PDA

View Full Version : Wurz to retire from racing

ArrowsFA1
7th October 2007, 12:42
Alex Wurz has decided to retire from Formula One racing at the end of this season, autosport.com can reveal.
The Austrian made his decision after his podium finish at the Canadian Grand Prix, and autosport.com understands he even considered pulling out immediately and going out on a high note. But he committed himself to completing the season out of respect for the Williams team.
Speculation surrounding the 33-year-old's future had been rife for some time, however sources suggest that Wurz had been advised by Williams he was one of a small number of drivers on the shortlist for a race seat next year.
Other names thought to be under consideration include Adrian Sutil, Nelson Piquet Jr and test driver Kazuki Nakajima, the latter having been described as "Formula One material" by Frank Williams during a press conference earlier this weekend.
While Wurz will not race in F1 after Brazil, it is believed that Williams is keen to retain his services as a test driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63104

Dave B
7th October 2007, 12:54
James Allen mentioned that in passing during his commentary, but didn't sound like he particularly gave a toss.

I, on the other hand, think that Alex has contributed a lot to the sport over the last decade - sadly not always in a race seat. Although rarely the most rapid driver on pace alone, his car development skills were held in high regard.

If Toyota had any sense... hang on, I'll stop there. We all know they haven't :p

jens
7th October 2007, 13:43
If Toyota had any sense... hang on, I'll stop there. We all know they haven't :p

You seriously think that Alex would be better than the Toyota race drivers?

But he may become a test driver. ;)

Garry Walker
7th October 2007, 13:49
Massive loss LOL.

jonny hurlock
7th October 2007, 14:00
shame,

best race was for him monaco 98, when he gives schumacher no bull around the streets dispite the crash afew laps later. I do feel that it will be a masssive lost for williams next year with his exprence

cy bais
7th October 2007, 15:46
Hope he stays in F1 in some capacity.

ArrowsFA1
7th October 2007, 16:31
James Allen mentioned that in passing during his commentary...
Missed that cuz I was listening to 5Live :s mokin:

fandango
7th October 2007, 17:48
The only person I ever heard say a bad word about Wurz was, oddly enough, his illustrious compatriot Nikki Lauda. When Alex became a tester a few years ago Lauda said he thought Wurz didn't really have enough talent to get back to the topline in F1. Looks like he was right. Nice guys often don't win...

And the next question is who will take his place? Probably not Ralf....

redson
7th October 2007, 17:58
And the next question is who will take his place? Probably not Ralf....

It could be Frank Montagny? But we already donīt know if Williams will need one or two drivers (the Nico Rosberg rumour). Until Alonso donīt clear his future we donīt know what is going to happen with all available seats

truefan72
7th October 2007, 18:00
I liked wurz,

I think he might have an influential future in F1, in some front office/team leadership capacity.

Thanks for the years, the honesty and the dignity

Kevincal
7th October 2007, 18:01
I wonder if his choice to retire has anything to do with his newborn baby. Maybe his wife is pressuring him to come home or maybe he just wants to spend more time with his family...

aryan
7th October 2007, 18:41
Alex Wurz,

One of the more honest guys out there. Someone who had the decency to say it as it is, without corporate crap attached to it. A true car developer with amazing setup abilitites. Maybe not the fastest one out there, but he knew how to race when he had his chances...

I am very sad to see him retire, and I really hope he stays in F1 in some capacity. With all these years in F1 in different teams ans roles, I think he has the experience to be seen as a potential team director.

Alex, thanks for all the years and all the good bits. We will miss you!

BeansBeansBeans
7th October 2007, 18:52
He's a great development driver, but his performances in 2007 (particularly in qualifying) have not been up to scratch, and I think he's honest enough to realise that. I'll miss him, because he's a genuinely likeable and honest man, with a wicked sense of humour.

Oli_M
7th October 2007, 18:55
Seems like he is a great test driver and massively consistent. Unfortunately that consistency hasn't led him to many good race results.

Hopefully he stays as a tester I'm sure he would be welcomed in that role at most of the teams. But he has at least proved if you really are dedicated to F1, and want to race that badly, sticking around as a competent tester can get you back into a race seat.

Jag_Warrior
7th October 2007, 19:03
Very likeable fellow. Maybe too nice and too likeable. He still has skills, so hopefully he still has a future in racing. Sports cars possibly?

FIA
7th October 2007, 19:41
I think Alex should have a year in DTM.

BDunnell
7th October 2007, 22:10
I don't think he ever fulfilled his full potential, as shown in those early outings for Benetton when he subbed for Berger. It's a shame, because he was obviously one of the better people in F1. The idea of him having a future role in F1 in some way is an intriguing one.

gm99
7th October 2007, 22:36
The only person I ever heard say a bad word about Wurz was, oddly enough, his illustrious compatriot Nikki Lauda.

Well, Niki is still of the opinion that he (and maybe Jochen Rindt) are the only Austrians who ever knew how to drive a race car.

And Gerhard Berger has never veiled his obvious dislike for the driver who replaced him at Benetton - I remember that when Berger was still BMW director of motorsports, they asked him if he would offer a drive to Wurz and he replied "Nah, I'd rather get back into the cockpit myself".

Overall, it seems that Wurz was held in far better esteem by the F1 community than he ever was in Austria - he had a hard time taking on the legacy of the hugely popular Berger and quite a few people took delight in his downfall at Benetton. It has to be said that in the beginning, around 1997 and '98, Wurz and especially his then manager did display a rather arrogant attitude, but he was rather young at that time and I think he has matured quite a bit since then and he really is a likeable person these days.

As to his driving, I'm really amazed he doesn't manage to handle qualifying at all this season. In the first part of the 1998 season, he would usually outqualify his team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella, who at that time was considered one of the fastest men in F1, on a regular basis, only to fall back in the race. This year, Wurz races pretty well, but when you're down in P15 or worse at the start, it's hard to get into the points.

Right now, Wurz' heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore. I think his goal was to show everyone that you could in fact come back to F1 after spending seven seasons as a test driver, and that he did in great style, with a podium finish in Canada (incidentally, he now has three podium finished for three different teams). According to Austrian news reports, he wanted to retire right after Montrčal to go out on a high, but agreed to see out the season in favour of Williams.

I could well see him in some administrative role in F1 in the future.

Ranger
7th October 2007, 22:42
Nice guy, but this was the right decision IMO.

jens
8th October 2007, 09:36
As you discuss about Alex's future, then probably he will continue to be Williams test driver.

Btw, if I remember correctly, he admitted before the Canadian Grand Prix that Rosberg had been simply better than him. And as it has turned out, he decided to retire about the same time. Maybe he realized then that he won't have a shiny future in F1 anyway?

Alex had a great first half of the 1998 season and at that time there were even speculations that he might become Schumacher's team-mate at Ferrari! For some reason, his performances started deteriorating. Even a bit strange to think now that back in 1998 the Benetton drivers were hailed as future champions, but how deep have they fallen by now...

BDunnell
8th October 2007, 10:19
Btw, if I remember correctly, he admitted before the Canadian Grand Prix that Rosberg had been simply better than him. And as it has turned out, he decided to retire about the same time. Maybe he realized then that he won't have a shiny future in F1 anyway?

I think this makes him come out of this season well, almost despite his poor results. It shows a good level of self-perception.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2007, 16:47
Alex Wurz has confirmed he is retiring from Formula One racing, as revealed yesterday by autosport.com, and the Austrian will not even take part in the Brazilian Grand Prix.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63165

Buzz Lightyear
8th October 2007, 16:51
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63165

strange..

Caroline
8th October 2007, 17:19
Bit of an odd way to end the season, but I guess he has his reasons. I always liked Wurz. Flying through the air in Canada, tackling Schumi in Monaco and a podium in the British GP so early in his career....I always thought he was going to do more on the track.

Flat.tyres
8th October 2007, 17:31
He's a great development driver, but his performances in 2007 (particularly in qualifying) have not been up to scratch, and I think he's honest enough to realise that. I'll miss him, because he's a genuinely likeable and honest man, with a wicked sense of humour.

That summs it up for me as well.

Never going to be quite good enough but a nice bloke and I'm sure his experience in the support will ensure he continues in some other capacity.

F1boat
8th October 2007, 17:36
Alex is a very nice driver. I'll miss him.

OmarF1
8th October 2007, 17:57
Isn't it great? a very nice and likeable guy who decides when to retire, admits that his teammate was faster than him, and still no regrets, it shows that F1 was just a part of his life not the whole of it, good luck Alex, good luck on anything to come

Malbec
8th October 2007, 18:16
I wonder if his choice to retire has anything to do with his newborn baby. Maybe his wife is pressuring him to come home or maybe he just wants to spend more time with his family...

I was just thinking that. Some drivers don't change that much when they have kids, others can't see the point in continuing any more.

Honest and nice are words that keep popping up in this thread and I couldn't agree more. Even though he wasn't quite as quick as Rosberg this season especially in quali I'll always remember writing him off at Montreal this year when his rear wing got shredded then eating my words as he went on to score a podium. Wish him all the best for the future.

jonny hurlock
8th October 2007, 18:44
maybe he should do the finally imo, if they are going to replace him for the last race give to Kazuki Nakajima, but maybe wurz help williams to finish 4th in the constroctors championship against red bull

stevie_gerrard
8th October 2007, 19:32
He's contributed a lot to F1, he will be missed indeed. Be interesting to see who replaces him for Brazil though.

Crypt
8th October 2007, 19:57
Salute Wurz, sad to see ya go.

Perhaps he just felt more at home developing the cars. I think maybe the pressures of racing and family were a pre-occupation for him. F1 is in his blood and there will always be something for him to do in F1. Any team would be lucky to have him.

rohanweb
8th October 2007, 21:02
hats off & sorry to see to alex go..his ability to develop & test F1 cars is verymuch intact. he has been a great asset to teams across and helped to cover for other drivers!!! I believe his family needs him at the moment and he will surely be welcomed by many teams across the pits... certainly he wasnt the best driver on track but as Sir Frank williams sais Wurz is a gerntleman!!
all the best to him & his family!

wmcot
8th October 2007, 21:54
I could well see him in some administrative role in F1 in the future.

Like Max's job, for instance?? :)

jens
8th October 2007, 22:49
A bit sad that he is not going to race at Interlagos. :( Would have finished his career properly. In China the spectators even didn't know that this was his last race in F1...

About the possible replacement - most likely Kazuki Nakajima. At the end of last year BMW decided to replace Villeneuve with a young rising star before the end of the year. Maybe Frank has something similar in his mind? Give the rookie at least one experience before his (possible) first full season in 2008.

longisland
9th October 2007, 02:42
Maybe We'll see him in DTM or WTCC. There's always life after F1.

Mikeall
9th October 2007, 03:03
Maybe a future FIA President. He's already presented road safety for the UN for the FIA and everyone seems to liek and respect him.

Rudy Tamasz
9th October 2007, 08:56
Good bye Alex and hello Alex! There's life after F1. Good luck with your future career!

gm99
9th October 2007, 09:14
Like Max's job, for instance?? :)

Maybe a future FIA President. He's already presented road safety for the UN for the FIA and everyone seems to liek and respect him.

Like I wrote in the "Who will replace Max" thread, I think Wurz is too young at this point to become FIA President, but at some stage in the future, he would be an excellent choice IMO.