibly the position of some teams gear shift paddles moved.

No idea what you on about but Launch Control was banned sinced 2003 and everybody have been making manual starts since. The biting point is also ridiculously small.

Brake bias won't make much difference, I'd say the E-diff will have more effect.

I can see Kubica struggling. Not that I'm saying he's a bad driver or anything, far from it, I really rate him but he struggled quite a bit this year which made me wonder whether he has a good understanding of setting up an F1 car.

Mark
11th October 2007, 14:47
A common misconception. Closed feedback launch control was banned. But the cars still have predictive launch control.

Donney
11th October 2007, 15:21
I think all of them have driven enough cars without TC to be able to adapt. I may be wrong though, but since they'll test it comprehensively, I reckon they'll be fine.

jens
11th October 2007, 15:25
I doubt that experienced drivers have some kind of an advantage, because they drove without TC quite a while - 7 years - ago. On the contrary in F1 feeder series there is no TC and young drivers, who have just graduated into F1, may feel more accustomized to a non-TC car as they weren't driving a TC-car before.

I think such professionals as F1 drivers are, will have less trouble in adjusting to a non-TC car than expected and most of them will be as competitive as they have been. So I don't agree with that part, a'la "without TC driver counts a lot more and separates mens from the boys etc". Well, of course, a couple of drivers might find adjusting harder than others, but they are a clear minority. For example there have been assumptions that Massa and Kubica are going to suffer a bit more than others, which is at the moment only a guess, but I don't think anyone will become totally uncompetitive. It's just a matter of a couple of tenths at best.

paulcrazy
11th October 2007, 16:26
May be a bit off topic but I would like to recall one thing about traction control in Champ Car back in late 1990s.
We all know that Champ Car traditionly banned traction control as they do right now but I remember when the year Honda quited Champ Car as engine supplier ,Paul Tracy admited that his Team Kool Green Honda Reynard did actually has traction control from Honda and in fact the traction control was just something like a software in the engine electronic device which except the driver, who can feel it, there is not really a method to test it and discover it. And I think PT said he believed Toyota and Ford might have TC in their cars too.
So, if TC is banned next year, is FIA able to find out who may be cheating?

trumperZ06
11th October 2007, 16:31
;) The difference in driving styles without traction control will show up in the corners. The drivers with the best "car control" will now have the advantage.

Setting the car up to overcome the removal of TC will enable one or two drivers to move up. At the F-1 level... they all are able to use "power-on oversteer"... but the drivers that are able to use "lift-throttle oversteer" should have an advantage.

Trail braking isn't used as much in Europe as here in the States... but we now may see it being used more often... maximizing the tires "friction circle" !!!

:s mokin:

Lalo
11th October 2007, 17:26
Fisico would definitly be afected. Not sure about the rest

markabilly
11th October 2007, 18:10
May be a bit off topic but I would like to recall one thing about traction control in Champ Car back in late 1990s.
We all know that Champ Car traditionly banned traction control as they do right now but I remember when the year Honda quited Champ Car as engine supplier ,Paul Tracy admited that his Team Kool Green Honda Reynard did actually has traction control from Honda and in fact the traction control was just something like a software in the engine electronic device which except the driver, who can feel it, there is not really a method to test it and discover it. And I think PT said he believed Toyota and Ford might have TC in their cars too.

Good point, but that is the reason behind the standard ECU for all teams--

no ability to place TC within engine mapping---that would mean that the ecu would be programmed to provide max power depending on the throtte to avoid engine rev control...

Because an ecu can be programmed to provide a gradual increase in revs,and limit the increase in revs per amount of time, no matter how hard the throttle is pressed, and that would be a form of traction control......

Crypt
11th October 2007, 21:05
Meh, I don't think it will be that big of an issue. These guys will all get plenty of seat time in the off season to adjust.

truefan72
11th October 2007, 22:47
they will have all winter to run hundreds of laps in order to get accustomed to it and specifically to their cars.
If they haven't mastered it or use it as an excuse one the season rolls out in Australia, then shame on them. And I would value them less in my books.

Hawkmoon
12th October 2007, 01:05
they will have all winter to run hundreds of laps in order to get accustomed to it and specifically to their cars.
If they haven't mastered it or use it as an excuse one the season rolls out in Australia, then shame on them. And I would value them less in my books.

Prepare to be disappointed. Many of them used the change from Michelin to Bridgestone as an excuse this year so I reckon there will be a lot of "getting used to no TC" excuses next year.

I don't know who'll suffer from the lack of TC but F1 Racing this month believes that Raikkonen, Webber and Hamilton all have driving styles that will suit the lack of TC. It'll be interesting to see if they're right.

wedge
12th October 2007, 01:24

They got away with it, along with the likes of Benetton, because there was a grey-area with engine mapping ie. they regulated the revs via the fuel systems and fuel intake. Whilst having sensors on the rear of the car and respective wheelbubs was regarded as highly suspicious, there was nothing wrong with having throttle sensors and so forth.

Valve Bounce
12th October 2007, 03:43
Wurz definitely - he ain't got no car. :(

Roamy
12th October 2007, 04:24
Fisico would definitly be afected. Not sure about the rest

probably more so from the fact he ain't gonna have a ride

Roamy
12th October 2007, 04:29
the fact is that the driver will have to set the car up but the bottom line will be who can keep the car "Loaded" in the corners. I would give the advantage to those who have driven many miles without TC but then again can you set your car up. two real fast choices are power oversteer but when you are gone you are gone or a rotated push car can be extremely fast with a option to collect the car coming out of the corner if you get loose