PDA

View Full Version : Ahh Bernie...

Ranger
6th October 2007, 08:28
He's now hailing Hamilton as the "saviour" of F1, and fears other drivers winning the title.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63055

"It is painfully obvious to me that the right guy to be world champion is Lewis," said Ecclestone.

"In fact, my main fear would be if he didn't win it. Kimi Raikkonen barely talks to anyone and as such has done little for the sport, and as for Fernando Alonso, in his two years as world champion he has done nothing."

Translatable as:
"Your results and titles mean nothing to me unless I make a buck out of it"

Ahh Bernie..

Ari
6th October 2007, 08:30
About time Bernie came out public with his love affair with Hamilton.

Just kinda disgusts me that the incident with Vettel and Webber is shoved backwards and aside so that Bernie can get his love child a World Drives Championship.

Honestly, it's absurd.

Dave B
6th October 2007, 08:31
In fairness to Alonso, it was known well in advance that he was to switch teams and therefore Renault didn't milk publicity out of his championship in the way we've become used to.

That said, I'm sure that a Hamilton championship would be good for F1. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny that he's had more than his share of column inches this year, and that's always good for business.

Edit: PS: Can we please have just one thread that doesn't revert to discussing Fuji? :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
6th October 2007, 08:44
Personally, I think Kimi has a better personality than Lewis.

Good to see Bernie sees F1 as a sport...

Ari
6th October 2007, 08:48
Edit: PS: Can we please have just one thread that doesn't revert to discussing Fuji? :rolleyes:

Point taken..... my bad!

CaptainRaiden
6th October 2007, 09:17

I agree, not because I'm a fan of Kimi. I have to say that at the beginning of the year, I was becoming a big fan of Hamilton, but throughout the course of the year, I've grown to dislike him. Firstly, we all know that he is good, and he knows it too, and there is nothing wrong in being confident and strong, but the guy comes off as being arrogant and not having an inch of humility in him.

Secondly, both his and Alonso's constant bickering throughout the season has irritated fans all over the world I'm sure. And what the **** is up with him crying again and hinting towards walking away from the sport because of the Vettel-Webber incident?

Hamilton, Alonso and Massa, all three have proved to be big crybabies this year. The only guy who gets in the car and does the goddamn job of driving without crying bloody mary is infact Kimi. He is a pure racing driver, detached from the whole politics and bull**** that goes on in Formula 1 these days.

I fail to see what Bernie is going on about Hamilton "resurrecting" Formula 1? Understood, that he boosted ticket sales for the British GP, from which Bernie obviously benefited, but what about the rest of the world? I still see more Alonso and Kimi fans in the grandstands.

truefan72
6th October 2007, 09:34
Bernies comments are out of line and just continue to show why he and Mad Max need to leave ASAP.

He should just go back to counting his money, managing a 2nd division team and leave the pontificating to the pundits.

He and mad max have done more harm to F1 than any lack of perosnalites by drivers.

Valve Bounce
6th October 2007, 11:18
Bad mouth Bernie for all it's worth - but don't blame Lewis Hamilton for what Bernie says.

tinchote
6th October 2007, 11:42
Translatable as:

Ahh Bernie..

And what's wrong with that? Those of us who were watching GPs before he was in charge can attest to the job he has done. His role in F1 has been commercial for more than 25 years now; so, obviously, he cares about the money-making. And he has been exceptionally good at that, and made many in the paddock millonaires in the process.

And I agree that Kimi is a great driver, but just imagine a podium and press-conference with three Kimis :eek:

F1MAN2007
6th October 2007, 12:04
Just Bernie confirmed what one driver said one day that: "F1 is business 7/7 and 24/24, it is only a sport 2 hours on sunday"!

markabilly
6th October 2007, 13:19
So what is new about this??

He has been saying this for months

It was rigged from the start, all about the money :vader:

markabilly
6th October 2007, 13:25

depends---Is F1 to put on a show like "pro werssltin" or is still about racing--Kimi's personality is a throwback to days of old, people like Clark and Gurney, even Gilles......

Buzz Lightyear
6th October 2007, 13:32
I agree, not because I'm a fan of Kimi. I have to say that at the beginning of the year, I was becoming a big fan of Hamilton, but throughout the course of the year, I've grown to dislike him. Firstly, we all know that he is good, and he knows it too, and there is nothing wrong in being confident and strong, but the guy comes off as being arrogant and not having an inch of humility in him.

Secondly, both his and Alonso's constant bickering throughout the season has irritated fans all over the world I'm sure. And what the **** is up with him crying again and hinting towards walking away from the sport because of the Vettel-Webber incident?

Hamilton, Alonso and Massa, all three have proved to be big crybabies this year. The only guy who gets in the car and does the goddamn job of driving without crying bloody mary is infact Kimi. He is a pure racing driver, detached from the whole politics and bull**** that goes on in Formula 1 these days.

I fail to see what Bernie is going on about Hamilton "resurrecting" Formula 1? Understood, that he boosted ticket sales for the British GP, from which Bernie obviously benefited, but what about the rest of the world? I still see more Alonso and Kimi fans in the grandstands.

Arrogant, yes. Why not. He is that good.

You would have to agree that Alonso has contributed most to his situation... Trying to blackmail RD... Demanding No.1, not talking to team, holding his team mate in pit lane... yapping to the press.

And all of this has been created by LH? Good for F1, yes. Make money for F1, yes. Bernie happy, yes. Whats the problem?

Bernie does not talk crap. He tells it like it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ranger
6th October 2007, 13:38
He also talks about the fact that Lewis would undertake "responsibilities" as World Champion that Fernando and Kimi do not. Yes, he has made F1 profitable and more successful, for which he is to be commended, but he is also a nob, this quote being another case in point. JMO.

Mikeall
6th October 2007, 13:58

I totally agree. When Hamilton complains about politics etc, he is actually becoming part of it and fanning the flames of that perception which reflects badly on F1.

jas123f1
6th October 2007, 16:02
So - now we know that Hamilton is F1's new big hero - however for Bernie :hmh: .

He has never seen ANYONE like LH - newer :=) .. ok he still remember some one with name Michael Schumacher probably because Schumi’s younger brother still is driving in F1 .. but all others Bernie has forgotten Senna, Prost, Mika only to take some of them?
Ok - It's possible Bernie is just getting too old to remember ... but even drivers from last Sunday is only rubbish (except Lewis of cause) - Alonso 2xWDC is not god guy any more and not Kimi either.

However - now i start to understand why a teem can keep all their driver points and same time get a 100’000’000 dollars to pay (the biggest fee in the history) and loos all their constructions points. It’s because Kimi is talking too little …

:)
I must say i'm happy that Bernie is happily married other way would his life can be very difficult - in case that Hamilton doesn't be that good he thinks he is.

Seriously:
Bernie make a couple of billions dollar every year because the team and drivers and now he is speaking b*** s*** .. but as i said he is getting old .. :)

markabilly
6th October 2007, 17:04
So - now we know that Hamilton is F1's new big hero - however for Bernie :hmh: .

He has never seen ANYONE like LH - newer :=) .. ok he still remember some one with name Michael Schumacher probably because Schumi’s younger brother still is driving in F1 .. but all others Bernie has forgotten Senna, Prost, Mika only to take some of them?
Ok - It's possible Bernie is just getting too old to remember ... but even drivers from last Sunday is only rubbish (except Lewis of cause) - Alonso 2xWDC is not god guy any more and not Kimi either.

However - now i start to understand why a teem can keep all their driver points and same time get a 100’000’000 dollars to pay (the biggest fee in the history) and loos all their constructions points. It’s because Kimi is talking too little …

:)
I must say i'm happy that Bernie is happily married other way would his life can be very difficult - in case that Hamilton doesn't be that good he thinks he is.

Seriously:
Bernie make a couple of billions dollar every year because the team and drivers and now he is speaking b*** s*** .. but as i said he is getting old .. :)

Not too old, just too greedy, as you almost got it right on this when you say:

He does not see those names making him money NOW as much as golden boy will he prays :D

BDunnell
6th October 2007, 17:06
PS: Can we please have just one thread that doesn't revert to discussing Fuji? :rolleyes:

Or, indeed, to the same conspiracy theories being trotted out time and time again. They are getting increasingly absurd and tiresome.

It's not a question of wanting to stifle debate, by the way, but there are limits in terms of what are sensible opinions and what are not.

Juppe
6th October 2007, 18:59
I don't think this thread is about Lewis, but Bernie.

I do not understand his dislike for Kimi or Alonso, though. Alonso has increased popularity of F1 in Spanish speaking world, so that should be good for Bernie's businesses.

Kimi, on the other hand, comes from a small market (Finland), but is still immensely popular around the world. Last year he was the second most popular driver to Michael and he may be at the moment the most popular driver.

They all have different personalities and that should appeal to different kinds of people, so I really cannot understand what Bernie is going on about.

It is besides the point, but I must agree that this season Kimi has appeared as the most likable of the top drivers, because he has refused to play political games or bash his fellow drivers. Even before the McLaren verdict Kimi said that he'd rather win the WDC on track than via court.

It was nice to see Kimi congratulate Heikki after his succesful defence at Fuji. Even though he needed the addiotional points he hold no grudge for Heikki doing a good job and keeping Kimi behind. I have understood from comments by F1-insiders that Kimi is very well liked at Ferrari.

It would be nice if the leaders of F1 kept themselves from taking sides. It would all seem a lot more fair game that way.

yodasarmpit
6th October 2007, 19:33
I can could see his point about Kimi, that was until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku57JZqZ9So :)

SGWilko
6th October 2007, 20:01

Sorry, did you actually suggest that, when sober, Kimi actually has a personality?! ;)

Kimi is the Finish version of Mansell. A real stunner in the car, but boring as f**k out of it.....

I do like Kimi though. He is not a bighead, and just gets on with it - never heard him complain actually.....

I also like Lewis. He IS deffo something very special. He is uber confident, but hey, he has telent ousing out of his pores so deserves to be a bit 'cock sure'

71minus2
6th October 2007, 20:30
proof if any was needed to show that

1. Bernie is a tw@t
2. F1 is nothing more than WWE on wheels.

aryan
6th October 2007, 20:42
Sorry, did you actually suggest that, when sober, Kimi actually has a personality?! ;)

Kimi is the Finish version of Mansell. A real stunner in the car, but boring as f**k out of it.....

Actually people who know him well, or speak Finish claim that he does have a very interesting character and a very dry sense of humour. It just doesn't translate that well to English.

Back to Bernie, and I think this was the most undiplomatic thing I have heard Bernie say in a long time. But hey... they guy is entitled to his opinion, like eveyone else, isn't he?

BDunnell
6th October 2007, 20:44
Back to Bernie, and I think this was the most undiplomatic thing I have heard Bernie say in a long time. But hey... they guy is entitled to his opinion, like eveyone else, isn't he?

Neither is it the first time he has offered an opinion on what he wants to happen in the championship — although I do agree that, maybe, now isn't the best time for him to do so.

ioan
6th October 2007, 20:51
He's now hailing Hamilton as the "saviour" of F1, and fears other drivers winning the title.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63055

Translatable as:

Ahh Bernie..

Well, at least he proves what I was thinking.

Easy Drifter
6th October 2007, 21:35
Wether we like Bernie or not he is the one that has turned F1 into the mega buck super extravaganza it is now. It probably would have progressed from where it was but Bernie has been the catalyst and the main brains. Don't forget he started with nothing except a great ability as a used car salesman, which may explain a few things. Reputed involvement with a certain Royal Mail train might have helped too.
As a couple of examples I was in two F1 factories in the mid 70's. March was in an industrial estate and occupied several buildings but they also housed all the production cars. At the end of the F1 season the F1 (and F2) mechanics were fired and hired back as production workers at a lower salary until needed for the next year. Part of the reason March customer cars were delivered with missing parts and poor assembly. They didn't care.
Then I was in Ensign. A WW2 Quonset hut with spray insulation on the walls. The winter team was Mo Nunn and two mechanics/fabricators. I believe there were a couple of part timers.
What has the smallest team got now? 300+?
Sponsorship was negligble and so was TV.
I usually had to wait for my air mail sub. to Autosport to arrive a week or two later to find out who won. Just a tech different now. :p :

markabilly
6th October 2007, 23:05
Wether we like Bernie or not he is the one that has turned F1 into the mega buck super extravaganza it is now. It probably would have progressed from where it was but Bernie has been the catalyst and the main brains. Don't forget he started with nothing except a great ability as a used car salesman, which may explain a few things. Reputed involvement with a certain Royal Mail train might have helped too.
As a couple of examples I was in two F1 factories in the mid 70's. March was in an industrial estate and occupied several buildings but they also housed all the production cars. At the end of the F1 season the F1 (and F2) mechanics were fired and hired back as production workers at a lower salary until needed for the next year. Part of the reason March customer cars were delivered with missing parts and poor assembly. They didn't care.
Then I was in Ensign. A WW2 Quonset hut with spray insulation on the walls. The winter team was Mo Nunn and two mechanics/fabricators. I believe there were a couple of part timers.
What has the smallest team got now? 300+?
Sponsorship was negligble and so was TV.
I usually had to wait for my air mail sub. to Autosport to arrive a week or two later to find out who won. Just a tech different now. :p :

Much earleir, I had to wait on a subscription from road and track, (whatever happenned to that guy? i think he was henry manning or something like that) then I discovered car and driver was much quicker with results but not much content...when it was not on the old wide world of sports about two weeks after the race was over!!!...geez I thought i was the oldest old fart around here, but i guess i was wrong...

Tazio
9th October 2007, 08:12
By the way Both FA and Kimi had a response to Bernie's comments

GMM) Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen have dismissed Bernie Ecclestone's claim that Lewis Hamilton would make a better world champion.

F1's chief executive said last weekend that Alonso has "done nothing" for the sport since winning back to back titles in 2005 and 2006.

Fellow championship contender Kimi Raikkonen, he added, "barely talks to anyone".

"Everyone has their opinion," Spaniard Alonso said after Sunday's Chinese grand prix.

"I try to be professional. I don't know what I have to do.

"I have a contract to drive the car and be with the sponsors, which is normal, so I try to do both things at the same time and that's all."

Alonso pointed out that one tangible influence of his success on formula one has been the burst of interest in the sport within his native Spain.

"I'm very proud of this," he added, "and I will try to do my best and maybe change his opinion."

Finn Raikkonen's response, on the other hand, was predictably true to form.

"I don't really care too much what people say about me," the Ferrari driver said.

Got to love the Finn.
You can't argue the fact that FA has increased f1 interest in Spain.
Don't think Bernie isn't aware of that. I'm glad fred reminded him about all those paying customer$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 08:49
IMHO The more interesting parts of Bernie's comments are these:

"Lewis Hamilton has been a real breath of fresh air and has resurrected Formula One. I have been in motor racing longer than I care to remember, but I have never seen anyone like him. He has been nothing short of a miracle worker. We lost a big hero in Michael Schumacher but in Lewis we have another. But for him, I'm not sure where the sport would be heading."
Bernie's main area of responsibility is the commercial aspects of F1, and there can be little doubt that he has made F1 one of the most commercially successful sports on the planet. His comments should be seen in that context.

The driver who becomes WDC represents F1 to the world for a year, and from what I've read it's true that Alonso has done little in that respect. I don't believe a WDC is contractually obliged to be F1's "ambassador" as such, but the title does come with some responsibility.

By contrast, for example, the man who is a "certified halfwit" according to Max Mosley remains F1's finest ambassador almost 35yrs after he last won a title.

Bernie's right that Lewis Hamilton would do more for F1 than either of the other title contenders. That's the commercial reality. That's not to say he is a better or more deserving champion, or a better driver, or is being favoured by Bernie or the FIA, just that he is the kind of character who would have a bigger impact outside of F1, and who is probably more aware of, and receptive to, the commercial aspect of the sport.

wmcot
9th October 2007, 08:56
Yes, he has made F1 profitable and more successful,

...For SOME...

What has Bernie done for the average fan? He's screwed or tried to screw the US, British, Belgian, and French fans (and half the German fans.) He's been great for the "average fan" in Singapore, China, Bahrain, Dubai and Malaysia. Of course the "average fan" in those countries has mega-bucks in his pockets!

Yes, Bernie's made some rich people in the paddock, but I think that's only an unintentional, side-effect of making himself VERY RICH!

Tazio
9th October 2007, 09:35

Bernie's main area of responsibility is the commercial aspects of F1, and there can be little doubt that he has made F1 one of the most commercially successful sports on the planet. His comments should be seen in that context.

The driver who becomes WDC represents F1 to the world for a year, and from what I've read it's true that Alonso has done little in that respect. I don't believe a WDC is contractually obliged to be F1's "ambassador" as such, but the title does come with some responsibility.

By contrast, for example, the man who is a "certified halfwit" according to Max Mosley remains F1's finest ambassador almost 35yrs after he last won a title.

Bernie's right that Lewis Hamilton would do more for F1 than either of the other title contenders. That's the commercial reality. That's not to say he is a better or more deserving champion, or a better driver, or is being favoured by Bernie or the FIA, just that he is the kind of character who would have a bigger impact outside of F1, and who is probably more aware of, and receptive to, the commercial aspect of the sport.
These guys are racers. The best open wheel racers in the world. The object of this competition is to win. You win by scoring the most points. That's their job. What's Bernie going to say next Kimi is over paid. What a load of huey. If he has a personal afinity for Hamilton fine. There will always be f1. Believe it or not. It's this knukleheads position to be a little less partial imo. He's become part of an extrordinary hype, that from what I can tell is even starting to pi$$ alot of Brit's off. I disagree that the champ is the ambassador of the sport. You got your f1 fans, and you have people that don't give a S*!t about it. I'm sick of this blowhard telling me whats good for f1. Good exciting races in extrordinary race cars is what makes f1 great. I don't give a cr@p about this comercial rationalization, PC BS!

ioan
9th October 2007, 09:38
Bernie's main area of responsibility is the commercial aspects of F1, and there can be little doubt that he has made F1 one of the most commercially successful sports on the planet.

I would replace "sports" with "show" a la WWF.

Question is why has the commercial rights holder a place in the World MotorSport Council? Why does he have the right to interfere with sporting code decisions? To protect his income?! That has noting to do with the sporting aspects.

There is a conflict of interests there and that alone is bringing the SPORT down and has transformed it into a SHOW that is directed by Bernie.

AndyRAC
9th October 2007, 09:51
Some good points raised here. Yes, Bernie has done a lot of good for F1, making it more professional, better promoted, etc. However, I feel he has got carried away with the money making, which has taken over the sporting part of F1. Which countries get awarded races shouldn't be up to him, it should be up to the FIA, then after they've been awarded he should use all his skill to promote them. It should be the best drivers on the best circuits, that show cars and drivers in their best light. Not who pays the most money to get a race, i;e Middle/Far East races were 2 men/dog attend. Also the average fan can no longer wander around the pit/paddock area, except the vacuous VIPs who mostly haven't a clue.
I really despair at F1 now, Bernie has far too much influence, so what if FA or KR wins the title? They'll have earned it, tough if they don't wish to promote the sport and fill Bernie's pockets later on,...
Mad Max and Bernie, aaaggghhh, killing the sport, but not the business! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 09:55

Commercially speaking I think Bernie is right. Lewis has reinvigorated the sport and brought it to a whole new global audience.

Like it or not, Lewis's skin colour also adds to his appeal. It is unfortunate that there are not that many black people in Motorsport and there is no doubt that Lewis's contribution has raised the awareness of Motorsport in the black communities as Tiger Woods has for Golf.

Personally, I think Lewis would be a great champion and will become the new cornerstone of F1 that others will be measured by. I hope he lives up to that mantle and learns from this year that the best way to set an example is by doing what he has on track and ignoring the politics behind the scene.

Now, as far as Kimi goes, I agree that he will not do much commercially for the global sport but is the one I would most like to go out for a beer with and would quite like if he wins it if Lewis doesn't.

As for Alonso. I wont bother commenting.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 10:00
These guys are racers. The best open wheel racers in the world. The object of this competition is to win. You win by scoring the most points. That's their job.
Absolutely right :up: and I think that's as far as it goes for many of them. Bernie's point is that there is a wider responsibility that they can take advantage of, and F1 can benefit from.

Certain sportspeople are known to the world as a whole, and not just in their own sport. There are "stand-out" names that represent a particular sport, and many have done so for years or even decades. Ali, Woods, Borg, Pele, Bradman are all such names.

Of course not all sportspeople are interested in that level of "fame", or any level of "fame" at all. Their focus is their career, their performance and their results. For some this level of "fame" comes whether they want it or not.

In F1 terms many drivers simply want to race, win, go home. Contractual obligations to sponsors apart, that's all they want to do. There are others who want that as well but accept that wider obligations to fans, sponsors and the sport do exist. As F1 commercial rights holder Bernie is more interested in the latter. That's all.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 10:22
Absolutely right :up: and I think that's as far as it goes for many of them. Bernie's point is that there is a wider responsibility that they can take advantage of, and F1 can benefit from.

Certain sportspeople are known to the world as a whole, and not just in their own sport. There are "stand-out" names that represent a particular sport, and many have done so for years or even decades. Ali, Woods, Borg, Pele, Bradman are all such names.

Of course not all sportspeople are interested in that level of "fame", or any level of "fame" at all. Their focus is their career, their performance and their results. For some this level of "fame" comes whether they want it or not.

In F1 terms many drivers simply want to race, win, go home. Contractual obligations to sponsors apart, that's all they want to do. There are others who want that as well but accept that wider obligations to fans, sponsors and the sport do exist. As F1 commercial rights holder Bernie is more interested in the latter. That's all.
I can't argue with that.
The thing that seems to be lost in this disscussion is it would take the competitive edge off alot of athletes if they felt dutybound to interact in such a mannor. I doubt if LH will be able to keep this persona for long. He's still very young, It will become increasingly harder to maitain this public image
when times are not so peachy. Thats not a knock on him. After he has a couple seasons under his belt we will see a slightly different attitude.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 11:29
The thing that seems to be lost in this disscussion is it would take the competitive edge off alot of athletes if they felt dutybound to interact in such a mannor. I doubt if LH will be able to keep this persona for long. He's still very young, It will become increasingly harder to maitain this public image
when times are not so peachy. Thats not a knock on him. After he has a couple seasons under his belt we will see a slightly different attitude.
You're right. We often hear newcomers say they won't change, but change is inevitable. Success, money and fame are all bound to have their impact on Hamilton whether he likes it or not. It's how he reacts to them that matters.

F1boat
9th October 2007, 11:52
proof if any was needed to show that

1. Bernie is a tw@t
2. F1 is nothing more than WWE on wheels.

Yeah, I agree. If Lewis wasn't British, black-skinned and rookie, I don't think that FIA would have tolerated him that much.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 12:04
Yeah, I agree. If Lewis wasn't British, black-skinned and rookie, I don't think that FIA would have tolerated him that much.
Tolerated WHAT exactly :confused: :rolleyes:

Hawkmoon
9th October 2007, 12:20
I think Bernie's giving too much credit to Hamilton and not enough to Raikkonen. How much of a fan base does Hamilton have outside of the UK? I figure it's pretty small in Spain, Germany, Finland and Brazil.

Kimi on the other hand, by the simple fact that he drives for Ferrari, has a fan base that will span the globe. Ferrari are the only team in F1 that has a huge and persistant following. Ferrari drivers automatically get the support of Ferrari fans.

I'm willing to bet that Raikkonen winning the title for Ferrari will have more impact around the world than Hamilton winning for McLaren.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 12:38
I think Bernie's giving too much credit to Hamilton and not enough to Raikkonen. How much of a fan base does Hamilton have outside of the UK? I figure it's pretty small in Spain, Germany, Finland and Brazil.

Kimi on the other hand, by the simple fact that he drives for Ferrari, has a fan base that will span the globe. Ferrari are the only team in F1 that has a huge and persistant following. Ferrari drivers automatically get the support of Ferrari fans.

I'm willing to bet that Raikkonen winning the title for Ferrari will have more impact around the world than Hamilton winning for McLaren.
you know thats a d@mn good point. I always admired Kimi, but I wasn't a fan(yes I admit it) untill he joined Ferrari. I think alot more people admire him for his quiet but determined demeanor(and the fact that he is driving a Ferrari) than he's given credit for. Of course a lot of diehard fans favor Kimi despite, and before he drove a Ferrari.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 12:53
You're probably right, but how much awareness was there of Tiger Woods (for example) outside of the US before he won his first PGA tour event, or first Major? Those wins were the catalyst for Woods 'going global' and going beyond 'just' being a successful golfer.

True, Ferrari have a huge fan base, and not just among F1 fans. However, Raikkonen would be 'just' another Ferrari World Champion, and following on from the years of Schumacher dominance, that in itself would not be a particularly earth shattering event.

Hamilton winning the title as a rookie would not only break records in F1, but would also have long term implications globally. I can't see a Kimi title having anything like the same effect. but as I'm not a betting man I won't take the bet ;)

Oli_M
9th October 2007, 13:20
F1 IS NOT a sport as much as everyone wishes it was. Its a business, where the major output is companies producing cars that drive very fast around a track. Bernie's job is to SELL and PROMOTE this business. He must be doing something right since so many places are willing to put up an awful lot of money to host races.

He wants his drivers and teams to be "sellable" to fans - and I would expect this years season has (easily?) been the most profitable for him so far, and I would expect he wants that to continue!

F1MAN2007
9th October 2007, 13:26
The picture says itself!!

http://www.f1-zeropoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ecclestonehamilton.jpg

F1MAN2007
9th October 2007, 13:38
And this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/2007/09/29/smgars129.jpg

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:29
I fail to see how The Golden Boy has more persona than Alonso or Kimi. He is a great politician though, and has that smile he never stops displaying, when he is on camera obviously. But you want personality, you say Eddie Irvine. Golden Boy is nothing special in that regard.

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 14:33
But you want personality, you say Eddie Irvine.

Just goes to show that one man's personality is another man's tiresome bore.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:36
Just goes to show that one man's personality is another man's tiresome bore.

Eddie had a great sense of humour and was into pranks. And he was a ladies man. I can only show respect for the man who shares my views and interests.

I can`t see how women and humour can be a bore to anyone, but maybe thats me :)

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:39
Eddie had a great sense of humour and was into pranks.

And his best prank of all, failing to win the WDC even with Schumi's assistance.
:p :

Ranger
9th October 2007, 14:41
And his best prank of all, failing to win the WDC even with Schumi's assistance.
:p :Ouch! :p :

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 14:43

:laugh: Very good.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:51

A similarity he will share with The Golden Boy in 2 weeks, but in Golden Boys case it was the FIA providing the assistance :D

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 14:52
A similarity he will share with The Golden Boy in 2 weeks, but in Golden Boys case it was the FIA providing the assistance :D

Evidence?

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:56

:crazy:

ioan
9th October 2007, 15:03
I fail to see how The Golden Boy has more persona than Alonso or Kimi. He is a great politician though, and has that smile he never stops displaying, when he is on camera obviously. But you want personality, you say Eddie Irvine. Golden Boy is nothing special in that regard.

Have to agree with that.
Eddie has one helluva personality!
Hamilton is at an age when he's yet to discover his.

OmarF1
9th October 2007, 15:27
A pitty for Bernard to say that. I believe that Hamilton is Indeed very talented, but I would like to see him come to F1 in a different way, just a personal feeling you know?,

There are so many factors that have helped him this year, yes he can be the first rookie to win a championship, but he's the first rookie in history that he has mentor and almost step father as his team boss, and not your average team boss, he's the head of McLaren-Mercedes, the all-time second best team ever, with experience, knowledg and a biiiig budget.

Plus you cannot deny that being british helps too, he's in F1, in a sport almost based in England, most engineers are british, most of the specialized press comes from the UK too, so England plays a huge-ass role in F1. That's the reason the media creates such hype about him, if you add that he's very young, black and easy on the eye to the ladies. The hype it is justified but not necessarily good, I really hope that Lewis proves something more, McLaren hasn't always been THIS good in reliability and speed, remember 2006. Lewis can't expect to be on top always, not even Schumy was, let's hope his reactions and speeches match his talent in the bad times, because trust me, everybody has their own highs and lows that's just life.

Maybe switching teams for him wouldn't be too bad either, a team where he's not a member of the family, just an employee where he has to earn respect by racing and winning not by being friends with the boss and knowing everybody for 10 years, he has had it easy, but maybe he needs a taste of the real world of racing drivers. Who knows?

And remember these days it ain't all about the driver, yes Hamilton, Alonso and Kimi are good but they drive McLaren and Ferrari cars not Spykers or Hondas, sadly. there are no Gilles Villeneuves anymore...

Tazio
9th October 2007, 18:00
I've been watching F1 since the late sixties. It's always been a sport attended by the rich and famous. Back then we referred to them as "Jet Setters".
It's always been elite, and it's always been the pinnacle.
F1 will not be fazed in the grand scheme of things any more than golf would have suffered if Tiger Woods had taken up tennis.
What have changed are the global economy, and the media
Too much importance is put on perception.
I have every confidence that on a race Sunday I will be able to watch my driver, and team race, with or without Lewis. Those who want to watch Lewis will be able to do so with or without Bernie. When Bernie is gone they will trot out another stuffed shirt. Meanwhile I think it's a lame excuse for someone in his position to be outwardly promoting one driver over another!
JMHO

Tazio
13th October 2007, 13:35
"Ecclestone had said to the Guardian newspaper that Alonso had done nothing for Formula One in the past two years, while Hamilton was a breath of fresh air. Now he has said that the journalists only reported the joke, and that he really considers Alonso to be ‘very important in the work he does’"

They only reported the joke because: 1 you didn't frame the comment as a joke. In fact this is the first time I've heard you say Fernando is ‘very important in the work he does’.
2: If you had said it at the time you made the fresh air comment. Why didn't a single journalist report this alleged comment?
3: You are a lying sack of $h]T
Your attempt at damage control is very, very weak
I put this question to the forum: Is it senility, arrogance, stupidity, greed,
or all the above?

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_13004.shtml

Ari
13th October 2007, 14:28
The picture says itself!!

http://www.f1-zeropoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ecclestonehamilton.jpg

http://www.tvsa.co.za/blogimages/scientologist_girls-of-the-playboy-mansio.jpg

markabilly
13th October 2007, 14:52
http://www.tvsa.co.za/blogimages/scientologist_girls-of-the-playboy-mansio.jpg

So Ari, it was you who stole my family portrait!!!

The next knock you hear will be interpol and the FIA knocking on your door :D

"Ecclestone had said to the Guardian newspaper that Alonso had done nothing for Formula One in the past two years, while Hamilton was a breath of fresh air. Now he has said that the journalists only reported the joke, and that he really considers Alonso to be ‘very important in the work he does’"

They only reported the joke because: 1 you didn't frame the comment as a joke. In fact this is the first time I've heard you say Fernando is ‘very important in the work he does’.
2: If you had said it at the time you made the fresh air comment. Why didn't a single journalist report this alleged comment?
3: You are a lying sack of $h]T
Your attempt at damage control is very, very weak
I put this question to the forum: Is it senility, arrogance, stupidity, greed,
or all the above?

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_13004.shtml

Please add: Freudian slip, B.S., confusing himself with truth and BS, lousy spin doctoring, breaking Godfather's rule about never let anyone outside the family know what you are really thinking (best example of a movie on certain principles for those who do not want to read "the Prince") and thinking everyone is drinking too much Kool aid...........

What was it that bernie's idol, P.T. Barnum said...you can fool some of the people all the time