PDA

View Full Version : Daytona

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th October 2007, 11:11
Should we prepare for a boring daytona race?

electron
10th October 2007, 12:31
I would bet we should not. Now everybody knows how this works with the COT and figured out the differences in plate trim. And after the winterbreak getting into gear at Daytona will realese a few more drops of adrenaline in each driver compared to the cautious aproach in the thick of the chase. in Daytona you can win again, here a lot of guys only had to loose a lot (some did actually...)
So no, I expect a tight field with Toyota well in the mix and no boring race.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th October 2007, 13:11
I do think one thing no one has mentioned is the repaving at Dega. even with the old car it was top lane follow-the-leader as well.

djparky
10th October 2007, 20:10
nope- reckon it will be a good race, thoroughly enjoyed the last two races even though I froze my ass off both times thanks to the unusually cold weather race the last couple of years

wedge
12th October 2007, 01:34
When the tested at Dega, the COT cars orginally lapped quicker in the draft with the original plate size and then went for stricter tolerance. Hopefully NASCAR will have the guts to allow those engines a bit more air to play with.

I love the plate races, but watching those long single file trains sucks! :down:

call_me_andrew
12th October 2007, 04:13
The long trains are nice for a few minutes, but only a few minutes. I think they were too conservative with the plate. NASCAR wanted to slow them down after the drivers mentioned that they could draft easier than they could pass. They should have left the plates alone and raised the wing to 12 degrees.

I'm really not sure how Daytona is going to go. Some teams might run the splitter out a little more there. If the car is as safe as NASCAR claims then they should be able to run 210-215 with out so much trouble.

RaceFanStan
12th October 2007, 14:33
I expect some adjustments will be made for Daytona.
NASCAR wants to improve the racing, not put people to sleep. ;)

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
12th October 2007, 15:05
they should be able to run 210-215 with out so much trouble.

I doubt NASCAR will let them run that fast. they seem to want to keep speeds below the 200mph mark.

call_me_andrew
13th October 2007, 04:26
NASCAR wants to improve the racing, not put people to sleep. ;)

Think about it this way. It's harder to change the channel after you've fallen asleep.

I doubt NASCAR will let them run that fast. they seem to want to keep speeds below the 200mph mark.

I just said what they should do. Not what they will do.

harvick#1
13th October 2007, 06:37
I guess alot of people forgot this years 500 race was a bore until the Stewart/Busch wreck, then it got dark and all hell broke loose.

Nascar really has ruined the two best tracks by tinkering too much, Bristol and Talladega

RaceFanStan
13th October 2007, 16:24
No, I don't think anyone forgot this year's Daytona 500 but that was with the "old" car ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

the factor to the boring race @ Talladega is that it was the 1st restrictor plate COT race ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/yawn.gif

in 2008 the Daytona 500 will also be with the COT (as will ALL the Cup races next year) ... :s

it is clear that the restrictor plated COTs will need to be adjusted to make the racing good ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

otherwise the racing in the 2008 Daytona 500 will be as bad as the ho-hum Talladega race. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

call_me_andrew
13th October 2007, 20:32
Nascar really has ruined the two best tracks by tinkering too much, Bristol and Talladega

Reconfiguring Bristol was Bruton Smith's idea. Frankly, I think he did a good job.

Both tracks needed to be repaved anway. The surfaces were falling apart at the seams.

I thought Daytona was a good race with a horrible finish.

Since the COT makes more downforce in restrictor plate trim than the old car, it's possible that the field wont string out and the drivers won't have to lift.