PDA

View Full Version : Franchitti Gone at Andretti Green

ChicagocrewIRL
3rd October 2007, 14:24
http://www.andrettigreenracing.com//uploadimages/File/Dario_Release.pdf

IT'S OFFICIAL

That's the official team press release announcing the early dismissal of reigning
IndyCar and Indianapolis 500 Champion Dario Franchitti.

I am hoping that at some point AGR would sit down with Dario and his agent, (DO INDYCAR DRIVERS HAVE AGENTS???) and try and negotiate a long term contract. With all his accomplishments this year, Dario deserves a long term lucrative deal to keep him with the team.

It's somewhat disconcerting that there seems to be no real desire by either party to stay together. I understand Dario and Michael have had some issues this past season but they should put those aside for the good of the team.

Also, the lure of NASCAR on Dario is significant and I hope he sees the light at some point and decides to stay in the IRL. (Not Likely)

In any case, it's an odd and somewhat sad situation when you have an extremely successful season and successful relationship end the way it has today, with a three line press release. That's it ? No "Good luck Dario." No "Thank you for a great season." No nothing.

In a related story....Andretti Green has sign hired Vitor Meira to replace Dario Franchitti at the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Vitor joins current AGR drivers Bryan Herta and Tony Kanaan in the AGR #26 XM Satellite Radio Acura ARX-01a

Speed Channel is now also reporting there is a press conference scheduled for 10:30am tomorrow at Chip Ganassi Racing in Concord, NC
presumably to announce the Dario deal for NASCAR. (oh crap)

gm99
3rd October 2007, 17:12
Wow, that press release is a slap in the face - just stopped short of telling Dario to f*** off

Personally, I'd love to see Meira in the AGR Indycar, not just ALMS, but maybe that's a step towards offering him an IRL ride for next season.

disko
3rd October 2007, 17:57
and take the mrs. with you.

who will do better next year in *****, Michael Waltrip or Dario?

you got lucky and won the 500. You got lucky and won the championship. You made some real bonehead moves this year on the track that is not worthy of a true champion. Your time has come.

Back of the pack for you.

beachbum
3rd October 2007, 18:02
What isn't in the release is what happened to Marino Franchitti? He and Herta were the regular drivers in ALMS and was highly regarded by Herta. Now, no mention. When did he get thrown under the bus? What ever happened to the "big happy family".

ChicagocrewIRL
3rd October 2007, 19:56
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/40720/

http://www.speedtv.com/speedvideo/?bcpid=340473122&bclid=463916312&bctid=1213854290

Dario is in at NASCAR with Chip Ganassi Felix Sabates Racing. No sponsors were announced. Ganassi is a middle of the pack team in NASCAR at best.

Dario you had ONE good season in IndyCar and you say running NASCAR will be the toughest thing you will ever do. BS.... proving you can do it more than once in OPEN WHEEL, is the toughest thing you could ever do.

One thing I will credit Dario with is at least he isn't taking the Sam Hornish road and Dario made a decision fairly quickly. Hornish is STILL jackin' us around.

Dario no longer exists to me. Goodbye and good riddance. Jimmy Clark is doing revolutions in his underground box.

mark123
3rd October 2007, 20:51
its all about the money!!!

huxleypiguk
3rd October 2007, 21:01
No, its all about two big back flips at high speed, at his age he doesn't need the IRL anymore.

Lee Roy
3rd October 2007, 21:11
[ Jimmy Clark is doing revolutions in his underground box.

Actually, Jim Clark did a race in NASCAR too. Rockingham 1967 (or was it 65) I believe.

Alexamateo
3rd October 2007, 21:30
Actually, Jim Clark did a race in NASCAR too. Rockingham 1967 (or was it 65) I believe.

It was 1967. I posted this once in the old forum(F1 nostalgia)

According to Greg Fielden's book "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" Clark was seated in a Holman-Moody Ford with Jochen Rindt listed as a relief driver. Clark started 24th and was up to 12th when the engine let go on the 144th lap. The only problem he had was "I couldn't find the bloody brake pedal when I went into the turns"
fyi 44 cars started in a 500 lap race. 1 mile track D-shaped oval.

Cass
3rd October 2007, 21:49
wow, Disko and ChiCrewIRL are really really upset.....Dario no longer exists to me......wow.....that made me laugh.....

hey crew, just to let you know, Dario doesn't know who you are!

I think that AGR really showed what a poor organization they are with that press release. Even if you don't mean it, you act polite and gracious for public consumption.

It should've been worded like: With regret we announce that we were not able to come to terms with Dario, and today have released him from the balance of obligations with AGR. Although he won't be with us any longer we wish him all the best with his future opportunities" There, done, short sweet and professional.

What this is really about is not so much that AGR lost him to NASCAR, but rather that Chip......yes good ol Chip..yanked him. Chip always was the type, if ya can't beat them on the track, beat them off the track. I bet ol Mikey is really po'd that Chip chopped him on this one.

And now the real stress starts for AGR, not so much about filling Dario's seat, but finding someone who as part of the deal doesn't mind having to set up 3 cars per race, as Dario & Tony had to fill in to help Marco (with his stellar season behind him - what - 10/16 nonfinishes this year?) and Danica with setups.

Congrats Chip, you can advertise you got the Indy 500 & IRL Champ hitting Daytona. As soon as Sam Hornish goes to, I will have to watch the Daytona for sure!
Cass

DanicaFan
3rd October 2007, 21:54
Its a sad day for the IRL to lose such a great driver. I wish he would stay with the IRL but I wish him the best. He will do good no matter where he goes or what he drives.

I guess I will be a #40 Dario Franchitti fan in NASCAR now.. :D

ACTF_ZETT
3rd October 2007, 23:10
Once again I would like to thank Tony Kanaan for winning the 2007 IRL championship for Dario. I wonder what Kanaan has to say about this move...

I am not going to miss the stupid Ashley Judd interviews. I am so sick of hearing about her every week.

I will miss Dario. He is a good driver and was fun to watch. He did deserve to win the Indy 500, and the Championship, simply because he did. He knows what the 500 means to racing and I am sure he will take respect for the event with him to NASCAR.

Good luck Dario, try to keep the car on the track.

CCFan
3rd October 2007, 23:12
It's just as well that Dario moved on. AGR is likely to become "Marco's Team." Michael's attitude about the incident at Sonoma indicates that.

Alexamateo
4th October 2007, 00:04

I think that AGR really showed what a poor organization they are with that press release. Even if you don't mean it, you act polite and gracious for public consumption.

It should've been worded like: With regret we announce that we were not able to come to terms with Dario, and today have released him from the balance of obligations with AGR. Although he won't be with us any longer we wish him all the best with his future opportunities" There, done, short sweet and professional.

I agree. The announcement was a little terse. The guy did win the Indianapolis 500 and a championship for them.

Also, this makes Chip 2 for 2 on stealing current IRL Champions and Indy 500 winners from AGR!! :eek: :D

DanicaFan
4th October 2007, 05:21
I agree. The announcement was a little terse. The guy did win the Indianapolis 500 and a championship for them.

Also, this makes Chip 2 for 2 on stealing current IRL Champions and Indy 500 winners from AGR!! :eek: :D

Ganassi will never get Danica !! :D

gm99
4th October 2007, 08:41
Ganassi will never get Danica !! :D

Well, if she wins a championship and the 500 - nah, you're right, Ganassi will never get Danica :D

DanicaFan
4th October 2007, 09:56
Well, if she wins a championship and the 500 - nah, you're right, Ganassi will never get Danica :D

Easy now, Im predicting a Indy 500 win for Danica next year.

BrentJackson
4th October 2007, 20:39
I wager Dario won't last two years in NASCAR. Not for lack of results either, just because the ***** there - and they still do show up at every NASCAR round, believe me - will drive him nuts, as they do to Montoya.

Lee Roy
4th October 2007, 21:06
I wager Dario won't last two years in NASCAR. Not for lack of results either, just because the rednecks there - and they still do show up at every NASCAR round, believe me - will drive him nuts, as they do to Montoya.

They can't be any worse than those IndyCar Cornfield Gomers.

ZzZzZz
4th October 2007, 22:28
[url] Hornish is STILL jackin' us around.

First of all, that should be directed at Penske. Penske wants to make sure it's a good move and has made clear that the decision will be made at the end of the season. I don't know if Hornish is also so rational or not, but you can count o him getting "reasonable" results in NASCAR if Penske moves him.

Ashley seems to think NASCAR is safer. Maybe per incident. But there will be a lot more incidents in NASCAR.

The way NASCAR dragged their feet regarding the HANS devise was shameful. Only after the 5th death (of their biggest star) in 2 years did they react. First, by casting blame on Bill Simpson. Then they delayed instituting the HANS device to keep some dissonance as a PR and legal move. They tried to make themselves appear problem solvers instead of incompetent and negligent.

Colin
5th October 2007, 01:21
its all about the money!!!

Same thing when he left CART for the IRL. At leasts he's consistant.

nigelred5
5th October 2007, 02:12
What isn't in the release is what happened to Marino Franchitti? He and Herta were the regular drivers in ALMS and was highly regarded by Herta. Now, no mention. When did he get thrown under the bus? What ever happened to the "big happy family".

Mikey is a miserable pain in the backside if he doesn't get is way. That's what happened to it. Ask mommy and daddy, the list of former mrs Andrettis, his son, people he grew up with in PA.

Dario had several good seasons in CART. Remember, he tied Montoya the year Montoya won the CART championship on a tie breaker. He's been a contender since he's been with Team Green AKA AGR, and IIRC, he was still under contract to the team when the team moved to the IRL, so it wasn't totally his choice at that time. How will he do in Nascar? Meh, even mid pack every race gets you in the top half of the points battle and six times the earnings of driving in open wheel. Ganassi's good enough to get him that far.

Lee Roy
5th October 2007, 17:12
The way NASCAR dragged their feet regarding the HANS devise was shameful. Only after the 5th death (of their biggest star) in 2 years did they react. First, by casting blame on Bill Simpson. Then they delayed instituting the HANS device to keep some dissonance as a PR and legal move. They tried to make themselves appear problem solvers instead of incompetent and negligent.

Is it true that the HANS is still not mandatory in the IRL?

Wilf
5th October 2007, 20:23
I think a lot of people are reading way too much into the AGR press release. The release simply says Dario is free to race for other teams from this point forward. That makes sense since the IRL doesn't have any more events this year. It doesn't say anything else and it certainly doesn't say Dario is not being considered for a position with the team for next year.

Lee Roy
5th October 2007, 20:37
I think a lot of people are reading way too much into the AGR press release. The release simply says Dario is free to race for other teams from this point forward. That makes sense since the IRL doesn't have any more events this year. It doesn't say anything else and it certainly doesn't say Dario is not being considered for a position with the team for next year.

http://www.jayski.com/teams/40.htm

Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) announced reigning Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar Series Champion Dario Franchitti has signed a multi-year deal with the organization to compete in the Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) beginning in 2008. (Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates PR)(10-3-2007)

Cass
5th October 2007, 21:17
I think that pretty much says it all! AGR can't keep its champions. First Wheldon, now Dario, perhaps next year - Tony K. I would love to see that!

nigelred5
6th October 2007, 01:41

He and his brother were both scheduled to race in the Petite LeMans this weekend for AGR. Dario signs a contract for next year and poof. I won't totally put this on AGR though. Ganassi has a pretty deliberate program with his ARCA/Bush and Cup teams for his new drivers and Talladega is an important track to get seat time when I doesn't really matter. I suspect Dario actually asked to be released immediately to run this weekend, which he did this afternoon. I feel bad for Marino though as it seems he was also shown the door.

weeflyonthewall
6th October 2007, 02:49
It's just as well that Dario moved on. AGR is likely to become "Marco's Team." Michael's attitude about the incident at Sonoma indicates that.

Valid point. Dario doesn't deserve the trashing because he values his safety more than others.

weeflyonthewall
6th October 2007, 02:50
I think that pretty much says it all! AGR can't keep its champions. First Wheldon, now Dario, perhaps next year - Tony K. I would love to see that!

Mikey is reportedly a tough owner to drive for.

ZzZzZz
6th October 2007, 23:13
Is it true that the HANS is still not mandatory in the IRL?

I wouldn't know, and it hasn't been an issue. You seem to be saying it's not literally required, but even so, if that's the case, I doubt they would let anyone race without one (or a similar device). If they did, I would be first in line amongst the harshest critics!

Lee Roy
7th October 2007, 15:04
I wouldn't know, and it hasn't been an issue. You seem to be saying it's not literally required, but even so, if that's the case, I doubt they would let anyone race without one (or a similar device). If they did, I would be first in line amongst the harshest critics!

Sure you would. :rolleyes:

yodasarmpit
8th October 2007, 20:56
The idea of him going to NASCAR almost makes me want to cry, I always had a dream of him in a top F1 team.

ZzZzZz
8th October 2007, 21:09

Screw you! I've slammed CART, IRL and F1 plenty of times on here. NASCAR isn't exactly the only series where negligence or imcompetence has lead to the deaths of drivers (some of whom I knew), track workers and specators!

If it helps you sleep at night to think Dale Earnhardt's death wasn't preventable if NASCAR had adopted the accepted safety standards of the time, then fine.

Pop quiz time. How did NASCAR react to being informed by SCCA marshalls that crew members were smoking in the pits?
a) Seriously crack down on the safety violation.
b) Cease working with the SCCA.

Hotlavaaaa
9th October 2007, 04:40
The idea of him going to NASCAR almost makes me want to cry, I always had a dream of him in a top F1 team.

Dario is WAY too old to get an F1 ride.

electron
9th October 2007, 06:28
...will never get Danica

as far as I can see, NASCAR (and the teams there) only takes winners/champions. I mean, they practically had Leilani if they wanted to but NASCAR is in it for the long haul. First a Latino Champ, two Canadians, one Champ, a Brit Champ, maybe another US Champ... As soon as Danica has won something (which actually might happen) NASCAR will be in need of a female (winning) driver.... ;)

ZzZzZz
10th October 2007, 02:21

My first attempt to refute your insulting dismissal of my strong opinion regarding driver safety was ham handedly deleted. Anyway, suffice it to say I am on record here criticizing the IRL and CART very harshly on safety issues of the past.

markabilly
11th October 2007, 18:18
Yeah dario will be crying too, as he counts all the much more money he will make over being in F1, even at a top team.... :D

Jag_Warrior
13th October 2007, 20:52
I very seriously doubt that Dario is going to be making Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart or Dale Earnhardt, Jr. money. Those are the NASCAR guys whose earnings challenge what top F1 drivers make. It's doubtful that Clint Bowyer and Fernando Alonso are in the same income category.

Once the chance to be a backmarker at Jaguar passed, so did Dario's chances of being in Formula One. I only met him once (at the first Houston CART race) and he seemed a nice enough guy. But this move is likely his last chance to earn some bucks before hanging it up in a few years.

Also, it's odd & funny that he's going to be on the same team with the guy who bested him in a great championship battle in their CART years.

Jag_Warrior
13th October 2007, 21:01
...will never get Danica

as far as I can see, NASCAR (and the teams there) only takes winners/champions. I mean, they practically had Leilani if they wanted to but NASCAR is in it for the long haul. First a Latino Champ, two Canadians, one Champ, a Brit Champ, maybe another US Champ... As soon as Danica has won something (which actually might happen) NASCAR will be in need of a female (winning) driver.... ;)

It would liven up the racing forums quite a bit though. Instead of Futility Watches waiting for her to (finally) win a professional race, there could be Futility Watches waiting for her to (just) qualify for a NASCAR race. :D

RaceFanStan
1st November 2007, 02:30
Dario Franchitti will be driving in the Busch Series race this weekend @ Texas ...
Dario will be in the Ganassi #42 Busch Series stockcar & he is guaranteed to start.
The Ganassi Busch Series stockcars run very well, let's hope Dario has a good finish. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/thum/1u.gif

Saturday, November 3rd
3:30 PM (ET) ~ espn2 (LIVE) ~ Busch Series Race 33 (of 35)
O'Reilly Challenge 300 ~ 200 laps / 300 miles

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/track/21.gif

IndyCar may have lost Dario Franchitti but his fans can watch him in NASCAR. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/thum/1u.gif

nigelred5
2nd November 2007, 00:01
I'll be watching, but that's nothing new. Anymore I almost prefer the Bush series to Cup. The races are half the length so all of the middle of the race cruising is eliminated, they are just as competetive and almost half of the field is cup regulars anyway. Nascar made a good move ten years ago or so by dropping most of the 500 mile races to 400 miles. IMHO, they should have gone to 300. 4-5 hour races every weekend are rediculous.