PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton cleared of any wrong doing

rohanweb
5th October 2007, 16:04
atlast...LH is cleared of doing any punishable wrong doing.. what a day for him and the British fans!!!

I am sure stewards should have learned to punish people who drive close to the cars ahead specially at SC conditions... Vettel was caught sleeping driving well close to webber... !

LH to claim a podium in China and clinch the world title.. ;-)

smokeygp
5th October 2007, 16:11
Sad day for F1 lost many fans as the British turned F1 into another corrupt sport pushing some twit idol beyond everything. How much help is gonna get probably wont know because stopped watching F1 :mad:

ioan
5th October 2007, 16:21
Sad day for F1 lost many fans as the British turned F1 into another corrupt sport pushing some twit idol beyond everything.

Good point there!

Why is that Vettel's 10 place penalty was erased and no one is at fault anymore?

We now know why is that the video has been pulled from youtube! No one should know the truth, OK the truth allowed by Bernie and the FIA is OK, but the TRUTH isn't!

TL
5th October 2007, 16:32
Sad day for F1 lost many fans as the British turned F1 into another corrupt sport pushing some twit idol beyond everything.

Oh gawd..here we go again ...I only hope you "anti-hamilton" people (whatever that might mean anyway) get over it as u gonne have to deal with him for many years to come being one of the topdrivers in the business...If not...he might cause some gastric ulcers left and right to certain people here on the forum....

jens
5th October 2007, 16:35
:hot:

Hopefully Lewis will clinch the title already at Shanghai!! :D

markabilly
5th October 2007, 16:46

He clinched the title when he told his daddy at Monaco, that is what he wants, with no more of this running behind FA, and then Maxie gave him immunity..... :rotflmao:

Drink up,
It is time to celebrate
I wuz right!!
:beer:

DonnieDarco
5th October 2007, 16:50
Good point there!

Why is that Vettel's 10 place penalty was erased and no one is at fault anymore?

We now know why is that the video has been pulled from youtube! No one should know the truth, OK the truth allowed by Bernie and the FIA is OK, but the TRUTH isn't!

Perhaps because it could be seen from this footage that the safety car was slow around the turn? Just a thought :D

nightingalecars
5th October 2007, 16:59
Sad day for F1 lost many fans as the British turned F1 into another corrupt sport pushing some twit idol beyond everything. How much help is gonna get probably wont know because stopped watching F1 :mad:

Definately a good day for F1 :D :D :D , I really can't see why people keep getting at Lewis Hamilton. The guy is an exceptional talent and has done well to get to this position in the championship in his 1st year. As for your last statement I'm sure Bernie will miss you :p :

Kevincal
5th October 2007, 17:03
Title should be renamed to, "Lewis WILL BE cleared of any wrong doing NO MATTER WHAT" =/ This British bias is getting way out of hand and sure is pissing off a lot of F1 fans... Sure it's great for you Brits, but even you must see what is going on...

OTA
5th October 2007, 17:10
All drivers are subject to a bunch of stupid rules, all except LH. The crane, Hungary, now this. I beleive that LH is an outstanding driver, however some things make one think.
I allways though that it's pretty stupid to penalize accidents in motorsport, unless they are clearly and undoubtely fabricated to gain advantage over another driver. But what is not only stupid, but unjust is when only applies to some.

Cheers
David

tinchote
5th October 2007, 17:17
What a bunch of haters :down:

He is by far the driver who made less mistakes. He has been fast and consistant. A deserving WDC (if he still wins it, weirder things we have seen). I would have definitely preferred Kr to get this title, but it was not to be.

Was he doing starts and stops behind the safety car? Of course he was. As everybody has been doing it for years now. And suddenly everything is his fault.

For the paranoids claiming that FIA is doing everything for LH, just explain to me why FA wasn't punished for pushing him out of the track at Spa. For less than that, MS has been called a "murderer" at these forums.

rohanweb
5th October 2007, 17:19
Title should be renamed to, "Lewis WILL BE cleared of any wrong doing NO MATTER WHAT" =/ This British bias is getting way out of hand and sure is pissing off a lot of F1 fans... Sure it's great for you Brits, but even you must see what is going on...

Kevincal.. why do you think FIA is british biased..
well for the last number of years do you think FIA was Germany biased when MS has had many many questionable movements while winning runaway championships..

comon mate.. you can do better!

the stewards has clearly seen that LH braked in order to let the SC get up to speed around the corner, we have seen enough laps howmuch webber & vettel were driving too close and paid the price!

so all those moaners can put up with it, and enjoy LH a real talent is here to make F1 more interesting though and we are to see more wheel to wheel racings to come in the years.. bring it on.

Caroline
5th October 2007, 17:20

In your opinion just what is going on? I think I am an objective person but your comment seems ridiculous. British bias? Yeah. That's why Anthony Davidson gets all those breaks? Seriously, make a comprehensive list of all the times LH has had a different set of rules to race by and then we'll discuss bias.

rohanweb
5th October 2007, 17:25
All drivers are subject to a bunch of stupid rules, all except LH. The crane, Hungary, now this. I beleive that LH is an outstanding driver, however some things make one think.
I allways though that it's pretty stupid to penalize accidents in motorsport, unless they are clearly and undoubtely fabricated to gain advantage over another driver. But what is not only stupid, but unjust is when only applies to some.

Cheers
David

Well.. I guess Lewis couldnt see behind properly whats going on beyond his own car spray.. what the heck we expect him to keep watching what webber & vettel was doing?
it was plain stupid incident because greedy webber and vettel chose to be so close to the leading car in such conditions in order to 'have a go' at Lewis when the SC comes in.. I am sure stewards seen the otherside of the story too.. well done to them! send vettel to the back of the grid for not keeping the braking distance behind webber for real./

Mintexmemory
5th October 2007, 17:32
Tin I feel your pain, KR is a fine racer, any double WC has to be good by definition. You are obviously one of the cognoscenti in my book.
The guy ahead of them has had equal machinery and equal treatment from his team (a huge slur on FAs status in the eyes of some). His demeanour obviously upsets a number of other nationalities, but it's a bit rich to hear complaints about cockiness coming from Australians and Americans after all the 'good losers are losers' jibes Brits have suffered over the years. Thank god LH is nobodies stereotype.
LH, as Rohan Web has said, is here for a long haul - enjoy the mastery you will see. I predict he will take all Scumacher's records in 10 years.

rohanweb
5th October 2007, 17:32

Thanks and Goodbye!

we have put up with boring championships of MS & Ferrari before,
now bring on some real wheel to wheel racing!!! this is what racing meant to be.. I seriously dont think what has happened this year doesnt affect the real talent and outcomes..

truefan72
5th October 2007, 17:40
Hopefully this ruling puts this latest unnecessary inquiry to bed and we can go on to a thrilling China GP

...if it happens at all ( really bad weather is predicted for sunday)

nightingalecars
5th October 2007, 17:54
What a bunch of haters :down:

He is by far the driver who made less mistakes. He has been fast and consistant. A deserving WDC (if he still wins it, weirder things we have seen). I would have definitely preferred Kr to get this title, but it was not to be.

Was he doing starts and stops behind the safety car? Of course he was. As everybody has been doing it for years now. And suddenly everything is his fault.

For the paranoids claiming that FIA is doing everything for LH, just explain to me why FA wasn't punished for pushing him out of the track at Spa. For less than that, MS has been called a "murderer" at these forums.

At last!!! somebody not hating Lewis Hamilton. Are you sure your not british cause apparantly it is our bias that is ruining the sport ;) .
I also agree with your point about Kimi even thought he has moved over to ferrari and i'm a mclaren fan i'm still interested in seeing him do well and I think he deserves a world title. I think he has a tremendous amount of talent (remember him going into a wall of smoke and never letting off!!). Best outcome now LH to be world Champion and KR to win the last too races

tinchote
5th October 2007, 17:59
At last!!! somebody not hating Lewis Hamilton. Are you sure your not british cause apparantly it is our bias that is ruining the sport ;)

Well, I cannot be farther from British: I'm Argentinean :)

ioan
5th October 2007, 18:12
Not looking like enforcing the SC rules, not this time.

Mintexmemory
5th October 2007, 18:19
:rolleyes: Not looking like enforcing the SC rules, not this time

Which are, Ioan? Come on explain to us ignorami just what the F1 rules on safety car conduct are, particularly those which have been broken.

ioan
5th October 2007, 18:43
:rolleyes: Not looking like enforcing the SC rules, not this time

Which are, Ioan? Come on explain to us ignorami just what the F1 rules on safety car conduct are, particularly those which have been broken.

What use would there be to explain it to ignorants :?:

rohanweb
5th October 2007, 18:47
Tin I feel your pain, KR is a fine racer, any double WC has to be good by definition. You are obviously one of the cognoscenti in my book.
The guy ahead of them has had equal machinery and equal treatment from his team (a huge slur on FAs status in the eyes of some). His demeanour obviously upsets a number of other nationalities, but it's a bit rich to hear complaints about cockiness coming from Australians and Americans after all the 'good losers are losers' jibes Brits have suffered over the years. Thank god LH is nobodies stereotype.
LH, as Rohan Web has said, is here for a long haul - enjoy the mastery you will see. I predict he will take all Scumacher's records in 10 years.

Right said.
you made my day! ..i will sleep well tonight ;)

SGWilko
5th October 2007, 18:56
Good point there!

The stewards felt as the race conditions were so exceptional, to punish Lewis and uphold Sebs penalty would be unfair.

I would not wish to be a race steward in these last two races. Damned what they do, damned what they don't.

nigelred5
5th October 2007, 19:10
I think they made the right call on both in light of the race conditions.

Now what they need to do is clarify that the SC sets the speed and all drivers must adhere to that speed while the FC yellow is on. Once the field is notified the SC is coming off track, and not until it is actually off track, may they warm tires and brakes. I would add that should only be allowed after an extended period under the SC of say 5 laps or deemed extreme conditions such as were present at Fuji.

Easy Drifter
5th October 2007, 19:22
I have yet to see the so called Safety car rules strickly enforced, probably because they are written so that it is impossible to not break them. Trying to maintain the called for gaps in a cranky F1 car going far slower than it wants to would be difficult in perfect conditions let alone what was happening last week. Everbody was doing the weave and brake/accelarate routine. Lewis was certainly a little extreme but everyone was doing it. The problem with the carbon brake glazing just adds to the problem. Driving with one foot on the accelarator and one on the brake would certainly result in glazing them.
A race car being driven a slow speed is a uncomfortable creature and it doesn't feel right. I can't explain it in words but they just are not right. They have to be going fast.
I do concur that Lewis was pushing the envelope.
He may be a rookie in some way but he has been racing for most of his life. He has also already done as many GPs as a driver in the 50's would do in 3 or 4 years. Mind you they also all drove in other races in many different cars. :confused:

Ian McC
5th October 2007, 19:35

Another winning first post there, nicely reasoned arguement, was it worth signing up just to post that? :down:

truefan72
5th October 2007, 19:43
I think they made the right call on both in light of the race conditions.

Now what they need to do is clarify that the SC sets the speed and all drivers must adhere to that speed while the FC yellow is on. Once the field is notified the SC is coming off track, and not until it is actually off track, may they warm tires and brakes. I would add that should only be allowed after an extended period under the SC of say 5 laps or deemed extreme conditions such as were present at Fuji.

you can't warm tires and breaks on the last turn before the start/finish line

you also can't run an F1 car around for 6-10 laps, let alone 2 laps under SC speeds without the brakes glazing and tires getting cold, let alone the low revs not doing any favors to the engines.

Leave everything as it is now and just tell the drivers to pay more attention that's all.

SGWilko
5th October 2007, 20:22

Now is the time perhaps for the FIA to instruct teams to use a medium in their tyres that does not expand or contract under different heat conditions - if there is such a gas?

Steel brakes also?

Mintexmemory
5th October 2007, 20:30
Now is the time perhaps for the FIA to instruct teams to use a medium in their tyres that does not expand or contract under different heat conditions - if there is such a gas?

Steel brakes also?

No gas but Nitrogen or Air will do
I thought it was rubber temperature that needed to be at the optimum for 'stickyness' :D

markabilly
5th October 2007, 20:41
I have yet to see the so called Safety car rules strickly enforced, probably because they are written so that it is impossible to not break them. Trying to maintain the called for gaps in a cranky F1 car going far slower than it wants to would be difficult in perfect conditions let alone what was happening last week. Everbody was doing the weave and brake/accelarate routine. Lewis was certainly a little extreme but everyone was doing it. The problem with the carbon brake glazing just adds to the problem. Driving with one foot on the accelarator and one on the brake would certainly result in glazing them.
A race car being driven a slow speed is a uncomfortable creature and it doesn't feel right. I can't explain it in words but they just are not right. They have to be going fast.
I do concur that Lewis was pushing the envelope.
He may be a rookie in some way but he has been racing for most of his life. He has also already done as many GPs as a driver in the 50's would do in 3 or 4 years. Mind you they also all drove in other races in many different cars. :confused:

Was my point about SC is too slow, but others say no--- OK then there needs to be an area where such stuff is permitted by each car upon entry,and then the stuff stops once past that point. No one is caught out, and there is no excuse for it anywhere else. .

Racers do not run well except at their intended speed. Racebikes are even more like that--for example coming out of a corner and backing off the throttle is more likely to lead to problems (esp. a high side) even in the wet, then slamming it on and holding it. At speeds above 90 mph, the wheels have a gyro effect that smooths the bike out very nicely, the engine feels better, no drive train lash.....below that, it is no fun (and why I no longer ride on the street)

Never lucky enough to use carbon brakes on anything, but with the engine mapping set up the way it is, I would think that an F1 car would be tougher to drive, trying to modulate the throttle in wet conditions as well as the brakes.

But what was really going on in Japan and such, is gamesmanship, pure and simple

The result of dropping Vettel's penalty, tells me that they knew the truth--one can not penalize the other without LH paying a penalty as well. Coupled with the threat to quit, BBC saying it is all about destablizing him...Too funny...

poor MS should have thought of that--give me back my second place in the wdc, or I will quit---give me back my monaco pole or I will quit.....

(and Easy, to anwer the earlier question, no I have never ice raced...I can not even afford the fender damage from regular driving with the public when it is icy---hate to think what it would be like on a track---but I have dirt tracked in old ovals with old beat up cars, a great blast, and truly teaches opposite lock; also motorcross on a wet track, does the same, with the biggest thrill in motor sports being the jumps....Oh me, anyway.... I am much too old...

which is now instead of just doing it, is why I now post about the silly hypocrisy of F1, with drivers who mouth off better than either nastycar or pro westling, when in the days of Clark, Stewart and Mario, such silliness would have been far beneath them, in a time when the current boys with their electornic bumper cars would not have ever made it or lived long enough to retire.....

P/S you might try a little track time with a nascar-type car on a big high banked oval, something really tough about being planted by g's into the seat, trying to see far enough down the trackon the curve, that makes it far tougher than it appears, but after I got used to it, it seems to me to be a bit boring over and over again---but worth a thrill or two if you get the chance)

Crypt
5th October 2007, 20:46

The operative word here is "Hopefully", but I think The Iceman would like to have a word on that. I hope he's in a gorilla suit for the race. :imubash:

wmcot
5th October 2007, 20:57

you also can't run an F1 car around for 6-10 laps, let alone 2 laps under SC speeds without the brakes glazing and tires getting cold, let alone the low revs not doing any favors to the engines.

Leave everything as it is now and just tell the drivers to pay more attention that's all.

Perhaps the rules should allow warming of brakes and tires only on straights. No unexpected stopping in the middle of turns.

The FIA has said that LH's actions behind the SC were acceptable. Let's see if they continue to say that if another driver is leading in the same way. I can't help but wonder how things would be playing out if LH and MW's places were reversed and LH was taken out by Vettel? How would Ron be taking that?

Brown, Jon Brow
5th October 2007, 21:03
Victory for common sense. :up:

Easy Drifter
5th October 2007, 21:47
Actually the 1st race car I drove was a stocker on dirt until the track figured out I wasn't the regular driver and took exception to a 15 year old being out there.

ShiftingGears
5th October 2007, 23:36
Still think he should've got the penalty, as well as Vettel. :down:

Ranger
6th October 2007, 00:46
Victory for common sense. :up:
His driving behind the SC was dodgy by all accounts. He was then shown to be breaking the clearly defined 5-carlength rule, and in doing so this contributed to an accident behind him, and no one is being penalised for it. I don't see what degree of common sense is in that, personally.

tinchote
6th October 2007, 01:40
His driving behind the SC was dodgy by all accounts. He was then shown to be breaking the clearly defined 5-carlength rule, and in doing so this contributed to an accident behind him, and no one is being penalised for it. I don't see what degree of common sense is in that, personally.

The common sense is given by the fact that such behaviour has never been penalized in the past. So, before assessing penalties, the fair thing is to announce that the criteria have changed.

Tazio
6th October 2007, 02:19
The common sense is given by the fact that such behaviour has never been penalized in the past. So, before assessing penalties, the fair thing is to announce that the criteria have changed.
This existing system is in place for a reason. You can't get a guy for being four lengths a head or behind, instead of being five. If you investigate him he will say I thought I saw oil on the track in front of me, Or in my rear view mirror. Or a pool of water, He can say he saw a piece of debris. The reality is these guys are racing hard in the rain. It's a huge tactical advantage IMO if you are in P1 behind the SC because you can dictate when the cars in the general vicinity will have to slow. The pace car, as slow as it is, is not going to brake test anyone. If you are back in the field you have to make your own room for warming brakes, and tires. You do this at the risk of being left behind, or passed as most of this activity happens on the last SC lap. Suffice it to say Hamilton was in a very advantages position under full course caution! He took advantage of the rules in the manner in which they are generally enforced.

Roamy
6th October 2007, 06:13
Oooouch the lap dog takes a bite

"He was on the inside - the right line - and he didn't mean to hit Hamilton. I don't understand the sanction.

"On the other hand, the man who leads (Hamilton) did many things behind the safety car that were wrong and punishable.

"I have seen the internet video and have no doubt that he should have been penalised for moving suddenly and causing the accident between Webber and Vettel," the Brazilian reportedly told his country's press.

Massa, who dropped out of the championship fight in Japan last Sunday, suggested that it might not be a coincidence that Hamilton has not been significantly penalised at all in 2007, including in the espionage saga.

"Throughout the year, many drivers have been sanctioned for small things, but there is one (driver) who never gets anything," Massa observed.

"It seems that someone wants Hamilton to win," he added.

Kevincal
6th October 2007, 06:28
And yet some of you on these forums like to call us stupid/crazy that we agree with MANY drivers opinions on Hamilton...

Ari
6th October 2007, 08:34
Just disappointing that Bernies love for Hamilton allows him to run around as he pleases.

If it were Schumacher, I wonder what would have happened? He'd had the book thrown at him!

With the new video footage Bernie can see the fault lies also with Hamilton and not only Vettel. Two options:

1. Penalise both drivers.
2. Take back Vettels penalty so Lewis isn't penalised.

As I said, it just disappoints me really.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071006063406.shtml

Ranger
6th October 2007, 08:46
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071006062029.shtml

Fernando Alonso has openly questioned the stewards' decision not to penalise his team-mate Lewis Hamilton for driving erratically behind the safety car last Sunday.

The 22-year-old's bitter title challenger told the Spanish newspaper Diario As on Friday: "I am sure that if it was me (under investigation), I would have gone to sleep with a penalty."

The Spaniard is probably recalling his infamous Monza penalty last year, applied after stewards ruled that he impeded Felipe Massa's qualifying lap.

Alonso said of the Hamilton investigation: "But I do not know, because I did not see it (the YouTube clip of the Vettel-Webber crash). "

Reigning world champion Alonso, who is 12 points behind Hamilton after his Fuji Speedway crash, said Hamilton had been warned by race director Charlie Whiting about his driving behind the safety car at Monza last month, after ‘some drivers complained.’

"The race director reminded us before Fuji what you can do - warm up your tyres, zig-zag, but with a constant speed.

"He said 'you can move, but not change your speed all the time'."

---
Considering he was given a 10-spot penalty in a similar championship position last year for an event ( If you'd call it that ) much lesser than this, it's hard to think that he doesn't have a point as such.

Harm Kuijpers
6th October 2007, 09:46
Good point there!

We now know why is that the video has been pulled from youtube! No one should know the truth, OK the truth allowed by Bernie and the FIA is OK, but the TRUTH isn't!Like Hamilton is the devil and the FIA are doing anything to favour him? Where were you with these kind of comments when MS was in LH's position? MS has done a number of questionable things, as have Ferrari, that have gone unpunished, but back then it was in the favour of the team you supported, now the tables are turned you are all upset.

LH is driving like a true champion, driving fast when he needs to, calculating when he needs to, playing a little dirty when he needs to, but withing the rules, and has been most consistent this season like all other champions have. Or have you forgotten his run of podiums in the beginning of the season?

It's not like we are in champcar where some pussy race director punishes anyone for trying to defend his position, or throwing in a full course yellow when the race is not going the way they like.

Besides, I have seen people go unpunished for worse acts than this. A true champion needs to be ruthless. I think he is kinda like MS, which is why I'm surprised that you are supporting him ;)

BTW, what about that little stunt FA pulled on LH in Spa? Pushing him off the track twice, surely, that should've been punished?

markabilly
6th October 2007, 14:35

---
Considering he was given a 10-spot penalty in a similar championship position last year for an event ( If you'd call it that ) much lesser than this, it's hard to think that he doesn't have a point as such.

"On Thursday I found out that I was going to be investigated for the way I was behaving in the race. I thought immediately that I was going to get a penalty for sure. But thankfully with the team support we pulled through it."

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2783209,00.html

only one real reason to think "immediately i was going to get a penalty for sure"

Funny how 21 other drivers seemed to think the same way....

BDunnell
6th October 2007, 15:22
"On Thursday I found out that I was going to be investigated for the way I was behaving in the race. I thought immediately that I was going to get a penalty for sure. But thankfully with the team support we pulled through it."

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2783209,00.html

only one real reason to think "immediately i was going to get a penalty for sure"

Funny how 21 other drivers seemed to think the same way....

That is no 'confession' in my book.

markabilly
6th October 2007, 15:45
That is no 'confession' in my book.

Okay, then for you, it means that the world is out to get me.....like all those other times when I have NOT been penalized for what I did.......... :D

Daika
6th October 2007, 19:09
I think Kubica should be cleared. Championship contenders always get protection into the last race(s), so it is nothing new. Alonso is losing it (championship and his head). Schumacher, Hakkinnen, Alonso and now Hamilton receives those treatment because they deserve it. Don't want Sato to ride them of the track.

tinchote
6th October 2007, 19:19
Just disappointing that Bernies love for Hamilton allows him to run around as he pleases.

Just the fact that you imply that BE is pulling the ropes at FIA lowers your post's credibility to zero :down:

So, can anyone explain why Webber didn't want to complain about Hamilton in front of the stewards, while he kept doing it with the media? Could it have anything to do with the fact that an inquiry on what happened during the SC period would have shown that Webber was driving very agressively?

markabilly
6th October 2007, 20:08
Just the fact that you imply that BE is pulling the ropes at FIA lowers your post's credibility to zero :down:

So, can anyone explain why Webber didn't want to complain about Hamilton in front of the stewards, while he kept doing it with the media? Could it have anything to do with the fact that an inquiry on what happened during the SC period would have shown that Webber was driving very agressively?

Why?

The stewards said they "investigated".. :crazy: .are you saying that they would be deciding differently........ :s tareup:

tinchote
6th October 2007, 20:18
Why?

The stewards said they "investigated".. :crazy: .are you saying that they would be deciding differently........ :s tareup:

Ok, so they investigated, and they found that there was nothing wrong with LH. Do you agree with that? Maybe not, and then we have to conclude that the stewards didn't do a good job. So, maybe a new and better investigation would show that Webber was at fault.

markabilly
6th October 2007, 22:54
Ok, so they investigated, and they found that there was nothing wrong with LH. Do you agree with that? Maybe not, and then we have to conclude that the stewards didn't do a good job. So, maybe a new and better investigation would show that Webber was at fault.
I do not wish to engage in any more conspiracy type wild eyed accusations anymore, to make everyone warm and happy...

so i will repeat my self..they said they investigated, and one knows that they would have done so very seriously and made a decision after a full complete and imparital review of all facts, without regard for who LH was, MW or SV...... just like they did when they popped mac for $100 million and gave freddie the blackmailer immunity for using secret ferrari stuff in testing and then using it in an attempt to extort RD .... :D

wmcot
6th October 2007, 23:00

---

As much as I dislike it, I have to agree with Alonso on this one...

Bradley
7th October 2007, 10:31
LH is by far the driver who made less mistakes.

:rotflmao: :D :D

The smallest grind trap of the season, on the most innocent spot. Fortunately, the "push me - I'm in a dangerous location"-trick did not work this time.

The FIA is sold, but fortunately there is still a God watching over F1.

Ari
7th October 2007, 11:01
Justice is served.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 11:57
Now comes this:
http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=1&id=155642

"with drivers having to leave their cars as quickly as possible. That is stipulated in article 30.13 of the Sporting Code [sic]."A minute and fifteen seconds [Hamilton remained] inside the car, gesturing with his hands to no fewer than six track workers to return him the track. His attitude endangered the life of the marshals, who could have been knocked down by another car at any moment."

I wonder if this will get any traction(pardon the pun) This really is getting silly.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 12:01
Fortunately, the "push me - I'm in a dangerous location"-trick did not work this time.
Funny that. It's worked before.

truefan72
9th October 2007, 13:00
Justice is served.

for someone who loves Ayrton Senna

you surely have a wierd outlook on things.

Or perhaps you are unhappy that LH's helmet is so similar to Senna's and that he constantly refers to his great admiration of him.

Or perhaps you have forgotten all of Senna's Antics

either way, it's good to see some balanced opinions ;)

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 13:06
This really is getting silly.

:up:

Nasty, too.

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 13:10
The car was in a dangerous position and Schumacher set the precident that a car can be recovered back onto the track from a dangerous position.

No good the Spannish press moaning.

Daniel
9th October 2007, 13:18
Now comes this:
http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=1&id=155642

"with drivers having to leave their cars as quickly as possible. That is stipulated in article 30.13 of the Sporting Code [sic]."A minute and fifteen seconds [Hamilton remained] inside the car, gesturing with his hands to no fewer than six track workers to return him the track. His attitude endangered the life of the marshals, who could have been knocked down by another car at any moment."

I wonder if this will get any traction(pardon the pun) This really is getting silly.
I think it's quite fair to say that. But I don't think there should be any penalty at all. It was something that just happened.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:26
So The Golden Boy breaks a rule and does not get punished :D
Yes, of course, all allegations of preferential treatment for him are totally UNFOUNDED :rotflmao:

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:35
So The Golden Boy breaks a rule and does not get punished :D
Yes, of course, all allegations of preferential treatment for him are totally UNFOUNDED :rotflmao:

And if you were in his position, with a chance to clinch the championship, you'd just throw in the towel there and then and give up would you?

Daniel
9th October 2007, 14:37
And if you were in his position, with a chance to clinch the championship, you'd just throw in the towel there and then and give up would you?
Yes but unlike Button who could be seen with his pants full of poo while he jumped over the tyre wall at the European GP Hamilton stayed in the car and possibly put those marshals in danger.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:40

I was talking about the Fuji actually, but he broke a rule at Shanghai too, and while I would have done the same as him, a rule is a rule. But we all know The Golden Boy can bend the rules to make them suit him. Do you think it is okay for The Golden Boy to break rules, if it benefits him?

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:43
I was talking about the Fuji actually, but he broke a rule at Shanghai too, and while I would have done the same as him, a rule is a rule. But we all know The Golden Boy can bend the rules to make them suit him. Do you think it is okay for The Golden Boy to break rules, if it benefits him?

Are you talking about bending or breaking.

Everything has a precedent.

If you don't punish it in the past, can't punish it now.....

Breaking rules is incorrect and should not be done. Bending them is a job for Uri Gellar......

And, if no one ever broke rules, for us 'mortals' there would be no need for speed cameras on the road.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2007, 14:45
...we all know The Golden Boy can bend the rules to make them suit him.
Tosh.

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 14:45

In which case, the moving floor would not have been deemed illegal after the event and we wouldn't all be having these lovely discussions... ;)

ShiftingGears
9th October 2007, 14:47
Breaking rules is incorrect and should not be done.

That's why theres punishments for when they are broken.

FIA's incompetentcy in the past is no reason to excuse their incompetentcy now.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:48
In which case, the moving floor would not have been deemed illegal after the event and we wouldn't all be having these lovely discussions... ;)

Not quite, that was a clear case of hopeless (Charley Farley) FIA technical department failing to properly police their own regulations.

Daniel
9th October 2007, 14:48
Are you talking about bending or breaking.

Everything has a precedent.

Breaking rules is incorrect and should not be done. Bending them is a job for Uri Gellar......

And, if no one ever broke rules, for us 'mortals' there would be no need for speed cameras on the road.
But how many of us break the law on TV and get away with it? As I said I don't think there should be a penalty..... but it does merit discussion. Remember the marshal who died in Melbourne but a few years ago? You can talk about this in terms of golden boys and rules and other such bollocks but at the end of the day there may have been lives endangered needlessly. What would we say if 2 or 3 people had been killed or seriously injured.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:49
That's why theres punishments for when they are broken.

FIA's incompetentcy in the past is no reason to excuse their incompetentcy now.

I quite agree, but unless it is ALL change in the FIA, it will continue to be run like Blitish Rail......

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:50
But how many of us break the law on TV and get away with it? As I said I don't think there should be a penalty..... but it does merit discussion. Remember the marshal who died in Melbourne but a few years ago? You can talk about this in terms of golden boys and rules and other such bollocks but at the end of the day there may have been lives endangered needlessly. What would we say if 2 or 3 people had been killed or seriously injured.

You never watched traffic cops on the beeb then? :D

Daniel
9th October 2007, 14:54
You never watched traffic cops on the beeb then? :D
Your gerbil ate my donkey! :angryfire

and in other news don't just ignore my post when it suits you ;)

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 14:54
You can, if the rule or the law has been changed in between. You cant punish for something that has been before a rule chance.
But I fail to see the relevance in what you said.

So basically, it is okay to break the speed limit in your view, if you want/need it?

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 14:58
Your gerbil ate my donkey! :angryfire

and in other news don't just ignore my post when it suits you ;)

You want to explain that for me, cos I'm clearly missing something.......

Daniel
9th October 2007, 15:01
You want to explain that for me, cos I'm clearly missing something.......
You ignored the quite obvious safety implications of what happened. Yes stuff does happen in motor racing but there are easy ways to reduce the danger to people.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:01
You can, if the rule or the law has been changed in between. You cant punish for something that has been before a rule chance.
But I fail to see the relevance in what you said.

So basically, it is okay to break the speed limit in your view, if you want/need it?

Seems to me the FIA changes rules more often than they have lunch....

It's NOT OK to break the speed limit. In fact, the countless thousands of needless deaths on the roads attest to that.

I was making a reference to human nature, that puts it in a little perspective for you.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:10
You ignored the quite obvious safety implications of what happened. Yes stuff does happen in motor racing but there are easy ways to reduce the danger to people.

Nope, wasn't ignoring it, just did not feel a reply was needed. If you want to go that route, don't let marshals on the track until SC is deployed - simple. Lewis was in the PIT lane, off the racing line, there would have been at least waved yellows.......

The bit I did not understand was the gerbil and the donkey. Is that a fable attributible to Aesop?

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 15:12
Seems to me the FIA changes rules more often than they have lunch....
They change it when needed. When they change the rule, it is meant to be taken as such and it has to be obeyed.

It's NOT OK to break the speed limit. In fact, the countless thousands of needless deaths on the roads attest to that.

I was making a reference to human nature, that puts it in a little perspective for you.

I get what you mean easily, but what you have shown with your post is that it is not okay to break rules, and if we do break a rule, it is okay for it to lead us to getting a penalty.
Makes sense.

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 15:13

Was it obvious, though, until it was brought up by the Spanish press?

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:16
They change it when needed. When they change the rule, it is meant to be taken as such and it has to be obeyed.

I get what you mean easily, but what you have shown with your post is that it is not okay to break rules, and if we do break a rule, it is okay for it to lead us to getting a penalty.
Makes sense.

Oh, bravo Sherlock. :erm:

Daniel
9th October 2007, 15:18
Nope, wasn't ignoring it, just did not feel a reply was needed. If you want to go that route, don't let marshals on the track until SC is deployed - simple. Lewis was in the PIT lane, off the racing line, there would have been at least waved yellows.......

The bit I did not understand was the gerbil and the donkey. Is that a fable attributible to Aesop?
Yes but one car went off there. Likelihood of another car going off there is not exactly small.

Safety needs to be proactive and not retrospective or we'll see more needless deaths like this.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~JWRC--Co-driver-dies-in-Catalunya-incident-~cid~4~id~127174.htm

I'm horrified at the typical "Well no one got hurt" mentality being shown by people on this forum.

Daniel
9th October 2007, 15:22
Was it obvious, though, until it was brought up by the Spanish press?
Luckily I was watching the later coverage and already knew Hamilton was going to go off so I knew no one had been hurt but yes I did think it overly dangerous but wouldn't dream of posting a thread about in this forum for fear of the way I'd react to the torrent of factless abuse from n00bish zealots who simply think because nothing untoward happened that this is OK. How would you felt if you were watching live and saw marshals crushed in a collision? It was one thing to watch Kubica's accident earlier this year and to be sickened by it but that was a racing incident and this wasn't.

ioan
9th October 2007, 15:23
Back to Hamilton and the way he was cleared of any wrongdoing.
The FIA decided that they had to "relax" the rules concerning the SC periods! :rolleyes:

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 15:23
The FIA decided that they had to "relax" the rules concerning the SC periods! :rolleyes:

Massa and Alonso were right in their comments about that afterwards.

Ranger
9th October 2007, 15:27

Edit - ah you're talking about the SC collision incident - my bad.

I don't believe in conspiracies, but yes he should have, along with Vettel, been penalised for that.

Garry Walker
9th October 2007, 15:31
Got to do with Hamilton how?

Wurz had a collision in turn 1 at Fuji and there was no safety car, despite the marshalls working on the tarmac runoff of what is an extremely fast straight, and hence would have been extremely fast accident if someone got it wrong.

The safety car should have been deployed then, and this would have benefitted no drivers. What is your point? I still don't see how Hamilton has got to do with that.

Sorry, but what on earth are you talking about :confused: ?

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:31
Yes but one car went off there. Likelihood of another car going off there is not exactly small.

Safety needs to be proactive and not retrospective or we'll see more needless deaths like this.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~JWRC--Co-driver-dies-in-Catalunya-incident-~cid~4~id~127174.htm

I'm horrified at the typical "Well no one got hurt" mentality being shown by people on this forum.

Get real.

Do you really want 22 desks, arranged in a staggered formation on the grid, each with their own playstation on, and the drivers have a simulated race?

F1 has been, was, will always be and IS, by the nature of the speeds involved a DANGEROUS sport.

If it is safety you want, go take up dominoes or sommat. You'll be banning the use of forums next due to the risk of RSI while operating the keyboard....... :mark:

Daniel
9th October 2007, 15:37
Get real.

Do you really want 22 desks, arranged in a staggered formation on the grid, each with their own playstation on, and the drivers have a simulated race?

F1 has been, was, will always be and IS, by the nature of the speeds involved a DANGEROUS sport.

If it is safety you want, go take up dominoes or sommat. You'll be banning the use of forums next due to the risk of RSI while operating the keyboard....... :mark:
While we're at it lets get rid of gravel traps, wheel tethers, HANS devices and carbon fibre monocoques. Lets take it back to how it was 30 or 40 years ago when people just died :rolleyes: It's a dangerous sport. No one can help that but regulations CAN and do minimise risk. I'm all for keeping sports as "vanilla" as possible without letting safety impede too much on the sport. Don't accuse me of being a pen-pusher who makes statements without taking into account the sport and it's roots.

This is the typical irritating reply you get on this frigging forum when someone can't back up their point. If that's the way you want to play it then I'm not going to post in this stupid F1 forum again. Not even the mods as good as they are can save people from their own ignorance and stupidity.

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 15:42
Daniel, I'm afraid I don't get where the extreme concern over this particular incident lies. Other than that, I agree with you about safety.

SGWilko
9th October 2007, 15:45
While we're at it lets get rid of gravel traps, wheel tethers, HANS devices and carbon fibre monocoques. Lets take it back to how it was 30 or 40 years ago when people just died :rolleyes: It's a dangerous sport.......ignorance and stupidity.

A little extreme do you not think? I am all for the safety aspect but jeez, you are doing the mountain and molehill thing.

Daniel
9th October 2007, 15:50
Daniel, I'm afraid I don't get where the extreme concern over this particular incident lies. Other than that, I agree with you about safety.
OK one last post :) I'm not concerned about the event itself. Merely the fact that you get told to go and play domino's if you try and sound at all safety conscious. I for one am sick of being told how much better life was 200 years ago when you didn't need to watch out for paedo's, immigrants, when you were allowed to use a tyre swing and so on. Only a bonehead would argue that there was any intentional ignorance of safety in what Lewis did but why not recognise that it was a danger that we could do without and try and make sure it never happens again? :mark: Sure everyone got off fine this time and that's good. But what if next time someone gets killed? It's not inconceivable that someone could have gone off if a driver who's as good as Lewis can make that mistake. I fail to see how not having those marshals endangered again worsens the sport in any way ;)

PM me if you want to continue the conversation :)

Tazio
9th October 2007, 17:34
If I remember correctly (I don't have it recorded so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) some of those track workers were a little hesitant to stay near the car and push.
Part of that may have been that LH had it in gear. The rears spinning and the engine revving would be enough to scare the puss out of me. What if he through it in reverses by accident? Not that it was going anywhere.
I say these guys were scarred $h!tLE$$. Two things: There should never be a gravel trap in the pit lane.
Marshals should not be allowed to assist a driver in the pit lane, as the pit crew should be the only ones allowed to assist the driver in the pit lane.

Flat.tyres
9th October 2007, 17:40
If I remember correctly (I don't have it recorded so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) some of those track workers were a little hesitant to stay near the car and push.
Part of that may have been that LH had it in gear. The rears spinning and the engine revving would be enough to scare the puss out of me. What if he through it in reverses by accident? Not that it was going anywhere.
I say these guys were scarred $h!tLE$$. Two things: There should never be a gravel trap in the pit lane.
Marshals should not be allowed to assist a driver in the pit lane, as the pit crew should be the only ones allowed to assist the driver in the pit lane.

The pit entry is not part of pit lane and team members are not allowed out of Pit onto track durining a race, not even for a little wee wee. :D

Tazio
9th October 2007, 18:06
The pit entry is not part of pit lane and team members are not allowed out of Pit onto track durining a race, not even for a little wee wee. :D
Than why have I seen them push a car that has stalled on the grid into the pit lane, just a wee bit.

Easy Drifter
9th October 2007, 18:21
I do not think I recall a case at any level of motorsport where a driver (unless it was RS) not trying to get an undamaged car back into action. I can, and I am sure many others can recall many cases where a driver brought a badly damaged and dangerous car back to the pits after an off. LH did what any other driver would have done and in most cases has.
Further when the rather large piece of construction machinery came to remove the car marshalls had to be there to attach said car. Not only was this a danger to the track workers if another car came off that massive chunk of equipment was a huge danger to another driver who might have gone off there. We must remember what yellow flags mean, especially waved. Extreme danger be prepared to stop.
Further does anyone know if the pit lane was closed until they extracted the McLaren? Speed said nothing but it may very well have been.
It is beginning to appear that no matter what LH does there are going to be critics. I am not a LH fan, nor a FA fan but this is getting very very silly.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 18:28
I'm not blaming Hamilton!
The situation, rain, gravel trap in pit entrance,
just seemed to creat the perfect storm.
I don't think they did close the pit lane. But
you are right they should have.
I hope they learn something from this situation.

airshifter
9th October 2007, 20:36
It sounds to me like we have part two of the Hamilton haters coming out to find a reason to condemn him.

The pit lane entrace situation isn't something that hasn't happened before, but it's usually closer to the racing surface. In most cases track workers are at the car either attempting to push it, or waiting for the crane to come so they can lift it.

It's dangerous regardless of whether they attempt to push the car or not. But if the rules allow that attempt, it is within the rules. Unless they stop all traffic in the vicinity of the stuck car, it will always have some aspect of danger involved.

On the regular track areas making an attempt for that amount of time is close to the time of a lap on many tracks, so the remaining field would pass. In the pit lane it's rare that the entire field passes in that timeframe, and they do so at lower speeds.

I've noticed many instances where the track workers are standing at the cars waiting for the crane. They are still there, but trying to push the car might lessen the time they are there.

Tazio
9th October 2007, 20:48
It sounds to me like we have part two of the Hamilton haters coming out to find a reason to condemn him.

The pit lane entrace situation isn't something that hasn't happened before, but it's usually closer to the racing surface. In most cases track workers are at the car either attempting to push it, or waiting for the crane to come so they can lift it.

It's dangerous regardless of whether they attempt to push the car or not. But if the rules allow that attempt, it is within the rules. Unless they stop all traffic in the vicinity of the stuck car, it will always have some aspect of danger involved.

On the regular track areas making an attempt for that amount of time is close to the time of a lap on many tracks, so the remaining field would pass. In the pit lane it's rare that the entire field passes in that timeframe, and they do so at lower speeds.

I've noticed many instances where the track workers are standing at the cars waiting for the crane. They are still there, but trying to push the car might lessen the time they are there. just out of curiosity. how many times have you seen it in the wet without the safety car

airshifter
9th October 2007, 21:14
just out of curiosity. how many times have you seen it in the wet without the safety car

None that I recall, but safety car deployment does not instantly make the situation safe either. Brasil in 2003 had cars almost run into the crane, which was extracting other cars.

I don't know that they safety car would be appropriate where the driver is in the pit entry regardless. If the safety car deployed from pit exit (which is the usual I think??) then they would have not been slowed until after they passed Lewis. By the time they came around again, the car would have been gone regardless of if they attempted a push or not.

Closing the pit entry would have been the safest method, but if a driver needed to pit could have destroyed a teams race.

Ranger
10th October 2007, 01:54
Sorry, but what on earth are you talking about :confused: ?
Ahh, hence the edit :) :

Edit - ah you're talking about the SC collision incident - my bad.

I don't believe in conspiracies, but yes he should have, along with Vettel, been penalised for that.

SGWilko
10th October 2007, 14:14
Closing the pit entry would have been the safest method, but if a driver needed to pit could have destroyed a teams race.

Not sure I dare post on this thread at the moment, seems any old benign comment can earn you a warning...... Tsk.

Closing the pit entry is exactly what happens when the SC is deployed anyway. Thus destroying a drivers race. Canada is a case in point that ruined FA's race, through no fault of his own. (mind you, he did make a bit of a cock up of the start)

Tazio
10th October 2007, 18:11
Massa and Alonso were right in their comments about that afterwards.
Here are some of webber's coments in retrospect

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_2793448,00.html

He's over it. May I suggest we follow suite.

ArrowsFA1
11th October 2007, 08:33
Here are some of webber's coments in retrospect

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_2793448,00.html

"The fact of the matter is that I said what I said because I thought he didn't do a great job behind the safety car." Webber continued.
"He could have done much better, in fact. And, to Lewis' credit, he came out and said exactly the same; first to me and then in public."
Mark Webber - straight talking and fair :up:

SillyF1
11th October 2007, 15:55
First of all I would like to say that I am British and I admire most of what Hamilton has achieved, but sadly there is more and more evidance that this championship has been fixed in Hamilton`s favour.

First there was the Nurburgring where a crane put him back on the track ! I simply could not believe my eyes ! There were other cars in the sand trap, why does Hamilton get the preferential treatment? Anyway I thought it could just have been a coincidence...

Then in Budapest... the McLaren team say that it was Hamilton`s fault there was a mix up as he disobeyed team orders, and yet the officials choose to believe Hamilton and they sanction Alonso ! This is when i seriously began to think there was Hamilton bias in all of this.

In Japan Hamilton clearly broke an important rule in F1, a rule that is meant to protect the drivers from accidents behind the safety car. The officials even told the drivers before the race they could not slow drastically behind the safety car... Hamilton once again escaped punishment ! His excuse was that the conditions were difficult.. well then he should have taken special care to avoid an accident by not hitting the brakes the way he did !

Then there are the Bernie Ecclestone comments, the most powerful man in F1 saying he wants Hamilton champion !

What more proof do you people need?

I think us British fans have been taken in this Lewis Hamilton bandwagon and have been blinded to seeing just how totally corrupt this sport has become. Its all about marketing and big bucks.

Its about making F1 more popular across the world because a black (or at least half cast) guy has won the championship. Its a shame the sporting aspect is being left aside in this huge marketing campaign.

markabilly
11th October 2007, 16:03
First of all I would like to say that I am British and I admire most of what Hamilton has achieved, but sadly there is more and more evidance that this championship has been fixed in Hamilton`s favour.

First there was the Nurburgring where a crane put him back on the track ! I simply could not believe my eyes ! There were other cars in the sand trap, why does Hamilton get the preferential treatment? Anyway I thought it could just have been a coincidence...

Then in Budapest... the McLaren team say that it was Hamilton`s fault there was a mix up as he disobeyed team orders, and yet the officials choose to believe Hamilton and they sanction Alonso ! This is when i seriously began to think there was Hamilton bias in all of this.

In Japan Hamilton clearly broke an important rule in F1, a rule that is meant to protect the drivers from accidents behind the safety car. The officials even told the drivers before the race they could not slow drastically behind the safety car... Hamilton once again escaped punishment ! His excuse was that the conditions were difficult.. well then he should have taken special care to avoid an accident by not hitting the brakes the way he did !

Then there are the Bernie Ecclestone comments, the most powerful man in F1 saying he wants Hamilton champion !

I think us British fans have been taken in this Lewis Hamilton bandwagon and have been blinded to seeing just how totally corrupt this sport has become. Its all about marketing and big bucks.

Its about making F1 more popular across the world because a black (or at least half cast) guy has won the championship. Its a shame the sporting aspect is being left aside in this huge marketing campaign.

Opps...now you done it...congrats on your first post.....now they will all be after you instead of me and some others here...... :D

F1MAN2007
11th October 2007, 16:03

I can't say it better. Thank you Sir :up:

Tazio
11th October 2007, 16:21

Nice post!
Your not the first Brit to show disdain for the Lewis Hamilton Show on this forum. Perhaps the most articulate though. Welcome

ArrowsFA1
11th October 2007, 16:32
The answer to that is none...if it is what you want to believe, and you're perfectly entitled to.

ioan
11th October 2007, 17:25

Good start!

Bradley
11th October 2007, 18:55

Well said :up:

Could it be you forgot Kubica's penalty for trying to pass Hamilton in Japan? :)

donKey jote
11th October 2007, 21:42
Then in Budapest... the officials choose to believe Hamilton and they sanction Alonso !
They had no choice: first Anthony and then Lewis moaned at the officials openly contradicting Ron's feeble attempts at being fair, in his face too.
This wasn't seen as backstabbing, unlike Mr Evil Spanish Inquisition Naughty Boy's private tizzy fit with Ron. :dozey:

I don't drink Kool-aid. Or Sangría.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

SillyF1
12th October 2007, 11:35
Thanks guys but just saying what seems obvious to me...

SGWilko
12th October 2007, 11:43
(or at least half cast)

You mean mixed race, don't you?

Your post makes sense. I would like to add that you can now understand why so many of us in the past have used your reasoning and deduced that the FIA have been biased also towards Ferrari......