PDA

View Full Version : F1 drivers in the BTCC

nik
31st December 2006, 14:03
I've had a list of all the F1 drivers that have competed in the BTCC, from 1988-present.
Feel free to add anyone i've missed.

Gianfranco Brancatelli
Slim Borgudd
Roland Ratzenberger
Damon Hill
Tiff Needell
David Coulthard
Jonathan Palmer
Christian Danner
Julian Bailey
Jo Winkelhock
Ian Ashley
Eric van de Peole
Gabriele Tarquini
Jan Lammers
Johnny Cecotto
David Brabham
Derek Warwick
Gianni Morbidelli
Nigel Mansell
Jean-Christophe Boullion

Looking at most of that, I can see why alot of them turned to touring cars.

racer69
1st January 2007, 08:41
Thorkild Thyrring & Guy Edwards as well

Subaru WRX
1st January 2007, 11:36
true but few of them had a great successes in touring cars, like Gabriele Tarquini, winning the btcc and the etcc championships with alfa

Brown, Jon Brow
1st January 2007, 14:38
Kelvin Burt??

Don't think he raced in F1 but was he a test driver for Arrows?

Marc W
2nd January 2007, 00:12
I think Roland Ratzenberger is the only driver in that list to have done the BTCC before F1, although sadly F1 was of course the last thing he ever did.. :(

LeonBrooke
2nd January 2007, 09:41
How successful have the big-name F1 drivers been, like Coulthard, Hill and Mansell?

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd January 2007, 12:15
:laugh:

Mansell crashed alot in the btcc but had one good race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bM5ua_bz5Y

Rover V8
2nd January 2007, 12:19
I think Roland Ratzenberger is the only driver in that list to have done the BTCC before F1, although sadly F1 was of course the last thing he ever did.. :(

Hill and Coulthard both appeared in the BTCC before their F1 careers, although both only ever made one-off appearances- Hill sharing a Graham Goode RS500 in a 2-driver/1-hour race at Donington in 1988 or 89, and DC in a Cavalier at Brands in 1990

BDunnell
2nd January 2007, 13:53
Coulthard has fond memories of being pushed off by Nettan Lindgren, the feisty Swedish woman driver. He was sharing with John Cleland.

nik
2nd January 2007, 15:57
Just remembered Johnny Dumfries as well, who drove in 1988, with Guy Edwards.

Gianfranco Brancatelli
Guy Edwards
Johnny Dumfries
Slim Borgudd
Roland Ratzenberger
Damon Hill
Tiff Needell
David Coulthard
Jonathan Palmer
Christian Danner
Julian Bailey
Thorkild Thyrring
Jo Winkelhock
Ian Ashley
Eric van de Peole
Gabriele Tarquini
Jan Lammers
Johnny Cecotto
David Brabham
Derek Warwick
Gianni Morbidelli
Nigel Mansell
Jean-Christophe Boullion

inimitablestoo
2nd January 2007, 18:23
Thyrring may well have done the BTCC, but he's not ex-F1. I think he got as far as F3000 though.

Are we counting F1 starters, or simply those to have attempted to qualify? 1993 BTCC champ Jo Winkelhock spent half a season trying to get an AGS into pre-qualifying in 1989.

nik
2nd January 2007, 19:28
Yup, but he's still an F1 driver.

I was just taking people's words for it, so i'll take Thyrring.

racer69
3rd January 2007, 04:12
Isn't it mentioned in one of the BTCC season reviews that Thyrring was an ex-F1 driver.

inimitablestoo
3rd January 2007, 21:37
Maybe it does, but he wasn't :p : Not according to the indispensable "Grand Prix Who's Who" by Steve Small anyway (last published 1999; surely time for a fourth version...). Still, top driver, so probably one of those who should have made it. Like Menu or Kox for that matter...

LeonBrooke
4th January 2007, 00:16
:laugh:

Mansell crashed alot in the btcc but had one good race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bM5ua_bz5Y

Not bad. But if that was his only good race...

Brown, Jon Brow
4th January 2007, 10:49
Did K.Burt ever race in F1 ?

BDunnell
4th January 2007, 11:34
Did K.Burt ever race in F1 ?

No. He was once Jordan's test driver, though I doubt whether he got many miles in the car.

ArrowsFA1
4th January 2007, 11:59
Coulthard has fond memories of being pushed off by Nettan Lindgren, the feisty Swedish woman driver. He was sharing with John Cleland.
Wasn't that Jonathan Palmer :confused:

Neil Adams
4th January 2007, 13:41
one addition i found : Mike Wilds

those with a more knowledge of the 70s-80s f1 scene might find more candidates amongst the 88-90 btcc entry lists but i cant find anymore

if we're including f1 testers then theres
andy priaulx
darren turner
warren hughes

GRAVETT
17th January 2007, 13:48
stirling moss ran in the late 80's in bi turbo maserati

Brown, Jon Brow
17th January 2007, 13:58
Welcome back to the forum GRAVETT!!! :up: :rolleyes:

GRAVETT
17th January 2007, 13:59
well thankyou very much, keep alook out for martyn bell merchandise featuring my artwork during this years btcc

BDunnell
17th January 2007, 14:06
Wasn't that Jonathan Palmer :confused:

That was a different incident, when Palmer took Lindgren off.

Coulthard talked merrily about his one BTCC start, and his run-in with Lindgren, on a Radio 5 Live F1 programme a few years ago.

BDunnell
17th January 2007, 14:07
stirling moss ran in the late 80's in bi turbo maserati

Did he actually race it, though? I thought he'd had enough of touring cars after his outings in the early 1980s with an Audi 80. Moss recently called his decision to race the Audi in the BTCC the biggest mistake of his life.

GRAVETT
17th January 2007, 14:22
yeah defiantly raced it , im thinking 88 or 89 a very wet race at silverstone , the car was a dog and murray walker comments that the wipers seem to be going faster than the car

stefen
26th November 2012, 23:39
Jonny Herbert and Gianni Morbidelli have as well

tintin
27th November 2012, 16:05
You appear to have forgotten Jim Clark, who not only raced in both, but won both.

Mintexmemory
27th November 2012, 17:16
You appear to have forgotten Jim Clark, who not only raced in both, but won both.

Not since 88 in BTCC though! (which was the point)
If you throw it open to pre-73 virtually all Brit (and some other nationalities) raced in the British Saloon car Championship

BDunnell
27th January 2013, 16:11
yeah defiantly raced it , im thinking 88 or 89 a very wet race at silverstone , the car was a dog and murray walker comments that the wipers seem to be going faster than the car

I know this is an old thread, but this definitely needs to be corrected in the interests of accuracy: Stirling Moss never raced the Maserati Biturbo in the BTCC. He attended the programme's launch but never got behind the wheel.