PDA

View Full Version : Channel 10, this is getting ridiculous!

millencolin
8th October 2007, 15:32
Ok, i am used to watching races late at night, being an australian open wheel racing fan i rarely have a choice.

But the best part of the end of the racing season in Formula One is the races in Japan and China (soon singapore) because it gives the australian Open Wheel fan a chance to watch the races at a suitable hour.

now the ChineseGp is usually shown during the day, but it wasnt this time round. I can understand why Channel 10 didn't decide to run it during the afternoon (it had no chance of getting ratings against channel 7's bathurst broadcast... which was a nailbiter)... but the good thinkers at 10 decided to put the race on at 1am!!!!!! somehow South Africa vs Fiji in the rugby union world cup was more important than a sporting event where an australian actually COMPETES!!!

1am is the worst time as well! the problem with 1am is that its too early to go to sleep beforehand, but its too late to stay up for. I tried to get to sleep before the race, barely happened... so i was hell tired for the race, fell asleep after 15 mins and luckily woke up on the lap where lewis hamilton decided to pit. plus with 3 laps to go i couldnt take it any longer and had to go to bed thinking the result wouldnt change (luckily it didnt)

good to see you got youre priorities straght Channel 10... because im sure a world cup where Australia doesnt even compete in anymore (thank you england :p :) is more important than the Chinese GP!

Tazio
9th October 2007, 00:29
Ok, i am used to watching races late at night, being an australian open wheel racing fan i rarely have a choice.

But the best part of the end of the racing season in Formula One is the races in Japan and China (soon singapore) because it gives the australian Open Wheel fan a chance to watch the races at a suitable hour.

now the ChineseGp is usually shown during the day, but it wasnt this time round. I can understand why Channel 10 didn't decide to run it during the afternoon (it had no chance of getting ratings against channel 7's bathurst broadcast... which was a nailbiter)... but the good thinkers at 10 decided to put the race on at 1am!!!!!! somehow South Africa vs Fiji in the rugby union world cup was more important than a sporting event where an australian actually COMPETES!!!

1am is the worst time as well! the problem with 1am is that its too early to go to sleep beforehand, but its too late to stay up for. I tried to get to sleep before the race, barely happened... so i was hell tired for the race, fell asleep after 15 mins and luckily woke up on the lap where lewis hamilton decided to pit. plus with 3 laps to go i couldnt take it any longer and had to go to bed thinking the result wouldnt change (luckily it didnt)

good to see you got youre priorities straght Channel 10... because im sure a world cup where Australia doesnt even compete in anymore (thank you england :p :) is more important than the Chinese GP!
well that put you in the same boat as every one watching from EST.(USA)
being on the west coast it started at 11 :o opm. a most tidy time imo 1 :o oAM
kind of sucks doesn't it.

Ranger
9th October 2007, 01:14

At least it was for a decent reason (unlike Big Brother running half an hour overtime). Still, Brazilian GP will be live at that time of the morning anyway. :p :

Rollo
9th October 2007, 01:16

I bet you actually saw the damn thing LIVE. Over the past 3 years, we have seen a grand total of 3 GPs live and none of them were even the Australian GP which you'd expect at least to see live because we're in ****ing Australia.

Channel 10 are a bunch of ****ing ****s and should be shot in the kn*ckers, kn*ckers and kn*ckers because they clearly don't give a ****, ****, **** or a **** about the motorsport fans in this country. The sooner Channel 10 has F1 stripped from it the better.

FOR SHAME... BOOOO! :angryfire :

PSfan
9th October 2007, 01:30

Hate to disagree with you on this one, But at least we in the US/Canada, a 2am F1 race is live, Saturday night/Sunday Morning... Our poor friends from Australia are stuck with tape delay and on Monday Morning? I'de be fired from work for sure from being hours late every other monday if that was the case for me, and don't get me started on how much it would suck staying away from Sports channels and the internet so as not to spoil the surpise of the races outcome.

Sometimes I don't know how some f1 fans deal with it, but then I think about Mark Webber, and realise most Australians must be a little crazy to begin with :cheese:

Hawkmoon
9th October 2007, 01:37
I bet you actually saw the damn thing LIVE. Over the past 3 years, we have seen a grand total of 3 GPs live and none of them were even the Australian GP which you'd expect at least to see live because we're in ****ing Australia.

Channel 10 are a bunch of ****ing ****s and should be shot in the kn*ckers, kn*ckers and kn*ckers because they clearly don't give a ****, ****, **** or a **** about the motorsport fans in this country. The sooner Channel 10 has F1 stripped from it the better.

FOR SHAME... BOOOO! :angryfire :

Whilst I agree entirely with what you've said, I have to ask the question of who should get the coverage?

Channel 9 were no better, if not worse. Channel 7 have the V8s and the AFL so F1 will always come after those two. The ABC and SBS don't have the budget to afford the rights. That only leaves Pay TV and I for one can't afford to pay $50 a month to watch 2 hours of TV a fortnight, as much as I'd like to.

I think we have to face the fact that F1 is a minor sport in Australia and will always be that way. It will never get prime time coverage.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 01:51
Hate to disagree with you on this one, But at least we in the US/Canada, a 2am F1 race is live, Saturday night/Sunday Morning... Our poor friends from Australia are stuck with tape delay and on Monday Morning? I'de be fired from work for sure from being hours late every other monday if that was the case for me, and don't get me started on how much it would suck staying away from Sports channels and the internet so as not to spoil the surpise of the races outcome.

Sometimes I don't know how some f1 fans deal with it, but then I think about Mark Webber, and realise most Australians must be a little crazy to begin with :cheese:
I stand corrected 2:am EST!

PSfan
9th October 2007, 02:38
I stand corrected 2:am EST!

I wasn't actually disagreeing as to the start time of the race (however I do believe it did start at 2am this year, most years it is a little later in the calender, and due to daylight savings time, I think it usually starts at 1am...)

However, I was disagreeing with the notion that what the Aussies suffer threw with the race starting at 1am Monday morning is anything like what we have with a 1am or 2am live race...

Imagine Speedtv tape delaying the Brazil race in 2 weeks time in favour of Nascar race day, followed by hours and hours of pinks all out, and payback, only to show the race tape delayed at 1am Monday morning... thats what they get. A race that has been long since decided when its finally broadcast, and sometimes only a few hours from when the end of the race is broadcast, to when many would have to get up for work, but I suppose if your one of the lucky who gets to work on Sunday, then I'm sure you can relate.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 03:10
I wasn't actually disagreeing as to the start time of the race (however I do believe it did start at 2am this year, most years it is a little later in the calender, and due to daylight savings time, I think it usually starts at 1am...)

However, I was disagreeing with the notion that what the Aussies suffer threw with the race starting at 1am Monday morning is anything like what we have with a 1am or 2am live race...

Imagine Speedtv tape delaying the Brazil race in 2 weeks time in favour of Nascar race day, followed by hours and hours of pinks all out, and payback, only to show the race tape delayed at 1am Monday morning... thats what they get. A race that has been long since decided when its finally broadcast, and sometimes only a few hours from when the end of the race is broadcast, to when many would have to get up for work, but I suppose if your one of the lucky who gets to work on Sunday, then I'm sure you can relate.
4:am is the the time I dutifully get up for European races. Seeing them live is the only way I want to view it.

truefan72
9th October 2007, 03:46

LOL how true, and absoultely correct.

at least we get to see the races live.
The fine fans of F1 in Australia have my sympathy.

I remember how upset I was about the tape delays of the FOX races this year.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 03:56
LOL how true, and absoultely correct.

at least we get to see the races live.
The fine fans of F1 in Australia have my sympathy.

I remember how upset I was about the tape delays of the FOX races this year.
Not only that, but we only got about three minutes of pre-race!

truefan72
9th October 2007, 04:01
Not only that, but we only got about three minutes of pre-race!

yep

think of f how much prereace coverage they gave nascar, irl, champcar on broadcast tv. With F1 it was like

"welcome to F1 on Fox!, the drivers are off on the parade lap..."
no intruige, no back story, nothing, The casual observes has no clue what's going on, how they qualified, what went down, etc.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 04:12
yep

think of f how much prereace coverage they gave nascar, irl, champcar on broadcast tv. With F1 it was like

"welcome to F1 on Fox!, the drivers are off on the parade lap..."
no intruige, no back story, nothing, The casual observes has no clue what's going on, how they qualified, what went down, etc.
Exactly. I could give a discourse on why that is.
But, I don't want to pi$$ any crossover fans off! Plus I would be stating the obvious!

millencolin
9th October 2007, 06:43

yeah, its a trait we all have :p :

its not the fact that the race was delayed that im angry about (because... well... come on... ITS BATHURST!)

but channel 10 seemed to think South Africa vs Fiji in rugby union is more important? excuse me?

ABS (australian bureau of statistics) stats show that motorsport is the third most watched (or attended, not sure) in Australia... behind AFl and Horse racing, equal third with Rugby League... rugby union is way down the order! i could understand maybe for a wallabies game, but south africa vs fiji!!! come on, pay tv is designed for crap games like that!!

ozrevhead
9th October 2007, 09:35
unless we lobby for the sport to be on fox it wont change

Becasue we put up with it by watching in that hour and not making formal complaints it wont change

FIA will not have it on Pay TV (Foxtell)as their view is that more people will see it on free to air but if 10 keeps boadcasting the races like this than few will see it more than ever

More will watch it on Foxtel than those who stay up till 1am to watch it

truefan72
9th October 2007, 13:18
F1 is on cable here in the USA and in some areas, speed TV isn't even on the basic cable package, even from the same cable company. My brother lives 20 minutes away but they don't get Speed TV with basic coverage, its part of the"sports package" over there. and we both have the same cable provider.

What I'm trying to say is that F1 can survive and thrive on cable and doesn't need broadcast TV, what it needs is support and an opportunirty to have it live on TV.

How's the cable/sattelite situation down there.

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 13:39

You want to see F1 live? send me a PM - same goes for the other Aussis. You need high speed broadband tho' .

race_director
9th October 2007, 19:26
Even though we have to listen to Chris goodwin and his constant non sense. IF i remember correctly. The last taped broadcast of a F1 race was 1997 Austrian GP. every race is show is live here. Star sports has 2 sister channels. so even if it is not able to show the race live. the same is shown on ESPN

touch wood.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th October 2007, 19:44
Does anyone in the colonies have video/DVD recorders? :p

If I didn't record them I'd miss every F1 race (apart from Australia, Canada, USA, Japan and Brazil) because I have to work every Sunday.

Valve Bounce
9th October 2007, 20:57
Does anyone in the colonies have video/DVD recorders? :p

If I didn't record them I'd miss every F1 race (apart from Australia, Canada, USA, Japan and Brazil) because I have to work every Sunday.

They are kept in the prisoner's boats. If you are really good, they will lend you one. :p :

aryan
10th October 2007, 10:31

Exactly.. I deal with the time delay and tape broadcast in a way, I try not to visit any new sporting website, not to watch any news on TV and TELL MY FRIENDS ON PHONE CONVERSATIONS NOT TO INFORM ME OF THE RESULT until i've watched it...
then I innocently logon to the BBC website only to be presented with the title "Hamilton and McLaren fail due to a mistake"... :hmph: :hmph:

Not to mention that I didn't care much when I fell sleep during the broadcast after hamilton's episode, there wasn't much else to see :dozey:

aryan
10th October 2007, 10:44
For those of you advocating FOXTEL, please don't.

It's financially difficult for me to justify having a TV only to turn it on once every fortnight to watch F1 (During the past couple of months I have never watched anything on TV on than motorsport). There is no way that I will pay more money to Telstra to get cable. NO WAY.

Whose fault do you think it is that all broadband internet plans in Australia are capped? (hint" starts with "Tel"). And you Aussies have put up with this thing for years while the whole concept of limiting download per GB is foreign in North America, Japan, Europe, and anywhere else I can think of.

Yet you keep paying Telstra more and more and more...

I have realised that Telstra is the single entity which means Australia is a third world country when it comes to Internet, Cable TV, 3G coverage, fiber optic coverage, etc.

I have made a decision not to pay a cent to Telstra since I have moved down here, and I will
continue to do so even if F1 is moved to FOXTEL.

millencolin
10th October 2007, 14:01
ive been complaining about telstra's incompetance for years! the only choice i had to watch the champcar world series in the beginning of the year, race director, was impossible due to the downright **** internet telstra provides! instead of internet, they go out with some 'next-g' mobile coverage. Who gives a crap about that!!!! phones are for calling and texting, not surfing the net! thats what computers and proper internet is for

Telstra a run by a group of self loving boneheads who deserves to be publically bitchslapped by every single Australian (for those who are from overseas, that mgiht sound dramatic, but trust me they deserve it. and every single Australian would agree with me!)

Valve Bounce
10th October 2007, 14:04
Exactly.. I deal with the time delay and tape broadcast in a way, I try not to visit any new sporting website, not to watch any news on TV and TELL MY FRIENDS ON PHONE CONVERSATIONS NOT TO INFORM ME OF THE RESULT until i've watched it...
then I innocently logon to the BBC website only to be presented with the title "Hamilton and McLaren fail due to a mistake"... :hmph: :hmph:

Not to mention that I didn't care much when I fell sleep during the broadcast after hamilton's episode, there wasn't much else to see :dozey:

If you want to watch the race live, send me a PM. You will need broadband.