PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Nakajima replaces Wurz for Brazil

Giuseppe F1
9th October 2007, 10:30
Good move I feel in order to assess his race ability before 08 and yet another F1 racing dynasty to boot. Nakajima has been a bit wild in some of the GP2 races this year although has been relatively quick all year and of course being one of Toyota's Young Drivers has surely smoothed his transition to F1 race seat - shall be watching with interest:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63168

Williams confirm Nakajima for Brazil
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, October 9th 2007, 08:48 GMT

Williams have confirmed that Kazuki Nakajima will race for them in the final Grand Prix of the season, as autosport.com predicted earlier today.

Having covered more than 7000 kilometres of testing for the team this year, as well as taking part in five Friday practice sessions, Williams felt he was the obvious choice to replace the retiring Alexander Wurz.

Speaking about his opportunity, Nakajima said, "I am very grateful to the team who have given me this opportunity.

"I hope I now know the car very well and thankfully have done some Friday driving as recently as Shanghai.

"This is a chance I intend to grab with both hands and repay the faith the team are showing in me with a strong performance."

Team boss Frank Williams has made it clear, however, that the Brazil outing is not an evaluation for a 2008 race seat.

"You cannot assess a driver's capability on the basis of one race but this is an ideal opportunity to develop Kazuki's experience," explained Williams.

"I am confident he will approach the race in a very workmanlike and focused way."

seppefan
9th October 2007, 10:45
What a missed opportunity. The first of the new generation of second tier F1 drivers just because of the engine. Chandock will be next. Oh well it is all about money anyway.

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 11:29
Well, well, well!! I did say that Frank was after a Pay Driver for his tanks, and some here didn't believe me. Frank is short of a Factory Engine deal and he will be short of money until he gets one. Reminds me of Eddie Jordan's deal with Honda, who gave him the Mugen.

Mikeall
9th October 2007, 12:49
Another son of an F1 driver... I haven't watched any GP2 this year but he did finish 4th overall behind Glock, di Grassi and Fillipi who already have links with F1 teams.

truefan72
9th October 2007, 12:54
he deserves a shot

and he's no pay driver either

acquitted himelf very well in GP2

good luck to him in Japan

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 12:57
and he's no pay driver either

Can you say this and cross your heart, and scouts honour??

Oli_M
9th October 2007, 13:15
He's a Toyota racing development driver program graduate, I think it was encouraged by Toyota that along with the engines Williams would also get him as a tester.

I will admit I havn't seen him race much, but the little that I have seen of him in GP2 this year is mostly positive. I havn't seen anyone in GP2 this year that is a reminder of Rosberg/Kovy/Lewis but I would happily see him in than some of the current crop of drivers who havn't proved their worth this year. Good luck to him, another one to add to the off season merry-go-round I think!!

Ranger
9th October 2007, 13:21
Haven't seen him, but at least his credentials look good. Good luck to him.

Bezza
9th October 2007, 13:35
Well we've never really had a decent Japanese driver. Katayama, Suzuki, Nakajima Snr I suppose did well enough with the equipment they had. But then you have Inoue, Takagi, Nakano, Sato, Ide and Yamamoto on the other end of the scale - consistently crashing.

Where will Nakajima Jnr fit in? I am not expecting much.

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 14:01
Actually, we have seen a vast improvement in Sato this year.

But the Wurz departure leaves me puzzled: did Wurz retire or was he retired?

Ranger
9th October 2007, 14:05

But the Wurz departure leaves me puzzled: did Wurz retire or was he retired?

He retired by announcing his retirement (based on what Wurz has said), but was retired by Williams for his last race in Brazil. That's how I see it.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:22
Thats really good news :rotflmao: .
Lets guess, who will he take out in the 1st corner.

Bezza
9th October 2007, 14:45

He's been outshone by Davidson, particularly in the second half of the season. A lucky 6th in Canada doesn't cloud over that fact. He might be crashing less, but after 6 seasons of F1 that should be a given.

jens
9th October 2007, 15:45
Besides three Japanese teams we will be also seeing three Japanese drivers on the grid. Can't remember something like that. Japanese are enjoying a golden period in F1. :up: :)

I'm positive about Kazuki. If he manages to impress in Brazil (it means drive more competitively than Wurz, especially in qualifying), then he has very good chances of getting a contract for 2008 too. He did fairly well in FP1 for the Chinese Grand Prix, clocking 9th fastest time. I think the decision to give Kazuki a chance to race at a Grand Prix already this year was made already before Shanghai event. It's not coincidence that Kazuki was given a chance at FP1 there. And also Wurz immediately after the race announced his retirement, so the decision had to be made earlier...

I would really like to see a true top driver from Japan one day, who fights for the WDC, but I doubt it would be Kazuki.

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 15:50
I would really like to see a true top driver from Japan one day, who fights for the WDC, but I doubt it would be Kazuki.

I'd also like to see a true top team from Japan one day!

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 00:06
He's been outshone by Davidson, particularly in the second half of the season. A lucky 6th in Canada doesn't cloud over that fact. He might be crashing less, but after 6 seasons of F1 that should be a given.

The development of the second hand Honda has been greatly outpaced by rival teams, especially when Team Honda are doing it's best to keep the second Hand Hondas from beating them. Supr Aguri couldn't even afford to go to Jerez, for goodness sake.

Having said this, Sato's efforts need to be regarded in this light. That ant has got that shyte of a car into Q2 is something forum members here tend to ignore.

I suppose if ant qualifies ahead of Nakajima in Brazil, all sorts of excuses will be proferred; and if he doesn't, then you guys will say you were right - the guy really isn't that good.

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 00:10
Besides three Japanese teams we will be also seeing three Japanese drivers on the grid. Can't remember something like that. Japanese are enjoying a golden period in F1. :up: :)

I'm positive about Kazuki. If he manages to impress in Brazil (it means drive more competitively than Wurz, especially in qualifying), then he has very good chances of getting a contract for 2008 too. He did fairly well in FP1 for the Chinese Grand Prix, clocking 9th fastest time. I think the decision to give Kazuki a chance to race at a Grand Prix already this year was made already before Shanghai event. It's not coincidence that Kazuki was given a chance at FP1 there. And also Wurz immediately after the race announced his retirement, so the decision had to be made earlier...

First of all, the guy should have no trouble driving more competitively than Wurz in Brazil, seeing Wurz hasn't even got a car; Wurz is unlikely to get very far in Quals. :rolleyes:

You don't think that Nakajima was given a chance because it comes with an engine deal for Frank's tanks? :eek:

DazzlaF1
10th October 2007, 00:12
The development of the second hand Honda has been greatly outpaced by rival teams, especially when Team Honda are doing it's best to keep the second Hand Hondas from beating them. Supr Aguri couldn't even afford to go to Jerez, for goodness sake.

Having said this, Sato's efforts need to be regarded in this light. That ant has got that shyte of a car into Q2 is something forum members here tend to ignore.

I suppose if ant qualifies ahead of Nakajima in Brazil, all sorts of excuses will be proferred; and if he doesn't, then you guys will say you were right - the guy really isn't that good.

The more i've seen ant this season, the more i think he deserves a better car than what he's got, to haul it into Q2 on a regular basis (and in some cases, on the verge of the final shootout) is nothing short of remarkable

With Wurz retiring, i'd love to see Davidson get the no2 seat at Williams next season as i think he deserves it, but i dont know if he has re-signed with Aguri for 2008

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 00:14
The more i've seen ant this season, the more i think he deserves a better car than what he's got, to haul it into Q2 on a regular basis (and in some cases, on the verge of the final shootout) is nothing short of remarkable

With Wurz retiring, i'd love to see Davidson get the no2 seat at Williams next season as i think he deserves it, but i dont know if he has re-signed with Aguri for 2008

Maybe if ant came to Frank with a Honda engine deal, that might be a chance. :rolleyes:

Hawkmoon
10th October 2007, 01:30
Considering Wurz is only 2 points behind Rosberg I think he's driven pretty well in races this year, despite his struggles in qualifying.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Honda pull their works engine deal from Williams and give it to Lotus in 1988 because Williams refused to run the elder Nakajima, Satoru? Kind of ironic, no?

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 10:24
Considering Wurz is only 2 points behind Rosberg I think he's driven pretty well in races this year, despite his struggles in qualifying.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Honda pull their works engine deal from Williams and give it to Lotus in 1988 because Williams refused to run the elder Nakajima, Satoru? Kind of ironic, no?

I'll pass on that - but Wurz had done OK this year, certainly better than Naka would next year. But Wurz didn't come with an engine deal. These are the realities of life in F1.

jens
10th October 2007, 10:57
First of all, the guy should have no trouble driving more competitively than Wurz in Brazil, seeing Wurz hasn't even got a car; Wurz is unlikely to get very far in Quals. :rolleyes:

You don't think that Nakajima was given a chance because it comes with an engine deal for Frank's tanks? :eek:

Why are you so sceptical about Kazuki? Engine deal or not, but he is not that bad that he even doesn't deserve a chance in F1.

About the comparison with Wurz. Well, Alex has failed to qualify the car into Top10 this season. If Kazuki achieves it, it would be better than Alex managed during the whole year.

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 14:01
If Kazuki gets into Q3 in Brazil, I will jump into Albert Park Lake the next morning fully clothed.