PDA

View Full Version : If Max leaves, who should replace him?

wmcot
8th October 2007, 22:59
A lot of posters want Max out of his position (I usually agree) but nobody has suggested a replacement. Who would you pick to do a fair job?

A couple of thoughts:

Damon Hill, Jean Todt - not sure if they can be unbiased.
Frank Williams - seems honest and fair.

Any other nominations?

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 23:04
Jean Todt of course :D

AndyRAC
8th October 2007, 23:26
Tricky, as the F1A isn't just F1, there's all the other Motorsports to think about, which is were Max has gone wrong, concentrating too much on F1. Also there is the road safety, etc..

wmcot
9th October 2007, 01:07
Tricky, as the F1A isn't just F1, there's all the other Motorsports to think about, which is were Max has gone wrong, concentrating too much on F1. Also there is the road safety, etc..

Oh yeah, maybe I should have said that just as far as the F1 part is concerned. I haven't heard of any real complaints about Max from other areas. Maybe Max should stay on as the road safety chairman and split the racing portion off.

For the sake of simplicity, let's just limit this to the F1 part of the FIA president's role. Maybe I should have worded the title as "Who would be best for F1 if Max leaves?"

ShiftingGears
9th October 2007, 01:49
Jackie Stewart! :D

Roamy
9th October 2007, 06:42
well stewart if you want politics and a good guy
ole one ear (lauda) if you don't want any bullsh!t

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 06:44
?

Harpo?? :p :

Tazio
9th October 2007, 08:52
Eddie Irvine would be the obvious choice

pino
9th October 2007, 08:56
Michael Schumacher :p :

janneppi
9th October 2007, 09:18
Dave Richards of course, that would keep both the F1 and WRC crowd equally unhappy. :D

ShiftingGears
9th October 2007, 09:39

He seems more like the type that would drop dead before he stopped running a grand prix team though. Can't see it happening.

wmcot
9th October 2007, 09:44
Matt Bishop? :)

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 09:46
Dave Richards of course, that would keep both the F1 and WRC crowd equally unhappy. :D

I actually think he would be an excellent candidate.

gm99
9th October 2007, 10:05
With LH likely to be an F1 frontrunner for the next decade or so, it would be wise not to have a British FIA President, as any of his actions would be seen to favour Lewis.

Jean Todt is still too closely associated with Ferrari, and any of his actions would be seen to favour the Scuderia.

Where are the neutral Swiss when you need them - Peter Sauber anyone? :D
(his lack of mastering the English language could be a major problem, though).

In a few years, Alex Wurz might be a good choice - well spoken, highly intelligent, already involved in road safety campaigns - but he's far too young at this point.

ioan
9th October 2007, 10:44

That's why Jean Todt and Dave Richards would be the ideal people for they were/are both involved in Rallying, Endurance racing and F1.

Todt is close to Ferrari and Richards to McLaren at this moment, so it will make for good conspiracy theories in both cases. :p :

AndyRAC
9th October 2007, 11:01
Oh yeah, maybe I should have said that just as far as the F1 part is concerned. I haven't heard of any real complaints about Max from other areas. Maybe Max should stay on as the road safety chairman and split the racing portion off.

For the sake of simplicity, let's just limit this to the F1 part of the FIA president's role. Maybe I should have worded the title as "Who would be best for F1 if Max leaves?"

You can't separate the roles, the FIA President covers everything, so in my view, should have a broad knowledge. Just because he's good for F1 doesn't mean he'd be good for other Motorsports. Tho only people I can think of, already mentioned, DR & JT.

F1boat
9th October 2007, 12:42
Michael Shumacher, IMO, he knows F1 and has done a campaign for safe driving.

truefan72
9th October 2007, 13:34
You don't need to be a former driver. Owner or team principle to run the FIA, it is much bigger than F1 and requires somebody with CEO type skills, and a savvyness of a master marketer. The head of FIA is not a god or king, but rather put as the steward of a vast number of sanctioned motor sports.

I would rather they hire somebody with a passion for the sports but a more seasoned and qualified background in leading large organizational bodies, no matter the industry.

What the FIA desperately needs now is a sense of transparency, legitimacy along with fair and balanced jurisprudence. We don’t need another racing guy with a singular and narrow mindedness.

Mikeall
9th October 2007, 13:42
Aside from act as a spokesman and judge a few cases Max Mosely doesn't exactly run F1 on a day to day basis. If someone was to replace him only with regards to F1 they wouldn't actually have that much to do. I would guess one of the heads of the motoring clubs would be elected as President, rather than from an F1 team or an ex F1 driver.

Mikeall
9th October 2007, 13:45
You don't need to be a former driver. Owner or team principle to run the FIA, it is much bigger than F1 and requires somebody with CEO type skills, and a savvyness of a master marketer. The head of FIA is not a god or king, but rather put as the steward of a vast number of sanctioned motor sports.

I would rather they hire somebody with a passion for the sports but a more seasoned and qualified background in leading large organizational bodies, no matter the industry.

What the FIA desperately needs now is a sense of transparency, legitimacy along with fair and balanced jurisprudence. We don’t need another racing guy with a singular and narrow mindedness.

The problem with the drive for transparency is that it puts more attention on controversy rather than racing.

TMorel
9th October 2007, 13:53
Truefan72, that's pretty much what I was thinking.
Any idea what sort of financial package Max is on? Them bigwig CEO types don't come cheap, although hopefully they might appreciate the challenge for a few years over the dosh.

Mind you, could you imagine the spinoff TV shows if Alan Sugar got involved?

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 14:04

I propose John Knuckles Connolly. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22552645-11088,00.html

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:26
I think the FIA role ought to be fulfilled by three people.

An ex driver, and ex team principle (not EJ, he'll just try every trick in the book to get rich) and a third (independant if you like) person.

So, Keke Rosberg or Niki Lauder.

Jackie Stewart or Guy Ligier or even Stoddy?

As for the independant bod, any suggestions?

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 15:27
I nominate myself.

jens
9th October 2007, 16:37
Bernie... if he lives that long. :D

Easy Drifter
9th October 2007, 17:41
Tony George????????? :angel:

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 17:54
I nominate myself.

Come back Max, all is forgiven :laugh:

I think Arrows should apply. You got a P45 handy mate :D

leopard
10th October 2007, 04:13
N. Jones, he has prominently showed me the color :)

call_me_andrew
10th October 2007, 07:53
I nominate myself because I'm the only person I would trust in such a position.

ArrowsFA1
10th October 2007, 09:20
I think Arrows should apply. You got a P45 handy mate :D
Well I'm on the lookout for a job :p Retirement isn't what it's all cracked up to be :D

Flat.tyres
10th October 2007, 10:45
Well I'm on the lookout for a job :p Retirement isn't what it's all cracked up to be :D

When you get it (you've got my vote :up: ) we need to figure out a way to elbow Bernie out so I can take his place.

555-04Q2
10th October 2007, 13:13
A lot of posters want Max out of his position (I usually agree) but nobody has suggested a replacement. Who would you pick to do a fair job?

A couple of thoughts:

Damon Hill, Jean Todt - not sure if they can be unbiased.

Any other nominations?

fousto gets my vote :up:

ioan
10th October 2007, 13:16
When you get it (you've got my vote :up: ) we need to figure out a way to elbow Bernie out so I can take his place.

Looks like Max and Bernie all over again. No thanks! :p :

Flat.tyres
10th October 2007, 13:28
Looks like Max and Bernie all over again. No thanks! :p :

No, we would move it away from the Ferrari bias and ensure fair application of the rules. BIG DIFFERENCE :p :

Sleeper
10th October 2007, 13:49
Steffan Ratel (sp?), he's done an excellent job of running GT racing over the last decade. Plus, he's French, so no obvious views of bias.

Flat.tyres
10th October 2007, 14:15
Steffan Ratel (sp?), he's done an excellent job of running GT racing over the last decade. Plus, he's French, so no obvious views of bias.

What, you mean he hates everyone :D