PDA

View Full Version : Snow tyres for 2009

SubaruNorway
2nd October 2007, 19:29
Some rumors in a norwegian forum that the snow tyres in the future will be wider like the gravel tyre but with basicly the same studds anyone heard anything about this?

rallymaster
3rd October 2007, 14:54
Its no rumor, snow tyres for wrc events will have to fit on the same rim used for gravel.

SubaruNorway
3rd October 2007, 16:13
Seen any info on that somewere?

J4MIE
3rd October 2007, 19:20
Why is that then? Surely snow tires are more effective when they are narrow, allowing them to cut down into the surface rather than sitting on top of frsh snow? :s

DonJippo
3rd October 2007, 20:00
Why is that then? Surely snow tires are more effective when they are narrow, allowing them to cut down into the surface rather than sitting on top of frsh snow? :s

Wild quess...control tyre, cost saving.

COD
3rd October 2007, 21:05
To have them fit the same rim as gravel tyre would certainly save costs. They would not necessarely not be as wide as grave tyres, but surely more wide than now.

And wider would mean less grip and more slides, thus more exciting for spectators, so not so bad...

jonkka
4th October 2007, 10:56
In fact, current snow tyres give better grip on snow and ice than gravel tyres even in best conditions on gravel.

Addicted
4th October 2007, 12:50
And less grip means also lower speeds. So we can find safety reason also for this.

WRXedUSA
4th October 2007, 20:47
While I can see the savings in keeping only 2 styles of wheels (tarmac and gravel), I can imagine that a wider tire would require more studs, making it marginally more expensive.

I think the Swedish organizers are paranoid about safety in fear they may lose the event.

COD
4th October 2007, 21:22
While I can see the savings in keeping only 2 styles of wheels (tarmac and gravel), I can imagine that a wider tire would require more studs, making it marginally more expensive.

I think the Swedish organizers are paranoid about safety in fear they may lose the event.

If my memory serves me right, the number of studs is limited by the regulations. Although it could be a number/square cm and that would mean more studs as you said.

L5->R5/CR
4th October 2007, 21:25

The carrying costs of a second set of wheels shouldn't be that significant.

Realistically you only need to replace the set after the initial purchase if you make design changes to the car, which means you have accepted and begun your own increase to costs.

Most of the teams have partners/sponsors that cover a significant portion of wheel costs anyway.

The change is very likely relating to the desire to go to a spec tire. If Pirelli only has to make one base tarmac and non-tarmac carcass it makes it cheaper and easier to make the tires...

DonJippo
4th October 2007, 22:32
If my memory serves me right, the number of studs is limited by the regulations. Although it could be a number/square cm and that would mean more studs as you said.

The regulation is event/country specific so it depends about regulation for example in Sweden. Measurement they use in Finland is number of studs per 10cm of the perimeter and not studs/square cm but don't know if the method is the same elsewhere.

WRXedUSA
4th October 2007, 22:47
Most of the teams have partners/sponsors that cover a significant portion of wheel costs anyway.

True, but that is one hell of an assumption given the sponsorship environment even at the WRC level.

Moreso, it's the idea of having a set of wheels that you only need for one event.

That's the idea here.

L5->R5/CR
5th October 2007, 00:29
True, but that is one hell of an assumption given the sponsorship environment even at the WRC level.

Moreso, it's the idea of having a set of wheels that you only need for one event.

That's the idea here.

I used to have a contact with one of the UK based teams.

2 years ago only one team paid for wheels and they paid cost which was supposedly 20% of MSRP.

I'm just saying, teams have hundreds of wheels, what is another 50 wheels a car in the grand scheme of things since they can be used year after year?

Odds are 3 gear boxes cost more than a years worth of wheels, how about making for less expensive gear boxes?

JAM
5th October 2007, 01:24
If this measure is related to cost saveing in weels... it's a joke. 50 Rims to a team is nothing on a budget of millions.

ShiftingGears
5th October 2007, 02:57
Less grip, slower speeds, more sideways action, perhaps?