PDA

View Full Version : TRD3: FPA Round 2 Oran Park

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2006, 11:08
Round 2 takes us to Oran Park for the beginning of our first Aussie leg in the series. Oran Park is the only figure of 8 track in the series and is known for some very dangerous curbs, a big hazod in an open wheel car.

Muz will be looking for another win on home soil after his brilliant win at Brnds Hatch last week but he'll face some strong compettion as Peter Vuko and BobZee will also look to impress in front of their home crowd.

Looking to ruin the party for the Aussies however is the Brands runner up, American, Lugnut. Also hoping to put the pressure on the front runners are Brits Jon Brown and RaikkonenRules who were only just off the leading pace at Brands. Jon Brown may not be competeting today as his schdule only includes the European races but if he finds the nessary funding he may just turn up. Fingers crossed :up: Jon Brown, your country needs you.

Scot, Micheal Booth will be hoping for a better result after being rather unfairly disqualified for a crash with Englishman, El Sween where El Sween ran into the back of him at Druids. The Scot was a late entry and should go better this time as he should have more track time by now.

Entry List: 17
#4 Nick Tallon Vorsprung Durch Czechnik (England)
#5 Foxystoat V8 Thunder Racing (England)
#7 Lugnut Lugnut Racing (USA) (PC)
#8 RaikkonenRules Team Triple R (England)
#11 Jon Brown Prodrive (England)*
#13 Micheal Booth (Scotland)
#17 Rickupinoft Audi Sport (England) (PC)
#21 Bobzee BZR (Australia) (PC)
#23 El Sween Team PSR (England)
#39 Muz ZOOM Racing (Australia)
#44 Alfa Fan Team Kit-Kat Racing (England)
#51 Peter Vuko Team Aussi (Australia)
#82 Johnny Shell Kentucky Fried Racing (USA)
#88 Craig Nayler Siennar Sports (England)
#124 Neil Adams Team CBA (England)
#131 Crutts CruttSpeed (England) (PC)
#666 Real Illusions Mobile Chicane Racing (England)

* Jon Brown unconfirmed as his schdule does not include this race but may show up if nessesary funding is found. :up:

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2006, 11:13
Here are the championship standings.

Standings
1. Muz 25
2. Lugnut Usa 20
3. Peter Vuko 16
4. Jon Brown 13
5. RaikkonenRules 11
6. BobZee 10
7. Johnny Shell 9
8. Real Illusions 8
9. Neil Adams 7
10. Alfa Fan 6
11. FoxyStoat 5
12. Craig Nayler 4
13. Crutts 3
14. El Sween 0
15. Micheal Booth 0
16. Nick Tallon
17. Rickupinoft
18. Harvick #1

PC Championship
1. Lugnut Usa 10
2. BobZee 8
3. Crutts 6
4. Rickupinoft

Nations Cup
1. Australia 25
2. USA 20
3. England 13
4. Scotland 0

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2006, 11:50
Oh yeah this is a 21 lap race.

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2006, 12:34
Just done my race. I challenge Muz to get a laptime of less than 50 seconds.

lugnut_usa
31st December 2006, 17:04

I haven't even turned a lap on the track yet, but I predict you'll see a 46.xxx, at least, before the event is over.

Brown, Jon Brow
31st December 2006, 17:31
Prodrive and West Lancashire Racing (who run Jon Brown's Clio) are rumoured to be doing a deal that would split the transport costs to Australia for the approaching rounds in each series. This could mean Jon Brown will make the grid at Oran Park. ;)

BTW As it is likely that there will be a practice session in the Hall of Fame on this track, maybe you could do a report on that like you did fot the race. :up:

Also, Adam Sloma has nearly beat Muzzez fast lap at Brands and has recently joined the forum.

foxystoat
31st December 2006, 19:13
When is the deadline for this race ? I wil try not to leave it so late this time.

Brown, Jon Brow
31st December 2006, 20:45

That's no challenge for Muz!

I've just done a 48second lap and i'm slow.

I challenge Muz to get a laptime less than 46seconds. ;)

Peter Vuko
1st January 2007, 02:20
Just had my 1st practice session at Oran Pk. Posted a 47.42s to be equal 5th on Codies. The 46.99s by Sloma will be hard to beat - 45's??? forget it!! In race trim mid - high 47's & low 48's will be hard to beat & traffic will be a major problem on this short track.

Peter Vuko
1st January 2007, 06:35
Well the SHOOTOUT for Rd 2 at Oran Pk has started!! Look at the Codies site!!! I think I will go have a Polish sandwich for lunch!!

Brown, Jon Brow
1st January 2007, 13:27
Good time Vuko :up:

It's quite close at the top. ;)
http://www.codemasters.co.uk/halloffame/display-hall.php?gameid=44&order=72

I've just found out where i'm going wrong with my set up so I expect to improve my times by at least 2seconds ;)

RaikkonenRules
1st January 2007, 15:06
When is the deadline for this race ? I wil try not to leave it so late this time.

Deadline is Friday 12th January 20:00 GMT

RaikkonenRules
1st January 2007, 15:10
That's no challenge for Muz!

I've just done a 48second lap and i'm slow.

I challenge Muz to get a laptime less than 46seconds. ;)

Holy mother of God :eek: Looks like I have no chance of even a top 5 in this one. :( Expect total times of less than 17 mins then.

RaikkonenRules
1st January 2007, 15:16
Peter Vuko's now 2nd in the Hall of Fame just one hundreth of the top time set by Adam Sloma.

BTW if Adam Sloma is a new member like you say, he should definately consider this championship. That would mean a non English speaking country in the Nations Cup. :)

nik
1st January 2007, 19:01
Oran Park, one of my favourites! Hopefully I will turn up to this meeting.

RaikkonenRules
2nd January 2007, 11:20
I have recieved times from Alfa Fan

foxystoat
2nd January 2007, 13:35
I have no clue about setting a car up so will go with default setup again & expect to be at least 7 secs a lap down ! I wish everyone had to run with default then I would know how slow I was is all down to driving ability & not both driving & setup. I'm sure even with everyone on the same setup Muz & Peter Vuko etc. at the top would be 4 or 5 secs a lap faster still.

RaikkonenRules
2nd January 2007, 23:10
OK then new rule, default steup from now on. :)

real_illusions
2nd January 2007, 23:34
for this round or the next?

and the tyres wont last the distance on default settings either. plus the gears are horrible on default.

maybe just the gears and tyres can be altered..but nothing else?

Alfa Fan
2nd January 2007, 23:40
Can't be for this round, some of us have already submitted times. I don't tend to mess with the setup much on the FPA, other than tyres (100% soft in qually) and stiffen it up a little bit, and sometimes gears, if the default is really bad. (As at Oran)

BobZee
3rd January 2007, 01:26
I think it is a bad idea to firstly change the rules into the season, and secondly, to go to default just because foxystout has trouble with setups. It is a much more interesting competition and better learning experience to have to set up cars for the different tracks. Please reconsider, RR !!

johnny shell
3rd January 2007, 13:07
if you do decide to leave the rules alone there's lots of people here who are willing to help foxy learn to set a car up.

I know I've never had any trouble finding help when I needed it. and look at me now: I'm a solid mid-fielder!

now if I could only learn to drive.......

:D

RaikkonenRules
3rd January 2007, 14:01
OK then setups allowed

johnny shell
3rd January 2007, 14:46
well foxy, here's a starting point for you then, based on my own experience and what I've learned from peeps like Vuko.

I lower my car almost all the way, like to .10. I think Vuko says lower it all the way, unless it's a real rough track, but I need a little forgiveness so that when I hit the curbing my car doesn't flip. so I set it to .10.

then I stiffen the suspension all the way up. springs, shocks, roll bars, everything. then I flatten out the wings as much as possible to reduce drag.

I also lower the tire profile as much as possible.

basically make it as low and stuff as possible with as little wing as possible.

I run a little toe-in at the front, like .10 I think, and full camber front & rear.

once you do all that if your car's over or under steering come back & someone will help you out some more.

and the gearing - I don't know exactly what my settings are, but I move the final drive ratio from side-to-side unil the best 0-60 & 0-100 times are reached. then sometimes if I'm hitting the rev limiter in a certain gear I'll adjust that gear a little so I don't have to shift.

foxystoat
3rd January 2007, 18:49
Thanks for the tips guys & your right not to change the rules now RR just because I struggle to set my car up.
Just need to find time to practice !

Brown, Jon Brow
5th January 2007, 22:19
I'm going have to withdraw from this round. Sorry! :(

RaikkonenRules
5th January 2007, 22:32
That's a shame Jon :( Hopefully you can make the next round. :up:

Still that means more points for the rest of us. :D

RaikkonenRules
7th January 2007, 12:01
Just recieved a PM from Adam Sloma, the polish guy who has some very quick times on the codemasters Hall of Fame. He is proposing an entry but for some reason he cannot post on the forums despite activating an account last Sunday. Can anyone give him some advice so he can send posts. :)

BTW deadline for this race is Friday 20:00 GMT. I have times from Alfa Fan, Neil Adams and myself so far. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
7th January 2007, 12:42
Times due next friday :o

I thought it was this friday :dozey:
I may have time to do this round then (maybe)

Muz
8th January 2007, 02:42
Really struggling for pace at this track, especially in time trial mode. I just can't seem to get the car settled for a really quick lap. My pace in race setup is far better as the car behaves with a full fuel load. But I don't think I'll be competitive, especially as I've just ripped a toenail off my driving foot. Ouch!!

RaikkonenRules
8th January 2007, 20:37
Times due next friday :o

I thought it was this friday :dozey:
I may have time to do this round then (maybe)

Sorry I meant Friday 12th :)

RaikkonenRules
8th January 2007, 20:52
Recived entry and times from Adam Sloma. I've added him to the entry list.

Entry List: 18
#4 Nick Tallon Vorsprung Durch Czechnik (England)
#5 Foxystoat V8 Thunder Racing (England)
#7 Lugnut Lugnut Racing (USA) (PC)
#8 RaikkonenRules Team Triple R (England)
#11 Jon Brown Prodrive (England)*
#13 Micheal Booth (Scotland)
#17 Rickupinoft Audi Sport (England) (PC)
#19 Adam Sloma Slomek Racing (Poland) (PC)
#21 Bobzee BZR (Australia) (PC)
#23 El Sween Team PSR (England)
#39 Muz ZOOM Racing (Australia)
#44 Alfa Fan Team Kit-Kat Racing (England)
#51 Peter Vuko Team Aussi (Australia)
#82 Johnny Shell Kentucky Fried Racing (USA)
#88 Craig Nayler Siennar Sports (England)
#124 Neil Adams Team CBA (England)
#131 Crutts CruttSpeed (England) (PC)
#666 Real Illusions Mobile Chicane Racing (England)

lugnut_usa
10th January 2007, 18:12
I might miss this round, still dealing with leftover issues from moving to a new apartment and my son has been sick for the last couple of weeks.

I'll get back in when I can!

RaikkonenRules
11th January 2007, 18:53
Times from BobZee and Craig Nayler. Still expecting times from Muz, Peter Vuko, Johnny Shell, Real Illusions, Mad Cat (Crutts), Foxystoat, El Sween, BM, Nick Tallon and Rickupinoft and maybe times from Lugnut.

foxystoat
11th January 2007, 18:55
crikey I forgot will have a go tonight.

johnny shell
11th January 2007, 19:38
ran my race last night! didn't finish up until well after 11 pm. I was able to run a few laps on the track last week to learn it, so in practice last night I was able to concentrate on getting my times down to about 50 seconds, and learn to work up through the traffic.

the traffic gave me a lot more trouble then expected. I began to think maybe I should have spent my sponsorship dollars testing here more instead of running the clio race, but I like driving the clio cars and racing is more fun than practicing so there you go.

ended up getting to where I could run consistanly in the 49's. was quite happy with that. both because that is a respectible time and because I was pretty consistant, which has been my focus lately.

lapping the whole field in a 21 lap race on that tight track was tough though! In practice I rolled my car, got disqualified, got black flagged, and everything else you can think of before I managed to but 21 solid (or semi-solid) laps together.

but man was it a rush. especially when you do cockpit view like I do. wow. that is probably the most exciting race I've ever run - totally right on the edge and feeling the thrill of speed.

maybe I'll even get another mid-pack finish like I did in the first race.

johnny shell
11th January 2007, 19:54
oh yeah... the next track - Barbagello. wow. looks like a nice track. not sure if I've ever run there before but it looks pretty straight forward and doesn't seem too tough to learn.

where is it? aussiland? or NZ?

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 19:56
Australia

harvick#1
11th January 2007, 20:14
Just recieved a PM from Adam Sloma, the polish guy who has some very quick times on the codemasters Hall of Fame. He is proposing an entry but for some reason he cannot post on the forums despite activating an account last Sunday. Can anyone give him some advice so he can send posts. :)

I thought you have to activate the account when motorsport forums gives you an e-mail about the final regristration.

Peter Vuko
11th January 2007, 22:59
Completed the gruelling 21 laps at Oran Pk. The car ran consistent times but with the harder compound tyres & conserving the use of the boost could not get near my Codemasters time trial time. Traffic was a major hindrance from lap 9 onwards. I lapped the field & then lapped well over half the field again. This traffic dodging interupted my consistent times. I think whoever can manage the traffic best will win. It will be interesting to see how Adam Sloma goes in the race - we know he is probably the fastest man at the moment in time trial mode but can he handle traffic - probably!

Muz
12th January 2007, 04:39
Watch the cricket or do my race??!!

OK I'll do the race during the change of innings.

Given up looking for more pace as its all about managing the traffic!!

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 17:46
Deadline for this race is 20:00 GMT tonight. I will put the results up then.
Anyone else going to be racing today?

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 20:05
Deadline for this race is 20:00 GMT tonight. I will put the results up then.
Anyone else going to be racing today?

I can't!!

Revision :rolleyes: (don't ask why i'm on the forum then :erm: )

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 20:30
...and the deadline is.... now!

Very close at the front with the top 3 covered by less than two seconds.

Race Results, Report and Championship Updates coming soon.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 20:33
...and the deadline is.... now!

That was 30 seconds slow ;)

PS. I noticed that you have the lowest rep of anyone on the forum :laugh:
If your race report is good, i will give you some.

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:27
Race Report:

11 cars out of the expected 18 lined up on the grid at Oran Park for this weekends race. Jon Brown and Lugnut had to miss the round due to financial shortages while Crutts, El Sween, Micheal Booth, Rickupinoft and Nick Tallon failed to turn up with any notice.

Promising Pole, Adam Sloma is making his debut today. He starts this race from pole with an astonishing sub 47 lap. Peter Vuko lines up alongside with Muz and RaikkonenRules behind them.

The lights go out and its go! Adam Sloma makes a good start with Vuko, Muz and RR maintaining position behind. Sloma performs an astonishing opening lap to have a lead of over a second from Vuko. Muz is right behind, the Aussie driving injured today with a ripped off toenail :eek: RR is desperately trying to fight off BobZee who is all over the back of him. Johnny Shell follows in sixth with Neil Adams and Real Illusions just back from him. Alfa Fan is ninth then Craig Nayler and Foxystoat who brings up the rear.

After 4 laps Adam Sloma has a lead of 3 seconds, further back BobZee attacks RR on the last corner and is alongside coming out onto the pitstright. RR however has the inside line into the first corner and shoves BobZee onto the grass. BobZee somehow keeps it together and outbrakes RR on the grass and stays alongside him going under the bridge. He makes it past at the next corner as RR loses it onto the grass and drops to sixth behind Johnny Shell.

On lap 9 Sloma has a 6 second lead and has caught the tailend of the field.
RR repasses Shell and sets off after BobZee who is now 4 seconds ahead.

Real Illusions passes Neil Adams for seventh.

Drama on lap 19, while Sloma was lapping Craig Nayler he ran off the track at the esses and spins off track. He drops behind Vuko and Muz. On the following lap Muz passes Vuko for the lead who is soon repassed by Sloma.

Final Lap, Muz is under enormous pressure from Sloma. The Pole makes a move at the last corner but overcooks it leaving Muz with a clear path to victory. Sloma just holds off Vuko who nearly passes him thanks to his slipstream. BobZee had been catching the trio and comes across the line in fourth. RR finishes fifth with Johnny Shell sixth. Real Illusions is again the last car on the lead lap in seventh with everyone else at least a lap down.

So another win for Muz who extends his championship lead to 18 points over Peter Vuko. Thats it for RRTV's coverage of the second round of the Formula Palmer Audi World Series. Join us next time for Round 3 at Barbegello near Perth, Australia. :D

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:32
Race Results:

1 -#39 Muz---------------17:13.7 48.16 Leader
2 -#19 Adam Sloma-------17:14.7 47.22 00:01.0
3 -#51 Peter Vuko--------17:15.4 48.11 00:01.7
4 -#21 BobZee-----------17:18.9 48.57 00:05.2
5 --#8 RaikkonenRules----17:33.5 49.06 00:19.7
6 -#82 Johnny Shell------17:45.7 49.43 00:31.9
7 #666 Real Illusions------18:02.5 50.91 00:48.8
8 #124 Neil Adams--------18:23.2 51.56 1 lap
9 -#44 Alfa Fan-----------19:06.9 53.18 1 lap
10 #88 Craig Nayler-------19:37.7 54.07 2 laps
11 -#5 FoxyStoat---------20:04.3 54.71 2 laps

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:35
Drivers Standings:

1. Muz 50
2. Peter Vuko 32
3. BobZee 23
4. RaikkonenRules 22
5. Adam Sloma 20
6. Lugnut 20
7. Johnny Shell 19
8. Real Illusions 17
9. Neal Adams 15
10. Jon Brown 13
11. Alfa Fan 13
12. Craig Nayler 10
13. FoxyStoat 10
14. Crutts 3
15. El Sween 0
16. Micheal Booth 0

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:36
PC Championship:

1. BobZee 16
2. Lugnut Usa 10
3. Adam Sloma 10
4. Crutts 6
5. Rickupinoft 0

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:37
Nations Cup:

1. Australia 50
2. USA 30
3. England 24
4. Poland 20
5. Scotland 13

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 21:40
That was 30 seconds slow

PS. I noticed that you have the lowest rep of anyone on the forum :laugh:
If your race report is good, i will give you some.

Took you long enough to realise that. :p : :D Enjoy the race report, I look forward to recieving some good rep from you.

Congrats to Muz on another win. :up: A cake is on its way in the mail to you now. :)

Peter Vuko
12th January 2007, 22:46
Another great race report R/R. Again a very close race. Well done to Muz but I'm getting closer. The difference was in the negotiating of the traffic because I think I had a quicker car this time. A good debut by Sloma - he will be hard to beat as the series progresses. A very good effort by BobZee keeping up with the leading group. Barbagallo will be interesting!

Adam Sloma
12th January 2007, 22:48
Hi everyone.
I can finally post! That was a long queue after activation.

1 second behind! Thet was close. If it weren't for this accident on 19 lap.

Next time I'll be more concentrated :)

El Sween
12th January 2007, 22:51
Oh C%$p I forgot the deadline was today.

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2007, 22:57
Hi everyone.
I can finally post! That was a long queue after activation.

1 second behind! Thet was close. If it weren't for this accident on 19 lap.

Next time I'll be more concentrated :)

Welcome to the forum Adam :)

BobZee
12th January 2007, 23:36
Great report, RR ! Congrats to Muz on another win, glad to see u were able to break through the pain barrier and complete the race (lol ;)
Welcome Adam, it looks like u will be a very hard competitor to beat, not only in the FPA, but other future competitions as well.
Aussies fill the top 3 positions and will be looking to maintain these standings at Barbagallo :)

real_illusions
13th January 2007, 00:45
maybe i should swap my palmer audi with an f1 car..i'm sure no-one will notice ;)

Muz
13th January 2007, 08:41
That was a nice surprise. I really didn't think I would have the pace on this track. The difference was a slight change to the front wing in the warm up, and a radical approach to the tyre camber.

The race itself was actually quite fun, with all the overtaking and stuff. It took my mind off the throbbing right toe (thanks for the sympathy Bob)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2007, 14:21
I think I would have got into the top 5 if I had done the race ;) I had lapped in the 47second range when I did some practice laps, but when I intended to do my race I had lost my set-up :( so I didn't have time.

Can't wait for the next European round :)

johnny shell
13th January 2007, 15:46
another mid-field performance for me. I'm happy with that.

it's interesting to note that the order of finish was very consistant with each of our fastest laps. I think that means we're all running pretty consistant and negotiating traffic good, but some of us are just faster than others. I remember last year your fastest lap was very little indication of where you would finish, so we're all getting better!

thanks RR for running this. open wheel cars are my first true love, closely tied with women. running these great european & aussie circuits with some of the best drivers in the world is a real joy.

my first laps at the next circuit are going well! I seem to be out in front of tha AI competition more than I was at this round - so watch out you other mid-fielders, I may be moving to the upper half of the finishing order this time!