PDA

View Full Version : iPod problem

schmenke
4th October 2007, 15:05
I have a 30GB iPod Video that now does not want to shut down.
Holding the "pause" button for 5 seconds does nothing. It does not even auto-shut; it just stays on until the battery completely drains :mark:
Any suggestions? Do I need to perform a factory reset or somethingorother?

Daniel
4th October 2007, 15:41
press and hold the play and centre click buttons for a while. Should perform a reset :)

airshifter
4th October 2007, 15:48
It will work properly when SP1 of Vista is released.

Daniel
4th October 2007, 15:52
It will work properly when SP1 of Vista is released.
Stupid stupid comment.

Mark
4th October 2007, 16:11
Quite right. I will work properly after OSX is fixed :p

schmenke
4th October 2007, 16:42
press and hold the play and centre click buttons for a while. Should perform a reset :)

Thanks Daniel :) . I pressed "Menu" and the doughnut hole for 5 seconds. Seems to have worked.

On a related topic, the battery seems to drain quite rapidly; in less than ~ 4 hours. The Apple specs indicate it should be good for 12 to 14 hours :s

Daniel
4th October 2007, 16:46
Thanks Daniel :) . I pressed "Menu" and the doughnut hole for 5 seconds. Seems to have worked.

On a related topic, the battery seems to drain quite rapidly; in less than ~ 4 hours. The Apple specs indicate it should be good for 12 to 14 hours :s
Apple's way of measuring battery life is laughably bad. I can't remember how much battery life my iPod was supposed to give but it was about half or two thirds of the advertised battery life at best :) Things like temperature can have a big effect on the batteries btw. I used to put my iPod on top of my PC here at work to get it a bit warmer (not hot) and that helped the battery last better in cold weather :) Not that it gets cold where you live :p

Daniel
4th October 2007, 16:47

Oh sorry it was menu and not play :p I haven't actually used my iPod since about March because it stays plugged into my car stereo.

CarlMetro
4th October 2007, 17:56
You could try throwing it against the wall, or perhaps stamping on it, bo9th are proven methods for turning off tempremental electrical devices.

Bouncing it down a flight of concrete steps might work too, it certainly did for one of my previous laptops :\

tinchote
4th October 2007, 19:58
Stupid stupid comment.

The "buy a Mac" comment would have been even worse in this case ;) :D

Daniel
4th October 2007, 21:11
The "buy a Mac" comment would have been even worse in this case ;) :D

Yes :confused: Especially silly considering the problem was with a Mac and Vista has nothing to do with it ;)

L5->R5/CR
4th October 2007, 21:17
schmenke what were you doing when the problem started?

My girlfriend has a 60gb video that did that a couple of times.

Turns out the 5th generation videos are a little fussy about having things disconnected while they are on and they sometimes freeze up.

Using Daniel's method always did the trick and after making sure to always turn it off (mainly when switching iPods hooked up to the car adapter) when disconnecting things has prevented a repeat of the problem. If it happens again think back real fast to what you have done to it since it worked normally, odds are you did something silly you would have never have though to be a problem.

No technology is user proof...

Daniel
4th October 2007, 21:25
I took a picture of when my U2 iPod locked up. Of course it locked up while playing a U2 song :mark:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/iRony.JPG

tinchote
4th October 2007, 21:30
I took a picture of when my U2 iPod locked up. Of course it locked up while playing a U2 song :mark:

And how do we know it's locked in the picture? ;) :p :

Daniel
4th October 2007, 21:31
And how do we know it's locked in the picture? ;) :p :
I'll prove it when Vista SP1 comes out :p

tinchote
4th October 2007, 21:38
I'll prove it when Vista SP1 comes out :p

I still think you should buy a Mac :laugh:

schmenke
4th October 2007, 21:42
schmenke what were you doing when the problem started?

My girlfriend has a 60gb video that did that a couple of times.

Turns out the 5th generation videos are a little fussy about having things disconnected while they are on and they sometimes freeze up.

Using Daniel's method always did the trick and after making sure to always turn it off (mainly when switching iPods hooked up to the car adapter) when disconnecting things has prevented a repeat of the problem. If it happens again think back real fast to what you have done to it since it worked normally, odds are you did something silly you would have never have though to be a problem.

No technology is user proof...

Ah, that would make sense now that I think about it... I had just unplugged the earphones while the unit was on, then plugged in a different set of earphones. It wouldn't switch off properly after that. I wouldn't have thought something as benign as that would freeze it up though :mark:

airshifter
6th October 2007, 19:59
Stupid stupid comment.

I would have suspected that even a self centered ego maniac would have noted the intended humor. Rather than respond in kind, I'll suggest you simply get off your horse, as it appears rather high. :laugh:

Daniel
6th October 2007, 20:02
I would have suspected that even a self centered ego maniac would have noted the intended humor. Rather than respond in kind, I'll suggest you simply get off your horse, as it appears rather high. :laugh:
Before you try your hand at "humour" again. First try and make your comment funny and secondly try to make it relevant.

airshifter
6th October 2007, 23:01
Before you try your hand at "humour" again. First try and make your comment funny and secondly try to make it relevant.

Excellent. First correct to English rather than American spelling, and then judge the humor aspect.

Horse.

High.

:laugh:

edv
7th October 2007, 12:06
I thought airshifter's comment was quite funny.