PDA

View Full Version : Coronel gets the SEAT

Northern Monkey
5th October 2007, 10:43
Tom Coronel gets the third Leon at Thruxton....

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=10&id=155381&news=y

BDunnell
5th October 2007, 10:52
How surprising is that? I wonder why neither Muller or Tarquini are doing the job. Coronel is quick, yes, but is he a match for the likes of Giovanardi, Menu, and all the other BTCC front-runners who could get amongst the works SEATs?

IT_WASN'T_ME
5th October 2007, 11:43
I think I heard somewhere that Muller had a clause written into his contract to say that he would not race against Vauxhall. As for Tarquini, who knows why he isn't doing the job, does anyone know?

Iain
5th October 2007, 12:04
Gabriele and Fabrizio are good friends, so that probably had some bearing on it.

SEATFreak
5th October 2007, 13:12
As for Tarquini, who knows why he isn't doing the job, does anyone know?

I know he has just switched to TDI. Could it be he is busy testing before Monza?

I like the choice frankly. OK, he ain't the biggest flower in the garden but I think Tom is able to do quite admirably whatever he will be asked to do.

I like to think as he obviously can't fight for the title he would perhaps do a defensive job and make it hard for Fab to take points of Jase and also make it hard for Alain to do whatever he has been asked to do.

BDunnell
5th October 2007, 13:36
I like the 'isn't the biggest flower in the garden' comment! Very elegantly put.

SEATFreak
5th October 2007, 15:11
Thank you my dear fellow! :)

ATF
5th October 2007, 15:53
Gabriele and Fabrizio are good friends, so that probably had some bearing on it.

In that case, he definitely should have raced!! ;)

LiamM
5th October 2007, 15:59
Is there any call on which engine Coronel will be using? SEAT could also use this as a test for the TDi in Britain looking forward to next year, as well as Tom just getting in the way of the Vauxhalls? Is the TDi good enough to risk this yet? I've not be paying attention to WTCC much this season

Ed
5th October 2007, 16:10
it is strange that Cornonel has got the driver compared with the other drivers Seat have at thier disposal, but maybe it has something to do with drviers for next year? I mean the reason why Seat or Vauxhall haven't wraped up the manufacturers title is due to the fact that neither second driver has been that consistant. maybe seat are looking to next year?

BTCC2
5th October 2007, 16:19
There is no doubting that Tom Coronel is a good driver but with him having no BTCC or Thruxton experience, advantage Vauxhall methinks.

BDunnell
5th October 2007, 16:55
Is there any call on which engine Coronel will be using? SEAT could also use this as a test for the TDi in Britain looking forward to next year, as well as Tom just getting in the way of the Vauxhalls? Is the TDi good enough to risk this yet? I've not be paying attention to WTCC much this season

Yes, I'd have thought it is good enough. Interesting point.

VkmSpouge
5th October 2007, 17:43
Tom Coronel is a good driver, hopefully he'll do well at Thruxton.

SEATFreak
5th October 2007, 17:56
Yes, I'd have thought it is good enough. Interesting point.

When did Jordi and Yvan start using their TDI's? Anderstorp?

Yvan and Jordi didn't do that well in Sweden. Yvan got 6th in race 1 and a DNF in race 2, and Jordi got 14th in race 1 and 24th in race 2.

But since Yvan and Jordi have done very well.

Yvan at Ochersleben win race 1 and got a 5th in race 2. And at Brands Hatch got 4th in race 1 and 5th in race 2.

Jordi at Oschersleben got 6th in race 1 and a 3rd in race 2. And at Brands Hatch got 5th in race 1 and got 6th in race 2.

I think it is well worth switching over.

Captain VXR
5th October 2007, 19:14
Can't wait to see this, go Coronel :)

AlexD
5th October 2007, 23:47
Hang on, does that mean he'll be taking on Gr Asia, his actual team?

BDunnell
6th October 2007, 00:01

Yes, it does.

WSRfan82
6th October 2007, 02:22
some good drivers come in the championship in the end but would of like to of seen Tarquini in the 3rd seat but if seat think Cornonel can get the job done all the best to him just hope menu doesnt give him a harder time :P

SEATFreak
6th October 2007, 10:29

It will mean him taking on Emmett O'Briens old Leon too!

just hope menu doesnt give him a harder time :P

If my hopes come true it will be Tom giving Alain a hard time WSRfan82! :)

WSRfan82
6th October 2007, 22:56
all the best to coronel but with him having no thruxton experience i think menu will have a upper hand on coronel :)

m0rk
7th October 2007, 08:33
all the best to coronel but with him having no thruxton experience i think menu will have a upper hand on coronel :)

So.... what's harder? learning an easy circuit in a very familiar car

or remembering an easy circuit in a totally new car

AlexD
7th October 2007, 12:02
So.... what's harder? learning an easy circuit in a very familiar car

or remembering an easy circuit in a totally new car

Exactly. I think Coronel will have little or no trouble at Thruxton, it's one of the most simple circuits out there. Plus Coronel knows that car better than almost anyone.

However, Menu easily has the skill to learn the Vectra quickly.

I don't think there will be much between the two. Should be good!

Captain VXR
7th October 2007, 12:18
I think if Chilton has a good weekend, we could see some on track carnage between him and Coronel

VkmSpouge
7th October 2007, 16:15

But you forget that while Menu knows the circuit he does not know the Vectra having only had a single test in it, while Coronel has plenty of experience in the Leon.

Captain VXR
7th October 2007, 16:49
Lets just wait and see altho the Vectra seems better suited to Thruxton so maybe Menu will get the upper hand. We'll just have to wait and see :)

LiamM
7th October 2007, 18:48
After looking at this weekends results, I could see SEAT bringing a TDi for Coronel. Thruxton is a very high speed circuit rather like Monza, and if Vauxhall beat SEAT hands down SEAT could make the headlines with Britains first TDi podium/win?

SEATFreak
7th October 2007, 18:54
After looking at this weekends results, I could see SEAT bringing a TDi for Coronel. Thruxton is a very high speed circuit rather like Monza, and if Vauxhall beat SEAT hands down SEAT could make the headlines with Britains first TDi podium/win?

I would be one of the first to admit that a win apeice for Yvan (one) and Jordi (two), but could SEAT take that risk? Throwing the TDI straight into the season finale without testing it first? I think the could. Just.

It worked at Brands Hatch. It proves it can work on UK tracks.

But Tom would have to be on the pace and the performance to get away with it.

LiamM
7th October 2007, 19:10
I would be one of the first to admit that a win apeice for Yvan (one) and Jordi (two), but could SEAT take that risk? Throwing the TDI straight into the season finale without testing it first?

Testing it isn't a problem, not only is the car a proven race winner, its a joint leader of the World Championship (granted half of the season for Muller was in a Petrol, but he's still had to keep up the results to get into that position)

WSRfan82
8th October 2007, 02:09
that is true...i did not think about menu having to get used to the Vectra and Coronel already knowing the leon...o well just have to wait and see :)

m0rk
8th October 2007, 18:20

Resource to setup a 'new' car with 'new' tyres - I know the TDi would be quick, but having to do the setups again with a new driver would be too much to do

SD - prove me wrong :D

nicemms
8th October 2007, 21:50
I think Menu will do better! Although hes in a new car, he'll know the track inside out so can use free practice to set up car etc.

Whereas Coronel will need to learn a new track, braking points,overtaking places and cope with a minor change in the car through the different tyres.

Rover V8
9th October 2007, 21:34
I think Menu will do better! Although hes in a new car, he'll know the track inside out so can use free practice to set up car etc.

Whereas Coronel will need to learn a new track, braking points,overtaking places and cope with a minor change in the car through the different tyres.

Menu hasn't raced at Thruxton in 6 or 7 years, and as far as I know has never driven an S2000 car there, other than maybe in testing- he might need to learn as much as Coronel...

nicemms
9th October 2007, 21:38
Might - but surely when you've been round a track as many times as Menu will have been round thruxton it shouls surley stick!

I guess we'll have to see!

WSRfan82
14th October 2007, 18:47
i was disapointed in Coronels showing

Allyc85
14th October 2007, 22:14
Yea same here. Especially the 3rd race where he slipped back very quickly.

thetrooper_uk
14th October 2007, 22:51
A great display................................on how to mess the start of a race lol.

MBailey06
15th October 2007, 07:43
Considering though he had never been to Thruxton I think he didn't do too badly. I think it was just a bad choice on SEAT's part when they should have chosen someone with more experience of the circuit.

VkmSpouge
15th October 2007, 11:13
SEAT didn't have many choices available to them from their WTCC ranks, both Yvan Muller and Gabriele Tarquini refused. Still Coronel had a better race day than Darren Turner, that puncture really messed up his chances.

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 11:46
Coronel looked very unimpressive to me. Adam Jones would probably have been a better choice!

NoahsGirl
15th October 2007, 14:01
My question is, why didn't Jordi Gene have a chance to be at Thruxton, rather than Coronel? Gene would have been on a mega high after his great display at Monza.

Iain
15th October 2007, 15:54
And he knows the circuit as well.

Tom's a good driver though, seems like a bit of a character. :)

Rover V8
15th October 2007, 18:34
My question is, why didn't Jordi Gene have a chance to be at Thruxton, rather than Coronel? Gene would have been on a mega high after his great display at Monza.

...and has even less knowledge of Thruxton than Coronel. Apart from Muller or Tarquini, I do wonder whether any of SEAT's drivers would have done that much better than Coronel, as much as I was a bit disappointed by his showing yesterday- from what I've seen of him before, he's definitely a quicker driver than he was able to show at Thruxton...

Iain
15th October 2007, 19:25
Surely Jordi would have raced at Thruxton when doing British Formula Ford and F3 in the late 1980s/early 1990s?

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 23:40
I find it rather bizarre that Muller and Tarquini were able to get out of doing a job for SEAT for personal reasons. Muller's apparent reason in particular seems a bit weak as a justification for not doing something for your employer.

AlexD
16th October 2007, 00:01
Surely Jordi would have raced at Thruxton when doing British Formula Ford and F3 in the late 1980s/early 1990s?

True! Also, Seat sport also seem to like him to test things (he was the first to get a Leon and joint first for a TDI) so I'm suprised he wasn't the first to be asked.

WSRfan82
16th October 2007, 03:52
in shock that GT and YM put personl maters in the way of business and muller god hes as bad a neal holding grudges for so long lol

Iain
16th October 2007, 10:05
Who says that Muller holds a grudge? All that rivalry nonsense was mostly false, they did have a respect for eachother by the end of the time they were both in the championship.

BDunnell
16th October 2007, 13:15
Who says that Muller holds a grudge? All that rivalry nonsense was mostly false, they did have a respect for eachother by the end of the time they were both in the championship.

Tim Harvey gave his dislike of Plato as being the reason why he didn't want to do Thruxton.