PDA

View Full Version : Kimi the next Schumacher

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 11:30
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63153

Ferrari are very pleased with how Kimi has settled in and claim he is potentially as good as Schumacher.

With 50% of the wins this year, if it wasn't for driver mistakes and reliability, I think Ferrari would have won both championships as in my opinion, the car is the best out there.

With the fine and other contractual dissadvantages from Stepneygate, Ferrari are looking very good for next year.

ShiftingGears
8th October 2007, 11:44
"I have to say that from mid-season to the race that he did today he can be at the same level as Michael. "

Important to note that there is a subtle difference between "can be" and "is", but for sure Kimi is fantastic and I think he will be brilliant next season as he's truly settled into Ferrari.

personally I don't think he's the next anyone. Kimi is Kimi.

pino
8th October 2007, 11:45
Just a note : please leave Stepneygate-story off this thread, thanks :)

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 11:52
"I have to say that from mid-season to the race that he did today he can be at the same level as Michael. "

Important to note that there is a subtle difference between "can be" and "is", but for sure Kimi is fantastic and I think he will be brilliant next season as he's truly settled into Ferrari.

Sorry but I think "can be" and "is potentially" have the same meaning. I wasn't claiming that he is the next Schumacher and should have put a "?" after the thread title if it makes the slightest bit of difference.

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 11:53
Just a note : please leave Stepneygate-story off this thread, thanks :)

Sorry Pino but if it has a bearing to this thread, then surely you don't want to censor it because of another thread.

If you are saying stick to the thread and don't drift off onto another Stepneygate conversation then I wholeheartedly agree :up:

ShiftingGears
8th October 2007, 12:01
Sorry but I think "can be" and "is potentially" have the same meaning. I wasn't claiming that he is the next Schumacher and should have put a "?" after the thread title if it makes the slightest bit of difference.

I agree with you - I was commenting on the title of the article at autosport. I should've made that clear too.

wedge
8th October 2007, 12:27

Some how I can't see Kimi running up to Todt asking for #1 status, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did/does.

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 12:44
I know Kimi is a superb driver and I think he has a great personality as well. Some don't like it but I find him hilarious.

But...... the thing is, why do we not hear more about Massa? I might be wrong but I never hear that Massa is the next Schumacher and get the feeling that he is being groomed for a RB type of role and isn't too happy about it.

Take China. He has proved to be a very fast driver but wasn't on the pace at all. Kimi would be in a much stronger position if he had of maintained his position and demoted FA to 3rd.

People don't really talk about Massa as being the next Ferrari WDC where Kimi is almost "owed" it.

Nobody is "owed" a championship. You should have to win it and I don't see Ferrari putting Massa in a situation to effectivly challenge by the stuff coming out of Marenello. I may be wrong though.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 12:59
Kimi took time to settle in at Ferrari, but from the French GP onwards he has comprehensively outscored Massa. He has established himself as his own man within the team and rightly dismissed any comparisons with MS.

Massa has been groomed by Ferrari, and has spent much of his career learning as much as he could from MS, but he seems destined for the de facto #2 role now and in future.

Ferrari are in a situation of their own making to a degree because of their focus on MS for 10yrs. They pinned their future hopes on Massa, but while he's good he's not up there with the best. So they (or rather Marlboro) invested another fortune in Kimi, and if they want another topliner they'll have to invest another fortune. Badoer and Gene may have been solid testers, but they were never going to progress further than Fiorano.

McLaren, meanwhile, invested in Hamilton.

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 13:34
Kimi took time to settle in at Ferrari, but from the French GP onwards he has comprehensively outscored Massa. He has established himself as his own man within the team and rightly dismissed any comparisons with MS.

Massa has been groomed by Ferrari, and has spent much of his career learning as much as he could from MS, but he seems destined for the de facto #2 role now and in future.

Ferrari are in a situation of their own making to a degree because of their focus on MS for 10yrs. They pinned their future hopes on Massa, but while he's good he's not up there with the best. So they (or rather Marlboro) invested another fortune in Kimi, and if they want another topliner they'll have to invest another fortune. Badoer and Gene may have been solid testers, but they were never going to progress further than Fiorano.

I find it hard to disagree with this.

I think they wanted Massa to take on the mantle but although he is one of the top drivers in the field, he has not got that final % of Kimi, Lewis or (dare I say it) Alonso.

I do think he compliments Kimi very well thought and hop Ferrari don't go back to the old strategy of the MS / RB days. Massa should be encouraged to fight to keep Kimi on his toes but they need a strategy for when Kimi moves on.

8th October 2007, 14:52
They pinned their future hopes on Massa

They did?

I've never seen a single quote from anybody at Ferrari saying that Massa was the big red hope.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 15:27
They did?

I've never seen a single quote from anybody at Ferrari saying that Massa was the big red hope.
It may not have been directly said but, given the support Ferrari have provided from early in his career, it's clear he has been seen as an important part of the teams future.

Massa has been associated with Ferrari almost as soon as he entered F1, and subsequently they have worked hard to develop him as a driver while giving him the opportunity to learn from MS before, and after, the champion retired.

wedge
8th October 2007, 15:50

Kimi has always been a part of the Ferrari family, he was after all signed to Sauber-Ferrari. Ferrari originally wanted Alonso but he opted for Flav and Renault instead.

I find it hard to disagree with this.

I think they wanted Massa to take on the mantle but although he is one of the top drivers in the field, he has not got that final % of Kimi, Lewis or (dare I say it) Alonso.

I do think he compliments Kimi very well thought and hop Ferrari don't go back to the old strategy of the MS / RB days. Massa should be encouraged to fight to keep Kimi on his toes but they need a strategy for when Kimi moves on.

As much as I love Kimi, I'm a bit dissappointed by Kimi this year.

Difference between Kimi & Massa is with Kimi you can expect him to pull something from nothing with his raw speed but sometimes relies too much on raw speed and sometimes treading the fine line of driving at 101% has been costly - during qualy for instance.

Kimi has also been criticised for asleep - paying attention on restarts in Bahrain for instance and arguably allowed LH through too easily at Monza.

Massa is on fire when he gets pole and sail to victory, but where you worry about him is his killer instinct. He was made to look stupid by LH in Malaysia and should've done a better job of holding off Alonso at Nurburgring.

I think Kimi is marginally the better driver based on the fact that Kimi doesn't have much of a problem keeping up with Massa, but when KR is ahead FM seems to fall behind a bit too easily for my liking.

8th October 2007, 15:58
It may not have been directly said

So it hasn't been said at all.

trumperZ06
8th October 2007, 16:08
;) Ferrari has decided who the next number one driver will be... having Forced Schumacher into early retirement... last year !!!

IMO... Massa is a good team supporter and will win a race once in a while... but Kimi is the faster of the two.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 16:11
So it hasn't been said at all.
I haven't looked for a quote from the likes of Luca saying "we are pinning our future hopes on Felipe", but their actions speak loudly enough.

8th October 2007, 16:17
I haven't looked for a quote from the likes of Luca saying "we are pinning our future hopes on Felipe", but their actions speak loudly enough.

Their actions speak loudly enough?

Only if you have selected hearing!

markabilly
8th October 2007, 16:28
The big problem for Kimi will be developing the type of leadership personality and chemistry that MS brought to Ferrari internal structure behind the scenes. It is not impossible, but it does not seem to be there yet.

While Kimi may have the ability to be ice cold under pressure and take to car to ultra-highs in terms of speed equal to or greater than MS, there is no question that MS was also a great tester and developer of the car, and yet he was even more. He was their spiritual leader on and off track. By contract and mere presence, no one worked on the cars or was a part of the team, unless he consented.

He was kept continuously informed as to what was happening, and had great relationships with Brawn and Todt (who seem to be unable to agree now as to how they should work together or even if).

Unless something is going on well hidden behind the scenes, Kimi seems to lack this personality, does not seem to want this, and certainly does not have this power in his contract--(I would bet on the latter lack of contractual power for sure!!)

Of all four of the top guys, FM, Kimi, FA and LH, please name one who has had the personality and the charisma inside the team, behind the scenes, to have anything like what MS possessed at Ferrari?

Based on how a certain team has reacted to him and how he has reacted to them, all year, there seems to be only one right now...and it appears certainly not anyone who is driving for ferrari.

(and for the record, please regard this as an admission by an opponent, rather than the usual drooling fawning from some fans for him...)

Whether he can keep it up over the years is another question.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 16:29
Their actions speak loudly enough?
Sorry. Didn't you hear me the first time :p

8th October 2007, 16:34
Sorry. Didn't you hear me the first time :p

I heard you.

But I just put that down as being the sound of the knackered old boiler in the cellar cranking, banging and spluttering away.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 16:40
But I just put that down as being the sound of the knackered old boiler in the cellar cranking, banging and spluttering away.
:laugh: :laugh:

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 16:41
I heard you.

You keep a Ferrari down there :s hock:

I think Arrows has a good point. Massa has been groomed to be a Ferrari driver and I think they expected something more. Don't you?

Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice chap, can drive a car well, is good with the media, can win odd races and is the fastest man on his day.

MMmmmmm, Rubins anyone ;)

8th October 2007, 16:52
I think Arrows has a good point. Massa has been groomed to be a Ferrari driver and I think they expected something more. Don't you?

Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice chap, can drive a car well, is good with the media, can win odd races and is the fastest man on his day.

MMmmmmm, Rubins anyone ;)

Actually, I think what they wanted was a Rubens-esque driver.

After all, it can be hard to find a driver who will do as he is told.....just ask Ron.

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 16:58
Actually, I think what they wanted was a Rubens-esque driver.

After all, it can be hard to find a driver who will do as he is told.....just ask Ron.

:laugh: Fair enough :laugh:

Now, stop hiding here and get back and answer that blooming question ;)

Crypt
8th October 2007, 17:53
Eeep, someone knock on wood for Kimi.

Boudica
8th October 2007, 20:05
I think people are seeing this in the wrong connection. Kimi is not suddenly going to become the overpowering leader type. But people usually has respect for him, he is always positive and will keep on trying. I think these qualities will motivate and inspire a team to pull together and try harder. Which is partly why I think Ferrari decided on him, and he is a team player he will not say anything negative about the team. He might not be the commanding leader type, but you get the feeling that people follow him naturally. Every one was very sceptical that he would fit into Ferrari. Interestingly he has done it exceptionally well, at the beginning of the year everyone seem to be more behind Massa now with the season closing everyone at Ferrari is suddenly behind Kimi. Is it coincidence, I think not, people naturally seem to follow Kimi.

What is also interesting is that Luca was Micheal's friend and engineer for 10 years. He was originally the one who was most apposed to the appointment of Kimi, he was the most sceptical about Kimi in Ferrari, he didn't want Micheal to leave. The fact that he has such a different opinion at the end of the year does say something about Kimi, and it is a compliment. Everyone can see that there is great harmony within Ferrari. Even the Tifosis, who were very sceptical of Kimi because of their long time hero Micheal, has done a complete turnaround and now they like Kimi, and they are the most difficult supporters to please.

Contrary to public believe Kimi has worked hard to adapt the car to his driving style, there is article in f1racing Mag, this month about this. Kimi has even showed more personality this year. There is just to many untrue stories about Kimi doing the rounds.

But he will never do the Shcumi, he will properly not be long enough in F1 to do this, he is a real racing driver first and foremost. He has mentioned that after his F1 career he wants to participate in the World Rally Championships.
He is the old school racing driver type.

jens
8th October 2007, 22:32
By raw speed probably there isn't much difference (if any) between Michael and Kimi indeed... Although as an overall "package" I have to say that drivers like Hamilton and Vettel remind me more of Schumacher. :D So the answer to the thread - Kimi the next Schumacher?? - I guess not quite. But he has established himself in the team very well, no doubt.

I feel sorry to Felipe. It looks like his star that rose at the end of 2006 and in the first half of 2007, is gradually falling. His contract ends after 2008 and if he is factually relegated to No.2 status, then he might consider leaving after that year...

Buzz Lightyear
8th October 2007, 23:27
People don't really talk about Massa as being the next Ferrari WDC where Kimi is almost "owed" it.

OK.. think about it.

For Ferrari, Kimi has to produce the WDC.

They have paid too much money for him to do otherwise. So for that reason Kimi also owes Ferrari, but only if Ferrari give their full weight to him. Then their decision can be fully jusified to their shareholders.

I also read an article in Autosport some time ago, that the McLaren and Ferrai engineers know that Kimi is the fastest driver they have EVER worked with. Ron Dennis also acknowledge that he feared Kimi if he ever found the ideal package and team, as he would be unstoppable.

To be fair to Kimi he has made less mistakes that anyone, and with his DNFs due to car failures, would be WDC by now.

Buzz Lightyear
8th October 2007, 23:32
I feel sorry to Felipe. It looks like his star that rose at the end of 2006 and in the first half of 2007, is gradually falling. His contract ends after 2008 and if he is factually relegated to No.2 status, then he might consider leaving after that year...

Unless he jumps to Toyota now, and demands No.1

Crypt
8th October 2007, 23:44
I want to ad to my last post;

Kimi is the next Kimi.

wmcot
9th October 2007, 00:21
Kimi MAY be the next MS in that he will be the #1 driver at Ferrari, but I don't think he can mold a team around him with the likes of Brawn, Byrne, Todt, et al.

Massa is a decent driver and will be competitive most of the time. Whenever I think of how far Massa has come I have to think back to Indy 2004 when I was at a Q&A session conducted by Matt Bishop. Part of the activities was an auction of F1 pieces. He had driver suits from JB and FM. His description of them was that JB's belonged to the next WDC while FM's was that of a future cab driver! Pretty accurate there, Bishop! :)

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 08:17
If the rumour is true (no link - it was said on the 5Live podcast) then Alonso has signed to join Ferrari for the 2009 season. Until then Heikki & Fernando will swap seats. If true then Felipe needs to be looking at his options :dozey:

leopard
9th October 2007, 09:42
By virtue of two drivers whom Felipe at the same team with, he is indeed designated to have no 2 status, although I can't guarantee that his teammate can do such amazing thriller together with Kubica like he has performed at Fuji.
It hasn't shocked me at all that he has to fall down when he started to shine as it's clearly readable by itself.

I didn't see Kimi is capable doing more thing other than driving fast, such an obligatory requirement for being the generationext of Schumi, charracter that you may see in politicking driver such as Hamilton or Alonso.

However to put Alonso alongside Kimi wouldn't be good choice as we may see another sequel of an Alonso-Hamilton at the Ferrari. Although Kimi seems to welcome Alonso but it will be vulnerable having a fact that one of them have to support another.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 09:57
However to put Alonso alongside Kimi wouldn't be good choice as we may see another sequel of an Alonso-Hamilton at the Ferrari. Although Kimi seems to welcome Alonso but it will be vulnerable having a fact that one of them have to support another.
I don't see it being an issue. Unlike FA, and LH I don't think kimi would care about anything FA had to say. He will do as he always does. DRIVE HIS A$$ OFF. Plus Ferrari wouldn't put up with that BS from Fred. I'm not saying it's a good match. But through careful negotiations. with a contract with specific rules, and incentives, FA would be thrilled to drive a red car.

leopard
9th October 2007, 10:04
I don't see it being an issue. Unlike FA, and LH I don't think kimi would care about anything FA had to say. He will do as he always does. DRIVE HIS A$$ OFF. Plus Ferrari wouldn't put up with that BS from Fred. I'm not saying it's a good match. But through careful negotiations. with a contract with specific rules, and incentives, FA would be thrilled to drive a red car.
alright, I am just worried that the title of the thread may stipulate 'Fred the next Schumacher' :o :)

ioan
9th October 2007, 11:31

There are also engineers and mechanics involved, not only the drivers.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 11:41
There are also engineers and mechanics involved, not only the drivers.
It's my understanding that Ferrari Engineers, and mechanics can get alot of milage out of a stratigically placed horses head.

555-04Q2
9th October 2007, 11:53
I think they expected something more. Don't you?

But with return on investment (salary based) Massa has done 4 times better than Kimi, dont you think :?: Where does that put Kimi then :?:

Juppe
9th October 2007, 16:38
But with return on investment (salary based) Massa has done 4 times better than Kimi, dont you think :?: Where does that put Kimi then :?:

I do understand that chances of bashing Kimi are becoming more rare now that he has settled at Ferrari, so you really need to dig deep... ;)

How many times better Massa was then last year than Michael according to your logic and where does it put Michael? :?:

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 16:46

I'm not doubting the worth of Massa. I think he is an ideal driver in the Ferrari camp to compliment Kimi. I'm just speculating that possibly Ferrari considered him as the lead role.

trumperZ06
9th October 2007, 16:53
I'm not doubting the worth of Massa. I think he is an ideal driver in the Ferrari camp to compliment Kimi. I'm just speculating that possibly Ferrari considered him as the lead role.

;) Based on the Salary they offered Kimi... I think he was the number one (lead role) choice... at Ferrari... all along.

It just took Ferrari a while to learn how to "set-up" the car to match Kimi's driving style.

:s mokin:

markabilly
9th October 2007, 16:54
If the rumour is true (no link - it was said on the 5Live podcast) then Alonso has signed to join Ferrari for the 2009 season. Until then Heikki & Fernando will swap seats. If true then Felipe needs to be looking at his options :dozey:

Why would falvio wants this ???
after 2008, he then has lost both, or so it would seem?

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 17:02
;) Based on the Salary they offered Kimi... I think he was the number one (lead role) choice... at Ferrari... all along.

It just took Ferrari a while to learn how to "set-up" the car to match Kimi's driving style.

That does appear to be the case.

Now, it looks like full stam ahead for Ferrari for 2008. They have got to be title contenders with the disadvantage McLaren have suffered.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 17:06
Why would falvio wants this ???
after 2008, he then has lost both, or so it would seem?

Good point. Lets look at some (recent) history.

Why did FA leave Renault? Well, his outburst that they were no treating him favourably - hmmm, I've seen that somewhere else recently..... - and the fact that Renault had not commited themselves for the longterm, meant he had his doubts. And Ron caught him, right place right time. Plus, Ferrari was full with FM and KR.

Renault did not do very well this year - bit of an understatement - so would FA want to commit to them long term, if there were to be (2009?) an opening at Ferrari......

......flip side is would FB want him just for one year?

Realistically, if I were FA, a one year contract at Toyota before oiking off to Ferrari would be the best option.......

If I were Ron, I would be reluctant to let FA drive elsewhere, nor would I want him in the McLaren next year. He has a binding contract, so what to do. I personally would put him out to pasture for all the crap he has contributed this year.....

rabf1
9th October 2007, 17:30
Hopefully Fred will take Hamilton out and Kimi is WDC this year. He deserves it.

trumperZ06
10th October 2007, 00:30
Good point. Lets look at some (recent) history.

Why did FA leave Renault? Well, his outburst that they were no treating him favourably - hmmm, I've seen that somewhere else recently..... - and the fact that Renault had not commited themselves for the longterm, meant he had his doubts. And Ron caught him, right place right time. Plus, Ferrari was full with FM and KR.

Renault did not do very well this year - bit of an understatement - so would FA want to commit to them long term, if there were to be (2009?) an opening at Ferrari......

......flip side is would FB want him just for one year?

Realistically, if I were FA, a one year contract at Toyota before oiking off to Ferrari would be the best option.......

If I were Ron, I would be reluctant to let FA drive elsewhere, nor would I want him in the McLaren next year. He has a binding contract, so what to do. I personally would put him out to pasture for all the crap he has contributed this year.....

;) Hhmmm... as I recall, Alonso signed with McLaren a couple of years ago... at that time Renault wasn't sure about continuing in Formula One... long term.

:rolleyes: Alonso's fit of anger with Renault last year... is really hard to explain !!!

leopard
10th October 2007, 03:23
I do understand that chances of bashing Kimi are becoming more rare now that he has settled at Ferrari, so you really need to dig deep... ;)

People are now focusing more on the McLaren drivers' battle, and temporarily overlooked Kimi as all have noticed the less interesting topic to talk that irrespective of the teammate's potency he is fixed price at the Ferrari ;)

Hawkmoon
10th October 2007, 03:48

I agree, but having thought about it a bit more I think McLaren may be in breach of contract if they don't let Alonso race, yet prevent him from racing elsewhere.

I doubt Alonso would sit quietly on the sidelines for 2008 whilst his rivals get a 12 month headstart on learning the new driver aid-less cars. It would end up being lawyers at 20 paces and the last thing McLaren need is another court case.

I think Ron needs to come to an amicable settlement with Alonso or race him. Any other scenario is bound to end up in tears.

Tazio
10th October 2007, 04:06
I agree, but having thought about it a bit more I think McLaren may be in breach of contract if they don't let Alonso race, yet prevent him from racing elsewhere.

I doubt Alonso would sit quietly on the sidelines for 2008 whilst his rivals get a 12 month headstart on learning the new driver aid-less cars. It would end up being lawyers at 20 paces and the last thing McLaren need is another court case.

I think Ron needs to come to an amicable settlement with Alonso or race him. Any other scenario is bound to end up in tears.
Man! good point.
Keeping FA from driving next year would lead to the civil case from hell.
This guy FA is a rather clever fellow.

555-04Q2
10th October 2007, 07:45

How many times better Massa was then last year than Michael according to your logic and where does it put Michael? :?:

I'm not bashing Kimi, just making an observation about F1 that applies to all drivers, including ex F1 driver Schumacher. Based on salary, Massa and Reubens were better than Schumacher as is Massa currently over Kimi. Bloody hell, look at the investment of Lewis over Fernando, he's returning a 100 times more than Fernando is.

My key words were "return on investment". Please leave bashing comments for people who bash for the sake of it ;)

leopard
10th October 2007, 10:25
Lewis is an exception, as the long term investment when it's due he can give you faster ROI without having to pay him at all :)

Juppe
10th October 2007, 15:00
I'm not bashing Kimi, just making an observation about F1 that applies to all drivers, including ex F1 driver Schumacher. Based on salary, Massa and Reubens were better than Schumacher as is Massa currently over Kimi. Bloody hell, look at the investment of Lewis over Fernando, he's returning a 100 times more than Fernando is.

My key words were "return on investment". Please leave bashing comments for people who bash for the sake of it ;)

But then, you would think that every earned point has got the same value. And that is not the case. If you win the championship by one point, then the points are lot more valuable than if you lose it with the same amount of points.

Besides, I do not know how much money Kimi makes, but I expect it to be a lot less than some wild estimations in media. First and foremost, Kimi wanted to drive for Ferrari and I think he was willing to do that even cheaper than to continue at McLaren.

However, I have no facts and I doubt that very few people do.

kalasend
10th October 2007, 19:51

Unfortunately(or fortunately for some), salary-worthiness does not grow linearly. In fact, everything in F1 works this way: that last ounce of difference is always more expensive than all before it.

Valve Bounce
11th October 2007, 01:40
My perception is that Kimi is getting along rather well at Ferrari and with his team mate. Both are competitive also, whenever the car suits the track. Under the circumstances, it does appear illogical, to me, to change this pairing.
The way I see it, if Ferrari produces a competitive car next year, they will win both championships with the current pairing of Kimi and Massa, and not have to put up with a helluva lot of in-fighting within the entire team.

Tazio
11th October 2007, 02:43
My perception is that Kimi is getting along rather well at Ferrari and with his team mate. Both are competitive also, whenever the car suits the track. Under the circumstances, it does appear illogical, to me, to change this pairing.
The way I see it, if Ferrari produces a competitive car next year, they will win both championships with the current pairing of Kimi and Massa, and not have to put up with a helluva lot of in-fighting within the entire team.

I'd say by this excerpt Kimi is indeed happy at Ferrari. I hope they have the vision to not mess with a chemistry that is likely to really click for some time.
Having said that. Is Kimi just going with the company line in his remarks in this statement regarding Fuji!
He strikes me as a person who is very matter of fact. My belief is he would rather say nothing than talk BS.

“At the end I was asked if that was the most beautiful victory with Ferrari: undeniably it was a very difficult one; the first one on a wet track; and it was really a great feeling. It could have been even better if there hadn't been the bitter aftertaste from what had happened at Fuji, with the rules handed out by the FIA without us having been informed."

Kimi couldn’t hide his satisfaction that he is back in the title race with just one race, the season finale in Brazil, to go…

"We're back in the fight. After the one in 2003, when I came to Suzuka with nine points behind Michael, this is the second time that I will play it in the last race. Now I'm seven points behind Hamilton and three behind Alonso. Anything can happen in the race. There are more possibilities to pick up on Alonso. In China it was the 200th victory in a GP for Ferrari: I played only a small part in this great history, but I'm very proud to be a part of this legendary team. 200 wins show how strong Ferrari really is."

http://f1.automoto365.com/news/controller.php?lang=en&theme=default&month=10&year=2007&nextMode=GpNewsForm&news_id=28340

Valve Bounce
11th October 2007, 04:35
I found it really strange that the FIA should instruct teams to fit any type of tyre for certain conditions - I would have thought this was a decision that each team would decide themselves.

But having said that, I am just astonished that the FIA would have forgotten to inform Ferrari and only Ferrari.

What the hell is going on?

Juppe
11th October 2007, 09:01
Having said that. Is Kimi just going with the company line in his remarks in this statement regarding Fuji!
He strikes me as a person who is very matter of fact. My belief is he would rather say nothing than talk BS.

He does not normally comment on controversial things very much. So I genuinely believe that at least Kimi did not know anything about the tire rule. So if the e-mail was overlooked by somebody, I don't think the drivers knew about it and therefore their conscience is clear.

Bummer in any case.

jas123f1
11th October 2007, 09:31
Kimi is Kimi, now and then. He an honest and cool guy and doesn’t speak too much b*** s***. I think it’s not so strange if he is better to day than I beginning of the season. I think it would be stranger if he would be on the same level now than when he was new in the team. There are many reasons for that - in beginning of the season the car was still Schumacher’s developed and even if it was a good one it was not 100% suited to Kimi. Later on they have changed it so today it feels ok for both drivers. Also the way to work together with the team is to day much better after that people know each other better and Schumacher’s shadow has disappeared. In my opinion it should be fair if Kimi take the title this year, what Bernie ever is saying (but I don’t think it will happen) .. :)

jas123f1
11th October 2007, 09:49
Kimi is Kimi, now and then. He's an honest and cool guy and doesn’t speak too much b*** s***. I think it’s not so strange if he is better to day than in beginning of the season. I think it would be stranger if he would be on the same level now than when he was new in the team. Even the car was in beginning of the season still Schumacher’s (and Massa) developed and even if it was a good one it was not 100% suited to Kimi. Later on they have changed it a bit so today it feels more ok for both drivers. And it's naturally that even the way to work together with the team is to day much better after that people know each other better and also because Schumacher’s shadow has more or less disappeared.
In my opinion it should be fair if Kimi take the title this year, what Bernie ever is saying (but I don’t think it will happen) ..
:)

ioan
11th October 2007, 10:00
But having said that, I am just astonished that the FIA would have forgotten to inform Ferrari and only Ferrari.

What the hell is going on?

It's all open for speculation! ;)

Valve Bounce
11th October 2007, 10:30
It's all open for speculation! ;)

I think it's more than that. If the FIA instructed all teams to start on certain tyres and Ferrari didn't, then they should have disqualified Ferrari.

On the other hand, if they had not informed Ferrari, then the results of the race are questionable.

You can't have it both ways.

I can see the FIA ducking for cover on this contentious issue.

ioan
11th October 2007, 10:41
I think it's more than that. If the FIA instructed all teams to start on certain tyres and Ferrari didn't, then they should have disqualified Ferrari.

On the other hand, if they had not informed Ferrari, then the results of the race are questionable.

You can't have it both ways.

I can see the FIA ducking for cover on this contentious issue.

That's what they did. The FIA said they will require a written acknowledgment or something like that from now on.
They didn't say that it was their fault, nor that it was Ferrari's fault. Bizarre.

markabilly
11th October 2007, 15:04
Was it a case where the FIA sent out an email to every team but Ferrari, and just forgot to put Ferrari "on the address" on the email (which is what I thought happened--but I could be wrong)

Or did they inclide ferrari, but no one at ferrari saw or opened the email to read, until too late, race had started?

:confused:

F1MAN2007
11th October 2007, 15:50
Was it a case where the FIA sent out an email to every team but Ferrari, and just forgot to put Ferrari "on the address" on the email (which is what I thought happened--but I could be wrong)

Or did they inclide ferrari, but no one at ferrari saw or opened the email to read, until too late, race had started?

:confused:

Why using email while they could inform all the team via radio?!

pino
11th October 2007, 22:03
Please let's stick to the topic...thanks :)

Tazio
12th October 2007, 06:11
He does not normally comment on controversial things very much. So I genuinely believe that at least Kimi did not know anything about the tire rule. So if the e-mail was overlooked by somebody, I don't think the drivers knew about it and therefore their conscience is clear.

Bummer in any case.
OK back on topic.
In this sense Kimi is not another Schumacher, because after I posted that quote(saying it's Mikes) It would have been greeted with something alot different than the example above( not to single Juppe out for any other reason than hypathetical ) It would have been followed by "yea right, only the Chin could have come in changed to full wets passed the field up to his original grid position and not be penalized!!!!!!!!!!!"
Ok pino?

pino
12th October 2007, 07:33
OK back on topic.
In this sense Kimi is not another Schumacher, because after I posted that quote(saying it's Mikes) It would have been greeted with something alot different than the example above( not to single Juppe out for any other reason than hypathetical ) It would have been followed by "yea right, only the Chin could have come in changed to full wets passed the field up to his original grid position and not be penalized!!!!!!!!!!!"
Ok pino?

My english must be crap, since my request to keep Stepneygate story off here has been ignored by many... :rolleyes: