PDA

View Full Version : VXRacing Boss Wants BTCC To Go Bio-Ethanol

Captain VXR
31st December 2006, 22:42
http://crashnet.cars.msn.co.uk/news_View.asp?cid=10&id=141596
Maybe the Vectras next year will be bio-ethanol :up: like some BMWs and Volvos that wil contest next year's STCC with possibly some WTCC rounds too.

BDunnell
31st December 2006, 23:50
It makes a lot of sense, though it would be wrong to see bio-ethanol fuel as some sort of panacea when it comes to making motorsport more environmentally friendly.

Subaru WRX
1st January 2007, 11:33
why bio-ethanol for the btcc, is vauxhall being scared from the s2000 formula or what ?

bt52b
1st January 2007, 12:23
Whatever it is, there should be only one fuel, and probably only one transmission layout too!

reidy_fan
1st January 2007, 14:02
can agree with what Ian is saying there but it is up to Alan Gow to make the rules as to what the teams run plus if the BTCC went fully Bio-ethanol it would scupper Rick Kerry's plan to run diesel. I reckon that you will see most teams using bio next year due to the EEMs grants and the fact it delivers better performance than petrol anyway

acorn
1st January 2007, 14:23
i'm sure this won't be a problem due to the btcc's sprint race format but does everyone run the same (maximum)capacity fuel tank?
while bio produces more power you also need to use more. are the races formatted to enable a specific max fuel load to complete it or can you take on as much fuel as your car needs and your tank will hold?

Captain VXR
1st January 2007, 14:55
can agree with what Ian is saying there but it is up to Alan Gow to make the rules as to what the teams run plus if the BTCC went fully Bio-ethanol it would scupper Rick Kerry's plan to run diesel. I reckon that you will see most teams using bio next year due to the EEMs grants and the fact it delivers better performance than petrol anyway

The BTCC could go bio-fuel only - with Rick Kerry using bio-diesel and the rest using LPG, CNG or bio-ethanol.

reidy_fan
1st January 2007, 15:39
good shout captain VXR bio diesel that is enviromentally friendly (used chip fat isnt it??)

Alfa Fan
1st January 2007, 17:23
I believe that Rick Kerry is looking at running it on bio-diesel. Don't know if anyone knows if that is the case?

btracer
1st January 2007, 19:28
i don't think a straight swap over is a good idea, bring it in slowly. The cars are about even (Petrol Vs Ethanol) but some of the smaller teams can't afford the change over. Its all good and well Vauxhall wanting the whole championship to change over but its not really viable for everyone to do it.

Hazell B
1st January 2007, 20:19
used chip fat isnt it??

It's any veg based oil mixed with some of the normal diesel chemicals I think. Simply a bit less nasty on the environment and a bit better for those who farm suitable materials (loads of crops can be used in theory).

Only those tightwads who make it in their garage use old chip fat :p :

Alfa Fan
1st January 2007, 20:59
Running on bioethanol is cheaper in the long-run than petrol. You say it would be a problem for some of the smaller teams, yet Jason Hughes & Richard Marsh both successfully adapted there cars during this season.

Hazell B
1st January 2007, 21:04
Not so sure there is a 'long run' when you're taking about racing cars, though :p :

On the roads it's cheaper eventually - I used LPG for two years and it paid for itself (just) - but racing cars don't travel so many miles and last so long.