PDA

View Full Version : I want the v10's back

waitey
3rd October 2007, 09:42
I've just seen a few videos around youtube and stuff that reminded me of the fabulous v10 engine we had in f1 up until the end of 2005.

Now yes in real life the current engines sound good and just as loud, but there was something about the v10 that was just amazing. I miss that sound so much, and I want them back in f1.

It is the perfect engine for a Formula One Car. Why can't we have v10 engines, but remove most of the winglets and flaps, which would increase braking distances and make it easier for cars behind to follow, allowing for more passing. Then we also get the added bonus of having the glorious v10 engine back.

Does anyone seriously think that the v10 engine will ever run again in Formula 1. The v8 engine only sounds good in person its crap on tv.

Why do we have to have these stupid rule changes, I will never get over the V10-V8 switch. Bring back v10's, remove winglets and flaps, and maybe slicks, please max. PLEASE

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 09:49
I've just seen a few videos around youtube and stuff that reminded me of the fabulous v10 engine we had in f1 up until the end of 2005.

Now yes in real life the current engines sound good and just as loud, but there was something about the v10 that was just amazing. I miss that sound so much, and I want them back in f1.

It is the perfect engine for a Formula One Car. Why can't we have v10 engines, but remove most of the winglets and flaps, which would increase braking distances and make it easier for cars behind to follow, allowing for more passing. Then we also get the added bonus of having the glorious v10 engine back.

Does anyone seriously think that the v10 engine will ever run again in Formula 1. The v8 engine only sounds good in person its crap on tv.

Why do we have to have these stupid rule changes, I will never get over the V10-V8 switch. Bring back v10's, remove winglets and flaps, and maybe slicks, please max. PLEASE

Unlikely to happen anytime soon. It would be crazy to change back to V10's because of the costs involved.

Max the Eco Warrier wants all in F1 to cut costs. That's a bit like the courts in the UK telling Pete Docherty to stop taking drugs - falls on deaf ears.

ioan
3rd October 2007, 09:50
Yeah and while they are at it they should bring back the V12's too, and all the other F1 engines that were used successfully for decades.

philipbain
3rd October 2007, 09:51
I'll second that motion, the V10s should never have gone, the switch to V8s was the most expensive way possible to cut power by about 200 horses, a rev limiter would have been loads cheaper, plus thats what they have done with the V8s anyway. The V10s made a nice howl, the 3.5 litre V12s from the early 90s made an even more satisfying noise!

ShiftingGears
3rd October 2007, 09:54
Engine variation does not take away from racing like aerodynamics does. They should increase the power and relax the engine restrictions.

waitey
3rd October 2007, 10:02
surely it wouldn't be as expensive as we think to change back. They already have bucket loads of information and technology and know the v10 engine like the back of their hands. v8's belong to v8 supercars, not f1. Sadly I fear it won't happen. The racing would just be so much better with v10's and no flaps.

for example. A quick video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-849z2TJ-A

Just listen to it. It is unbelievable. If Max went, do you think there would be a major overhaul of the rules?

It is not unsafe to go back to v10's at all. There was never a valid reason to switch to v8's.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 10:09
surely it wouldn't be as expensive as we think to change back. They already have bucket loads of information and technology and know the v10 engine like the back of their hands. v8's belong to v8 supercars, not f1. Sadly I fear it won't happen. The racing would just be so much better with v10's and no flaps.

for example. A quick video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-849z2TJ-A

Just listen to it. It is unbelievable. If Max went, do you think there would be a major overhaul of the rules?

It is not unsafe to go back to v10's at all. There was never a valid reason to switch to v8's.

I like your way of thinking, but the FIA want to go the route of fuel efficiency, regenerative power et al. But I too used to love the wail of the Ferrari V12, last used in 1995 IIRC, and it was a revelation then that they were achieving 19k rpm with that motor.

If we go the route of a max fuel stipulation, and allow turbo's back, the sound will be lost forever......

Edit, or was that 16k rpm?

waitey
3rd October 2007, 10:12
thats why I want Max gone before he keeps destroying F1. How long before he is out god please.

As I said before, do you people think with a change of power there would be a change of rules, but good rules back into the sport? Is Mad Max the only one with his stupid opinions. I mean when we get a change of power can we expect the rules to change to represent what most of the fans want?

tinchote
3rd October 2007, 13:26
I would take it if they would just take the rev limiter away. Current F1 is a sad joke.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 13:32
I would take it if they would just take the rev limiter away. Current F1 is a sad joke.

Spot on fella. The best racing has always come about in one of two ways - adverse weather, or when there are little or no restrictions on design/engine configuration.

Back in the good old days - mid to late eighties for me I guess - with such diverse engines as the trusty ford DFV, the lambo v12 lump, the Ferrari V12 powerhouse (but very thirsty), the Honda turbo's, V12's and V10's and the Renault V10's, all were suited to aprticular tracks, so you were virtually guaranteed good racing.

These days, if is dry, you can almost guarantee a procession.

veeten
3rd October 2007, 16:07
It's always good to be wanted... ;) :D

Kevincal
3rd October 2007, 16:10
The V10's sounded so much better. The V8's are too reminiscint of Champ (Crap) Car and Indy Cars. I don't care for either of those series.

CarlMetro
3rd October 2007, 17:02
It's always good to be wanted...

Not everyone would agree with you there ;) :p :

http://www.amw.com/

Personally I pine for the days of the Ferrari Flat 12, but then I'm old enough to remember them. If you put one 312T on a track with 30 other cars then I could tell you which one was the 312T with my eyes closed, there is nothing sweater sounding ;)

Sadly though, rather than returning to V10's we're more likely to see V6's in F1 within the next few years, probably running on bio-ethanol or sunflower seeds if Max has his way :rolleyes:

schmenke
3rd October 2007, 21:41
...Personally I pine for the days of the Ferrari Flat 12, but then I'm old enough to remember them. If you put one 312T on a track with 30 other cars then I could tell you which one was the 312T with my eyes closed, ...

...and if you heard tyres squealing you knew who it was behind the wheel ;)

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 21:58
...and if you heard tyres squealing you knew who it was behind the wheel ;)

Gilles perhaps?

Rollo
4th October 2007, 00:14
Personally I pine for the days of the Ferrari Flat 12, but then I'm old enough to remember them. If you put one 312T on a track with 30 other cars then I could tell you which one was the 312T with my eyes closed, there is nothing sweater sounding ;)

There is an advert doing the rounds for Shell V-Power and in it are a montage of Ferraris going back to about 1960. In the ad is the Ferrari 312B which I think is one of the three most glorious engine noises ever heard (the other two being the Rolls-Royce Merlin and the E-Type Jaguar which incidentally are also V12s).

The reason why V10s were picked on in the first place was because Honda through experimentation had discovered that for a reciprocating internal combustion engine, the most efficient capacity per cylinder was 298cc.
3000cc divided by 298cc gives 10 cylinders. For the current 2400cc engines, it gives 8 cylinders but an 8 will never match for noise the sound of a 12 cylinder symphony.

ShiftingGears
4th October 2007, 00:54
In the ad is the Ferrari 312B which I think is one of the three most glorious engine noises ever

Absolutely!

waitey
4th October 2007, 01:00
the point is. max must go before it gets even worse. Listen to all the fans. Put it this way, they have changed the rules and the racing hasn't got any better. Look at it during the 90's etc. Why don't we go back to those rules. How is it that the people in charge have no common sense and cannot see this? I want someone in charge who understands what the fans want and realises what the best rules are for this sport. Which is not v8's. Give them v10's back or let it be unrestricted. NO Flaps or winglets and the possibility of slicks, then lets see what happens.

ShiftingGears
4th October 2007, 01:14
Also the roar of the Auto Union Type -C. Absolute beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myxMudtFX6g

the point is. max must go before it gets even worse. Listen to all the fans. Put it this way, they have changed the rules and the racing hasn't got any better. Look at it during the 90's etc. Why don't we go back to those rules. How is it that the people in charge have no common sense and cannot see this? I want someone in charge who understands what the fans want and realises what the best rules are for this sport. Which is not v8's. Give them v10's back or let it be unrestricted. NO Flaps or winglets and the possibility of slicks, then lets see what happens.

Yes I agree. More power and less grip is definitely the way to get exciting racing, not option tyres.

Hawkmoon
4th October 2007, 03:40
The reason why V10s were picked on in the first place was because Honda through experimentation had discovered that for a reciprocating internal combustion engine, the most efficient capacity per cylinder was 298cc.
3000cc divided by 298cc gives 10 cylinders. For the current 2400cc engines, it gives 8 cylinders but an 8 will never match for noise the sound of a 12 cylinder symphony.

That might be true but it was Renault who pioneered the V10 in F1. The 3.0 litre formula didn't start until 1996, by which time Honda had been out of F1 for a couple of years. I'm pretty sure that Honda's first V10 was in the back of the 1999 BAR.

In the late '80's-early '90's when Renault first started using their V10 in the Williams, Honda and Ferrari were fighting it out with V12s. Honda's last engine before they returned was a V12 in the 1992 McLaren.

I always believed that the V10 was the preferred configuration because it was the best compromise between the light, efficient but low on power V8 and the powerful but heavy and thirsty V12. The V10 pretty much hit a sweet spot in the middle.

wmcot
4th October 2007, 07:33
Sadly though, rather than returning to V10's we're more likely to see V6's in F1 within the next few years, probably running on bio-ethanol or sunflower seeds if Max has his way :rolleyes:

...or methane! Then we'll hear about drivers cheating by eating bowls of beans before each race!